Polar loop - reviews? To buy or not ?

Options

Replies

• George1567
    Options
    Been a long time Polar user, bought my F55 in 2008 and it was bulletproof. Decided to upgrade a few years back, I got an FT80 and the wife got an FT60. Neither have held up at all, sent in for repairs, charged for "damage", and overall TERRIBLE customer service from Polar.

I don't know anything about the LOOP, but the Polar company that built an industry leading product of years past is no more.
  • janessanessa
    janessanessa Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I don't buy Polar products anymore after sending my HRM in for a new battery. They kept it for a month, charged me $20 for a $3 battery, didn't change the strap battery despite it being almost dead and then shipped the HRM back to me in an envelope despite that I shipped it to them in a box.

The batteries are able to be purchased at Walmart or Amazon.com, and easy to replace at home. I am sorry you had a bad experience with them. Sounds like they did take advantage of you by charging you that much for one battery, then taking so long to return it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I don't buy Polar products anymore after sending my HRM in for a new battery. They kept it for a month, charged me $20 for a $3 battery, didn't change the strap battery despite it being almost dead and then shipped the HRM back to me in an envelope despite that I shipped it to them in a box.

The batteries are able to be purchased at Walmart or Amazon.com, and easy to replace at home. I am sorry you had a bad experience with them. Sounds like they did take advantage of you by charging you that much for one battery, then taking so long to return it.

I just sent my H7 in under warranty as it stopped working. Despite me putting a new battery in it, they said the battery was bad. They replaced it and shipped it back to me. Works just fine now. And they covered it under warranty. They had it for all of 2 days. The costs listed was $13.95 for a battery and I think $6.95 for shipping. So yes it would have been $20 if it hadn't been covered under warranty. But I was pleased with my service. I had no issue with it being returned in a nicely padded envelope. A box is not required.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I've had a Loop for about a week. I got it after being very happy with a Fitbit One because: (a) I kept losing the One and wanted to try a bracelet; and (b) wanted something that was waterproof; and (c) wanted something that was capable of pairing with a HRM.

So far, I am VERY disappointed with the Loop. The software/web platform suck big time. To enumerate all that does not work (on either the web or iPhone app) would make a list so long, it would put you in a coma. Suffice it to say that none of it works.

The hardware is interesting. It does appear to be waterproof and synchs up like magic with the H7 HRM (wish I could say the same for my iPhone).

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Fitbit Force and will gladly forgo the the extra benefits I sought to derive from the Loop in exchange for an activity monitor that actually provides the basic functionality I came to expect and enjoy from my Fitbit One.
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I've had a Loop for about a week. I got it after being very happy with a Fitbit One because: (a) I kept losing the One and wanted to try a bracelet; and (b) wanted something that was waterproof; and (c) wanted something that was capable of pairing with a HRM.

So far, I am VERY disappointed with the Loop. The software/web platform suck big time. To enumerate all that does not work (on either the web or iPhone app) would make a list so long, it would put you in a coma. Suffice it to say that none of it works.

The hardware is interesting. It does appear to be waterproof and synchs up like magic with the H7 HRM (wish I could say the same for my iPhone).

I'm anxiously awaiting the arrival of my Fitbit Force and will gladly forgo the the extra benefits I sought to derive from the Loop in exchange for an activity monitor that actually provides the basic functionality I came to expect and enjoy from my Fitbit One.

Couldn't agree more! I contacted HRM USA today about returning it. It will be two weeks on Monday and it's worked properly one day and even then the website is horrible. I work out twice a week at six am and I see no breakdown. Add to that it's linked to the chest strap twice and that was no small feat getting that to happen.

As far as my previous Polar HRM when it was still under warranty and I was anal about voiding that I sent it in a couple times for battery replacement with no problems. But taking it to the my local watch store and letting them do it has been fine. I've had my F11 since 05 and honestly I am going back to using it.

I would advise anyone even thinking of buying the Loop just DON'T DO IT! It's a piece of crap!
  • goneridn
    Options
    I got my Loop a few days after release. Arrived very quickly from Polar. Overall, I have been enjoying it. It is my first Tracker. I had already been using my H7 with my iPhone 5. I love the H7 and using it to workout. I found the loop worked well with H7, but doesn't work well as a need to look at type of HR monitor. It did do a great job working, but the feature iof say being in a certain HR zone was difficult with having to need to push button and check it. The iPhone app worked much better.

I think if they combined the features of The Beat app with the Flow app, then HR would be much better. Right now, I such up with iPhone beat app instead of the Loop. I like the zone feature of that app. The loop is just a basic graph. I have to do too much thinking to figure out what some I am in when using loop. But it works well, just not the way I get most function for the way I want it to work.

