The Starvation Mode Myth...again.

Replies

• v70t5m
    v70t5m Posts: 186 Member
    Interesting indeed

If one does measure their BMR and it is low and their TDEE is also low - then to lose weight in a healthy manner you have to be higher than BMR and lower than TDEE - right

So what if those numbers say BMR is 822 and TDEE is 1350 - 515 calories per day decfict for 1 pound per week loss = 835

As you cut your calories, your BMR and TDEE will drop in an attempt to compensate, i.e. metabolism slows. The body is fairly adaptable.

Cut calories until you are losing at a safe rate, stick with it until you reach your healthy weight. Add in heavy weight lifting to maintain the muscle you have.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    tl;dr so bump to read later
  • stormie_kelli
    stormie_kelli Posts: 1 Member
    Also I got scientific proof for myself during my 60 lb weight loss journey from obese down to 10% body fat. My doctor checked my hormone levels throughout the process. I have a low RMR, am short, older, and had to eat under 1200 calories to lose the 60 lbs. The DXA scan showed that I did not go into starvation mode or lose lean body mass. In fact in the end it shows I have higher lean body mass than most females my height. I am 5'1" and my lean body mass is 104 lbs. That is still pretty tiny because I'm petite, but it's high for my height and gender. Also the technician said my bone density is that of a super fit 30 year old and I'm almost 52. If that is not scientific proof that lifting weights keeps you younger I don't know what else is.

Thanks for posting this - I've experienced the same thing. All this starvation talk was really messing with my head. I finally had an RMR test done and because I'm 40lbs overweight, only 5' 4", and 44 years old, my RMR was very low. The results show that I cannot eat more than 1127 calories per in order to lose weight. It also showed that if I was to eat only 1127 each day and work out 3 hours a week, it would take me 3 years to lose 40lbs, so I have to increase my exercise AND eat below 1200 cals. Even after the test I still questioned the Nutritionist because of what I've read on these boards about starvation/eating back calories. He said it's not true, everyone is different, and I cannot argue against an RMR test because it's the most accurate information based on just ME. For further proof, I visited several different RMR/BMR calculators on the Internet and they all came back with almost double the calorie intake of what the actual medical device came back with.
  • This is smart advice. But my problem or question rather is at what calorie level do you start? What if you're eating a fairly low calorie diet compared to the activity you do each day (I burn around 3000 and eat around 2200-2500) and you still aren't losing? What if when I eat at 2200 or less I get terrible insomnia and anxiety? There is soooo much more to the weight loss puzzle and it can be incredibly difficult to figure out what step to take next.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    I burn around 3000 and eat around 2200-2500...

How do you know you burn around 3000?

How do you know you eat 2200-2500?
  • I do understand that many are focused on the short term (1 to 5 years) for good looks and health. BUT it's good to consider our future. I for one have volunteered in old age homes and understand how what I do now can effect me later.
    Wholistic health considers nutrition, fitness and mental health. Studies have shown getting proper nutrients and fitness can improve health and prevent disease and ailments.

Forget the words "starvation mode" and just think: Our bodies cannot make nutrients, if it cannot be stored it will take it from a source.
    There were symptoms indicated above such as hormone levels and performance issues. Those don't sound scary. But what if you think about the fact that not getting the needed nutrients can cause your organs to work harder, and gives the body a hard time producing hormones and chemicals needed for body function. I am trying to word this simple. I hope you understand how scary that is for your body not to have something and take it from another part of itself. That is putting your future happiness in jeopardy. Who wants to have back pain and need a walker.

I hope I worded it simple enough, because everyone is always talking about starvation mode when really you need to worry about your body struggling to find what it needs. Drink enough water and get all the needed vitamins, minerals, fat, carbs and protein.

Aside from weight loss, muscle growth, body image, fast way easy way, long way hard way... Whatever.. just make sure your body gets what it needs so it's not over working itself...
  • Here's a good video of Dr. Layne Norton talking about the subject and how starvation mode can cause you to gain back more weight and make losing the regained weight harder than the initial loss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hw3kfRkqVWU&list=TLsuRw11lGCQeh90YVDE0EU3wErs9uEFxa
  • So glad I found this topic! Thanks for sharing!
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    I think a lot of people confuse "starvation mode" and plain old starvation. You can be starving and be fat; you can starve and not lose weight. Starvation is severe nutritional deprivation, whether of calories alone, calories and nutrients, or just nutrients -- and it's a different thing from "starvation mode," which is a metabolic process alteration that presents in very specific long-term circumstances.

You are confusing starvation with malnutrition.

Starvation -- suffering or death caused by having nothing to eat or not enough to eat.

Malnutrition -- lack of proper nutrition, caused by not having enough to eat, not eating enough of the right things, or being unable to use the food that one does eat.
  • KindredSouls
    KindredSouls Posts: 188 Member
    dead-horse.gif
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member
    I applaud your efforts, but starvation mode will never die on mfp

It will certainly never die as long as MFP spins this yarn - "*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum."

If this so called 'starvation mode' exists - why were the people in WW2 camps, and why are anorexics, like walking skeletons? Certainly all these people were/are very, very ill and malnourished, but it did NOT happen because their calorie intake went under 1200 for a few days.
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member

It will certainly never die as long as MFP spins this yarn - "*Based on your total calories consumed for today, you are eating too few calories. Not only is it difficult to receive adequate nutrition at these calorie levels, but you could also be putting your body into starvation mode. Starvation mode lowers your metabolism and makes weight loss more difficult. We suggest increasing your calorie consumption to 1200 calories per day minimum."

If this so called 'starvation mode' exists - why were the people in WW2 camps, and why are anorexics, like walking skeletons? Certainly all these people were/are very, very ill and malnourished, but it did NOT happen because their calorie intake went under 1200 for a few days.

Does it? Jesus! They need to rethink this big time!
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member

I think we should start a petition to take that nonsense down!!! They could still have the warning, but just take out all the starvation mode bs.

"
  • Siansonea
    Siansonea Posts: 917 Member
    So, I can't eat more calories? :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • Irenaekl
    Irenaekl Posts: 116 Member

I think we should start a petition to take that nonsense down!!! They could still have the warning, but just take out all the starvation mode bs.

"

It should definitely be taken down! It flashes this up even if it's only for ONE day and I have eaten 1150 cals!!
  • alexrenner2013
    alexrenner2013 Posts: 13 Member
    I feel as if the idea of starvation is a myth. I fasted for long periods of time, would eat as little as possible and only gained. this post helped explain things a lot.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Starvation mode is not a myth.
    Raspberry ketones work wonders.
    Strength training for women will make them grow chest hair.
    Bigfoot does exist and owns a condo near Area 51.
    Live long and prosper.

But what about that dang banana that goes black?
  • Currently attempting the 5:2 Fast Diet - a diet that is backed up by solid research. I'm sooooo tired of hearing people say that I'm sending my body into "starvation mode". Thanks for the insight into the Minnesota study research and for some solid, facts based information.