I've NEVER seen Snow! Where should I vacation?

Options

Replies

• LaserOctopus
    LaserOctopus Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    What, never?! May I suggest suggest one of the thousands of resort (and resort-like) areas in Colorado? The Rocky Mountains are snowy and beautiful, but also dry with a high elevation, so the cold is (usually) much less cold than the same temperatures at lower elevations. I might be biased, though, since I'm from Denver.

Or Lake Tahoe? It's quite beautiful in the snow, and you have the option of two states: California or Nevada. Also a lower elevation (only six thousand and change) than most of the Rockies, some people are sensitive to high altitudes.
  • KimJohnsonsmile
    KimJohnsonsmile Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I live in central Maine. Can I come stay at your house and you come stay at mine... let's plan for a week in mid-January. :-)
    Try this: http://www.mooseheadcabins.com/maine_winter_vacation.html. Or, Google cabin rentals in Greenville, Maine and plan to come up here in mid to late January. You'll see some good snow and Greenville sits right on Moosehead Lake, which is beautiful.
  • determined_erin
    determined_erin Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Pennsylvania, New York, etc
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I don't recommend snow. OVERRATED.

But yeah, MI.
  • ChristineLavi
    ChristineLavi Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Canada - BC (west) if you like to ski. Or out East Newfoundland LOTS of snow.
    US Adirondacks in NY
  • jayaprathappsg
    jayaprathappsg Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Pocono mountains are great and you can find value for money too. There are plenty of ski resorts...
    Other than than Vermont has a few nice ski resorts
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Just avoid it. It's cold and sloppy and crappy. You have to bundle up and wear lots of clothes and gloves and hats, it sticks to your pants and makes them cold and wet. Stay where it's warm and sunny and grass is green and leaves on the trees.

I'm just trying to be funny. I live in Nebraska and we get plenty of snow and I hate it. I would love to move south somewhere where I never, ever have to see it again.

I would suggest Colorado for your vacation. Beautiful mountains and ski resorts there and then you can go home to sunny, warm Florida when you have had enough and thaw out. :laugh:
  • softwind
    softwind Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Vermont. (I'm a little biased). Stowe has some great places
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I'm from Minnesota and so far no snow but we should get some soon. There are resorts up in the northern part of the state, like Brainerd, they have beautiful cabins, not sure on the skiing part but have lots of other things you can do, like snow mobile trails, snowshoeing, and ice fishing.

But I've heard place in Colorado are just gorgeous to ski,
  • ractrev
    ractrev Posts: 426
    Options
    I am from Minnesota. It is overrated! Trust me on this!!!!! It sounds romantic, but it is a giant pain in the *kitten*. But if you really want to see it - lets switch places for the winter. ;)
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    What, never?! May I suggest suggest one of the thousands of resort (and resort-like) areas in Colorado? The Rocky Mountains are snowy and beautiful, but also dry with a high elevation, so the cold is (usually) much less cold than the same temperatures at lower elevations. I might be biased, though, since I'm from Denver.

Or Lake Tahoe? It's quite beautiful in the snow, and you have the option of two states: California or Nevada. Also a lower elevation (only six thousand and change) than most of the Rockies, some people are sensitive to high altitudes.

Yes NEVER! No one in my family has, so it will really be an experience of a lifetime. Thanks for the suggestions. Too many option in Colorado so I'm attempting to narrow it down.
  • horsepal
    horsepal Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest Bend Oregon, Skiing, snow shoe, cozy cabins, trees, lakes and lots of Beer!
  • nancymmorris
    Options
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    The skiers are already skiing in Colorado. So come visit us!:bigsmile:
  • Mborroto25
    Mborroto25 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am from Minnesota. It is overrated! Trust me on this!!!!! It sounds romantic, but it is a giant pain in the *kitten*. But if you really want to see it - lets switch places for the winter. ;)
    lol I'm happy on days I get to wear long sleeves! We don't really experience Fall or Winter here. Its like hot and then hotter..
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    If you're going skiing, Ogden, Utah. Beautiful mountains and great snow.
    It's less crowded than the ski resorts in Colorado.
  • numejak
    numejak Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Porcupine Mountains in Michigan!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    NOT Illinois. Some years we barely get any snow, some years we get tons, and it always turns to gray slush on the second day. Just putting that out there in case anyone actually recommends it for snow.
  • new2canada
    new2canada Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Jasper, Canada...it's the most amazing place in the world imo.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Colorado Rocky Mts....