Article: What no one tells you about losing lots weight

Options

Replies

• KimP202
    KimP202 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    wow, I kept reading through the articles, lots of interesting information in there, thanks for posting
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Just look at many posts here of people who are either close to goal weight or reached it and you'll witness the negative and severe psychological effects of calorie restriction and weight loss.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Just look at many posts here of people who are either close to goal weight or reached it and you'll witness the negative and severe psychological effects of calorie restriction and weight loss.

I think you might be in the wrong thread.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

What are you saying? :angry: :angry: :angry:

:flowerforyou:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

What are you saying? :angry: :angry: :angry:

:flowerforyou:

I do believe that he's saying that he didn't read the OP.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

:frown:
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I can totally relate to this. I'm only really half way to my goal. My sagging stomach is so depressing to me. I was psychologically scarred as a child by my mother who thought her 135 pound 5'7 daughter was too fat and sent her to WW and OA when I was 13. My response to that was to develop a binge eater disorder.

Now 37 years later I am finally free of binge eating but as a result of the way I have treated my body I pay the price. I am realizing that even though I am losing it slowly and exercising that I have to redefine the meaning of what success means for me. I'm terrified of being rejected by a man because of my battle scars. But I am real, and that is me and I can no longer reject who I am.

I cannot control the sagging skin I have but I can control--must control the mindset that I am only as good as the shape of my body.
    I decided the best way to do that was to start blogging and showing my body to the world. It became of the most freeing experiences of my life.

Reading the stories on this thread has been so incredibly helpful and amazing to me.
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    Wow.

I am going to go against the popular sentiment here and say that what I look like after the fact DOES matter to me. I've been ashamed of how I look for all of my adult life. I've cringed in the mirror when I saw myself naked. I've gone for years without letting even my husband truly see me naked. There is no way that after working hard on this for years that I'm going to go through that for the rest of my life. I will opt for surgery. There is no question in my mind about that. If after 2 years of maintaining, giving my skin a chance to catch up, I still have big folds, I'm going to pay to have someone else fix it. While most of my skin is bouncing back okay, I don't know how it'll look. I know that I will never be 100% happy with how I look, but there is a happy medium. Right now I'm doing what I can to try to minimize this issue (lifting, going slow, minimizing LBM losses), but some of it is out of my control.

Years ago, my sister in law had breast enhancement surgery. She caught a lot of flack for it. After breastfeeding her nipples inverted. It was impacting her marriage, due to her inhibitions caused by shame about her breasts. She has never regretted that surgery. Her lack of confidence wasn't just manifested in her reaction to her breasts, it was CAUSED by her breast's appearance..

While saying something like "I will never have the body of a 25 year old" is a great sentiment (you know I love you Beach), there are levels here. The pain in her after pictures is real. It's a part of it. To tell someone to just not focus on the aesthetics isn't realistic when you are dealing with that type of disfigurement.

My weight gain was caused in large part by a medical condition that was overlooked for a decade and a half. Yes, some of it was behavioral. But that doesn't make me more deserving of being happy with my appearance than someone who has faced whatever emotional demons they had. However, the key is to have faced those demons. Not just lost weight quickly.

This is another reason that going slow is really a good thing for most. It gives you a chance to work through your issues.

And yes, most of my goals are fitness related. But that I care what I look like after the fact is perfectly fine, too.

You are the most beautiful badass I know.

An inspiration.
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options

Agreed.

And note how I realized you wrote 'many posts...' and not 'all posts...' There's obviously a ton of psychological consequences to losing weight. Not for EVERYBODY, but for a lot of people. :( It's sad.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    tagging for later
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Julia's website and work is fascinating for me, on several levels. Yes, she did lose 160lbs in a relatively short period of time but that doesn't detract from the basic points being discussed around self-perception and weight loss. At the end of the day, a lot of the failures of the flesh do require perception adjustments - but I'm curious - how many people would likely give up without some ideal driving force?

I hate that here I am, at 47, and for almost 15 years I led a very sedentary life - even if I never became morbidly obese, but letting go for so long means that today my potential is just so much less. This does reduce for me the drive to excel to a minor degree and I readjust, almost daily, to address what I hope are still more realistic objectives. Well, if you listen to the people around me, they think I'm crazy.

I'm troubled by the discussion of "realistic-expectations" because, as valuable as it might seem to help someone prepare and address for the end result it is also the "thousand deaths by paper cuts" of not striving for an ideal. Yes, I know I won't reach all the Everests of my mind, and that perhaps now each is a dirty, over-visited, common place but, dammit, I'm going to try and enjoy my journey there.

