can you stll lose belly fat and have carbs?

Options

Replies

• TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options

It seems that food science, like all other science has been compromised by political considerations these days. I once heard a chemist insist that you could get just about any conclusion you wanted in a scientific report (for the right amount of money in a research grant, of course). The whole GMO debacle in Washington is a case in point. Frankenscience will eventually extinguish the vast majority of human life on the planet--if we let it.

So essentially you have no scientific studies to refute his and instead put on a tinfoil hat and claim conspiracy.

Got it.

No--there is a lot of new research that bears on the subject and would likely refute some or all of what has been posted but I'm to busy to go retrieve it. :tongue: There's some interesting obesity/metabolic syndrome research coming out of the University of Colorado and the University of Florida these days.

Too busy to post sources, really? You're obviously not too busy to continue sitting here arguing with people.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs and I think my picture speaks for itself in terms of belly fat.

Have you ever been morbidly obese? I eat carbs myself--but I have to be very careful about the ones I do eat.

I have lost 30kg over the years. I also have no thyroid function and rheumatoid arthritis so do not pay heed to excuses.

Your thyroid function might improve if you cut out gluten--mine did when I drastically cut back on all gluten and eliminated wheat gluten entirely. Here's an article that explains the possible connection of gluten and poor thyroid function: http://keyboardathletes.com/blog/2009/11/05/the-thyroid-gluten-connection/

So your Throid levels improve? So you can be better than normal?
    How would she be able to test thyroid function? She has no reason to ever order lab work for people.

Again you are putting out garbage that was typed out with people that do not have proper credentials

I was hypothyroid before I changed my diet--now my thyroid function is normal. A connection between gluten and thyroid dysfunction is a possibility--I didn't say that it is definitely the case. I am certainly healthier and stronger since I changed my diet--so what is the harm in telling people about it? You people all seem angry--perhaps you should try following a more natural diet--it helps mood problems. :smile:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

It seems that food science, like all other science has been compromised by political considerations these days. I once heard a chemist insist that you could get just about any conclusion you wanted in a scientific report (for the right amount of money in a research grant, of course). The whole GMO debacle in Washington is a case in point. Frankenscience will eventually extinguish the vast majority of human life on the planet--if we let it.

So essentially you have no scientific studies to refute his and instead put on a tinfoil hat and claim conspiracy.

Got it.

No--there is a lot of new research that bears on the subject and would likely refute some or all of what has been posted but I'm to busy to go retrieve it. :tongue: There's some interesting obesity/metabolic syndrome research coming out of the University of Colorado and the University of Florida these days.

Too busy to post sources, really? You're obviously not too busy to continue sitting here arguing with people.

Going chasing after sources would take a lot more time and energy than I have at this point. Bye all! :smile:
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    I am 51 years old. I do not restrict sugar or carbs. I simply eat at a calorie deficit.
  • Gkfrkv
    Gkfrkv Posts: 120
    Options
    Wheat belly has been dubunked and is ridiculous. He clearly misquoted and falsified the information presented. His referenced studies don't support his claims.

You're fine.
    Serious question- Do you have links to studies that have debunked this? I haven't read the book, but have heard of bit about it and it makes sense for some people. Would like to read some scientific studies that have proven it to be untrue, if that is the case. And did it debunk everything that was claimed, or just certain parts?

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.no/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2013/02/diet-book-review-wheat-belly.html
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    Sigh. Just...sigh
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Wheat belly has been dubunked and is ridiculous. He clearly misquoted and falsified the information presented. His referenced studies don't support his claims.

You're fine.
    Serious question- Do you have links to studies that have debunked this? I haven't read the book, but have heard of bit about it and it makes sense for some people. Would like to read some scientific studies that have proven it to be untrue, if that is the case. And did it debunk everything that was claimed, or just certain parts?

http://noglutennoproblem.blogspot.no/2012/03/wheat-belly-busted.html

http://www.weightymatters.ca/2013/02/diet-book-review-wheat-belly.html
    While I agree with this, this is not a study.

It is a review and analysis of the book.
  • lucystacy71
    lucystacy71 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I eat carbs. In fact, I rather like carbs and sugar. I just watch my calories and make sure to exercise. So far, I've lost 40lbs in 4 months.
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I have been following the wrong advice for 50 days on this site. A protein rich diet was making my liver work overtime. Today, I cut back on protein, and ate loads of vegetables to meet my daily allowance of 230 gram. I ate a whole avocado, and have not felt this energetic since I started on MFP. Carbs are energy, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I have been following the wrong advice for 50 days on this site. A protein rich diet was making my liver work overtime. Today, I cut back on protein, and ate loads of vegetables to meet my daily allowance of 230 gram. I ate a whole avocado, and have not felt this energetic since I started on MFP. Carbs are energy, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
    explain to me how your liver is working overtime?
    You do realize excess protein is synthesized into glucose?
    ??
    avocado is mainly fat, I dont know what the whole point of mentioning that was
  • donnam40
    donnam40 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    No my thyroid function will NOT improve if I cut gluten from my diet. I have an auto immune disease that has completely destroyed it - my thyroid is now smaller than a pea and cutting gluten will not make it grow back to it's normal size and suddenly start working.

