WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Susan: You are a wonderful angel in your dad’s life. Don’t forget to take care of yourself, too. :flowerforyou: The schnecken sounds wonderful but butter is out of my life forever. I bet I could substitute margarine…:devil:

Grandmallie: Enjoy your time at the gym. Congratulations on all your hard work and the blessing of good health. If you slept 10 hours, you probably needed it. I’ve had my flu shot for the year and had the shingles shot two years ago. Having both at once is a bold move. I hope your arms aren’t sore from it.:flowerforyou:

Heather: Your DGS is a cutie. What a grand picture. You are lucky to be satisfied with a bite here and there of the goodies you make. You have that ability in common with Michele. I don’t know whether I could do it. Last year I could withstand the temptation of Halloween candy at home, but this year I had a package of Reece’s Pieces. I am NOT able to resist peanut butter and chocolate.:noway: Luckily it was a very small package. I’m glad Oprah was able to help you see your childhood in a different and more victorious light. :heart: :flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I’m a Christmas nut and have kept a lot of old treasures that we put up year after year. Even so, it is always fun to hunt for new treasures. This year DH and I will make a Christmas Stocking for our new DIL. I’m looking forward to it. It looks like a Christmas shop will be opening in a vacant storefront in Old Town this year. I can hardly wait to go in.:love:

bjmc: You’re getting your professorial balance very well. Good for you! I love the connection you have made between clean food and clean thinking.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: Congratulations on getting such a generous food donation from a restaurant. Ten meal vouchers is wonderful.:flowerforyou:

We have a gray morning so far, and DH snapped at me for listening to a video clip without the headphones on. He’d been up since about 3 am and he is now sleeping. I hope he wakes up feeling better. We have a homeowners meeting later today and I need to put together some comments on the landscaping shortfalls of our current situation. The Association President wanted us to write a request for services that he could put out for bid. I’m not sure I have the expertise to do that.

Good wishes to anyone I missed. Have a great day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    O happy Friday! :happy:

It's a cloudy, damp morning, I hear a storm's blowing in. I'd better go around and close all of the storm windows, been holding off as long as possible. So long fresh air, see ya next spring. :ohwell: While I'm at it I suppose I could clean the windowsills. :tongue:

I miss my garden something fierce :sad: I do need to get over there and harvest the rest of the carrots. There's chard and cabbage and Brussels sprouts there yet, beets and spinach, too.

Well I see some new faces around here, how fun. Welcome to all! Josie, Alicia, Anamika, Tazgirl, Marsha, harleylady, vampirequeen, Melody, nice to meet you! Maybe some of you have been here for awhile but I've missed so much over the last several months. :blushing:

We sure have a mission, don't we. Learning to be better and live better and learn how to eat properly! :bigsmile: It's a work of art. Eventually it becomes an easier picture to paint. :wink:

Alicia, that's great you were under calorie goal yesterday! Keep it up girl! And ohhh the water...you have a good plan to start with 8oz and work your way up. When I started here I kept a 24oz water bottle next to me while I worked on the computer, it makes it easy to sip sip sip more often. And I put a 16oz glass by the kitchen sink so I'd see it every time I was in there; eventually I learned to fill it and drink it instead of just looking at it sitting there empty :laugh: Before long I was up to 64oz daily, and now it's just second nature. Take the plunge, your body will thank you. :flowerforyou:

Florawanda, fancy meeting you here! :bigsmile: You're amazing doing that 10 mile deal, whoa nelly! Yay for you! :drinker:

Heather I'm down on bended knee begging for some of those fennel and garlic sausages! :love:

Barbie, oh yes, patience patience. I'm going through a similar thing getting over this illness. I want to do to much. :ohwell: We'll get there eventually, turtle pace, though. At least we're up off the couch and moving a little. :bigsmile:

DeeDee, I was looking at Christmas decorations the other day....every year I think I'll get into decorating but it just never happens until the week before! :laugh:

Meg, hope you enjoyed your day yesterday! :bigsmile: Mani-pedi, I've never had either! I use hoof nippers to do my toenails :laugh:

Ok dears, I must be going. I'm planning to teach today from 1:00-5:00, hope I do ok for that many hours. I'm still a wee bit woozy in the head but still not sneezy or coughing, yay! I'd better not do too much this morning, but I sure do need to clean this house! :grumble:

:smile: jb (Joanie) in Portland, OR
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Alicia7519 – Congratulations with staying under your calorie goal. :smile:

Sylvia - Praying for you today as you go through your procedure. :heart:

JB – Love the poem. My DH and I enjoy watching the old Gunsmoke reruns each evening and I grew up watching the Cartwrights. Glad you’re feeling better. :smile:

Kathy – That was so thoughtful for you to buy the gloves. Congratulations on the new swimsuit and what a great score on your Algebra class! :smile:

Grandmalle – my DH got both the flu and shingles shots this year. He didn’t have a reaction to either so hopefully you will not.

