Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Did we ever figure out how much money the clean eaters where going to save in obamacare money?

Since most diet related diseases take many years to develop, and so many other factors such as lifestyle, family history, and chance probabilities would come into play, that would be a very difficult amount to figure.

Implying that people who don't "eat clean" will develop diet-related diseases.

How else would one save money on healthcare except to avoid disease? And how else would clean eating affect disease, other than diet related disease?

It looks like you're treating "clean eating leads to fewer diseases" as a postulate instead of a hypothesis.

It "looks like" what you choose to see, and I can't control what you choose to infer from a simple post.

A poster asked if we had figured their healthcare savings from clean eating. I postulated nothing other than it would be hard to figure. The rest was all you.

But you're assuming it would be something other than zero ;)
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I skipped pages 2-12 because I just don't care...

I don't have any idea what eating clean means, but I totally agree on your view of food.

I eat whole foods, organic when possible, local when possible, no beef or pork, yada yada. 100% of the time? No. But I would say at least 90%. It's not even for weight loss... it's because

1 - I don't want to eat all of the GRAS stuff the FDA allows in processed foods though no one has studied.
    2 - pesicides and GMOs scare me (even though Monsanto swears they're safe)
    3 - I care about the environmental and economic impact our (the US) food system has on the entire world
    4 - I disagree with the way most food animals are raised (living conditions, hormones, feed, etc).
    5 - My kid has food allergies and I have to know exactly what is in his food and how it's prepared

The result of my eating this way? I eat like a horse, exercise little, don't count calories, and don't gain weight. I also FEEL better.

i love this reply! but if you dont count calories, why are you on MFP?

I can't really speak for them...

...but I'm here for the consistently knowledgeable, intelligent, and logical forums.

ETA: Yeah, I also count calories...but that's just to fit in with the cool kids.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Did we ever figure out how much money the clean eaters where going to save in obamacare money?

Since most diet related diseases take many years to develop, and so many other factors such as lifestyle, family history, and chance probabilities would come into play, that would be a very difficult amount to figure.

How else would one save money on healthcare except to avoid disease? And how else would clean eating affect disease, other than diet related disease?

It looks like you're treating "clean eating leads to fewer diseases" as a postulate instead of a hypothesis.

It "looks like" what you choose to see, and I can't control what you choose to infer from a simple post.

A poster asked if we had figured their healthcare savings from clean eating. I postulated nothing other than it would be hard to figure. The rest was all you.

Reading minds now, are we?
  • jlblovely
    jlblovely Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat clean..Works for me! Eating clean is about your body not the environment though...(If you search the history of it.)(and people, like me, who eat clean tend to do supplements, protein shakes and what not, that are put in containers and "made". I stopped eating mammals..because my cholesterol and triglycerides were through the roof and... because I like animals...but if you wanna go eat that Big Mac.....that is your perogative! I don't know why anyone would bash anyone on here..but people behind a keyboard can sometimes be jerks...I have a; ."I can't type it if I wouldn't say it to your face" rule. But when we bring up others negativity it is just fueling the fire. I support anyone who makes an effort to be healthier! Oh and I am on here because it is a printable journal of my food consumption and I can make sure I am keeping my sugar, carbs and protein where I need them...you don't have to just use this for weight loss! Haters everywhere! come on guys! BE NICE!
  • jonnythan
    Options

If that's how you refer to reading...
  • jlblovely
    jlblovely Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I eat clean..Works for me! Eating clean is about your body not the environment though...(If you search the history of it.)(and people, like me, who eat clean tend to do supplements, protein shakes and what not, that are put in containers and "made". I stopped eating mammals..because my cholesterol and triglycerides were through the roof and... because I like animals...but if you wanna go eat that Big Mac.....that is your perogative! I don't know why anyone would bash anyone on here..but people behind a keyboard can sometimes be jerks...I have a; ."I can't type it if I wouldn't say it to your face" rule. But when we bring up others negativity it is just fueling the fire. I support anyone who makes an effort to be healthier! Oh and I am on here because it is a printable journal of my food consumption and I can make sure I am keeping my sugar, carbs and protein where I need them...you don't have to just use this for weight loss! Haters everywhere! come on guys! BE NICE!
    :flowerforyou:
  • bcattoes
    Options

Still you reading and you infering. I never said any of the things you suggest.
  • jonnythan
    Options

I inferred it because you implied it.

