Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• Stage14
    Stage14 Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I eat SO MUCH CLEANER than I did two years ago. My boyfriend & I have known each other for four years now... but he's always making me feel bad for trying to be healthier. I don't feel bad as in I shouldn't be doing what I'm doing... but I feel bad from all of the negativity towards something I enjoy & need. He doesn't complain all too much that I don't eat meat & he does... but he just hasn't been supportive of me at all. I keep trying to talk to him about it, but he doesn't seem to want to listen.

I was trying to pick up dinner at our local food co-op... but every time I was telling him how happy I was that I tried so & so product, or that I needed to pick up this or this... he sighed & acted like he was really irritated with me. He knows that I have Lupus, yet he doesn't understand that it means I HAVE to treat my body better than he treats his. He doesn't have any real health issues, so he always thinks I'm faking it when I tell him I'm in pain or that I don't feel well.

He acts like a child & says things like "I don't like it" when he's never even tried it!! He's older than I am, yet is extremely ignorant & inconsiderate a lot of the time... it makes me feel really horrible. I want cleaner eating to be something we can enjoy together. When I don't eat clean he complains about what I'm eating, but when I do he STILL COMPLAINS!! Yet he eats pure trash & sometimes gets upset with me when I ask him to eat better because I want him around for a long time.

I hate when people bash on clean eating. It's just turning something that could be full of enjoyment into a tedious task. We're still going to eat the way we eat... so why make us miserable doing it? Just let us be happy. ): Negative people = stop.

Well, while I agree that he sounds like quite a douchecanoe for thinking you are faking Lupus, I will say that you aren't exactly winning girlfriend of the year by insisting that clean eating be something you "enjoy together" or trying to pressure him into changing his eating habits. You're probably making him just as miserable as he is making you on that end.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Its the people that insist that eating clean is the only way to lose weight and keep it off that cause the overall bashing. Same with vegans who look disgusted when someone orders a steak and go all animal activist on you. Those people ruined it for me.

Meh, the people who insist that no one can eat clean and trying to do so will absolutely lead to failure are just as annoying.

Any of the "I do this so you should too". Or "I can't do that and succeed, so you can't either". Those are the ones that annoy me.

Personally, the vegans for ethical reasons are most tolerable to me. At least they have a principal behind their rants. And I have a certain respect for that, no matter how much I might disagree with it.

I don't think that anyone would argue that a diet that includes "clean" (aka natural, whole) foods is likely to be healthier than one that does not. It's pretty impossible to get proper nutrition without some clean foods. Some nutrients are not the same in pill or additive form. And, while it is possible to be healthy without proper nutrition, it's unlikely that you'll remain so if you don't "clean up" your diet at some point.

But, I doubt anyone really believes that you have to eat 100% clean to be healthy either.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I just wish there was a different name for it. "Eat clean" and "Lift heavy" are just so ungrammatical. :tongue:
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Dude eat twinkies.....they help you lose weight.....said no one ever!!! Thought id drop my two cents;) Im out!

They can help you lose weight, if eating some Twinkies occasionally keeps you from binging on them when you finally give in to your desires.

By the way, look up "the twinkie diet." There was a guy who ate nothing but twinkies and some veggies and lost like 20+ lbs. All his health markers improved too.

While you're not wrong I'm always curious as to why a little every day vs a bunch once a week is preferable. When I see people say, "I eat ice cream every day!" and then I see they had 1/3 of a cup I wonder what satisfaction they really got from that. Great, a couple spoonfuls. My friend B.F. Deal is impressed. Why not just wait until Friday and throw down on a whole pint? Same difference as long as you look your calorie needs over a wider time frame. In the end it's a personal preference of course.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I just wish there was a different name for it. "Eat clean" and "Lift heavy" are just so ungrammatical. :tongue:

On this note I get annoyed when people say "pick up heavy things." Heavy things? So you went to the gym to lift refrigerators? Benched a microwave? You lifted weights. Let's not make the whole process more grand than it really is.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    While you're not wrong I'm always curious as to why a little every day vs a bunch once a week is preferable. When I see people say, "I eat ice cream every day!" and then I see they had 1/3 of a cup I wonder what satisfaction they really got from that. Great, a couple spoonfuls. My friend B.F. Deal is impressed. Why not just wait until Friday and throw down on a whole pint? Same difference as long as you look your calorie needs over a wider time frame. In the end it's a personal preference of course.

