I just don't care about the 'obesity epidemic'

Options
1171819202123»

Replies

• CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

Also from England - And my penny's worth.

I don't like it when the NHS provides treatment for alcoholism or smoking or drug abuse. I don't like it that the NHS provides treatment for preventable sports related injuries.

The cost of knee replacements, liver transplants, dialysis, rehab, drug subsititues, stop smoking schemes etc... far outweigh the costs of obesity treatment, bariatric equipment etc...

And considering all the above lifestyle choices are active choices, as in you have to physically start something to get them, rather than a passive choice to overeat (i'm sure there are very few people who overeat on purpose - not including those who don't know better) i'd much rather stop paying out on those before I stop paying out for obesity costs.

The only difference between obesity and the lifestyle choices above? Obesity is visible and therefore is easier to point the finger at.

Are you serious??? You want to punish people for doing the right thing an being active? :huh:

I have had sports injuries (in the UK) and believe me the waiting list for physio is so ridiculously long I ended up going private every time!!! And this is after years of paying into the system....
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    The cost of knee replacements, liver transplants, dialysis, rehab, drug subsititues, stop smoking schemes etc... far outweigh the costs of obesity treatment, bariatric equipment etc...

I work in public health. Your supporting evidence / statistics please.

This should be fun.....
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Off Topic:

Here in the US, almost everyone has a microwave oven. Most people under 30 were raised in households with 'em. Although I never thought about it before, I guess I assumed it was the same way in GB.

Is that an incorrect assumption?

None of my friends own a microwave, or was brought up with a microwave. I think generally most households own a microwave, whether they use it or not. I know they are popular in student halls and with the elderly infirm. Generally, I don't think UK people associate microwaves with healthy eating. The supermarkets do promote microwaveable readymade meals, but they can also be ovencooked, for the exception of McCainn fries and the hustler burger, which to most people taste bleh, I believe. And you can't cook a proper fish 'n chips in the microwave for instance :)
  • shapefitter
    Options
    If LA was the only place I'd ever been to in America I'd have a pretty bad impression of it too.

Never been and have no desire to ever go!

But I love New York, Boston, some of the more remote areas with beautiful open fields and country roads.

Nice to know, though, that our entire nation is judged by one experience in one city.

My best friend traveled around Europe for three weeks a couple years ago and she came back and told me how much she HATED the UK, that everyone was "so rude" there and she'd never go back. Apparently, that must be true since it was her experience.

No, your friend was right, Most of us are pretty rude. :laugh:

Londoners are the worst
    :-D
  • shapefitter
    Options
    If LA was the only place I'd ever been to in America I'd have a pretty bad impression of it too.

But I love New York, Boston, some of the more remote areas with beautiful open fields and country roads.

Nice to know, though, that our entire nation is judged by one experience in one city.

My best friend traveled around Europe for three weeks a couple years ago and she came back and told me how much she HATED the UK, that everyone was "so rude" there and she'd never go back. Apparently, that must be true since it was her experience.

lol

I have another friend who was there around the same time and she loved it. I just think my best friend doesn't get the British sense of humor. She's known me for 35 years and when I make silly sarcastic comments, she tells me I'm being bltchy. I've yet to meet a Brit I didn't like (at least in person -- there are a few on here who I could live without).

Yeah, the Brits humour can be very dry, I can understand why someone would think we are rude.

I had a couple of friends in college who'd come from America, and they once told me what they thought was odd about Brits is that two strangers could stand at a bus stop all day, and neither of them would say a word to each other. It's something I only noticed once she said it, we do tend to keep to ourselves. It took about a year for me to have a proper conversation with my neighbour!

I am of course completely generalising though!

It is being reserved not rude lol
  • carolina822
    carolina822 Posts: 155 Member
    Options

Also from England - And my penny's worth.

I don't like it when the NHS provides treatment for alcoholism or smoking or drug abuse. I don't like it that the NHS provides treatment for preventable sports related injuries.

And considering all the above lifestyle choices are active choices, as in you have to physically start something to get them, rather than a passive choice to overeat (i'm sure there are very few people who overeat on purpose - not including those who don't know better) i'd much rather stop paying out on those before I stop paying out for obesity costs.

The only difference between obesity and the lifestyle choices above? Obesity is visible and therefore is easier to point the finger at.