NC ladies – My paster is from Hickory, NC and my favorite Aunt/Uncle lived in Brevard. We would visit yearly and always loved NC and vacation there often. Spent time seeing Ashville, Maggie Valley and Grandfather Mountain.

Jill – congratulations on the seat belt on the plane. It’s always fun to notice changes. Sometimes we don’t see them because we see ourselves every day and it takes something like this or a comment from someone who hasn’t seen us in awhile to help us to realize it is working! Keep doing what you’re doing.

Florawanda – Congratulations on the race. Isn’t it great to see the progress you’ve made? Something to hang onto when those plateaus rear their ugly heads.

Sue in SD – Will keep you in prayer concerning your liver tests. Congratulations on retiring in March.

Barbie – Hope each day brings you closer to less pain.

AnneCarolOne – Continued healing for you. Each step is a step closer.

Had a great NSV the other night. I play Bunco with ladies from church monthly and I missed the one in October. Many of them commented on my weight loss throughout the evening and asked what I was doing. Some were saddened to hear it wasn’t from a new miracle diet or pill, just eating less, logging my food and moving more. I told them about this site and the wonderful encouragement and support that can be found here and all for free!! I have a couple of friends that pay about $50 a month for Weight Watchers and they say it is mainly for the support they get in the meetings. :heart:

Just started getting some things for my DH for Christmas. I do most of my shopping online and have them sent to a friend’s house so he doesn’t see it come in. He is home during the day so there is no way to keep him from seeing the boxes. I volunteer with a rescue group and am able to help my group when I shop online with Amazon or many other stores. Basically, just have to go to a site and select my group and it takes you to Amazon. The group receives a portion of the amount spent from Amazon or other stores. I like this as I can help the rescue group with purchases I would be making anyway at no extra cost to me. It helps especially this time of year as many do their shopping online.

Work has been busy as more people are starting to take their end of year leave. I have 57 hours to use or lose so just need to decide when to take it. As we’re not planning on traveling for the holidays I’ll probably just take a day or two each week and make long weekends.

Welcome to the new ladies and hope everyone has a wonderful Friday. :drinker:

Tina from Maryland
  • phoo513
    phoo513 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday, Ladies- I am still lurking around the site and living through your magnificent accomplishments. I am still trying to figure out how I got so far off track, but I am still trying. The scale is going the wrong way, and I am not doing well dealing with that.

I am sitting in my craft room making Christmas cards w/ gift card enclosures to sell at the craft fair tomorrow. I am also watching the nasty, windy weather. It is certainly a winter storm, just no rain or snow, just wind! They have been warning people to be very careful when out driving up to the northwest of Tucson. This is the perfect weather for a bad dust storm up there. Be safe, please.

Sandy- You are such a Sweetie! You get another gold star! I am willing to bet that DD is getting better about going out, growing in her self-confidence because she is watching you make such incredible growth and steps towards taking care of yourself, getting out of your own old patterns, and becoming such an awesome woman! Gold Star for you, girlfriend!

Meg- I miss you, too. I promise I will get my poop in a group again soon, and then I will be back. I promise. In the meantime, know that I do still think about all of you when I am feeling down.

Kathyszoo- Congratulations on your test score! The only way I could score 98% on an algebra test is to hire someone to take the test for me!

Ok- Time to get back to work. Now I get to make envelopes! (It is fun, I'm just being a snot!)

Blessed Friday!

Pat
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF~~a cloudy cold day,suppose to get up to 50.
    Hip hasn`t been too painful,see the dr next sat.
    NSV-made hubby chocolate cookies and didn`t eat a 1 of them.:drinker:
    Enjoy your day.
    HUGS
    jane
    I am thankful for this group.U r an amazing bunch and I love u all.:heart:
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Hello to everyone.I do read the posts,but seems I seldom have much to say.

Maybe it's just because there's not much of interest going on here?