Either is fine, and maybe it makes sense to let people eat in a manner that pleases them instead of telling them "big f'in deal"?
  • kellenas
    kellenas Posts: 154
    Options
    Dude eat twinkies.....they help you lose weight.....said no one ever!!! Thought id drop my two cents;) Im out!

They can help you lose weight, if eating some Twinkies occasionally keeps you from binging on them when you finally give in to your desires.

By the way, look up "the twinkie diet." There was a guy who ate nothing but twinkies and some veggies and lost like 20+ lbs. All his health markers improved too.

For me, it's that the 1/3 cup satisfies the craving. If I throw down on a pint, I just feel gross afterwards. But that's just me.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    My friend B.F. Deal is impressed.

Quoted for making me lol!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Is this where I come to feel superior about my breakfast?

Its ok, I get it. Some of you just aren't smart enough to eat an organic banana. You're not dedicated enough to raise your own chickens for fresh eggs. You hate the environment so you drink milk. Just leave me to my black coffee and stevia, jeeze. After all, I never say anything bad about you!
  • jonnythan
    Options

On this note I get annoyed when people say "pick up heavy things." Heavy things? So you went to the gym to lift refrigerators? Benched a microwave? You lifted weights. Let's not make the whole process more grand than it really is.

People get their panties in a bunch of you say "weights" or "barbells" because there are ways to "lift heavy" that don't involve those things.

"Lift heavy" means to do resistance training that so significantly taxes your muscles you can't do large numbers of reps.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I get it all the time.. I eat mostly clean (cause it's nearly impossible to eat completely clean all the time) and I try to stay away from added sugar as much as possible, because of how it makes me feel. If you ask, i'm going to tell you what works for me. Take it or leave it. If you choose to eat another way, then it's your choice. I think my food tastes better and is more filling and I do fall off the trail occasionally, but I always get back on it. Not talking weight loss.. talking healthy living. I *do* think clean eating is the pathway to real health. Will 50 people now insist they eat big macs and are healthy. I'm sure it'll happen. Changes nothing. My made at home hamburger is healthier for you then a big mac 9 times out of 10. (well mine would be 10 out of 10, but some people can make some monster burgers at home!!!) I don't bash people for not eating clean, but if you're complaining that you feel crappy and you don't eat clean, I'm going to suggest you change your eating habits. Because it worked for me and then it starts.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Its ok, I get it. Some of you just aren't smart enough to eat an organic banana. You're not dedicated enough to raise your own chickens for fresh eggs. You hate the environment so you drink milk. Just leave me to my black coffee and stevia, jeeze. After all, I never say anything bad about you!

That's really good. It's almost difficult to tell it's satire.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options

People get their panties in a bunch of you say "weights" or "barbells" because there are ways to "lift heavy" that don't involve those things.

"Lift heavy" means to do resistance training that so significantly taxes your muscles you can't do large numbers of reps.

People just like to get their panties in a bunch in general. Half the time it doesn't matter what you say...
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    So I notice lately it's pretty trendy to bash those who eat clean (whatever that means to them) or paleo. I know there are arguments on both sides of the fence regarding whether or not a calorie is a calorie is a calorie, with the body of research suggesting it is but newer research suggesting the types of calories do matter. Now, let's talk about something that is NOT ABOUT WEIGHT LOSS!

For those who eat clean, do you do it strictly for weight loss?

For me, I eat clean because I've eaten at a deficit using processed foods and have eaten at a deficit eating more whole foods and I simply feel more energetic, get sick less often, and have less gastrointestinal problems when I eat cleaner. The issue is not about weight loss for me, it's about overall well-being.

Has anyone ever tried both and noticed no difference in how they feel? I'm just curious. I'm open to the possibility that my experience is not yours. :flowerforyou:

I also like the concept of eating clean because I think it indirectly or directly leads to a lot of behavior that is good for the sustainability of our food systems. In my quest to eat cleaner, I have gotten into growing my own food and that has been great exercise, a good stress release, and a great way to get more connected with my food (which in turn has helped with my eating disorder recovery). Eating clean takes me to farmers' markets where I get to buy local food and support local families. In some cases, I really do know my farmer because I am my farmer or I see them every week. Eating clean has decreased the number of pesticides I am taking in as well as contributing to the food system. By supporting local food, I am decreasing emissions that come from transporting food all over the world. I'm not 100 percent perfect at this. I do eat strawberries in the winter. However, every little bit helps.

