MFP Runners Club - July 22

Options
124»

Replies

• jpritts
    jpritts Posts: 36
    Options
    Today was a day of rest for me. THese old bones need a break every now and then. Hitting the pavement again bright and early though. I do not want to get back into the routine of the "old" me.
  • pmkelly409
    pmkelly409 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    Today was a day of rest for me. THese old bones need a break every now and then. Hitting the pavement again bright and early though. I do not want to get back into the routine of the "old" me.

Aren't rest days great!??! good for you for keeping a positive attitude!! stay motivated!! How far do you plan for the morning? do you or have you run in any races? Do you have to take any type of fitness tests for the police dept?
  • debuckl
    debuckl Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I post so darn late I'm not sure if anyone ever sees my posts. LOL! I'll write it anyway...

I haven't ran in a few days. Things just didn't work out so that I could. Today I couldn't run my normal route and the school track was being used, so my sister and I sprinted up a hill and jogged down. Up and down, up and down for about 20 minutes, then walked another 20 minutes. I was surprised at how fast I was able to get up the hill. I'm hoping to increase my speed without over training right before my race this weekend.

I'm so excited to go. Well, excited and nervous. I just keep reminding myself I'm trying to beat my time, not anyone else.

Any advice right before the race would be appreciated!
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    I post so darn late I'm not sure if anyone ever sees my posts. LOL! I'll write it anyway...

I haven't ran in a few days. Things just didn't work out so that I could. Today I couldn't run my normal route and the school track was being used, so my sister and I sprinted up a hill and jogged down. Up and down, up and down for about 20 minutes, then walked another 20 minutes. I was surprised at how fast I was able to get up the hill. I'm hoping to increase my speed without over training right before my race this weekend.

I'm so excited to go. Well, excited and nervous. I just keep reminding myself I'm trying to beat my time, not anyone else.

Any advice right before the race would be appreciated!

Hi there Debuckl - Glad you decided to post.:smile:
    An upcoming race is exciting! With just a few days before the race, your training is complete. Everything that you do now is maintenance. I always rest the day or two before the race. Sometimes my anxiety won't let me so I'll rest one day and run an easy paced mile the day before the race.

For future training, I would recommend a hill workout at least once a week. I've read that hills are a great way to increase your speed while avoiding injury. If you live in or have access to a hilly route, plan a run there. My street is parallel to another street. Both have big hills. It is a half mile loop. I run a mile to warm up. Then, I run the loop until I have spent 7-10 minutes running up hill. It is one of my favortie workouts.

Can't wait to hear how your race goes!
    -Kechie.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    What do ya'll think of treadmill running? The weather over here is supposed to be in the 100s alllll week meaning it'll be around 80 even early in the morning! I am seriously thinking about moving my routine inside. What do you guys think?

Smart choice! Running in that kind of heat sounds unbearable. Recently I read that some people meet with running groups at 4:30 am to avoid the heat. If meeting a group at 4:30 am is not an option, I say hit the treadmill. Maybe pop in your favorite movie or watch a little tv so you don't get bored.

-Kechie.