What Are These 'so called' Parents Doing!!

Options
1121314151618»

Replies

• paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Wow. Can't believe I read all 14 pages. Really can't believe that the OP has nothing further to add! Guess she's worried about her job at this point, now her profile is blank!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    Oh and before I forget...parents look at bento boxes!!

There are some great ideas out there and they are always so wholesome.

I mean how darling is this!?!

teddy-bear-bento-box-420-an-spoonful-recipe.jpg?itok=Ac4V5tdY

http://justbento.com/handbook/bento-basics

because I have nothing else to do.

Note we live in Queensland, Australia and there are no fridges for the kids to keep their lunches in. Yes we use insulated lunch boxes with ice blocks inside, but they only keep cool if not opened in between and here kids eat both at morning tea and at lunch so the only way to send anything like this would be 2 lunch boxes.

Another issue is that whilst I fight the good fight at home with regards to nutrition, I don't think it is fair to include the teacher into this. My kids are both prepared to not eat if they don't like it and as a teacher, dear OP, do you want to sit with them to make them eat or do you want to deal with the resulting behaviour if they don't eat (it's hard to pay attention to lessons if you are hungry).
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Do your grade one students know the difference between 'their', 'there' and 'they're'? Maybe they can help you out. :wink: Sorry, couldn't resist. :blushing:

Well don't I feel stupid...I was SO 'into' posting these pics that I didn't edit this at all...I also left out the word 'day' too!
    What can you do???LOL

Well, you can be less judgemental and refrain from posting such things; you can take a hot minute and reread your post, not only for spelling and grammatical errors, but as a self-check as to the appropriateness of the post... You can mind your own business.

Might I add, you only posted a few things- I would be concerned if that were a child's entire lunch; however, I'm more inclined to believe there are healthier things included in those lunches than just what you've posted.

Wasn't it just last night that you were giving everyone lessons on the correct way to "'help' someone without being a douche"? (Or am I confusing you with someone else?)

No, you're not confused. And, to be clear, I wasn't giving lessons, I was giving an example. If you have an issue with my example, or my use of certain words, perhaps you should look inward and assess why you are offended. :bigsmile: Have a wonderful day!

MFP has been responsible for a great deal of introspection and self-assessment for me.

That is SO wonderful to hear. I wish it explained the b-h you seem to be experiencing (i'm now terrified of using a "bad" word) over my post whichy" was not directed to any particular person. But hey, good on you, buddy!

Me, b-h? I don't think so. I'm just one of those rare individuals on MFP who believe that each thread is not in a vacuum and what a member says on one thread should be consistent with what they say on other threads. I like continuity and consistency. I also have a keen eye for hypocrisy.

Oh, and here's a flower: :flowerforyou:

So, by using your aforementioned logic, my comment towards the OP was "d*****y"? I was not a jerk to the OP, because what she has posted is judgemental; it is a bit rude, and instead of doing that, she could have elected to refrain from it, she could have proof read her post... As I've said before, things can be quite subjective, depending upon our mindset, and methinks your mindset concerning my posts is skewed by my use of a less than kind term, however general it might have been.

ETA: If you'd like to see my 'continuity and consistency' take a gander through my past posts. There aren't that many, relatively speaking.

I missed the ETA edit. Sneaky sneaky. Was that a jab about my number of posts? Yeah, MFP gives me the same credit for posts made in groups, posts made in serious threads, and even my few posts made in CCF&G. You'll probably find this hard to believe, but some of those were even helpful posts.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Wow. Can't believe I read all 14 pages. Really can't believe that the OP has nothing further to add! Guess she's worried about her job at this point, now her profile is blank!

It was blank to begin with.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Oh, how easy it is to call down from the plateau of perfection..

Tell us more, on how to raise our children, my "so called" prophet!

^^THIS^^
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Mind your own damn business. People like YOU should never have kids.

Or be teaching them...i sure hope you're not my daughters teacher!
  • Hildy_J
    Hildy_J Posts: 1,050 Member
    Options
    I am not sure what country this is in, but in Australia we have laws as to what school canteens can serve children now, and there is education for kids (in high school mind you). We are the second or third fattest country in the world though, so clearly more needs to be done.

It's the same in the UK, now. You can't send the kids in with sweets, chocolate, biscuits, dippers or fizzy drinks for snacks, or in the lunchbox. I'm assuming the OP lives and teaches in the land of the free (market)?

Things changed after there was a furore about 10 years ago started by celeb chef Jamie Oliver - he made it his business (in a documentary) to find out what was actually going into school dinners. I remember something being fed to many school kids at the time was 'Turkey Twizzlers'. They were made from leftover animal parts... it was just offal! :laugh:

School cooks had been constrained by the school's budget and instructed to feed the kids on pre-packed frozen junk cos it was so cheap. Things got much better once awareness was raised - the rules changed and the cooks could cook again!

