How big is a piece of cake?

Options

Replies

• delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    amazing-cakes-33.jpg

Perhaps the correct measurement is hiding in the "chicken" entries.

Shame it looks raw instead of roasted.
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    An American standard cake slice is 1/8th of the cake.
    In European slicing that converts to 0.13672 cakes.
    GO METRIC!

1/8 = 0.125

If 1 European slice is 0.13672 cakes, then the cake is being sliced into 7.3142 slices.......

1/8 = 0.125 US units.

SI units are a completely different ball of wax.

Did you know that there is a slice of cake made out of gold in Stockholm that they keep under a glass dome that is the official "SI Slice of Cake" ? And don't even ask what happens once you're past 1 mile above sea level.

What happens once you're past 1 mile above sea level?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    this big

^^^ yeah. this big

this is why it's a good idea to stick only to entries that use grams. weigh your cake then log it as however many grams of cake, then there's no doubt.
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    GO METRIC!

1/8 = 0.125

If 1 European slice is 0.13672 cakes, then the cake is being sliced into 7.3142 slices.......

1/8 = 0.125 US units.

Did you know that there is a slice of cake made out of gold in Stockholm that they keep under a glass dome that is the official "SI Slice of Cake" ? And don't even ask what happens once you're past 1 mile above sea level.

you think that's bad... take that slice of cake to the moon or Jupiter and see how much it weighs then....
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    amazing-cakes-33.jpg

Perhaps the correct measurement is hiding in the "chicken" entries.

Shame it looks raw instead of roasted.

yeah, they need to brown off that icing sugar a bit
  • watfordjc
    watfordjc Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    How many slices/pieces are in a "container" of said cake?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,021 Member
    Options
    this big

^^^ yeah. this big

this is why it's a good idea to stick only to entries that use grams. weigh your cake then log it as however many grams of cake, then there's no doubt.

But there are times when you can't weigh it, and then you just have to estimate that it is an average slice of average chocolate or whatever sort cake and go with that.

I mean you don't have your scales with you at birthday parties or in little cafes that sell home made cake.
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    But there are times when you can't weigh it, and then you just have to estimate that it is an average slice of average chocolate or whatever sort cake and go with that.

I mean you don't have your scales with you at birthday parties or in little cafes that sell home made cake.

Some people are more committed to weight loss than others I guess.
  • JennetteMac
    JennetteMac Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    well, I know it's NOT 3.14 because that's the measurement used for pie.

I love this. So glad you're here to bring science to this subject.:heart:
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    One slice of Great Wall Chocolate Cake at P.F. Changs has 1440 calories and 68 grams of fat (per the website). It is also supposed to be four servings (bahahahaaha....).
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    this big

^^^ yeah. this big

Not only is it not realistic to have scales with you 24/7, but you would pretty much have to destroy the cake to get an accurate weight for calorie count. Cake has a different calorie content per any given weight than frosting. As with all calorie counts, a bit of common sense is needed for recording. For member entered "slices" that is the size of a standard slice that they consume. If there is not enough info for you to figure out how big that is, don't use the item. For Restaraunts they have standard serving sizes for all their menu items and they have calculated the calories based on that serving size. If the little voice in your head doubts the accuracy of the calorie count adjust it so it is right for you. Store bought sheet cakes and wedding cake have standard serving sizes, I don't remember what it is off the top of my head. If you anticipate eating cake from a store bought sheet cake the serving size can be found online by looking up the correct "cutting guides" There is even a "correct" way to cut a wedding cake so that no matter which tier the piece came from it is a equal size.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    GO METRIC!

1/8 = 0.125

1/8 = 0.125 US units.

you think that's bad... take that slice of cake to the moon or Jupiter and see how much it weighs then....
    Fortunately, MFP has the Jupiter database for those occasions.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    this big

^^^ yeah. this big

Not only is it not realistic to have scales with you 24/7, but you would pretty much have to destroy the cake to get an accurate weight for calorie count. Cake has a different calorie content per any given weight than frosting. As with all calorie counts, a bit of common sense is needed for recording. For member entered "slices" that is the size of a standard slice that they consume. If there is not enough info for you to figure out how big that is, don't use the item. For Restaraunts they have standard serving sizes for all their menu items and they have calculated the calories based on that serving size. If the little voice in your head doubts the accuracy of the calorie count adjust it so it is right for you. Store bought sheet cakes and wedding cake have standard serving sizes, I don't remember what it is off the top of my head. If you anticipate eating cake from a store bought sheet cake the serving size can be found online by looking up the correct "cutting guides" There is even a "correct" way to cut a wedding cake so that no matter which tier the piece came from it is a equal size.

Too much cake thinking not enough eating.
  • DMZ_1
    DMZ_1 Posts: 2,889 Member
    Options
    A piece of cake is however big it is sliced by the person slicing it.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    this big

^^^ yeah. this big

I agree. What I'm saying is that it's difficult to find an entry in the database that actually uses weight. There's like a HUGE list of cake entries, and almost all of them are "1 piece."

It makes me wonder what is wrong with so many people that they all think "1 piece" is a unit of measurement or, "hey this is helpful so I think I'll put it in the database like this."
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It's usually 2x2 for a rectangular cake. That's what it says on the boxes of cake mixes that I've seen. Some might be different.

I don't add my homemade cakes to the public database since nobody else uses my 6,000-calorie frosting. :love:
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    well, I know it's NOT 3.14 because that's the measurement used for pie.

Hahahahahaha. Nice.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Well, the best way to do it is make your own cake and use the recipe builder. It's more accurate than trying to figure out what someone else meant.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    Well, the best way to do it is make your own cake and use the recipe builder. It's more accurate than trying to figure out what someone else meant.
    Yeah. And then add it to the public database with "1 piece" as the serving size.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Some people are more committed to weight loss than others I guess.

Yes! If you don't carry scales to work, school, cafes, and birthday parties, you lack commitment :indifferent: :flowerforyou: