Effexor/Venlafaxine

Options

Replies

• arabianhorselover
    arabianhorselover Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    Effexor is one drug that should definitely not be stopped all at once.
  • Sihaya8
    Sihaya8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Do not take Venlafaxine Efexor. My advice comes purely from experience, and the opinion of both a psychiatrist and a chemist both adamant that this drug should NOT be given to anybody. It is a demon drug. I was on it for two years and it simply made me a zombie, and the side effects are numerous and common, and not worth the horrific numbness it gives you. It is one of the most awful drugs to come off, too. A simple google search will tell you how horrendous the discontinuation syndrome is. It took me over three months to finally be off it, and those three months were sheer hell. I have nothing but regret for the time I was on that drug, and would have come off sooner, had the withdrawal not been so completely crippling. If I could, I'd have it wiped off the face of the Earth. It's nasty and addictive.

I've had a lot of experience with psychiatric drugs, both anti-depressants prescribed for depression and anxiety, and anti-psychotic prescribed for BPD. The 'best' drug I was on was Quetiapine, one of the latter kinds, and that only because it didn't really do anything to me and there was no withdrawal.

I've recently come off another awful drug, Citalopram. Next I'm trying Mirtazepine, and I'm hoping that after 10 years of trying different medications, this one may just help.

It's funny how it affects people differently and while venlafaxine has been fab for my depression the doc said it maybe why I can't lose weight. I gained a stone straight away on quetiapine (or seroquel as I had it) and it made me feel awful. Mirtazapine turned me into a zombie and citalopram was the same. Weight gain and feeling almost drunk all the time.
    All the best for your new medication, everyone is different and hopefully this new one will be good for you :)
  • Sihaya8
    Sihaya8 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hey just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this drug...both good and bad.

Has anyone lost weight while on Effexor? I know ppl will say they've gained but frankly just wondering if anyone has seen it NOT affect their weightloss efforts.

Just started and I want some well-rounded reviews :)

Much thanks,
    Char

I have struggled to lose weight with it but it hasn't made me gain weight like some others. Those people who claim it doesn't affect weight haven't read the basic doctors handbook as it states it may 'cause changes in weight'. I know this as I asked them to look it up. Depression can make people comfort eat or it can change your appetite but antidepressants in general are prone to change weight.

When you say good / bad experiences I assume you mean with dieting? As far as dieting it hasn't helped me, but as far as depression it's really helped me and I wouldn't be without it :)
  • proudjmmom
    proudjmmom Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I took Effexor XR for 5 years. When I initially started the drug I gained 50 lbs in 3 months. I stabilized at that weight until I got pregnant with my daughter. No matter what I did, or how much I controlled my calories or exercised, I couldn't loose any of that weight. When I came off the drug 3 years ago, I almost instantly dropped 55 lbs. It did help my mood and done what it needed to do to help me get through my rough time, but I am very happy that I have successfully came off it, and I am now able to manage my depression on my own.
  • skinniland
    skinniland Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This drug is not an SSRI it is an SNRI. But yes, drugs in this class slow reuptake.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I was on both many years ago...there was no change in my weight at all...(but I was in my 20s and had a very high metabolism). I got back on extended release Effexor a few years ago (I'm 37 now) but it made me way too tired and with a young child, I could not take them anymore...

The Dr told me a side effect IS weight gain, but I've heard that that Wellbutrin may help with a bit of weight loss...But exercising is still the key to success...and it reduces depression as well. Good luck to you :)
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I was on Effexor several years ago, and it was awful. You really couldn't miss a dose without serious side effects hitting quite quickly. And as depressed as I was, I wasn't suffering from suicidal ideation until I was on it. In the end, I made the decision that my mental health was my own to control, and I had to get off the medication. I still have down days and a tendency towards depression, but I know the warning signs now and have hobbies and people that keep me uplifted.