Weight seems to be stuck no loss,no gain for at least 4-5 wks. Last time ,it lasted 6 wks.
    Oh,well..it is what it is. I count calories,measure portions & float from drinking an average of
    8-10 glasses of water.

Did have a good thing happen this morn.Went shopping for sweat pants to wear to/from the gym.
    tried on size Lg/E Lg & they fit perfectly.The surprise was not just the size,but they do NOT
    have an elastic waist!

Been many a yr since I have worn pants without the elastic waist.When I started MFP,wore a tight
    22,now an 18.Some of those are a bit loose.Even tho wt is sticking,the Interval aerobic
    Classes plus my own extra 1/2 hr in the pool is working.Usually spend 1 1/2 hrs,4 times a wk in
    The pool.Trying to add squats,but think I bend over too far..... something to work on.

DH is wanting a pumpkin pie.Will make that in the morn.I will enjoy one good size slice,then leave the rest to him
    & his buddies when they have coffee.

Sorry I can't post to each of you. One of these days,I will learn how to do that.

Do remember Sylvia is having surgery today &prayers that all goes well.

Have a great wk end.Keep on keeping on.Pat C in Ohio
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Heart cath done. 98% blockage. In recovery and doing great. More later.

Sylvia
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,894 Member
    Options
    Wow Sylvia! Good thing you had the cath done now! My friend had a cath then had to have a quad-bypass. She was lucky we got her to the hospital fast enough when she had the heart attack! Take care of your self!

I had the closing last night and DH and I celebrated. At too many sweets and had a 3/4 off a turkey club sandwich (with about 1/2 the fries) then found a place called "The Cannoli King". Stopped and bought almost $30 of Italian 'fat' food! Went home, had 2 beers and a shot of Disarono with a cannoli and a couple of fork fulls of the other sweets. REALLY BAD GIRL last night! :sad: But enjoyed the celebration none the less.

Now to focus on emptying the rest of the boxes tomorrow and Sunday going to Rhode Island to visit my DS and 2 DGS! I've been off track long enough. I just can't seem to get back on track yet with all the changes and stress of the move, new job, and now back to school. Oh, well, slow and steady wins the race.

TGIF everyone!

Rita from CT
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,070 Member
    Options
    To all struggling with health issues please take care.:flowerforyou:

TGIF. Time for a nice cup of tea.:drinker:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,746 Member
    Options
    well here I am, with a dog on my lap and trying to type.
    went to Dr's this am,spoke with her and put a call into my kidney dr, im going to try and get off the 2 scripts im on, so I wont be on any drugs, just natural stuff, we shall see what she says.. they did find an irregular heartbeat so they did an EKG-
    I have something called ventricular bigeminy~ not anything to really worry about, so I wont.. they were very please at the weight loss,and told me to keep it up...
    have the weekend off from payed work but im sure the DH will put me to work doing something...
    got both shots, the flue shot arm is sore, the shingles arm not so much ,but took some tylenol anyway so it wont be to horrible in the morning...
    Sylvia- glad you got there when you did.,, wishing you a speedy recovery...
    Phoo- Pat sounds wonderful your cards, you should post a picture....
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Sylvia-glad you got that done.
    hugs
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: I am so happy you're doing well and caught things before they led to a heart attack. The phrase, "in the nick of time," seems to apply to you. Thank the Lord you are okay. I hope your recovery goes well.:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Nov 15th. Today I am thankful for all my electronic toys. Sometimes I think I am a panty waste that I need them n order to lose weight, but I'll take what I can. Between my FitBit and MFP it has allowed me to stick to my diet and lose weight and have healthy labs work. It makes me accountable, gives me encouragement and gives me goals. My other toys are important also. my Nook gives me dozens of books in my purse I can choose from. It gives me fun apps to give me entertainment and makes me a cool Grandma. My Ipad lets me have face time with my daughter and I can see my kids rooms, meet their friends, talk to them, see their costumes, or just talk. My PC and laptop just helps me keep in touch with the world around me. I meet people from all over the world, get info just by going to the wonderful thing called Google, gives me directions, my daughter and I through Google earth went shopping for apartments together. Then we used another place that let us tour apartments together, all while I am talking on my smart phone. What did our Great Grandmas do without all this stuff. I know mine on my Moms side used a conch shell they would blow in is they needed help real quick.

