Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat clean because I've eaten at a deficit using processed foods and have eaten at a deficit eating more whole foods and I simply feel more energetic, get sick less often, and have less gastrointestinal problems when I eat cleaner. The issue is not about weight loss for me, it's about overall well-being.

Has anyone ever tried both and noticed no difference in how they feel? I'm just curious. I'm open to the possibility that my experience is not yours. :flowerforyou:

I kept the part most relevant to my experience and findings. I've been on both sides. In my younger days I ate anything and everything. Fast food, junk food, processed food, even some normal "healthy" food. While yes I was lean, could bench press a house and was in shape...my energy levels were low, my digestive system an utter disaster, and would badly want a nap every day after lunch. Fast forward many years and the shift to eating a predominantly "clean" diet comprised mostly of whole foods, with the occasional ice cream, or other sweet treat and my energy levels are high and constant, no crashing mid afternoon and my digestive system does not cause me any issues or discomfort at all. The change in my energy and the way I feel is all the proof I need to continue to eat the way I do.

This has been my experience as well...

Mine, as well. Science? Nope. Experience. Take it or leave it.

Like IIFYM's, "clean" eaters are not 100% each and everyday. I don't see anyone asking so how many days a week do you have to FYM's to qualify? We all have goals, hopefully goals that work for us and are sustainable. If I prefer eating less processed food (and I assume most people get that - food that has been less manipulated, than more manipulated) and that isn't a priority for you, so be it. I also prefer to eat a diet higher in protein than carbohydrates. That works for me. I also had rolos on pretzels for dessert on Sunday does that change anything? Not in my mind. I am not an absolutist.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For me, I eat clean because I've eaten at a deficit using processed foods and have eaten at a deficit eating more whole foods and I simply feel more energetic, get sick less often, and have less gastrointestinal problems when I eat cleaner. The issue is not about weight loss for me, it's about overall well-being.

Has anyone ever tried both and noticed no difference in how they feel? I'm just curious. I'm open to the possibility that my experience is not yours. :flowerforyou:

I kept the part most relevant to my experience and findings. I've been on both sides. In my younger days I ate anything and everything. Fast food, junk food, processed food, even some normal "healthy" food. While yes I was lean, could bench press a house and was in shape...my energy levels were low, my digestive system an utter disaster, and would badly want a nap every day after lunch. Fast forward many years and the shift to eating a predominantly "clean" diet comprised mostly of whole foods, with the occasional ice cream, or other sweet treat and my energy levels are high and constant, no crashing mid afternoon and my digestive system does not cause me any issues or discomfort at all. The change in my energy and the way I feel is all the proof I need to continue to eat the way I do.

This has been my experience as well...

Mine, as well. Science? Nope. Experience. Take it or leave it.

Like IIFYM's, "clean" eaters are not 100% each and everyday. I don't see anyone asking so how many days a week do you have to FYM's to qualify? We all have goals, hopefully goals that work for us and are sustainable. If I prefer eating less processed food (and I assume most people get that - food that has been less manipulated, than more manipulated) and that isn't a priority for you, so be it. I also prefer to eat a diet higher in protein than carbohydrates. That works for me. I also had rolos on pretzels for dessert on Sunday does that change anything? Not in my mind. I am not an absolutist.

You talk as if IIFYM and "clean" eating are competing strategies. They are not. They are fully compatible with each other.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    In to read later. popcorn2.gif
  • gmthisfeller
    gmthisfeller Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    So I notice lately it's pretty trendy to bash those who eat clean (whatever that means to them) or paleo.

Ah, some people have way too much time on their hands. :)
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Did we ever figure out how much money the clean eaters are going to save in obamacare money?

*edited because grammar isnt my strong suit
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So I notice lately it's pretty trendy to bash those who eat clean (whatever that means to them) or paleo.

Ah, some people have way too much time on their hands. :)

Which people?

I'd like to think that this is directed at people who are taking the time to post in this thread...

...of which you are one...

...because I happen to enjoy hypocrisy.
  • eileen0515
    eileen0515 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Who even cares! It's all about compliance to the caloric deficit. And whatever mind games one needs, to comply.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Did we ever figure out how much money the clean eaters where going to save in obamacare money?

Since most diet related diseases take many years to develop, and so many other factors such as lifestyle, family history, and chance probabilities would come into play, that would be a very difficult amount to figure.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Did we ever figure out how much money the clean eaters where going to save in obamacare money?

Since most diet related diseases take many years to develop, and so many other factors such as lifestyle, family history, and chance probabilities would come into play, that would be a very difficult amount to figure.

Implying that people who don't "eat clean" will develop diet-related diseases.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

I feel the same way, I call it IIFYM. I eat a diet of mostly whole foods making sure to hit my nutrient goals and then I MIGHT have a cupcake for dessert.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Duh.