RA is also an auto immune disease. Pregnancy interfered with my immune system, not gluten or anything else in my diet.

Please be careful about commenting on other people's health issues as someone might take your advice, stop their medication and end up with some serious problems as a result.

Donna
  • IanBee93
    IanBee93 Posts: 237
    Options
    If you want to reduce carbs and drop water weight quickly, then just eat breads once or twice a week. Don't eat breads the day before a weigh in :tongue:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not cause fat. Calorie surpluses cause fat. Eat a calorie deficit and you will lose fat. Resistance traing and you will retain muscle.

There is the perfect answer. So simple and so true.

@Johnny - this is totally OT but I think your cat rocks!

:laugh: Everyone likes my cat more than they like me!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Science is BS! Unless it says what I want it to say, in which case I will use it to support my arguments. Scientific results that do not confirm my preconceived notions, biases, and fears will be summarily rejected as "Frankenscience" that is intentionally misleading us for money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Are you saying then that "science" does not frequently disagree with itself or that money or "professional pride" is not a motivator for some scientists? :smile:

I'm saying that you pick and choose which scientific research to believe and trust based solely on how much it conforms to what you want to believe.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options

I'm confused & I think you are a little too. Avocados are high in fat, not carbs, still, lots of energy to he had whether from carbs or fat. If you are T2D (like I am) eating too much protein can jack up your BG's cause your liver will produce glucose/glycogen from the excess (as in what you don't need for daily function). I'm guessing this is what you meant by your liver working overtime?

Carbs are DEFINITELY energy, but so are other macros and depending on your goals & health situation, not all advice will suit you personally.

I can't do starchy carbs, more specifically, starches or sugars.

Meat, fat & veggies are how I keep my BG's in line & still get enough calories to be able to get through my day without dragging. I have an active job (dog walker) and do quite well.

Good luck & I'm glad you found something that works for you. That's more than 1/2 the battle won right there :drinker:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options

Science is BS! Unless it says what I want it to say, in which case I will use it to support my arguments. Scientific results that do not confirm my preconceived notions, biases, and fears will be summarily rejected as "Frankenscience" that is intentionally misleading us for money.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance

Are you saying then that "science" does not frequently disagree with itself or that money or "professional pride" is not a motivator for some scientists? :smile:

I'm saying that you pick and choose which scientific research to believe and trust based solely on how much it conforms to what you want to believe.

Funny--I was just going to say the same of you. While I don't buy the entire low carb program, I have experimented with my own body and have discovered that cutting out sugar, wheat, and starch in its various forms has enabled me to spend a lot more of my calorie allotment on more nourishing fare, and lose body fat healthfully. Food fractions (which is what sugar and starch represent, are stripped of nutrients that are important to my health and well-being. Why is this so hard for you to understand or accept?
  • toscarthearmada
    toscarthearmada Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    lol, I limit my carbs and still have belly fat...

I use the Insulin Resistance diet where I eat high protein and low carbs. Really it taught me how to properly portion control.
  • GETTAGRIP2013
    Options
    This is funny.
  • knittingbandmom
    knittingbandmom Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Carbs do not cause fat. Calorie surpluses cause fat. Eat a calorie deficit and you will lose fat. Resistance traing and you will retain muscle.

There is the perfect answer. So simple and so true.

@Johnny - this is totally OT but I think your cat rocks!

:laugh: Everyone likes my cat more than they like me!

Sorry Dude but that's a hot cat. Maybe if you ate less carbs . . . . but ONLY before 2:00 in the afternoon. Oh wait - wrong book, my bad ;-)

To the original poster I'm sorry because I'm poking fun but seriously, look at the amazing success here and they eat carbs. Look at the people who don't eat carbs and can you honestly tell a difference? Eat less than you burn, take vitamins, and exercise to tone up. It's so easier said than done. I admit to testing the waters in the no carb thing and I did lose weight but felt horrible. I've finally come around to accepting I have to make "better bad choices" and exercise, which is working just as well but I feel a whole lot better. Please try and have some balance, stay flexible, and go with what works for you.
  • Ithina1
    Ithina1 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    The only carb associated with belly fat is alcohol. The liver prefers to store the excess calories from it in your abdominal fat. I couldn't find the study, but I found this quote. "In general, alcohol intake is associated with bigger waists, because when you drink alcohol, the liver burns alcohol instead of fat," says Michael Jensen, MD, an endocrine expert and obesity researcher with the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minn. ( http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-truth-about-beer-and-your-belly )

There is no way to burn fat in one area, like your belly. The amount of carbs you eat doesn't determine fat. Calorie surplus is what causes fat. You can eat 0 carbs and still gain fat if you eat more calories than you burn.

Some people find reducing carbs, or eating carbs with a lower Glycemic Index, helps them control how many calories they eat. If that works for you, great; use it as a tool and realize that's all it is. Carbs are not good or bad, they're just a macro that gives you energy. I find it easier to control my calories when I eat less higher GI foods. I still eat them, I just plan for how I will deal with the blood sugar crash a few hours later so I can stay within my calorie limit for the day/week.