WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2013

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi gals! I’m checking in early today since it will be busy. I actually got up at 6:30 and went to deep water aerobics. I tried very hard to talk myself into staying in bed, but got up anyway. I’m glad I did. You know I always feel like not much is going on in those classes but then I get out and my legs are concrete.

It is a beautiful fall day here. I’ll be working on the book for a while then watching the football game. Then our friends want us to go out for dinner. We are going for pizza, but I found a place that serves a good thin crust pizza, so that will help on the carbs.

Today I am grateful for the beautiful weather and for the guy who is here replacing the carpet in DD#1’s old room! Thank goodness we have lots left over from all our floods. This is an exact dye lot match so it should look good.

Barbie: you take care of that back. Sounds like you have a good attitude

Renny: good job on all that exercise. Congrats on upcoming DGchild #7!

AnnCarol: so sorry to hear of your recent health problems!

Tazgirl: I bet you are a proud mama!

Katla: oh your poor puppy! I hope he is better by now!

Sylvia: sending prayers and healing thoughts your way

Terel: nice quotation!

Joyce: sending good thoughts for your SIL’s son

Yanniejannie: it is so frustrating watching your child struggle, isn’t it?

Donna: welcome!

Drkatiebug: yay for all that cleaning!

Michele: you are always so busy!

DeeDee: always so nice to see you here! Hope you are all better now!

Yikes…need to run. The cats have all gotten loose from the room they were confined in (How did THAT happen) and I need to round them up again…never an easy task. Take care all! Meg from Omaha
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Happy November to all,

We had our Thanksgiving in October, and I am thankful for the safe delivery of my last grandchild two weeks ago, born breech, but safe. That makes four grandchildren from the dear (step) daughters. I am grateful for the improved health of my husband's first wife, she is a dear, and her heart problems have been very difficult for all of us. And I am grateful for MFP and all the people here who help each other. I am always inspired by those who are unimaginably busy, but always make time for supportive interaction here every day!

It has finally turned cold here, the leaves turned late, and they are still falling. It is like having an extended fall colour time, which is so lovely, since it doe not have the bare, tree trunk greyness I associate with November. By mid-November I am usually hoping for snow to cover the grey, but not this year. Also I like to walk in the colder weather, I do not feel so overheated. Yes Virginia, we are suffering from global warming! But it has a few upsides!

I have been very spotty on my participation with MFP for the last few months. Life sometimes takes over, or so we let ourselves believe....sheesh, that is just so wrong. My concept of time was that I needed everything to give to finishing my grad degree; I had one week between completion and starting what is the equivalent of a full time university teaching load. I have to say, the workload for these particular courses is gruelling. I am facing another 10 hours of marking today ( like yesterday). If I am lucky, I will get the next two weekends off, and I can do some social fun stuff. I really will have to rethink this (accidental) career path,it is just as much work -- for a fraction of the pay-- than if I went back to my other career......but I like the work better! This really takes a toll on my bad back, but it is good for my bad knees! Ha! It is nice to have a paycheck, but I don't have much social time when all our social groups are (older than me) retired. I have lots of rethinking to do! Next May, DH is on sabbatical...that may help us sort through our priorities. DH is due to retire a year after that. Perhaps I am scared of true retirement ( I went back to uni and did two more degrees last time, and I had two to start with).

Having said all that, here are my November goals:

1) plan and log food every day on MFP
    2) plan and execute a personal to do list
    3) gradually get back into a walking plan
    4) wear my Fitbit every day

Thanks for everything in the past, and for everything to come! May you all find something special to bring joy into your life today!

BJ, SWOnt.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I hope everybody is doing well today.

I forgot to log in yesterday! Oh no! I logged my yesterday food this morning, but I don't know if it gives me credit or not. I may have broken my streak. I felt lousy yesterday and didn't think about it.

This morning I went to watch my granddaughter play basketball. It's so funny to watch all those tiny girls trying to play. The referee is a great big tall guy who is so sweet to the girls, helping them and reminding them which basket to go toward. They get confused sometimes.