Eating clean has gotten me to try foods that I would have never tried, leading to a greater diversity in my diet. Eating clean has taken me away from fast food places that strive for identical food products all the time. In striving for identical food products, we limit genetic diversity in our food system, and heirloom seed varieties go by the way side due to the shelf life of their products when shipped or lack of uniformity in the products they produce. In seeking identical products, we encouraged genetic modifications; the effects of GMOs through generational mutations cannot be known for decades. Identical products produce very strange and controversial commercial meat raising and processing practices in large industrial farms, stockyards,and meat packing facilities. Don't get me wrong. I love meat. But, I prefer to know the source of my meat through hunting or via the rancher that raised it.. Luckily, I live somewhere where this is possible.

So, do I think eating clean is better behavior for me and for the planet? Yes. But are you ready for it? Maybe not.

I guess I'm just making a plea to stop bashing those who eat cleaner and consider the wide range of reasons we might choose to eat cleaner than we once did. I'm not some overly zealous environmentalist. I just want to know and understand the food that fuels me and where it comes from. I am willing to participate directly in that process and I don't think it's appropriate to disparage those want to put more effort into their own health and the health of society just because you're not at that point.

P.S. Yes, I know how we eat is just one component of our health.

People who "bash" eating clean (and yes, I'm probably one) don't bash clean eaters for eating fresh, wholesome food. Most of my food is that way too.

What we bash is the insistence that some foods, if they are not clean are therefore DIRTY and forbidden.

Eating a mainly whole food diet is great! I applaud anyone who can do that. But clean eaters also by definition bash foods that are perfectly OK in moderation in an otherwise balanced, healthy, nutritious etc etc diet.

And then we get people coming on here who say "can I lose weight if I only eat 99% clean?" or "Halp! I ate one Twinkie - will it ruin my diet?". "Clean eating" sets up unreasonable expectations; which leads to people "cheating"; which leads to them giving up. Which is why I prefer, and would recommend, a more flexible approach.

But if it works for you, then good.

Now, I'm going to read the rest of this thread...
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I maintained a healthy weight and ate super-paleo-clean for the entire calendar year 2012. I felt great.

I maintained a healthy weight and ate less than clean in 2013. I felt great.

My point? I don't really have one...except maybe being at a healthy weight is more relevant than what you eat. Regardless, eat what you want...just don't preach that your approach is somehow magical without some reasonable (ie, not a blog or article) support.

Yep, agree with this-I've experimented with vegan, vegetarian, 'clean', paleo, low carb, IF, whole foods, low sugar, potato hacks, egg and meat hacks etc etc etc. and for me it all comes down to I feel the best when I'm not carrying extra weight. Doesn't matter so much what I'm eating but that I keep myself firmly in my maintenance range. Doing this I have more energy, sleep better, can keep up with my kids, my varicose veins don't hurt etc.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

No, you seek praise and affirmation from others by implying you're one of the "smart kids" the less gifted of us make fun of.

Not at all, I was never one of those kids. It takes effort to "eat clean" and not just grabbing a box of Twinkies or ordering a #3 at the fast food drive through. I get it, there are people that may think that effort is wasted, just like some thought that spending extra time studying was a waste when there are other more entertaining things that a high school kid can be doing.

The kids that got the good grades were not necessarily smarter, just the ones that made studying a priority.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Avoiding saturated fat is another myth, as there are plenty of heart healthy saturated fats (butter and coconut oil for example.)

There are many nutrition experts and scientists (I would guess most) that would disagree that butter should be considered a healthy fat.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

No, you seek praise and affirmation from others by implying you're one of the "smart kids" the less gifted of us make fun of.

Not at all, I was never one of those kids. It takes effort to "eat clean" and not just grabbing a box of Twinkies or ordering a #3 at the fast food drive through. I get it, there are people that may think that effort is wasted, just like some thought that spending extra time studying was a waste when there are other more entertaining things that a high school kid can be doing.

The kids that got the good grades were not necessarily smarter, just the ones that made studying a priority.

What?

Just because I don't "eat clean" doesn't mean I don't put effort into my meals or grab a box of twinkles or fast food. The vast majority of food I make is from scratch because I enjoy cooking, I enjoy the prep. When I make lemon meringue pie, I make everything from scratch, including squeezing the lemons. I make my own pasta and sauce. It takes hours. Not exactly lazy.
    It's not about effort.

ETA - the arrogance of that post floors me.
  • jonnythan
    Options

And what are you making a priority that I'm not?
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I eat clean for health.

Also price by the way.