I had no issues with my weight while I was on the medication, but as I was weening off (holy crap that was dreadful) my weight somehow ballooned up 30 pounds in about six weeks even though my stomach was so upset I could barely eat. I still have no idea how it was physically possible. And it's too long ago now to really analyze.
  • mapenguinkeeper
    Options
    when I first started taking it I was overwhelmingly fatigued as well. It's only occasionally these days and I've been taking it for about 5-6 years which is also the amount of time I've been packing on 35 extra lbs, but there were a lot of other stressors during this time frame that could also be a factor in this weight gain. AGREE that the withdrawal is awful and I find that I need to take mine around the same time every day or my anxiety creeps in. I've been on a high dose for a year now, but I'm in a better place and thus my provider is looking to decrease at my next visit.
  • CharisSunny
    CharisSunny Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I was on both many years ago...there was no change in my weight at all...(but I was in my 20s and had a very high metabolism). I got back on extended release Effexor a few years ago (I'm 37 now) but it made me way too tired and with a young child, I could not take them anymore...

The Dr told me a side effect IS weight gain, but I've heard that that Wellbutrin may help with a bit of weight loss...But exercising is still the key to success...and it reduces depression as well. Good luck to you :)

thank you!
    Tried Wellbutrin but had "brain zaps" and horrible flashbacks so it was discontinued...
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    This drug is not an SSRI it is an SNRI. But yes, drugs in this class slow reuptake.

Dont recall stating it was either...
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    I was on Effexor several years ago, and it was awful. You really couldn't miss a dose without serious side effects hitting quite quickly. And as depressed as I was, I wasn't suffering from suicidal ideation until I was on it. In the end, I made the decision that my mental health was my own to control, and I had to get off the medication. I still have down days and a tendency towards depression, but I know the warning signs now and have hobbies and people that keep me uplifted.

I had no issues with my weight while I was on the medication, but as I was weening off (holy crap that was dreadful) my weight somehow ballooned up 30 pounds in about six weeks even though my stomach was so upset I could barely eat. I still have no idea how it was physically possible. And it's too long ago now to really analyze.

Ive been attempting that route but I am afraid I need to be medicated. The ratio of good to bad days (Even hours) is off and I am overwhelmingly despondent--just dont know where to turn now with regard to medication.
  • CharisSunny
    Options
    Hey just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this drug...both good and bad.

Has anyone lost weight while on Effexor? I know ppl will say they've gained but frankly just wondering if anyone has seen it NOT affect their weightloss efforts.

Just started and I want some well-rounded reviews :)

Much thanks,
    Char

I have struggled to lose weight with it but it hasn't made me gain weight like some others. Those people who claim it doesn't affect weight haven't read the basic doctors handbook as it states it may 'cause changes in weight'. I know this as I asked them to look it up. Depression can make people comfort eat or it can change your appetite but antidepressants in general are prone to change weight.

When you say good / bad experiences I assume you mean with dieting? As far as dieting it hasn't helped me, but as far as depression it's really helped me and I wouldn't be without it :)

not re dieting just in general, but I couldnt handle it. It simply made me much too fatigued. But thank you!
  • fatcatp
    fatcatp Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have been on Effexor for the better part of 5 years. I am currently weaning myself off of it. I am going to see if I can handle my anxiety/panics attacks without it for awhile, hopefully forever. I gained a good 50 pounds on effexor. My doctor is fully aware that this is a side effect Some people (a small percentage) lose weight in the beginning due to nausea, but the majority of the people I know of personally that are on it gain weight. Wellbutrin apparently doesn't cause as much weight gain, but I couldn't take it, it made me feel like I was on speed.

I am taking good fish oil, and will be going on a natural serotonin supplement when I am completely weaned off. I do have a fair amount of experience if you want to ask me anything.

best of luck, Cathie
  • fatcatp
    Options
    I have been on Effexor for the better part of 5 years. I am currently weaning myself off of it. I am going to see if I can handle my anxiety/panics attacks without it for awhile, hopefully forever. I gained a good 50 pounds on effexor. My doctor is fully aware that this is a side effect Some people (a small percentage) lose weight in the beginning due to nausea, but the majority of the people I know of personally that are on it gain weight. Wellbutrin apparently doesn't cause as much weight gain, but I couldn't take it, it made me feel like I was on speed.