Today we are going out to the lake, so it should be nice there. We are having really nice weather, which won't be true next week, so we should take advantage of it while we can. We're supposed to get a little snow on Thursday.

Have a great weekend!

Sylvia
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    It is a glorious day. I am thankful for the beautiful weather and the opportunity to spend the entire afternoon with my delightful grandchildren. I went for a six mile walk this morning and am now relaxing on the sofa, watching football and my grandchildren.

Have a good weekend, my friends.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: It is a gorgeous day here today, cool but sunny. DH and I are taking my best friend who is moving to Colorado out for dinner and to the symphony. We are going to a really nice restaurant where I can make good choices if I will. Then we are going to a pops concert with the SD Symphony and Cirque de la Symphonie. Should be lots of fun and a good farewell for my friend. She is working so hard to get everything organized for moving that she needs this break.

Has anyone read A Course on Weightloss by Marianne Williamson? I found a slip of paper with the title and author on it in my purse. It is my handwriting but I do not remember where I saw this or when I copied it down. It is subtitled 21 Spiritual Lessons. I got a copy from the library and have read a little of it. It seems to be just what I need right now but wondered if anyone else had read it and what were your thoughts.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to those with victories. Sue in SD
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    Hello there, I'm back!

Susan - I do log occasionally but mainly I do it in my head. I currently am eating at 1850, but that's because I am so nearly at goal. I normally burn 460 in my exercises. I love food, not only as fuel, but also as history and social science. I so nearly wrote a book 30 years ago called Food for Thought. For me it is a window on the world and the past. I think my love of food has helped my weight loss because I am able to eat delicious meals by making quite minor adjustments on the calories. Your meals for your dad sound wonderful! I love quinoa and it reminds me of the time I spent in the Andes in Peru. Also your salmon cakes sound yummy!

Yesterday we had a great time with the grandchildren. DGD had a snuffly cold, but is now opening her eyes and taking me in. DGS is totally adorable, though DH does all the playing and spent the whole afternoon doing dinosaur games. Exhausting! It is a wonder to behold the two of them totally absorbed with these plastic toys. A whole soap opera and saga!
    DS wanted to cook me chinese dumplings or Pad Thai or pasta with pesto and feta. I declined in favour of salmon and veggies! We had some amazing Kentucky Bourbon which hit the spot.
    Got home late and unwound with some recorded comedy programmes. I can't go straight to bed after a busy day!

This am I attended the local charity bazaar and met up with a local women's group who were holding a baked goods stand. They meet once a month, but I have never gone although I always meant to. In December they are making Christmas wreaths so I pledged to turn up. I ordered an oasis wreath and some artificial berries and red roses from Amazon. Just have to go out and collect the pine sprigs and ivy. Should have a work of art! ! ! ! !

Today I ordered loads of Christmas presents on line and some string lights in silver and woodland garland. As they were 3 for 2. I will give one to DSIL for her birthday at the end of the month. I have ideas for almost everyone except my children. DS #1 is going to join his dad in France for Christmas where he is renting a house for 2 years from someone who is rich enough to buy up all the local houses and rent them out to nice quiet people who aren't there all the time!, I am hoping to get my DMIL's legacy off him before Christmas as I have purchased everything on credit card!

Going to watch my favourite programme in a minute - Inspector Montalbano - set in Sicily. It's the last one of this series. Waaargh!