You assumed there is a difference in disease between clean and not clean. It is an implicit assumption to your whole post.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    oops
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Wow. I guess you have to spell everything out and paint a picture in black and white for some people. smh...
  • tibby531
    tibby531 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I eat clean[er] because most of my "healthy/fit" family members came down with and/or have died from cancer, so I have a conspiracy theory that all the fake stuff they put in "food" gets stuck and is unable to be processed through our bodies, and that contributes to cancer.

maybe it's because I don't have children/no one would mourn me/I haven't passed "my legacy" onto anyone, but I don't want to be 60 and using my retirement funds to pay for chemo and radiation.

I want to live!

...so I eat real food as much as possible. :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

I inferred it because you implied it.

You assumed there is a difference in disease between clean and not clean. It is an implicit assumption to your whole post.

Nope, still just you projecting. That could, I suppose, be true of the poster who asked about the savings (I took her post as a sarcastic inference to a previous post, but that could just be me projecting). I only said that it would be hard to calculate, no reference to outcome was made or implied.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I eat clean[er] because most of my "healthy/fit" family members came down with and/or have died from cancer, so I have a conspiracy theory that all the fake stuff they put in "food" gets stuck and is unable to be processed through our bodies, and that contributes to cancer.

maybe it's because I don't have children/no one would mourn me/I haven't passed "my legacy" onto anyone, but I don't want to be 60 and using my retirement funds to pay for chemo and radiation.

I want to live!

People have been dying of cancer for tens of thousands of years, at least. The ancient Egyptian Empire and the Ancient Greeks both wrote about them. Hippocrates actually named it 3000 years ago.

It's got nothing to do with the food, as they certainly didn't have "all that fake stuff" (whatever that even means) back then.
  • atcross
    atcross Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I "eat clean" because I feel much better when I keep my processed food consumption to a minimum. I do not take it to an extreme, nor do I conform to any particular pop diet (paleo, etc.) I think the fact that my ex-hippie mom raised me on a very natural, healthy and nutritious diet helps, too. I find that I get sick a lot less often than my peers; I get about one head cold a year, I never get the flu (nor do I bother getting vaccinated), and I rarely have any digestive complaints. My future sister-in-law is quite thin but eats mostly junk food and very few fruits and vegetables. She always looks fatigued and she's always sick. I'd say clean eating works, and any move in that direction will improve your health and sense of well-being. That said, you can eat still get fat eating too much health, nutritious food!
  • iplibrarian
    iplibrarian Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip on the book, Twinkie Deconstructed. Can't wait to read it! I try to eat as close to my version of clean as possible. Heading into "later" life, I want to be as healthy and active as possible. In my younger years, it was all about being thin. Not anymore. Even if it is only my perception, I simply feel better mentally, emotionally and physically when I eat less processed food. As far as other people's opinion of my eating style - I could care less. btw, that goes both ways. I don't pay attention to what other people eat - that is completely their business.
  • bcattoes
    Options

I want to live!

People have been dying of cancer for tens of thousands of years, at least. The ancient Egyptian Empire and the Ancient Greeks both wrote about them. Hippocrates actually named it 3000 years ago.

It's got nothing to do with the food, as they certainly didn't have "all that fake stuff" (whatever that even means) back then.

While certainly food is not the only cause of cancer, but you can't really say with any certainty that food has nothing to do with it.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Considering cancer rates have decreased over the last 50 years, I'd say there isn't much to it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Looks like Jonny is getting another roommate.
    tumblr_mu46yxSJrn1sj3oxho1_500.gif
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    (there is none of this bashing going on there, I promise you!)

*sigh*

#ragequit

/tableflip
  • saffron981
    saffron981 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "Clean eating" is such a curious phrase. What does it even mean? Why not say you have a "whole foods" diet, or a "mostly organic whole foods diet," or an "all my food is specially blessed by the Pope" diet? The whole "clean eating" thing gets even stranger when people start calling animal products "clean." Do some research into what terms like "organic," and "free range" actually mean when applied to animal foods. (Hint: not very much.)

Once upon a time, all of our food was being labeled "low fat." Then, everything started coming out "low carb." Now everything is "organic" and "gluten free." Whatever makes you feel "clean" at the end of the day, I guess.