Gastric Sleeve Patients?????

Options

Replies

• TammyDavenport
    Options
    Hello Everyone! So I have started my Pre op diet (5th day) and I am seriously mentally struggling, I didn't realize how addicted to food i really was... Anyone else have issue with the liquid diet??? I am excited and anxious for the surgery to be over with, which is the 27th the day before Thanksgiving!
  • twhitaker2
    Options
    I started my one meal a day Friday and I start the full liquid diet on 11/25 with surgery on 12/9. This is my second VSG. The first time I did the liquids with no problem. This second time, I am having a hard time with the one meal. I am not eating all day but use the protein shakes for two meals. I am the hungriest at night and like to snack. One trick I learned the first time: when you are hungry, brush your teeth and rinse your mouth with mouthwash. This will curb your appetite
  • twhitaker2
    Options
    Kayla- If you've been overweight for awhile, the skin doesn't snap back when you lose weight. Even if you incorporate exercise, you may still have pockets of lose skin. My doctor recommended that I get close to my ideal weight before I do the tummy tuck
  • bundycat
    Options
    Hi all I had my sleeve done 11 days ago I have been on the liquid diet for a week my dietian says to increase the volume from 60 ml in 60 minutes to 200 mls in 60 min over the next week does this sound correct I am just concerned its a big jump up over the next week anyone can tell me what or how the done this?
  • 1keanna2
    Options
    Hi everyone. I had my surgery on 11/11/13 doing good so far. Just have a really bad problem with whey protein I cannot handle the sweet sweet taste or smell. Has anyone had this problem or any suggestions. HELP. :angry:
  • Demarich
    Options
    I had my surgery a week ago. I am very concerned because a lot of people are talking about losing there hair. I have very thin hair to begin with and want to do whatever possible not to lose it . Any suggestions.
  • herbsandlemons27
    Options
    I was sleeved Nov 22 I was 317 when i started my doctor supervised diet im now 4 weeks out today and weigh 267. I was 293 the day of my surgery. Thing is i'v been at 267 for the last five days now i know i could be losing inches but this has always been my hump spot i couldn't get past with previous diets so i'm prettty worried. I'v been doing as I should with exception to my protien I havn't been able to get those protien shakes down im not even gettin 20g a day from them ill the flavors i loved before my surgery are unpalatable now.
  • herbsandlemons27
    Options
    I've heard that Biotin is an excellent supplement for curbing hair loss you can get it in any stores vitamins section rite aid cvs walmart.
  • herbsandlemons27
    Options
    Kayla I had mine on the nov 22 too and just turned 25, the extra skin is some thing i've been worried about too. From what i've learned the amount of excess skin mostly depends on the individual, however a decent firming lotion on your problem areas (those areas your most worried about) I only say this because The one i chose is to expensive for my whole body. Just keep your skin weel conditioned and wieght training, arm and legs curls increase you muscle and helps pull your skin taunt. Of course in only works if you do it consistantly and of course theres alot of room for individualization. Everyons body is different. I hope this helps and congrats on your surgery!
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Hey Kelly,
    I had the sleeve on 4/29. Your are absolutely right, this surgery as all WLS are a tool, not a miracle cure for obesity. It is our responsibility to make the right choices. What are you grazing on or right now you are just dealing with the desire to graze? I would highly recommend keeping fresh fruit in the house and graze on that if you must, otherwise do something else. Take that cute little dog in your avatar for a walk, do a 5 minute exercise routine, something, anything to prevent yourself from falling into old habits. We all have demons to battle, good luck on your journey and congrats on the 29 lb weight loss.

Roy

This was going to be my advice - fresh fruits and veggies. I also use popcorn as a good grazing tool. You can eat one piece at a time and make it last awhile. I'm not a WLS patient, though, so I don't know if popcorn is an approved food for you.

I recently read from someone that they put a belt around their fridge. That way, you have to really think about it before you open the fridge. You could probably also use some kind of childproofing tool, or even a rope - just something to make you think so you aren't mindlessly going into the fridge.

Also, see if you can identify *why* you're grazing. Quite often, I realize that I'm kind of stressed. It's a time that I would have normally gone for a cigarette, but I quit 4 years ago. So since there's no smokes, I'm going for food. Maybe you need sugar-free gum, sugar-free candy, or chew on a cinnamon stick?

Good luck!! And congrats on your surgery. :)
  • Adw7677
    Adw7677 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I had my surgery a week ago. I am very concerned because a lot of people are talking about losing there hair. I have very thin hair to begin with and want to do whatever possible not to lose it . Any suggestions.

I've heard excellent things about Nioxin. You can also Google something like "herbal hair loss remedies." Rosemary and Sage are good for scalp rejuvenation. Peppermint also. I have little bottles of the essential oils. I dilute them with water in a haircoloring applicator bottle, and then apply to scalp. When I remember to do it, it really helps.
  • azdsgal
    Options
    Wow, what a great thread. It's so awesome to see so many other sleeve people here. I too am a VSG'r (11/07/2012) and I've lost 136 pounds so far. Anyone looking for support may add me. Good luck to you all!

Barbara
  • herbsandlemons27
    Options
    Sorry I meant October 22 don't know what I was thinking these first four weeks seem to have gone on forever! Lol
  • edancy0214
    Options
    Hello everyone, I did the sleeve on October 31, 2013 and I regret it. Can someone please help me? I only lost 12 lbs and I have to lose 30 lbs by Dec 13th. I can't exercise without hurting myself. I need help
  • edancy0214
    Options
    Hairfinity works very well
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I did the sleeve on October 31, 2013 and I regret it. Can someone please help me? I only lost 12 lbs and I have to lose 30 lbs by Dec 13th. I can't exercise without hurting myself. I need help

Why do you HAVE to lose 30 pounds by Dec. 13th?

Losing 12 pounds in less than a month is actually pretty good by any comparison. Are you following your surgeon's guidelines? Are you getting in meaningful activity (walking at your stage) and being compliant with your food intake?

Some people lose very rapidly at first and some don't. Almost everyone experiences a stall around the 3-week post-op mark as the body adjusts to it's new reality of reduced caloric intake. Some people have to work very hard to lose, just as they did pre-op, and some people lose and maintain fairly easily.

All you can do is follow your surgeon's plan and stay engaged in the process. You don't have any control over the number on the scale, but you do have control over your thoughts and actions every day.
  • cathygonzalez940
    Options
    Hi I am two weeks post op gastric sleeve and I can relate completely. I am still at a point where I regret doing this surgery. I am in discomfort most of the day. I wish I sofias wake up feeling back to normal.
  • bundycat
    Options
    I can relate I am sick of the pain cant sleep food taste yuck I am not hungry at all n some times wish I never had the surgery but it can only get better from here on I had my surgery on the 8/11/13 around 2 half weeks ago
  • mommagirl_3
    Options
    I was just approved for surgery so i do not have a date yet. I am from Baltimore and going to Langhorne Pa for my surgery. I am excited and nervous, has anyone else traveled to have the surgery performed?
  • Lala_White
    Lala_White Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I had my gastric sleeve surgery on 12/31/12. I don't regret it one bit. I am down 114 pounds since before my surgery and 91 pounds since surgery.