I am taking good fish oil, and will be going on a natural serotonin supplement when I am completely weaned off. I do have a fair amount of experience if you want to ask me anything.

best of luck, Cathie
  • fatcatp
    Options
    sorry,typed by accident and i cant delete it
  • fatcatp
    Options
    I gained 40 plus pounds on Effexor. I personally know two other women with same result. You have to listen to people who have actually been ON it, as health professionals only have a limited knowledge of each drug and not practical experience. I am a healthy eater, and not a carb junky. I struggle to lose a single pound while following the exact same weight watchers diet as my gf who is not on effexor, and she self admittedly cheated on her diet a lot and didnt excersize like I did. It is very hard to lose weight while on this drug, but you have to weigh the benefits of your mental health, and make your own personal decision. Sometimes it is best to treat your anxiety/depression first and deal with the weight issue down the road as long as your health is not in serious risk.

If you look on effexor blogs where others have personal experience with the drug, you will find most people end up gaining weight and struggle beyond normal to lose it. A very select few lose weight due to the initial nausea.
  • Julesdublin
    Julesdublin Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I was on Effexor for 1 year – The last 6 months trying to wean myself off it.
    I’ve gained around 2 stones in weight. It made me sleep a lot and crave carbs constantly. I’ve never had such an abrupt weight gain.
    I stopped 2 months ago and I already lost a couple of pounds. As I can’t stand the sight of me this big – none of my clothes fit me and I can’t afford new ones – I decided to diet and begin to work out again. While on Effexor I was feeling far too sluggish to do anything but eat and sleep.
    The withdrawals symptoms were absolutely awful. On my case I regret taking it. I was depressed at the time but I think I would have been able to get better without meds.
  • zackmh123
    Options
    I have been on effexor for 10 months now. I can say it has worked great mentally thats for sure. But as far as weight gain.................For me it completely make my ability to feel full non existent. I feel like I am never full and its so bad. When I first started taking this I was very sick, I was only 165lbs because I made some mistakes from drug use and was just in a bad state so I think anyone coming off drugs is going to have anxiety and mood swings and weight issues. Since I started taking the effexor and have remained drug free and alcohol free for 10 months now, I have put on tremendous amounts of weight. I gained 90lbs! thats like a whole extra person. I know my body is gonna be going through changes after staying clean and sober but the weight is just absurd. Now I have gone to the doctor and explained this all to him. He kept telling me ....Eat better and less and work out. ok, So I really put a lot of effort into this. I was going to the gym almost daily, I was burning 400 calories a day on the elliptical and then a good workout with weights/machines and maybe a month went by I weighed myself again and I gained 12lbs hahahha. This medicine for me is such a struggle because it honestly works so well for me mentally, but the effects of weight and eating had just gotten out of control. I have talked to the doctor about getting off it and have cut back because its been awhile and thank god for aa cause it shows me how to handle situations like this like an adult. instead of just stopping it on my own. But I think I want to give myself a shot coming completely off this. Since I have almost completely stopped this medication I have continued working out like I was, drinking 3 or four of those big poland springs water jugs a day, My appetite feels normal again and I dont feel disgusted with myself after binge eating because it just doesnt happen anymore. I recently weighed myself and literally in 2 weeks no lie, I lost 13lbs. So for me, and thats really all I can comment on besides reading other posts about this, effexor was great for my mind but horrible for my body. If someone tells you to not take a medication, esp on the internet. STAY AWAY FROM THEM!!!! only your doctor can tell you this, not an online doctor. only you know what you need. But from my experience and from what I have read, theres no question this medication has caused many people SERIOUS SERIOUS unwanted weight gain.
  • nohaynicknamesdisponibles
    Options
    Nothing else to say than this is a antidepressant of the SNRI class and as for all of them, by taking these you will develop a nice dependency with strong withdrawal symptoms. For men additionally: reverse ejaculation - very cool...you save money for condoms.
  • zackmh123
    Options
    Lmao, true. very true