I don't know where we (UK) are in obesity tables... fifth in the world? I'm personally trying to get my teenagers to make healthy choices these days... not easy. Not easy for me either! :wink:
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    so basically, if these are really what kids are being given, most people commenting here are defending it?
    Sending a pack of cookies and a pack of chips with a fruit juice is just normal and OK? And people are going on about obesity, but what about the health issues associated with so much processed sugar regardless of your weight? You think that being a healthy weight is the same as being healthy?

The question is, why are parents in the situation to only be sending this crap for their children? It doesn't so much reflect a fault of the parents, but a fault of our society. I am not sure what country this is in, but in Australia we have laws as to what school canteens can serve children now, and there is education for kids (in high school mind you). We are the second or third fattest country in the world though, so clearly more needs to be done.

I was fortunate enough to grow up on lots of vegetables and freshly cooked meals as my parents had the time (worked from home) to provide that. This is a stark reflection on how Western society has completely failed it's most vulnerable. I would get a salad sandwich, banana, water and some crackers (not chemically flavoured), cheese and carrot sticks for lunch/snack at school from my parents.

Whether it is ignorance/the image portrayed of American schools overseas, if I'm not mistaken, school lunches in high school are pizza and hot chips? Doesn't really set a good foundation for the future :/ More reason that I want to escape to some corner of Asia not influenced by Western food and sugar-gluttony

The point is why don't you mind your own business? These aren't YOUR kids. It should be none of your concern what a parent puts in their kid's lunch box. You don't know what goes on at home, so who are you to point the finger and judge? So what if a kid wants some cookies and juice box? They're not going to fall out and have a heart attack. For all you know they may get enough fruits and veggies at HOME. Get your nose out of other people's affairs. :noway:
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    so basically, if these are really what kids are being given, most people commenting here are defending it?
    Sending a pack of cookies and a pack of chips with a fruit juice is just normal and OK? And people are going on about obesity, but what about the health issues associated with so much processed sugar regardless of your weight? You think that being a healthy weight is the same as being healthy?

The question is, why are parents in the situation to only be sending this crap for their children? It doesn't so much reflect a fault of the parents, but a fault of our society. I am not sure what country this is in, but in Australia we have laws as to what school canteens can serve children now, and there is education for kids (in high school mind you). We are the second or third fattest country in the world though, so clearly more needs to be done.

I was fortunate enough to grow up on lots of vegetables and freshly cooked meals as my parents had the time (worked from home) to provide that. This is a stark reflection on how Western society has completely failed it's most vulnerable. I would get a salad sandwich, banana, water and some crackers (not chemically flavoured), cheese and carrot sticks for lunch/snack at school from my parents.

Whether it is ignorance/the image portrayed of American schools overseas, if I'm not mistaken, school lunches in high school are pizza and hot chips? Doesn't really set a good foundation for the future :/ More reason that I want to escape to some corner of Asia not influenced by Western food and sugar-gluttony

Couple of things - first off what law in Australia dictates what is served in school canteens? State health and education departments may offer guidelines but I'm pretty sure it's not in legislature. Although I'm happy to be enlightened if I am incorrect. In WA school canteens are generally run by the P and C and therefore serve what they want, and yes pizza, hot chips and sausage rolls do feature.

Secondly you hit the nail on the head - your parents worked from home and had the time, most don't.

It also sounds like you have a very stereotypical view of the rest of the world based on your comments on America and Asia. Good luck with your future travels, hopefully it will broaden your horizons and help you see the bigger picture.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Dunkaroos yum!
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I just ate a taco and my daughter had a cupcake.

I AM A TERRIBLE MOTHER.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I AM A TERRIBLE MOTHER.
    calling CPS
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I AM A TERRIBLE MOTHER.
    calling CPS

calling Sprinkles
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I'm such a bad parent that I'm so busy parenting my own child I don't have the time to notice and judge other parents.

If I were a teacher, I'd worry more about teaching the students in my classroom than spending the morning taking photos of their snacks. Just sayin'...
  • rileyhunter169
    Options
    When I grow up... I'm giving my kids fried Twinkies... They are going to get super fat.... Joking, but... I will make sure to
    break the cycle of eating disorders that run on both sides; that I got, so moderation on everything I guess.... But I will try to push them into Power lifting, Martial Arts, Cross Country and Track. Not taking any chances with wrestling, ballet or gymnastics. No football neither. But I suppose that would come natural cuz they will be Army Brats, eh? Son of an Officer.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    [
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options

I AM A TERRIBLE MOTHER.
    calling CPS

calling Sprinkles

I've got the chocolate fudge!
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Are those oranges?
    How did those sneak in there?
  • Keep_The_Laughter
    Keep_The_Laughter Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Are those oranges?
    How did those sneak in there?

Crackers, cookies and fruit are all out to kill our children or something. Just a guess...:huh:
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

I AM A TERRIBLE MOTHER.
    calling CPS

How do you know it wasn't a vegan cupcake from Whole Foods?!

CONCLUSION JUMPER.

Kidding aside, I used to live near a WF and they did have an amazing vegan carrot cake cupcake with no artificial sugar.
This discussion has been closed.