13 Nutrition Lies That Made The World Sick And Fat

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Good article, too bad this is going to turn into a war zone. It happens every time someone points out the befits of a low carb lifestyle
    Benefits are fine. Demonizing carbs is the issue. Low carb does work, but as I've mentioned for about 90% of the people who try it, it's not sustainable.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Gluten caused my ASD? Given that recent research with eye tracking software, I find it hard to believe my parents fed me bread/doughnuts/pizza/etc in the first 3 months of my life.
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    TL;DR

This is much more interesting

1239704054_drinking_beer.gif

This
    This is excellent except I think those erect nipples are just over the board. I mean, I've never met a woman who gets sexually aroused from drinking craft beer!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with gluten if you're not sensitive or don't have an allergy.

There are some studies showing too much gluten to be bad for you. Something about it building in the intestines and robbing our nutrients. It's not good to eat a lot of bread anyway. ((shrugs shoulders))

Do you have a link to the studies?

Don't you have Google?
    I'm not posting to debate and not taking de bait :wink:

lol..thought as much

That's not the way it works. You make an assertion, you support it.

Pick me apart all you want if it amuses you. I already agreed with your first comment about what I said. I've already said I wasn't stating it as scientific fact. So what more do you want?

I see many others stating opinion as fact.

I am not picking you apart. I asked for you to cite the study, politely mind you. You came back with a rather rude comment.

Also, no you did not say you were not stating it as scientific fact..at all. In fact, quite the opposite.
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member
    Options

There are some studies showing too much gluten to be bad for you. Something about it building in the intestines and robbing our nutrients. It's not good to eat a lot of bread anyway. ((shrugs shoulders))

Do you have these studies?

It's not good to eat a lot of most foods (context relevant).

"It's not good to eat a lot of most foods (context relevant)."

True true...

This is my reply to you. How is this rude? I agreed with you.

Stating that "eating a lot of bread is bad for you anyway" is clearly only my opinion and should have been separated from the previous STATEMENT I agree.

I did not argue with the poster I simply made a comment about something I remembered reading.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Do you have these studies?

It's not good to eat a lot of most foods (context relevant).

"It's not good to eat a lot of most foods (context relevant)."

True true...

This is my reply to you. How is this rude? I agreed with you.

Stating that "eating a lot of bread is bad for you anyway" is clearly only my opinion and should have been separated from the previous STATEMENT I agree.

I did not argue with the poster I simply made a comment about something I remembered reading.

I quoted the relevant post...assuming you are even directing this at me.
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    The comment about not taking de bait was not even directed toward you Sara it was in response to someone else and not meant to be rude...notice the wink.

But I do know to brace myself for a crap storm when someone asks for "proof of what I say is true".

I said it several times in the posts that follow that the context in which I formed my sentence was not ment to be presented as fact.
  • piscesy2k
    piscesy2k Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting, food for thought, but what it highlights, that at all stages things get a bad rap, then gets proven again that they are fine. Studies and scientists can all pro.ve/disprove a theory. At the end of the day, you should do what you believe is best for our body
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/23688532/

Abstract from an article showing no benefit from a gluten-free diet for children with Autism Spectrum Disorder. (I googled, however, I often attend workshops and read papers on this subject). It can be harmful to families to make claims that are false regarding this issue. Parents may go to great lengths to change their child's diets when they hear these false reports, many autistic children already may have food sensitivities which make diet restrictions difficult, and need I mention the tremendous guilt parents feel when they believe from false claims that they may have caused their child's disability because they fed them bread or milk.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    The comment about not taking de bait was not even directed toward you Sara it was in response to someone else and not meant to be rude...notice the wink.

But I do know to brace myself for a crap storm when someone asks for "proof of what I say is true".

I said it several times in the posts that follow that the context in which I formed my sentence was not ment to be presented as fact.

So, it's ok to be rude to someone else?. That person made the same comment as me. And a wink is a cop out.

All you need to do is to state in your original post that you think you read somewhere or something to that effect. I cannot always put my hand to something I remember - and I make that clear in my post. What I do not do is tell someone else to google it...or ask them whether they actually have google.
  • Chess_match
    Options
    Gluten is extremely dangerous. It's becoming more and more evident that foods in their "non-processed" form are the only ones which we should strive to consume. Unfortunately for a significantly large part of the populace, that's completely unrealistic.
  • Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Gluten is extremely dangerous. It's becoming more and more evident that foods in their "non-processed" form are the only ones which we should strive to consume. Unfortunately for a significantly large part of the populace, that's completely unrealistic.

Sucks for me then, I've been relying on home made seitan for protein.
  • dellaquilaa
    dellaquilaa Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    *sigh* I hate seeing posts like this. I've read over a hundred nutrition-related empirical research articles at this point and I've gotta say that the most current research that is NOT funded by agribusiness completely contradicts just about everything in this list.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Dangerous? In what way? How? For whom?
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    Like I said. It wasn't meant to be rude and my statement wasn't intended as fact. I am sorry if I made anyone think otherwise.
  • abbyolurin1
    abbyolurin1 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Excellent!
  • MstngSammy
    Options
    I am trying to remember where I read that though. The same as that person up there ^^^ about it being dangerous.

In the article it talks about American wheat products and how they actually add extra gluten to it resulting in more people becoming sensitive or intolerant and not knowing it.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I pretty much agree with the whole thing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,967 Member
    Options
    I am trying to remember where I read that though. The same as that person up there ^^^ about it being dangerous.

In the article it talks about American wheat products and how they actually add extra gluten to it resulting in more people becoming sensitive or intolerant and not knowing it.
    Probably on the internet.
  • DatMurse
    DatMurse Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Food for thought OP:
    Many of the people here think your basis for your information is complete crap