See you tomorrow folks!
    Heather UK, to the sound of fireworks!
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Nov 9th, what I am thankful for today. Almost 33 years ago my youngest daughter came into the world as a gift. I knew something would be different about her from the start. For one, we had a lot of trouble conceiving and had to go on fertility pills. So when I finally got that positive test back we were over the moon! Boy did she change our lives. I had been wearing contacts for many years but while I was pregnant with her my whole body chemistry changed and I couldn't wear contacts anymore. I should have known something would be different about that child!!!!1:laugh: :laugh: She came into this world real quick, not waiting for anything including the doctor. Labor very quick and fast. I had failed in breast feeding my first daughter so I didn't even try with Michelle. She could drink a bottle of formula down so quick and then scream for more. She came out with a huge hair of pitch black hair, had no idea where that came from. Probably came from my FIL 1/4 Cherokee heritage. she wanted to see the world all day long, not wanting to sleep, had days and nights all mixed up and truthfully me to!!! Nothing about child raising I had learned form my first applied to Michelle. She was a whole new ball game. Full force into anything she wanted to do. Where her sister was into everything musical and arts, Michelle was in everything drama and sports. Come middle school age she decided that it was time to start the rebellion, wanting to be herself. Although she was very bright and scored high on achievement testing she wouldn't bring home work home, if she did she wouldn't finish it. High school was worse. This child who was in enrichment classes in middle school almost didn't get her diploma because of her grades. I think she went to college just to be away from us. The first grading period her GPA was .667. Not even a D average:huh: So she came home and lived with us:grumble: That's when all the battles between parents and child really started. It was a battle of the wills. Her father comes from a family that you do it one way, Dads way or else. I was brought up that you have to let a child find their way, allow them to make mistakes but be there when they fall and show them that you still love and support them. I will never know what all she was into and I don't think I want to know. All I know was that she was smoking and she knew what we thought about that. Thankfully she didn't smoke in the house. She always had low self esteem and dated the wrong kind of guys if she dayed at all. She was pretty tall, 5;11; and a little heavy. so she just didn't like herself. One thing she always did though was that no matter how much she hated her job, she stuck to it. She got that from her Dad and I. So she met a guy there, nice looking, with charisma. She was over the moons in love with him and really so was I. He came with a train load of baggage and he loved me and called me Mom, was kind, gentle, a gentleman. They moved in together. DH didn't know what to do about that but that but I told him that we have to pick our battles. Dan was going to keep us in his life, date nights were over here, we had Michelle back in our life. So although she knew we didn't give our blessing for them to move in together, neither did we have a choice. She was an adult. Either accept it and keep us in her life or make her choose and lose her. So when he asked us for her hand in marriage we readily agreed. Like I said, Dan came with a lot of baggage and was ADD and ADHD. Very impulsive, couldn't hold a job, overspent their money. One way he could bring in a nice paycheck was to join the National Guard. So he spent two tours in Iraq. During that time Michelle learned to lean on us for support. He also learned to find other women, STDs, gambling and breaking our hearts. So now they are apart and Michelle is still here in town with us. I know we would never be able to live in the same house again just like I cold never live with my Mom. But she is here for me. And I mean really here for me. We shop, she helps me buy my elertronic toys and hooks them up for me. She helps me ou of my comfort zone and instead of painting a pretty meadow gold, a bold mulberry instead. She grew up with the man I am still married to so I occasionally cry on her shoulder. She lets me know that she can see now that she is glad that through everything that went on in our marriage that they saw she is glad we are still together. It has helped her see what compromise and commitment is. She will probably never give us grand children but we have and will always accept our grand fur babies that visit us all the time. So today, Nov 9th, i say Michelle I love you and thank God for you every day for you are truly a gift. Not only for what you have given me but for what you have helped me become.

Sue in SD, we just had that Cirque de sole (spelling) here in town last week. I didn't go because it would take something else to get my husband to go to a symphony but the reviews on the additional, Cirque de ???, was wonderful, I'm sure the two of you will enjoy it. What a wonderful gift.

I was able to face time my other daughter today. We talked for almost 2 hours. she knows that sometimes instead of talking what I enjoy the most is just hearing my grand kids in the back ground. My almost 7 year old let me know all about the amazing facts about a spiders web today and you should never try to squash a bee if it lands on you. Can't wait to see them for Thanksgiving. we will celebrate the younger ones birthday on Thanksgiving before they go home. We have done that every year. Her birthday is the same day as my colonoscopy!!!! Of course the older one had her 12th birthday the same day as I had my tol nails removed!!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: “Just for today I will adjust myself to what is, and not try to adjust everything to my own desires. I will take my ‘luck’ as it comes, and fit myself to it.”