I know it wasn't the most nutritous meal tonight but I have been wanting Ci Cis pizza, just for the brownies. I get 3 peices of pizza, a cheese, spinach and ham with pineapple and I start out with a nice garden salad with a lot of veggies in it. I won't go there for another couple of months but after depriving my stomach this past week I wanted that tiny brownie!!!

I got my box from Collections Etc today with a bunch of stuff I had ordered on line for Christmas. It was like opening a present for me when it came. I don't know if all their sweatshirts run big or not but I ordered an 1X sweatshirt for me and it's to big. Now my other 1X sweatshirts that I have had just sitting in the closet are just now fitting me. So I will either send it back or give it to my sister. One good thing yesterday with my procedure was that I didn't need to ask for a big girl hospital gown!!!! I weigh everyday and I was surprised that yesterdays weight was the same as the day before. All that colon prep and weight the same. So today I had gone from 187.4 to 185.2. Now I know tomorrow it may go backt o where it was but at least it is an incentive for me to see it again, for real

Joyce, Indiana
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Sylvia, we're waiting to see how things are going with you. Hugs to you.

Joyce
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, for your encouragement. I am SO glad I came to the big hospital instead of the one at home. I really liked the doctor, who spent a lot of time with hubby and me, before and after, explaining things and drawing pictures for us. I asked about doing it through the arm, and he said he would try, but it turned out it didn't work because my arteries were doing spasms or something, so he had to use the groin after all. So now I have incisions in both places. I told him I was afraid because last time I had so much trouble when they pulled the sheath out after 6 hours (I passed out and got sick), so he used a special sleeve that allowed him to pull the sheath out immediately and I never even knew he did it! The sleeve is made to dissolve on its own. It was wonderful. So, instead of having to lie flat on my back for 6 hours I got to lie propped up for 2 hours and then I could get our of bed and walk. I've been walking the halls like a maniac. They gave me only enough joy juice to mellow me out, not knock me out like last time, so I was able to listen to what was going on and even ask questions. And they let me keep my glasses, so I could watch the big monitors. The operating room was an engineering marvel, with fancy equipment hanging from every conceivable place. The OR at our little hospital was like a modified mop closet. And there must have been 25 people here working as a team, instead of the 4 at our hospital. The blockage itself actually grew off the original stent where it intersected with another artery. So, I'm a pretty happy camper.

I go home in the morning. He said I can't work out or swim for another week, but then I can go back to cardiac rehab. That will be good.

I hope everybody has a wonderful weekend.

Sylvia
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Sylvia, so glad you are okay prayers for a speedy recovery, take special care

Thoughts and prayers for all who are struggling at this time, hang in there Poo I know how you feel I have been off track more than on lately:grumble:

Have a great weekend juanita in sudbury
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    Sylvia – I am glad that things went well with your procedure.:flowerforyou:

Katia - Yes, I teach at Boise State University in the World Languages department.:smile::happy:

DeeDee – Thank you for your support. I appreciate your comments. You are awesome!:flowerforyou:

jb_2011 – Thank you for the advice on the water!:flowerforyou:

Kayak_Kutie – Thank you so much!!!:flowerforyou:

Have a great Friday evening, everyone!:happy:

Alicia in Boise, ID
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,956 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I guess sleep must be the magic ingredient in recovery. I went to bed early last night and slept later than I expected and Jake and I really had to hustle to get to the meeting we go to at 6:30 (that’s when we leave the house, the meeting starts at 7:00). One of the things I gave Jake for his birthday was a promise to take him to eat at our favorite Chinese restaurant. They had been kicked out of their last location by a landlord who wanted to open his own restaurant and had been looking for a new location for over a year. They found a new location and opened on Wednesday. So today Jake drove me to dance and picked me up so we could go out to eat. The food was just as good as always and we were so glad to see the owners and workers. The place was packed. Line dance went well and I was very disciplined and sat down a lot between dances so I’d be at my best for the parts I taught. When I got home I grabbed the ice pack and went right to bed because a friend was scheduled to come over later. Fortunately, she called at 2:00 and said she wasn’t feeling well and wouldn’t be coming over, so I stayed in bed until after four, fed and walked the dogs, and have been relaxing since. We’ll head for bed before 8:00. We have to get up early tomorrow so Jake can go out of town for the day. I’ll be in charge of dog walking, so I’ll have to be extra careful not to overdo early in the day.

:bigsmile: jb, I love your poem

:bigsmile: Heather, cute photo

:bigsmile: Jane, congrats on not eating any cookies.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :heart: :bigsmile: Sylvia, you are so thoughtful to check in with us……I know that I’m not the only one who was thinking about you all day and hoping for the best…..it sounds like you received awesome and thoughtful care.