I have had a few issues with Loop turning off at night and needing to be resyched to turn back on. Will touch base with Polar tomorrow to resolve. Plus, it is only keeping a charge for a single day. I do swim with it on. It seems to run out of charge faster on those days.

It has done a fairly great job tracking sleep and patterns for me. didn't think id like that, but do.

I do wish you could set your own goals vs being told random ones. I like that it gives me a ballpark guess of what will get me activity goal, but I am in training mode for Tri's so I already know what I will do that day to be active.

Also, would like to be able to add what activity that I do when I do it. I can do that with H7 and Beat app.

All in all i know a new product. Trust it will get resolved and they can help me get it working right. Will try to keep up to date.
  • Manda_1986
    Manda_1986 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I have been waiting for something like this to come out. I think I will wait a bit. See how other people find it.
  • aquababie
    Options
    I've had my Loop for about two weeks now. I pre-ordered from Polar. So far it works for me. I'm coming from using the BodyMedia, which I did really like. I will miss the MFP automatic data dump, but I think I can live with that. I'm not having some of the issues people are mentioning like the syncing issues with the phone, missing inactivity alerts and data being wrong or short life. My main issue is that the Polar FlowSync software doesn't work on my MacBook. I have set it up a Windows computer, but it refuses to work on my Mac. In talking with the Polar reps, they did say they had issue with it working on Mac OS. I have an H7 and I really like being able to pair and see my results while working out at the gym or running.
  • VegasFit
    Options
    I've had my Loop for about two weeks now. I pre-ordered from Polar. So far it works for me. I'm coming from using the BodyMedia, which I did really like. I will miss the MFP automatic data dump, but I think I can live with that. I'm not having some of the issues people are mentioning like the syncing issues with the phone, missing inactivity alerts and data being wrong or short life. My main issue is that the Polar FlowSync software doesn't work on my MacBook. I have set it up a Windows computer, but it refuses to work on my Mac. In talking with the Polar reps, they did say they had issue with it working on Mac OS. I have an H7 and I really like being able to pair and see my results while working out at the gym or running.

How are you pairing? I'm soaking the damn thing and nothing. My other straps just put on and didn't even wet first. I can't sync with my phone since there is no app. I really liked the Bodymedia interface. This one is horrible compared to that.

I just feel like if you are Polar if you release something the bugs should be worked out.
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options
    How are you pairing? I'm soaking the damn thing and nothing. My other straps just put on and didn't even wet first. I can't sync with my phone since there is no app. I really liked the Bodymedia interface. This one is horrible compared to that.

I just feel like if you are Polar if you release something the bugs should be worked out.

There is an app for the loop but only for an apple OS. To pair the loop to the chest strap hold it up to the sensor when you are wearing it and hold the button down until the display goes off, it should be pared. Just push the button to cycle through the views and you should see a heart and a number representing the beat. To stop pairing take the sensor off. Note Bluetooth technology does not allow more than one device to connect at a time so if you have an app on your phone that is sensing the HR sensor it will not pair with the loop. This is a Bluetooth standard not a Polar glitch. If you want the Loop to receive the signal make sure any other app that usees the HR signal like Icardio or Beat is not paired.

There have recently been updates on the website and the app and most complaints have been addressed it seems, Mine is working fine and I like it a lot.
  • VegasFit
    Options
    I've followed the steps to pair too mant times to count. It worked for two workouts and even then it was a challenge to pair. I knew there wasn't an app for droid when I ordered it and coming from Bodymedia didn't mind knowing I had to upload through my pc Just seems from the reviews I've read the only way people are getting proper data is through the phone app. I'm glad you're happy with it. I wanted to be too but it's a piece of crap in my opinion. There are still people having issues after the last update. You can see the complaints on their FB pages. Fyi. When I am trying to pair my phone is no where near me.

There is an app for the loop but only for an apple OS. To pair the loop to the chest strap hold it up to the sensor when you are wearing it and hold the button down until the display goes off, it should be pared. Just push the button to cycle through the views and you should see a heart and a number representing the beat. To stop pairing take the sensor off. Note Bluetooth technology does not allow more than one device to connect at a time so if you have an app on your phone that is sensing the HR sensor it will not pair with the loop. This is a Bluetooth standard not a Polar glitch. If you want the Loop to receive the signal make sure any other app that usees the HR signal like Icardio or Beat is not paired.