:flowerforyou: Michele, my dietary restrictions are religious (no pork or shellfish or meat served with dairy), digestive (avocado and beef give me gastric distress) and health/weight management (I avoid white flour, sugar, cheese, sauces, dressings, chips)……I make occasional exceptions (breadsticks at Olive Garden was a recent one and I had some of the stuffing I made for the potluck last Saturday)…except for avocado and more than a few bites of beef, it’s all personal choice…..I love Grey’s Anatomy, too….here’s the link to an article I read about Sandra Oh leaving http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/08/13/sandra-oh-leaving-greys-anatomy/

:flowerforyou: DeeDee, not walking the dogs has been really hard for me but I have been really disciplined and let Jake take them. This afternoon Jake was napping and the dogs started begging me for a walk and I was almost convinced by them so I got the ice pack and my book and lay down in the guest room and they came with me and seemed to get over their demand to go out….I am not usually this good about resting and taking it easy when I need to recover from something.

:flowerforyou: Jane, you are such a loving family member, always doing something kind for someone.

:flowerforyou: Laura, you sound like an organized person who knows how to get work and chores done, and judging from your weight loss, you find some time for exercise.

:flowerforyou: Meg, doesn’t it feel great to get yourself going to do exercise…what a feeling of accomplishment….enjoy the pizza.

:flowerforyou: BJ, good to hear from you again…..you’ve had a tough time emotionally and work-wise……those are difficult choices you have to make,

:flowerforyou: Sylvia, I shut off the notifier that says how many days in a row I’ve logged in because I know how committed I am and the occasional lapses have nothing to do with my overall commitment. When you and I are still posting to each other on this thread five years from now, no one will care that you missed a day because you didn’t feel well or I missed three days because I stayed in a hotel that didn’t have free wifi.

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: We’re off to another big gratitude dinner/potluck in a town about 40 minutes away. There will be turkey……I made a huge bowl of cole slaw to bring.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

2506167m2q75z4kbu.gif
  • Kalley1959
    Kalley1959 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Had a great day today. Weigh in this morning and I've lost another lb so that pushes me over 70 lbs lost. Got to the Y for aquafit this morning to find a new instructor, she was great and boy can my muscles feel it :laugh:

My baby girl turn 26 in a few weeks and I've been trying to find the perfect gift. We don't put up any Christmas decorations until after her birthday in hopes that it keeps it a bit more separate for her. I just can't believe how the years have past and my baby will be 26. :noway:

I am working on scrapbooks for both the kids, I have big bins that I've kept a lot of their things growing up. I have their first pair of shoes that I've put on a string so they dangle down the spine of the book. I have all their badges from swimming, DS's boy scout badges, DD's gymnastics ribbons, school things as well. Though I think it might be more then 1 book for each of them :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I'm spending a nice quiet night with DD catching up on a few shows that we have recorded.

Enjoy your Saturday night.

:heart: Sandy from ON
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I had a nice surprise visit from youngest son and his little 4 month baby girl today. Baby girl's mommy was taking the day off. Good for her. DS and I had a wonderful conversation during an hour long wonderful walk, with lil baby girl hanging out with her daddy in her own little hammock (you know what I mean, those contraptions that let these babies "hang" around). Anyway, she slept through all our important conversation about being abstract or linear and how human beings look at things with individual filters in place. Humanness...such a fascinating subject. He is studying civil engineering.

We walked through the noise of a firing range, bang, boom, but no way, baby was not bothered by it. She woke up when she was ready to wake up. What a little gal. I can already she her personality coming through.

This morning I went for my 2nd yoga therapeutic, and I find that the instructor is fabulous. I also went Costco shopping, which I usually leave to DH. And, I spent >$200. I better not do that again.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

I got up just after 6 this morning and actually got some reading in. Reading is my passion, but I find so little time for it. Tonight I have spaghetti squash and sweet potato fries.

Tomorrow is another Jazzercise at 9 AM. Let's remember Remembrance Day this weekend on the 11th of the 11th month for all those who fought for freedom. I am grateful.