:bigsmile: Joyce, congrats on the smaller sweatshirt and the smaller hospital gown….that shouts out louder than any numbers on the scale.

:heart: Barbie from chilly NW Washington

2506167m2q75z4kbu.gif

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Sylvia, that sounds like the kind of place I would want to go to if I were going to have any cardiac procedure. This cardiac nurse would probably drive them so crazy with questions that they would secretly give me some more joy juice and knock me out. I am SO glad everything went well and you are now on your way to recovery. It just makes my heart feel so good that there are still cardiologists out there that know how to treat a patient like a person and not a number. Sleep well my friend

Joyce, Indiana
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,366 Member
    Options
    Took my aluminum to the Humane Society today, then gave them coupons, then took the deep water class. Afterwards, went and played mahjongg (Vince said that he didn't need me to help with the Christmas decorations just yet). Afterwards, stopped at Lowes Foods to exchange some muffin cups and picked up a few other things, then to Dunkin Donuts to get Vince his donuts. Then stopped at the Salvation Army to see if they had any inflatable Christmas decorations (they didn't), then home to make brownies for me to take to Jessica's for Thanksgiving (I'll freeze them). Then we went to Lowe's Hardware, Vince needed more PVC pipe for the Christmas decorations and some couplers along with metal stakes. Then went to WalMart so I can get a few things. Right now I have a turkey breast in the oven for Vince to have (i'll cut it up and he can have that for dinner some nights rather than me buying a frozen dinner.).

Tomorrow I'll go to yoga then probably stop at Aldi's.

Oh, I had heard so much about this one lady at the Y's apple pie. In talking to her she doesn't use any lard or Crisco in her dough so I thought I'd give it a try. Well....I was expecting this apple pie, the kind you get in the food store, a full sized one. What it is is a deep fried apple pie. If I'd known that it was a deep fried one, I would never have gotten it. Oh well....live and learn. Looks like I'll need to make an apple pie for Thanksgiving. Well, I have a recipe for a pie crust that doesn't have any lard or Crisco in it, jso I'll give that a try. Why apple? Because that's the only kind that Vince will eat. Me? I like just about any fruit pie. But there's just so much that I can eat. I'll try a little bit just to taste her dough, but Vince can have the rest. I do have to say that it smelled good, at least the apples and spices are probably OK

sandy - congrats to your son! What a compliment! I'm sure that made you feel so very good

Joyce - yea, you don't need anyother colonoscopy for 10 years!

Joanie - thanks for sharing your wonderful writing! I so enjoy it. Stay safe

katla - good thoughts for your friend at yoga

Heather - I'm like you, a tast of something is enough to satisfy me. We are lucky, aren't we??? Oh, how I love the shirataki noodles! 3 minute plank -- WOW

DeeDee - I just looked at Salem Creeks' homepage online, do they sell any outdoor decorations? I couldn't find anything, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

bjmcq - I always hated the fact that the high schools basically coddled the students and they were so unprepared for college. That is, unless they were self-motivated. Now Denise isn't, to me, they just pushed her thru high school. She shouldn't have been allowed to graduate when she did, but those teachers saw to it that she did graduate. Here were are, ten years later, and she STILL doesn't have even an Associate's degree. I guess there are enough parents who get upset when their child fails. Not me. To me, a student should get what they deserve.

Tina - what a wonderful NSV. Hopefully, some of those ladies will come here.

jane - how did you not eat one of those cookies? I usually will have at least one to taste. Kudos to you

Pat - do you have someone at your gym who can watch you doing your squat and tell you if you are or aren't doing it correctly? I remember that I always thought I was doing it right and it wasn't until I got a personal trainer that I found out that all along I'd been doing it incorrectly. Congrats on the elasticless-waist pants

Sylvia - been thinking of you. Thanks for posting. Glad you're doing better, but 98% blocked??? Yikes! I'm so glad you went to the larger hospital

Rita - you had every reason to celebrate. Doesn't it feel so good when the closing is done and over with and that's one less thing you have to worry about? You didn't have to go back to TN for it, did you?

grandmalle - I remember when I got the flu shot my arm was sore. I got it on a Friday and went to yoga the next day. Fortunately, that day we weren't doing any side planks, because there is no way I could have done it. But the soreness went away in a few days.

Michele in NC