Posting your relationship on facebook

Options

Replies

• lazymochabear
    Options
    I'm in a distance relationship and my boyfriend said he doesn't want to change his relationship status on facebook after us meeting and being together for 2 weeks, saying that he's not very social and he doesn't want to explain to people about dating a foreign chick. He says he wants us to be in a relationship and he's taking it seriously, he doesn't want to cheat or anything, but it just seems to me like he's embarassed to tell people that we're together. How do you guys feel about changing your relationship status on facebook?

My bf and I have been in a relationship for over a year and it is not posted on fb. He left it as single for a few months into dating, but when I asked him to just remove it completely he obliged, so both of us just have nothing listed. Part of why he didn't want it posted was the blatant advertising and people pestering him (he was engaged before), but it honestly doesn't bother me. It's just a social media site, and no one is checking around for that anyway. If you like him enough to date him, like him enough to trust him...because if you don't, it won't last long =/
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    My husband would never claim me on Facebook so I divorced him....on Facebook.
  • GuybrushThreepw00d
    GuybrushThreepw00d Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    My husband would never claim me on Facebook so I divorced him....on Facebook.

then he uploaded everything to www.exgirlfriendpics.com :laugh:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I'm in a distance relationship and my boyfriend said he doesn't want to change his relationship status on facebook after us meeting and being together for 2 weeks, saying that he's not very social and he doesn't want to explain to people about dating a foreign chick. He says he wants us to be in a relationship and he's taking it seriously, he doesn't want to cheat or anything, but it just seems to me like he's embarassed to tell people that we're together. How do you guys feel about changing your relationship status on facebook?

We spend 2 weeks together, but we've been talking on skype for 8 months and we're both serious about it, like talking about me moving to his country and so on.

You can't make it Facebook Official if you don't live in the same country. The only exception is if you've spent 6 weeks together. Less than 6 weeks and it's against their TOS.
  • ren_ascent
    ren_ascent Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'm still single on FB but my girlfriend doesn't have a FB account so what she doesn't know won't hurt her, it's nice to have all those women still throw themselves at me and flirt with all of them!

Oh don't worry. I'm just going to save over your file on Zelda tonight

Ouch. That's . . . well that's just evil. Malicious and evil. I like you.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    2 weeks isn't really a 'relationship'. In two years when you guys are picking out wedding venues and he still doesn't want to post his relationship status THEN have a problem. You have a long way to go till you get to that point. Relax and enjoy your new relationship and stay off Facebook.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I never like posting my relationships on Facebook. I've never had a long distance one, but I still never appreciated the broadcasting of a relationship or a (potential) break up. Maybe he's the same way?

^THIS.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    How do you guys feel about changing your relationship status on facebook?

I feel very strongly about it - nothing is real until it's on Facebook. In fact, I never even considered myself to be a real person until I joined Facebook. Now I can finally feel like I exist!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    I think the people ridiculing her relationship and laughing at her concern are extremely out of line.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Facebook? That's still around?

We wish it was different than reality. I don't do Facebook and never will. Just too stupid for me.
  • MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Nothing is official, unless it's facebook official.

I know people who don't change their status to married for a few months, years even. I don't really consider them married until the status changes.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    it's something teenagers worry about.

I haven't been a teenager for a long time.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned. But if you are, maybe he would be willing to compromise and remove his relationship status altogether rather than it saying single?
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    He's definitely cheating on you, probably with someone else online.
  • punkyjones
    punkyjones Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't post my relationship status on facebook. Neither does my boyfriend. :-p
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    lol
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    its not legit unless its Facebook official!!!
  • jollyjoe321
    jollyjoe321 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I'd feel the same, no point pasting it all over a social networking site, they don't need to know, and it doesn't make a difference anyway!
  • KatrinaWilke
    KatrinaWilke Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Wow! There must be alot of OLD people on MFP. For me, if you are in a monogamous relationship and you are on FB, then both sides should automatically change their status to "in a relationship". It's not a big deal.....and it's not airing your personal life or whatever the haters are saying. If someone doesn't post that they are in a relationship, I would think something is up. Like they don't really like you as much as you think or they don't think you have a monagamous relationship or they are embarassed of you.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Facebook now defines relationships. Whether that was the intention of Mark Zuckerberg or not. IT makes or breaks families, marriages, and newly formed bonds like yours. That is why the legacy I plan to pass on to my kin is my new favorite saying, FB is the debil. :devil:

Good luck untangling that mess. He can do what he wants with it. It's HIS page, but it's YOUR feelings and so do what you want with "it". There are still some things over which you have absolute control. Use it.

In the future there will be no need for Bridezilla's or $10,000+ weddings or marriage certificates or anything else. We will all simply be able to put on our google glass eyewear and insta-know who's married and who's not and who just put themselves back on the market via facebook. We will be beamed up by scotty for a booty call and be in the midst of such before the other party even knows they are no longer in a relationship. Welcome to the new era, strengthen your heart and get to "poke" ing and "like" ing to your hearts content. "It's just the facebook, mom?"