:heart: Renny
    Vancouver Island, BC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    First went to Food Lion to get apples for an apple dessert that I'll make for Monday. I probably should have also gotten some apples for in a basket. Maybe I'll do that after church tonight. Update: did that, also found they have Duncan Hines frosting on sale bogo, so I got two cans of chocolate. I just like to have some in the pantry "just in case"

Then went to yoga. Then to the vets to get Loki's blood checked and Jessica wanted the vet to look at Shadow to see if she's gained any weight (she lost, which is good) and Lance since Lance has some sort of discharge out of his eye. They really didn't prescribe anything since this doesn't happen all the time, just when it does it really oozes. church tonight and then tomorrow I'm going to do a Belly Dance DVD, haven't done that in a while.

DeeDee - NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I hadn't heard we were going to get s**** (dirty word in my book. I'll just save MFP the time, instead of them editing that word, I'll just do it for them!). Maybe they were just joking with you????? I hope, I hope. I'm definitely NOT ready for this.

Does anyone have a good recipe for baked sweet potato fries from scratch? I've tried to make them, they usually come out "mushy". I read on one post to put cornstarch on them and then bake them, but they didn't taste right. I'd like to avoid putting oil on them if possible.

I think I told you that a friend has gotten episodes of Downtown Abbey that are being shown in England (they'll be in the US in Jan), so I'm hosting episodes 3 and 4 this Mon and she'll host 3 & 4 next Monday. So I'm making the apple cake for something to have, I'll probably also make coffee. Wish I could get Vince to put the BlueRay that is in the living room downstairs so we can watch on the big screen TV and not in the living room. We usually play mahjongg at her house on Monday nights, but she may be doing something for her mother so she asked if I could host. I told her if there's a problem, sure I can

Jessica is supposed to be back down here in two weeks since we have tickets to the TSO concert. She said at that time she wants to start getting residency in NC, or at least to show intent to get residence in the hope that she'll get into NC State vet school and the tuition will be lower. I'm so very proud of her. I've start to rationalize to myself that when Bryan came back from South Korea, in the package of the things he shipped home was a bong. I'm rationalizing that his attitude right now is due to the fact that he took some drug and it scrambled his brain cells. OK, that may not be right. But it's helping me not to be so sad everytime I look at something he gave me or did for me. Since his wedding he did call when Vince was in the hosp (probably since we were in Europe) and sent an email on our anniversary -- but that's only because Denise reminded him. Otherwise, no contact.

I made cod for us to have later in the week, I totally forgot that I need to make something to take to rummikub this Tues so I hurried up and made cheese cracklins. Then, just as I was about to sit down to read the posts, Jessica tells me that she's meeting Penn tomorrow in Nashville and if his mother is coming, she's (J) dragging Vince and I since she said that she can't take a whole lot of his mother. Of course, me being me, can't go empty handed so right now I have some pumpkin spice mini muffins in the oven. I really didn't feel like making cookies at 9:00 at night.

Jessica just told me that Penn's mother isn't going to be there so I don't have to go. My answer "you're still taking these muffins, I just made them"

Joyce - thank you so much for allowing us to learn so much about Michelle

barbie - have a great time at the pot luck

Sandy - my baby is 29 going on 30. I know, I know, I'm not old enough for this. Somehow, she doesn't totally agree....lol

Michele in NC
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Heather, is your book in publication or available anywhere for purchase? Sounds like a topic I would enjoy...food is so social. Look at us, we wouldn't be socializing had it not been for food!..too much of it.
    Joyce- You've a wonderful relationship with your daughter. I wish my daughters lived in town, I miss them greatly.

The Philippine Islands. What devastation. I hope the US helps them in a great way because the Filipinos have always been great allies of ours and are in need of so much aid.

Pop had a hard time going down the stairs...pain in both legs so he got as far as the landing and turned around and didn't go downstairs at all today. Finally gave him some Naproxen and got him in bed this eve with legs propped up. Says they feel better. He has not been on the treadmill in a week...maybe tomorrow I will get him downstairs and out to the treadmill (garage). Got to keep him mobile. He has an electric recliner that is great...it goes all the way back to a 30-45 degree angle with legs up flush with the body. It's really comfortable, and if it comes unplugged, there is a battery pack which allows it to continue working.
    Tomorrow I want to get in the garage and clear out some stuff. When my niece and nephew came in town, I put all the "junk" piled up in the back of the garage, now I want it put away or given to Goodwill. I enjoy cleaning and organizing, just wish I didn't have so much junk. I think I should get rid of stuff, then worry that I'll need it in a month. Did get rid of a lot of clothes this summer. I literally emptied a closet and now I open the door and peer in with a very satisfied smile.
    Watching an old Frankenstein movie...he's caught in a fire and all the townspeople are running. All the men have hats on. Lon Chaney, Ralph Bellamy and Bela Lugosi are actors I recognize.
    Bedtime.
    G'nite.
    Susan
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone

