Polar loop - reviews? To buy or not ?

Options
Has anyone bought the polar loop yet ?
I ve been wanting to buy an HRM for the longest time, and I was confused between buying a Polar FT4 to track exercise calories vs Fitbit for tracking daily activity. Looks like the Polar loop is a combination of both?
Also does it comes with the chest strap or do I need to buy a separate one?
Any input will be appreciated!

Replies

• Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Looks interesting. But a bit pricey for me since the strap doesn't come with it and it isn't compatible with the one I already have.
  • Evergrump
    Options
    It looks as if it's shipping from polar.com now. I've been looking into it to use with my h7 chest strap with the iPhone. It would eliminate having to navigate the phone on your arm while running. Also, it can be used for swimming laps. It does not come with a strap. It's an additional 60-80 for the h6-h7. You can't place a price on your health! It's like buying a high end motorcycle and then a cheap helmet.
  • James0808
    Options
    I was debating the same thing and ended up preordering it and got it last week..

Don't walk, run and buy one now.

It's $100 and I got the h7 for 59 on amazon.. So for 159 I got all this data and a heart rate sensor. whereas the fitbit force, jawbone up are between $129 and $149 .. This is a no brainer..

You'll thank me afterr!!
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I got the Polar Loop on Friday because of the HRM function and the fact that it is waterproof. I have used a Fitbit Ultra, BodyMedia, and BodyBugg for daily 24/7 tracking and a Polar RCX5 HRM for workouts.

My biggest issue with the Fitbit Ultra is that it recorded a lot of activity while I drove. Although it could be overridden, I found doing this to be a burden. It also, didn't work well with spinning/cyling, kayaking...for these activities, my calorie burn was about what it is if I were sitting doing nothing. And it can't be worn swimming.

The BodyMedia and BodyBugg are similar. I've worn one or the other for a year and a half and I'm just plan tired of the armband. It isn't attractive and I'm starting to get occasional rashes from it. Although I believe it is superior to the Fitbit for calorie burn and activity tracking, it still doesn't work well with spinning/cycling and can't be worn swimming. I spin regularly and my typical calorie burn on BodyMedia is about 1/2 what my HRM shows.

So the Polar Loop is nice because, when I'm doing activities like spinning that can be an intense workout, but not really a lot of all body motion, I can wear the HR7 strap and my calorie burn will be based on my heart rate, not the motion sensor in the band. Then I have a more accurate daily calorie burn all in one neat place. And the Polar Loop & HR7 are waterproof. I'm loving this.

If you don't care about it being waterproof, I'd suggest you also consider a Basis. Although it is more expensive (around $199), reviews say it is worth it.

There are drawbacks to the Polar Loop and I'm hoping Polar will address them.

It will not sync with MFP
    There isn't an Android App
    You can't use the wrist band only to track an activity session. It will create a session whenever the HR7 is paired.
    Overall, I believe the display of data on the BodyMedia and Fitbit websites is better.

For me, overall, this is still the best device on the market.

Good luck with your decision.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I liked the idea of the Loop, but the more I read, the less enthused I become.

There's some info over on the Polar forums re: Loop and (the seemingly unlikely) integration with MFP, as well as some limitations of the HRM integration: http://forum.polar.fi/showthread.php?p=78421

Sadly, Polar's never really been known for integrating with anyone -- apart from what the various standards allow through import/export of HRM+GPS data -- so I'm not really holding my breath that they're going to suddenly "see the light" on this one.

I have the H7 HRM strap, and I'll continue to use it with non-Polar apps on my iPhone or Android, but Polar's apps and web-site, pretty bluntly, suck. No way I'm getting locked into using just Polar Flow, even if it were to attempt MFP-like functionality. Integration is a must for a general activity tracker like Fitbit or Loop.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I received mine a couple days ago and so far so good. I was a little nervous with some of the reviews and feedback on their Facebook page. I chose it because I like the idea of adding an HRM since I always wear my Garmin or my Polar F11 during workouts. I have also used the Bodybugg in the past and I really liked everything about it but wearing it on my arm obviously got old. And sometimes I would get a skin irritation from it. I also have an Android and I know the app is not coming to March of 2014 but that doesn't bother me. I have no problem just uploading to my PC. I even called their support this morning with a couple questions and was happy with that service. I've never really been good at tracking my food except when I used the Bodybugg but I've always loved fitness gadgets and I like the feedback they give me during working out. Do I wish my old band worked with the Loop, of course but it wasn't a deal breaker.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    I have had one since the second day of release and I think it is GOING to be a great tool. Others have talked about the Beta issues which are being cleared up.Some have mentioned the lack of integration and that is going to be a NEW FRONTIER for Polar, we will see how they do. Nobody has mentioned the best feature to me which is Age based goals for activity and not just X number of steps like most activity trackers. For the Loop your activity credit is based on intensity/heart rate, this means that a step of low intensity like walking from the couch to the fridge is not given the same credit as treadmill with the chest strap. I can have only 4000 steps but meet my activity goals. I also like the wrist location because it captures more of the elliptical as steps as well. Integration with Polar Beat app also gives you a way of entering a personal VO2 number which makes a big difference in how the calories are calculated.