Clean eating prevents diet-related diseases. Eating crap causes them. (Body composition/weight has zero to do with any of this. Period.) It's science. Hold on while I go grab some links to peer-reviewed research to support these assertions.

Hmmm. Well, anyhow, just trust me...because everyone knows/it's common sense that/my trainer says that clean eating is superior and that's good enough for me. Enjoy your inevitable and impending health demise.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    What?

Just because I don't "eat clean" doesn't mean I don't put effort into my meals or grab a box of twinkles or fast food. The vast majority of food I make is from scratch because I enjoy cooking, I enjoy the prep. When I make lemon meringue pie, I make everything from scratch, including squeezing the lemons. I make my own pasta and sauce. It takes hours. Not exactly lazy.
    It's not about effort.

ETA - the arrogance of that post floors me.

I'm not sure why you are associating home cooked meals with my comments, which only referenced junk food and fast food. It sounds like you are trying very hard to be offended.

Because you said
    Not at all, I was never one of those kids. It takes effort to "eat clean" and not just grabbing a box of Twinkies or ordering a #3 at the fast food drive through. I get it, there are people that may think that effort is wasted, just like some thought that spending extra time studying was a waste when there are other more entertaining things that a high school kid can be doing.

The kids that got the good grades were not necessarily smarter, just the ones that made studying a priority.

I don't eat "clean". Nor is any of the food I listed considered "clean", even what some people would call "junk". You said people who don't eat clean because of the effort. How does your statement not apply?
    My point was it's not about effort. I could "eat clean" just as easily but I choose not to.
  • bcattoes
    Options

How else would one save money on healthcare except to avoid disease? And how else would clean eating affect disease, other than diet related disease?
  • emilynw10
    Options
    I skipped pages 2-12 because I just don't care...

I don't have any idea what eating clean means, but I totally agree on your view of food.

I eat whole foods, organic when possible, local when possible, no beef or pork, yada yada. 100% of the time? No. But I would say at least 90%. It's not even for weight loss... it's because

1 - I don't want to eat all of the GRAS stuff the FDA allows in processed foods though no one has studied.
    2 - pesicides and GMOs scare me (even though Monsanto swears they're safe)
    3 - I care about the environmental and economic impact our (the US) food system has on the entire world
    4 - I disagree with the way most food animals are raised (living conditions, hormones, feed, etc).
    5 - My kid has food allergies and I have to know exactly what is in his food and how it's prepared

The result of my eating this way? I eat like a horse, exercise little, don't count calories, and don't gain weight. I also FEEL better.
  • jonnythan
    Options

How else would one save money on healthcare except to avoid disease? And how else would clean eating affect disease, other than diet related disease?

It looks like you're treating "clean eating leads to fewer diseases" as a postulate instead of a hypothesis.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    For me, it seems like a lot of people that vehemently advocate for extreme clean eating don't have a super great understanding for science. For example, I have a friend that's all about the primal lately. She also refuses to use a microwave because it uses RADIATION! Likewise, whatever fad thing that has lots of blogs written about its benefits has what amounts to magical properties for health. No one can seem to explain exactly how the magic works. It's just magic.

If we could explain it, it wouldn't be magic. It would be science. And we all know that science can be wrong. Therefore science is wrong. Always. But magic can never be proven to be wrong, because it's magic. Therefore magic is better than science. QED.
  • cfredz
    cfredz Posts: 292 Member
    Options

I don't have any idea what eating clean means, but I totally agree on your view of food.

I eat whole foods, organic when possible, local when possible, no beef or pork, yada yada. 100% of the time? No. But I would say at least 90%. It's not even for weight loss... it's because

1 - I don't want to eat all of the GRAS stuff the FDA allows in processed foods though no one has studied.
    3 - I care about the environmental and economic impact our (the US) food system has on the entire world
    4 - I disagree with the way most food animals are raised (living conditions, hormones, feed, etc).
    5 - My kid has food allergies and I have to know exactly what is in his food and how it's prepared

The result of my eating this way? I eat like a horse, exercise little, don't count calories, and don't gain weight. I also FEEL better.

i love this reply! but if you dont count calories, why are you on MFP?
  • Srarojas
    Srarojas Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I guess I don't really get the backlash at all. I eat mostly clean things (80/20) but it's a personal decision. I can't really get up in arms about what other people eat, as it has nothing to do with me or my own goals.

I love it that your profile picture goes with the sentiment of your post :)
  • bcattoes
    Options

It looks like you're treating "clean eating leads to fewer diseases" as a postulate instead of a hypothesis.

It "looks like" what you choose to see, and I can't control what you choose to infer from a simple post.

A poster asked if we had figured their healthcare savings from clean eating. I postulated nothing other than it would be hard to figure. The rest was all you.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

i love this reply! but if you dont count calories, why are you on MFP?
    I don't count either (now). I can't speak for the other poster, but for me it's for FITNESS. cheers.