When we look at her "travelogue" of pictures on her "journey" despite the destination being more the back-alleys of Calcutta versus the expected Taj Mahal she seems to (mostly) have a great time on the trip - and dress like a little girl playing princess quite a few times. I think part of that is lost when we only consider the end result of loose skin, I saw the up thread discussion of the health benefits, and capabilities. Add to this that each day is a resetting of goals and expectations and self-appreciation.

Perhaps, I don't know, it just takes time to have more perspective of who and what you are becoming - whether you go fast or slow.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Julia's website and work is fascinating for me, on several levels. Yes, she did lose 160lbs in a relatively short period of time but that doesn't detract from the basic points being discussed around self-perception and weight loss. At the end of the day, a lot of the failures of the flesh do require perception adjustments - but I'm curious - how many people would likely give up without some ideal driving force?

I hate that here I am, at 47, and for almost 15 years I led a very sedentary life - even if I never became morbidly obese, but letting go for so long means that today my potential is just so much less. This does reduce for me the drive to excel to a minor degree and I readjust, almost daily, to address what I hope are still more realistic objectives. Well, if you listen to the people around me, they think I'm crazy.

I'm troubled by the discussion of "realistic-expectations" because, as valuable as it might seem to help someone prepare and address for the end result it is also the "thousand deaths by paper cuts" of not striving for an ideal. Yes, I know I won't reach all the Everests of my mind, and that perhaps now each is a dirty, over-visited, common place but, dammit, I'm going to try and enjoy my journey there.

When we look at her "travelogue" of pictures on her "journey" despite the destination being more the back-alleys of Calcutta versus the expected Taj Mahal she seems to (mostly) have a great time on the trip - and dress like a little girl playing princess quite a few times. I think part of that is lost when we only consider the end result of loose skin, I saw the up thread discussion of the health benefits, and capabilities. Add to this that each day is a resetting of goals and expectations and self-appreciation.

Perhaps, I don't know, it just takes time to have more perspective of who and what you are becoming - whether you go fast or slow.
    Wow. You nailed it. I wanted to say so much more on this thread when I commented earlier, but couldn't find the words. The part I bolded, I find particularly striking. I was troubled too, because I don't find having 'realistic expectations' very motivating, quite the opposite. I need to strive for the ideal, even if it is perhaps unattainable. I think most people like to dream big, and why not? There's no finish line anyway. :drinker:
  • purple_tux1
    purple_tux1 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    If you're one of those people that has alot of hanging skin after weightloss, you can always get it cut off right?

After 2 pregnancies, I have no expectations of looking 17 again. That's life.
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I truly felt for her. I have 2 children and there are days when looking down and seeing the stretchmarks and lumps and bumps is really hard. Losing weight is only the first step. The self-hatred needs to be address too and that takes longer :-)
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    Interesting. Well, my original goal was to fit into smaller clothes, and I have made a lot of progress on that already. I've never expected a flawless body, and I'm well aware that the images in magazines are photoshopped. I do care what I look like, but ultimately, I will be happy and feel that I have succeeded just as long as I'm able to maintain a healthy weight. I've had high self-esteem and people in my life who found me attractive at every weight I have been, so I have not struggled with those kinds of issues.

That said, I do find it dismaying that now, at a US size 8 and only 3 pounds overweight according to BMI, I am still being hit on by men who are fat fetishists on the dating site I'm on. I wonder what weight/size I need to be to no longer be objectified as a fatty. Isn't the average American woman a size 14? I'm way below that average. I wonder whether some of the men who think they're into fat chicks just have super unrealistic views of what regular women look like.
  • judilockwood
    judilockwood Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    bump to read later x
  • lgrix
    lgrix Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    If you're one of those people that has alot of hanging skin after weightloss, you can always get it cut off right?

Yes. But in full disclosure: it is very expensive, generally not covered by insurance, and involves a painful recovery. So, enough to give one pause.

My way of dealing with this concern is knowing that if after an adjustment period, I'm very unhappy with my results, I'll have it done. But, it's not a quick fix.
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    Options

Yes. But in full disclosure: it is very expensive, generally not covered by insurance, and involves a painful recovery. So, enough to give one pause.

My way of dealing with this concern is knowing that if after an adjustment period, I'm very unhappy with my results, I'll have it done. But, it's not a quick fix.

And you'll still look good in clothes. :flowerforyou: And there might only be one or two areas that you're unhappy with, requiring surgery, and if you finance the surgery it's not too much of a financial obstacle. I think I would do the surgery if it was something I had to deal with, it's all about doing for yourself the things that make you more comfortable in your own skin. If you don't need surgery to do that, great, but if you do, then you should get it. These bodies have to last us our whole lives, I think we should do whatever we want to make them suit us better. :wink:
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!