I like the Activity perspective but still going to use my Bodymedia as the input to MFP
  • Canuname
    Canuname Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I really like the idea of the loop, but after chatting with polar tech support about the loop I can't see buying one. It doesn't link to any outside websites or apps and they do not plan on doing so anytime in the future. It can be used while swimming but the HRM wont work while swimming. I have the fitbit flex which I love and just bought the force which is what the flex should have been from day one, but it has its flaws also. The biggest being it is not waterproof. Why they would make a upgrade to the flex and not include waterproof is beyond me. It has one button. Not sure why they weren't able to make it waterproof. I find myself all the time going to wash my hands or take a shower and almost getting it wet because of being used to wearing the flex all the time. There are actually a bunch of new activity monitors coming out soon that will be nicer than all of the previous ones available now. One in the works has a built in HRM right in the bracelet. I am really interested in that one. It is called the Amiigo. http://www.self.com/blogs/flash/2013/03/fitness-amiigo-tracker-records-activity-your-heart-rate.html
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have the FT4 with the new style chest band - would that link in with the loop?
  • VegasFit
    Options
    I have the FT4 with the new style chest band - would that link in with the loop?

It has to be blue tooth like the h6 or h7 I believe so if your chest strap is blue tooth should work.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options

I think "New Style" refers to the soft band versus the old hard plastic bands. Any Bluetooth band will work other than Polar,s but the sensor will have a Bluetooth symbol (pointy looped B). The one that ships with the standard FT4 will not work. An H7 costs about $65.

The low energy chest strap will work with a lot of exercise apps as well.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Canuname - The Amiigo looks really cool. I think the HRM works when you swim with the Loop and HR7. I should swim soon and I will let you know for sure.

I have the Loop and posted previously about it in this forum. Right now, it really isn't working for me. It has potential, but every time I plug it into the website, it zeros out my activity for the day, then it won't download any additional activity for a day. So if I plug it at 2 PM. It downloads midnight to 2PM to the website, then 2PM to midnight is on the wristband until midnight, then gone forever. It kind of closes the day once you plug in. Polar says they are working on issues, but they aren't specific about what issues or when they will be fixed. It's actually been a frustrating experience. I'm trying to be patient to see if Polar works out the issues before I return it.

My husband isn't having the problems I'm having. He is using the Loop with his Iphone - Polar Beat and Polar Flow apps.
  • Harts52
    Options
    I'm disappointed with the Loop.

I've had it for a week. The minute I took it out of the box, I had reservations. The band has to be custom fit by cutting off incremental sections. Let me tell you, I was never so nervous to use scissors in my life! For anyone reading this before snipping, my advice is to be very careful that you don't accidentally cut through the "tunnel" or it will be ruined. Luckily, when I did this, the band was still too big so I was able to trim off some more and recover from my mistake.

Another down side of the custom size - if I ever want to sell this, my audience will be limited to someone with a wrist my size or smaller :-(

Box instructions are poor. Online instructions aren't much better without downloading the manual.

Battery life is supposed to be 5 days. So far, mine is half that. I'm hoping that improves.

The biggest complaints from me are:

(1) It isn't recording activity correctly. For example, yesterday's summary implies that I removed it in my sleep for an hour or so on two different occasions and put it back on. It also says that I burned 1711 calories. That wouldn't be suspect if it wasn't for the fact that I injured my leg and am in a walking cast, so I'm barely mobile. On the few occasions that I tried to check step-count accuracy, it has been way off, usually under-counting by 30-50%.

(2) It is supposed to send an inactivity alert if I am not mobile for more than an hour. The inactivity is supposed to mean I'm sitting for more than an hour. According to the website, this occurred only once ( more like 5-8x) and I have yet to receive an alert, ever.

There are complaints from other users at the App Store and other places on the web about bugginess, so I am crossing my fingers that this is going to all be worked out in time. I purchased mine as a preorder from HRM USA. I spoke to them today and they said they will refund or replace within 30 days, regardless of the fact that the strap is customized, so at least that's reassuring. I'm opting to talk to Polar tech support first and I'll give it another couple weeks before I decide whether to keep it or return it. If it will do everything that it is supposed to, I think I'll be very happy with it but, for now, I can't recommend it.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I had one on order that hadn't shipped yet so I've cancelled it. I think I'll go back to my original choice of the Fitbit Force instead. Polar has been great at HRM's but it sounds like they need to put a bit more R & D into the Loop.
  • VegasFit
    Options
    I'm with you. The first couple days were fine. But then I had the date problem. And now it won't recognize my internet connection. My BF pre ordered mine from the same website and I was going to give it another week for them to get the glitches fix and probably return. For as many Polar products as I've had I'm surprised they would release a product that wasn't ready. They are being responsive to complaints on their Facebook but unless I see some action soon it's going back!