I haven't caught up with all the posts yet, but hope everyone is doing well :flowerforyou:

Sad day at work on Thursday, our dear colleague Cindy left the business, I will miss her smiling face at work. Mind you I'll still see her socially as we have become great friends. There's a few of us that meet up regularly. We met up in town for a mini leaving do for Cindy and then had the "official do" on Thursday lunchtime. Cindy was very touched as she has recently decided on a Vegan life style and everyone took, or cooked something Vegan for lunch. We sat together eating lovely food and having a good time, before we all had to go back to work.

We've had a hard time keeping our cats inside due to the fireworks. To say it's only supposed to be on 5th November - we've had fireworks nearly every night since last weekend and there were still some going off last night! :grumble:

It's quite cold here today and was a bit slippy when we took Frankie for his walk this morning. I can fall over at the best of times so I'm always a bit worried when it's frosty and slippy. The sun is out now, so hopefully it will get rid of the frost.

Terrible news about the typhoon in the Philippine Islands, and of course it is Remembrance Sunday here in the UK, such sadness in the world.

Need to move away from the computer :bigsmile:

Chat soon xx

Viv from York UK
  • dragonflypeace
    dragonflypeace Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I am new to the group and still trying to figure out MFP...

November Goals:
    1 - exercise 6 days a week
    2 - log all foods and drinks
    3 - enjoy the journey
    4 - repeat

Have a happy day!
    Tammy
  • tazgirl1960
    tazgirl1960 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies. It's actually beginning to feel like fall in Florida :heart: (it won't last ) so I am very much enjoying it while I can. Friday night I made rolled cabbage (never made them before) I found a recipe on Pinterest., very time consuming to make, but they turned out very good, I used both green and purple cabbage, next time I think I will just stick to using the green. Saturday I put the fixings in for home made beef stew, cooked on low for 8 1/2 hours the veggies were still a little crunch, we ate it anyways as it was going on 6pm and we were hungry (tasted fine) so I think my crock pot is going out, but it's very old and has served it's purpose well, so after Thanksgiving I will have to buy a new one.

:smile: Grandmallie--I'm glad I found it, love it. I know when I went to WW that some of the ladies would talk about it all the time, but they had to order it. Yeah Wal- Mart.

:smile: Katla--What branch of service is your son in, mine is in the Army. I hope your little dog is feeling better now. I'm looking forward to the day when I can clean out my closet to get rid of clothes that are too big, that means I'll be healthy (and can go shopping) that's a win, win. :bigsmile:

:smile: Sylvia--Hope everything will be well with your health soon. Prayers for you.

:smile: Barbie--I understand about the PB, I used to just spoon right out of jar love it so much (one of lifes guilty pleasures) but no more. Prayers for you to continue to heal.

:smile: Tereal--Nuts in the chocolate would have only made me want to eat it more. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:smile: YannieJannie--Hope all goes well with your DD. Thank you for the answer on the cabbage rolls.

:smile: Donna--Welcome

:smile: drkatiebug--Yeah for cleaning up your office, I seem to clean mine often only for it to pile right back up (too much going on at one time) I need to focus on just one project finish it, then move on. :tongue:

:smile: Michele--I had not heard about Sandra Oh, but maybe that's why all the fighting and breaking up in preparing for her to leave, not sure I would miss her. Buttermilk chocolate muffins sound good. I have friends that watch Downtown Abbey, I've never had a chance too, they seem to really enjoy watching. :happy:

:smile: DeeDee-- Thank you for the anniversary wishes. Glad you are feeling better. :flowerforyou:

:smile: Meg--I have never tried the water aerobics maybe that is exercise I can do with a messed up knee. I am an extremely proud Mom, I have the best kids in the world. :love: :love: :love:

:smile: Sandy--Congratulations on the loss. Our children grow up so fast, I have one 32, one 31 and one 26, I just don't know where the time went.