There have recently been updates on the website and the app and most complaints have been addressed it seems, Mine is working fine and I like it a lot.
  • VegasFit
    Options
    Just wanted to update. I spent about 45 minutes on chat and then called in. My Loop and H7 are not pairing and they were not even able to assist me to get it to work over chat or on the phone. So it's possible I have a bum Loop. Even though I did not purchase it through them I am mailing it back to them through a UPS label they provided for examination and possible replacement. So even though I am beyond frustrated it's not working properly kudos to them for their customer service.
  • fyoung1111
    fyoung1111 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I may have an answer for you. I decided today to go back to Runkeeper which was previously paired with my H7 via my iPhone 5s. Had a devil of a time re-pairing it. When I finally succeeded, the LOOP was no longer paired.

Turns out that Bluetooth LE (4.0) uses a master/slave specification that prevents a single slave (your H7) from pairing with more than one master (your loop, Iphone, android, etc.). I bet something else is grabbing your H7 before your LOOP gets a chance.
  • VegasFit
    Options
    Thanks. But I don't have my bluetooth enabled on my phone and no other apps to interfere and phone not nearby when multiple attempts took place. They seem to think its the Loop so sending it in.
    I may have an answer for you. I decided today to go back to Runkeeper which was previously paired with my H7 via my iPhone 5s. Had a devil of a time re-pairing it. When I finally succeeded, the LOOP was no longer paired.

Turns out that Bluetooth LE (4.0) uses a master/slave specification that prevents a single slave (your H7) from pairing with more than one master (your loop, Iphone, android, etc.). I bet something else is grabbing your H7 before your LOOP gets a chance.
  • drazil49
    Options
    I agree with your review 100%! I have had it for 1 week and have found the same issues that you have.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Thanks. But I don't have my bluetooth enabled on my phone and no other apps to interfere and phone not nearby when multiple attempts took place. They seem to think its the Loop so sending it in.

Even if that's the case, if it pairs once, you may need to reset the device to get it to pair to a difference device.

The Fitbit Flex is similar. If you pair it to one phone, then pair it to another phone, you sometimes have to reset the Flex before you can get it to re-pair with the first phone. It's a little wonky to be sure... I'd expect that, once it pairs to one phone, you'd need to reset it to get to pair a second time, but it only seems to require the reset when going back to the first.

No idea if the Loop has a way to reset it like the Flex does, but it might be worth a shot for folks having issues with the pairing.
  • divemunkey
    divemunkey Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've had mine for 2 weeks now. I like it, but have no idea how accurate it is. I'm thinking about maybe wearing my F4 for a day and see how the readings compare as far as calorie burns. I hated the F4, so I never used it. I like how easy to Loop is to wear, but I hate the Flow website. I don't want to have to click and scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page to get my data, Why can't they put that on the calendar page? That would make it a lot easier to compare the days, though I do like the weekly totals at the end of each week. They should make the daily totals the same, and you could have to click the day to see the graphs. I also hope they get the synch fixed, because mine is a day ahead of itself, and that's driving me nuts.
  • Bdfishsr
    Bdfishsr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    21-10-2013, 14:21 #2
    Main User

Originally Posted by benalexe
    Polar needs to hook up to muyfitnesspal it will be a huge success for Poalr loop if it does. It will make the loop substaintallyu better than the fitnbit

Please consider it Polar.
    We'll concentrate on Flow for now. Thanks for the feedback! //kate

Chris I am a little confused by your earlier statement about hooking up with MFP. Kate clearly states Polar has no plans.
  • jasonheyd
    jasonheyd Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    21-10-2013, 14:21 #2
    Main User

Originally Posted by benalexe
    Polar needs to hook up to muyfitnesspal it will be a huge success for Poalr loop if it does. It will make the loop substaintallyu better than the fitnbit

Please consider it Polar.
    We'll concentrate on Flow for now. Thanks for the feedback! //kate

Chris I am a little confused by your earlier statement about hooking up with MFP. Kate clearly states Polar has no plans.

I saw //kate's reply as well... Her reply seemed a little "out of line" to me when I read it. Strange for a company the size of Polar to have someone reply in such a blunt way -- to the effect of "go pound sand" -- while "speaking for the company."

Chris' post here seems a little more in line with what I'd expect... "Thanks for your input, it's valuable to us."

Whether they mean it & will actually deliver on it remains to be seen. While I'm not hugely optimistic, I guess time will tell (and I'll stick with Fitbit or another product that provides integration until it does).
  • AtlantaJJ
    AtlantaJJ Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    FYoung111111 Helped me solve my issue. I think I got the Loop mixed up because I was trying to use it with the Polar Beat app and the Loop App and my H7 HRM interchangeably. I couldn't pair it to the Flow App or to the H7 HRM no matter what I tried.

I just did a reset and everything is working great, the Loop is reading my heart rate and the Loop synced with the Web service through the Flow app.

Here is a link to the Loop manual in PDF format. This is where I found the instructions on how to do a factory reset. I'm looking forward to the upcoming improvements and enhancements of the Loop.

Thanks!!