Are you serious??? You want to punish people for doing the right thing an being active? :huh:

I have had sports injuries (in the UK) and believe me the waiting list for physio is so ridiculously long I ended up going private every time!!! And this is after years of paying into the system....

If it's truly about the money, why does it it matter if its from doing the "right" or "wrong" thing?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

lol

I have another friend who was there around the same time and she loved it. I just think my best friend doesn't get the British sense of humor. She's known me for 35 years and when I make silly sarcastic comments, she tells me I'm being bltchy. I've yet to meet a Brit I didn't like (at least in person -- there are a few on here who I could live without).

Yeah, the Brits humour can be very dry, I can understand why someone would think we are rude.

I had a couple of friends in college who'd come from America, and they once told me what they thought was odd about Brits is that two strangers could stand at a bus stop all day, and neither of them would say a word to each other. It's something I only noticed once she said it, we do tend to keep to ourselves. It took about a year for me to have a proper conversation with my neighbour!

I am of course completely generalising though!
    Well, I have a dry, sarcastic sense of humor and am pretty introverted, so I'd probably fit right in.

I prefer your TV shows to ours every day of the week. I love everything British.
  • egrusy
    egrusy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    In to read later.... :drinker:
  • Mr_Excitement
    Mr_Excitement Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I'm still amazed that there is any obesity problem in the UK, considering the food there. lol

I loved the UK when I was there-- would happily move there in a second. But from what I saw, their approach to food can be summarized as, "how would you like your pizza boiled?".

Great beer, and the Indian food was great, of course, but... well... I started to understand why the British developed such an interest in long sea voyages. :tongue:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    important-announcement-2.jpg

WE NOW INTERRUPT THIS THREAD FOR AN IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT!

We are less than 50 posts in this thread from it rolling to a part 2...

...in which I will most certainly *not* post...

...which means this thread will cease to exist to me in less than 50 posts.

Please do your part to make this a reality.

Thank you.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled discussion.

(Perhaps one day MFP will have an option to "unfollow" a thread in which one has posted (and similarly, an option to "follow" a thread in which one has not posted). That day is not yet here, which leaves us with this workaround.)
  • losttogain
    losttogain Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    EXACTLY this. Having struggled with my weight my whole life because of habits I developed from my family, it breaks my heart to see obese little kids because I know what's coming for them and it's not going to be pretty. Sigh.
    I don't care about other peoples' diets either-- they're adults and it's their choice. The only time it does bother me is when I see obese children, who are pretty obviously being handed a set of unhealthy habits by their parents.
    This. I hate seeing chubby kids because I know it's not their fault necessarily. And they're going to have a tough time losing any weight when all they've known is how to be unhealthy.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I did visit L.A. in the 90's and was totally shocked and overwhelmed at the attitude regarding size. Super size this and the other. I spent an hour at the car rental plaze to try and explain I was not comfortable driving anything bigger than a small four door saloon car (UK size 1.6L). I had plans to do a lot of driving, which I enjoy, (when travelling to the balearic islands, main land Spain, Italy etc). Then I was harassed for the remaining holiday on all the highways for either keeping within the speed limit or for driving a small saloon. My holiday was spent mainly cooped up in Holiday Inn, Anaheim for two weeks and being brainwashed by American cable tv. Never again!

Someone doesn't seem to know how to travel.
    You had a car but were cooped up in a Holiday Inn? I don't get it.

I don't expect you to 'get it' from an American viewpoint.

I've lived in Europe for 25 years, I've also lived in the US for 15 so I can get it from whatever perspective you want. Hint - I'm not American. I still would not be cooped up in a hotel anywhere if I had transportation means.

ETA: In to help Jof and others kill this thread off.
  • markpmc
    markpmc Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Tax dollars. :grumble:

That's me right here. Being overweight tips the scales toward HBP and metabolic syndrome. Which in turn drives up my medical insurance premiums. It'll be worse under Obamacare. Do you think it was healthy peps trying to sign up for the last few weeks?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    (Perhaps one day MFP will have an option to "unfollow" a thread in which one has posted (and similarly, an option to "follow" a thread in which one has not posted). That day is not yet here, which leaves us with this workaround.)

I approve this message.
  • ekz13
    ekz13 Posts: 725 Member
    Options

I approve this message.

now if we can get the option to /unsee some of the threads here...:laugh:
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Die stupid thread. Die.