:smile: Tammy--Welcome

Hope everyone has a Blessed & Wonderful Day. :flowerforyou:
    Tina in Florida
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,341 Member
    Options
    My thoughts are in the Philippines. My DH's nephew's wife is Philippino and, of course, she has her family over there. Thankfully they are near Manila, which wasn't quite as bad, but just looking at the photos of the other islands is mind boggling.

We're planning to go up to London on Wednesday to see the Art of Australia exhibition at the Royal Academy. DH is a member. I wanted to have lunch at the Wolseley, which is a brasserie in a wonderful old car sale room, all art deco chandeliers etc, but they were fully booked until 2pm. I'm afraid I would be starving and fainting away by then, so we will go for our usual dim sum in China Town instead. I might see if my friend can join us. We will have an hour and a half for the gallery and then make a mad dash for the 16.09 train. Don't want to get caught up with the rush hour.

It's going to be a busy week as I have booked a meal in town for me and my yoga friend on Thursday. Brasserie Blanc. It's a chain owned by Raymond Blanc, a celebrity chef. Is he on your TVs? I have eaten at his main restaurant in Oxfordshire, but this is a LOT cheaper. They do a cheap set lunch. I shall be on the fish and seafood options as always!:bigsmile:

I managed 25 push ups this morning. Getting there!:happy:

Susan - I never actually published the book in the end, though I did a lot of research and got a publisher interested. I think I found the size of the subject daunting and was busy writing children's books at the time. Now I wish I had done it as 30 years ago there was very little out there of that kind and I might have had a whole new career as a food critic and commentator.

Barbie - I know you have found a way of life that makes you very happy, but I can't imagine my life without seafood or avocados! ! ! Two things that make me very happy indeed!:laugh: They would definitely be part of my last meal on earth.

See you all later! Heather from a sunny Hampshire. UK
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,793 Member
    Options
    morning ladies, had my lemon water, and will go off to the gym, everything was fine until early last night, my DH computer crapped out,he is a big computer geek and he has everything on there, he does have the financial stuff backed up, then our riding mower is on its last legs, and our box for Dish(satelite)sp? in the bedroom crapped out, so no tv at night for him, he is in a real funk, so I am staying clear.. he has never hit me or done anything to the dogs, when he gets real angry he pounds his fist on a wall or a desk and starts yelling, dont worry between the dogs and I ,we scatter and just leave him alone.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    DDIL is visiting and yesterday we stopped into a local distillery’s tasting room right after stopping by the marine mechanics place to learn that we’ll have to replace the motor on the fishing boat. The one it came with can’t be made to run reliably. The distillery lightened our hearts after the bad news. This is the first time we’ve been there, and we had a great time. We ended up buying a bottle of their vodka, which is exceptional, and Bloody Mary mix that is also a local product. Their best product isn’t for sale, and it is too bad we couldn’t buy any. They make 40 proof ice cream that is divine. DH & I had tastes of the mixed berry ice cream & DDIL tasted the pumpkin pie ice cream. They make two versions of Grog. Their Grog isn’t the same as the traditional British Navy version. It is essentially flavored vodka, and surprisingly has a cinnamon, brown sugar & smokey flavor. At least that is how I’d describe it. We might get some next time.

We did drop off our clothes at the Senior Center and bought raffle tickets as planned, but I also bought a freestanding reindeer for $3. He is made out of the sort of wire cored “evergreen” materials that so many little artificial trees are made from and was a sad and pathetic fellow I couldn’t leave behind. We stopped by Walmart after running other errands and got some mini shatterproof red Christmas Balls to make him a new nose, a matching bow and ribbon for his neck, and plastic eyes. Add a little hot glue and Rudolph is looking MUCH better now.:laugh: I might put Christmas lights in his antlers, too, but haven’t done it yet. I’ll be posting his picture to my “home” page shortly.