I had no problem cutting it cause I'm so paranoid so I watched the video first! Lol. It said do not cut through tunnel but I do find it odd that none of the other activity trackers need to be cut. I had looked into the Amiigo too but what sold me on the the Loop was the chest strap capability.

As far as battery life I notice it drops about 10% each day.

I'm disappointed with the Loop.

I've had it for a week. The minute I took it out of the box, I had reservations. The band has to be custom fit by cutting off incremental sections. Let me tell you, I was never so nervous to use scissors in my life! For anyone reading this before snipping, my advice is to be very careful that you don't accidentally cut through the "tunnel" or it will be ruined. Luckily, when I did this, the band was still too big so I was able to trim off some more and recover from my mistake.

Another down side of the custom size - if I ever want to sell this, my audience will be limited to someone with a wrist my size or smaller :-(

Box instructions are poor. Online instructions aren't much better without downloading the manual.

Battery life is supposed to be 5 days. So far, mine is half that. I'm hoping that improves.

The biggest complaints from me are:

(1) It isn't recording activity correctly. For example, yesterday's summary implies that I removed it in my sleep for an hour or so on two different occasions and put it back on. It also says that I burned 1711 calories. That wouldn't be suspect if it wasn't for the fact that I injured my leg and am in a walking cast, so I'm barely mobile. On the few occasions that I tried to check step-count accuracy, it has been way off, usually under-counting by 30-50%.

(2) It is supposed to send an inactivity alert if I am not mobile for more than an hour. The inactivity is supposed to mean I'm sitting for more than an hour. According to the website, this occurred only once ( more like 5-8x) and I have yet to receive an alert, ever.

There are complaints from other users at the App Store and other places on the web about bugginess, so I am crossing my fingers that this is going to all be worked out in time. I purchased mine as a preorder from HRM USA. I spoke to them today and they said they will refund or replace within 30 days, regardless of the fact that the strap is customized, so at least that's reassuring. I'm opting to talk to Polar tech support first and I'll give it another couple weeks before I decide whether to keep it or return it. If it will do everything that it is supposed to, I think I'll be very happy with it but, for now, I can't recommend it.
  • ChrisPolar
    Options
    Hi All,

Chris from Polar here. Some great discussion in here!

We value customer feedback very much, and proactively search for discussions like these to improve functionality of everything we offer.

Just wanted to touch on a few things mentioned in this thread.

1) We have experienced a minor bug in the webservice on release that a few of you mentioned. We identified the bug late last week and have a fix in the works (updated Flowsync) due out in the next 48 hours or so. We were very confident the service was ready, but something made it's way through the cracks. Sorry for the inconvenience! We will make up for it.

2) We realize that we have some opportunity to add some key functionality to the experience, which we're aggressively evaluating what makes sense for us. MFP integration has been top on the list of what people want.

The most important thing for us is that we can provide a useful device that goes beyond what you've seen so far. Between heart rate training, and real intensity based goals we feel we're doing that already - Don't forget, we have over 30 years of experience helping people use data to improve their health. That's something that clearly makes a big difference.

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions,

Chris
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT4, and I LOVE IT. I've had it for 15 months now, and it's performed flawlessly for me. I just had to replace the batteries after 15 months of usage. I don't need a lot of fancy capabilities, just need to be able to track calories accurately based on my height/weight/sex. I've had friends that have used FitBit and ended up switching to the Polar because it seems much more accurate.

**I realize my response is not in regards to the "Polar Loop" itself, but my opinion on the Polar brand in general, particularly the FT4 watch, I love mine!! I have no issues logging my calories in manually after I get the readings off my watch since I am already logged foot into MFP daily too**
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    The Polar Loop looks interesting and if it had come out a year ago I'd probably have one.

Right now, I use the Fitbit One t keep track of my daily activity level and the Polar FT4 to keep track of my heart rate during intentional cardio exercise. The Polar Loop doesn't look like it's compatible with the chest strap/transmitter of the FT4 so that would be an additional cost.

Some thoughts:
    - It's a wristband that you wear 24/7 so it's very visible. Although it does look fairly cool, how long would I want to do that? I wear the Fitbit One on my bra strap so it's out of site.
    - Stylish? Meh.
    - I don't sync my Fitbit One with MFP and don't really see a need to. (Just my personal preference and what works for me.)
    - Cost - What I have now is working for me, and this would be another $150 ($100 for the Loop and another $50 for the chest strap).

If I was just starting out and into gadgets like I am this would be a no-brainer. But for me, not right now. The combo of the Polar FT4 and the Fitbit One is working just fine (for now).
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I don't buy Polar products anymore after sending my HRM in for a new battery. They kept it for a month, charged me $20 for a $3 battery, didn't change the strap battery despite it being almost dead and then shipped the HRM back to me in an envelope despite that I shipped it to them in a box.