BJ, SW Ont: Welcome back! I’m glad you’re enjoying your new career even though it is more work and less pay. That is the life of a teacher-even at college level.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I hope you’re having a beautiful weekend.:flowerforyou:

Sue in SD: I haven’t read A Course on Weightloss. If you read it let us know whether you think it is worthwhile.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I admire your ability to log your food in your head. I don’t trust myself to do it at this point, and maybe never will. Time will tell. We took DDIL out to a Thai Restaurant in our neighborhood last night and had Pad Thai. Lovely food, cooked to our individual “heat” preferences. I’m a zero heat woman, but DH and DDIL like it hot. I am so amazed that you already have your Christmas presents ordered. WTG!:flowerforyou:

Joyce: I love your gratitudes.:love:

Barbie: You are doing the right thing by taking a break from dog walking, but I’m sure it is hard for you. Your consistent focus on health is something I admire.:flowerforyou:

Sandy from ON: Congratulations on your loss. 70 lbs gone is a significant achievement.:flowerforyou:

Renny: I appreciate your poppy for Veteran’s Day. DS is active duty military and deployed right now. I should find a poppy, too. I envy your time with DS and DGD. It sounds like a wonderful visit. I have gained so much strength and flexibility from my yoga classes. I am not surprised that your therapeutic yoga is helping.:flowerforyou:

Michelle: One of my fellow yoga students is a belly dancer. She loves it. We make baked sweet potato fries that we love, but they don’t have any crunch. We simply put a small amount of olive oil in a baking dish and add the cut up sweet potato, then toss it around a bit and bake. They’re excellent. Alexia makes frozen Sweet Potato fries that are yummy and have a little crunch when baked. I don’t remember what is in the ingredients list on the package. My baby is 34 and my oldest is 38. They’re still my babies, and at 64 I have a younger attitude than my own mother ever did. Your 29 YO daughter is still your baby, and that does NOT make you old.:noway: :wink:

Viv: Sorry to hear that your coworker has left the company but you are lucky to be able to keep her as a personal friend. Fireworks in November make me wonder what is being celebrated. Guy Fawkes Day?:flowerforyou:

Tammy: Welcome to a great group. Where are you from?:flowerforyou:

Tina in FL: My son in the army.:flowerforyou:

Grandmallie: I haven’t had lemon water until last night, and it was hot water with fresh lemon. I had it to help warm myself up when we went out to dinner because I was cold & they didn’t have any tea.:flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

November goals:
    1. Log every bite
    2. Focus on fitness: cardio and strength every week
    3. Drink 3 or more glasses of water daily
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I did post my poppy in remembrance of those who have served our country. My son is active duty. My cousin was killed in Vietnam, and I still miss him. My dad served in WWII. God Bless all of the men & women who keep us safe from harm.
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I hope you are all having a beautiful Sunday! It's gorgeous here so far.

Yesterday afternoon we went hiking on one of the nature trails here at the lake. The dogs were in heaven, with all the smells and critters to investigate. We saw a bunch of deer across the creek from us, and they ran off and all we could see were their little white tails bouncing through the woods. I did really well walking, considering that I felt so awful the day before. No chest pains, or neck or arm. And it was uphill both ways. I'm still tickled at how much easier the hills are now, and climbing the stairs at the cabin is easy as pie. For supper i made chicken breasts on the indoor grill and salad. My chicken had Mrs Dash and hubby's had seasoning salt. Hubby has decided he wants to eat a little lighter too, so it's nice when I don't have to cook two separate meals.

This morning before 6am one of the yorkiepoos from three doors down came barking at our bedroom door. It has a sliding glass door that opens onto the upper deck and the little stinker, Sassy, often goes up there to see hubby who gives her treats and rubs her belly. But not at 6am! Of course that invited our two dogs to join a sing-along, so no more sleeping could be done. But maybe she was just waking us up so we didn't miss the beautiful sunrise over the lake. It was spectacular.

I'm hoping to have the kids over for supper tonight, but don't have a clue what ti make.

I hope everybody is well!

Sylvia