Clean Eating Bashing?

Options

Replies

• bumblebreezy91
    bumblebreezy91 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Nobody's bashing clean eating. People are bashing people who put themselves on a pedestal for "eating clean" 365 days out of the year and think they have the right to tell people like me that they can't have a snack wrap at McDonald's a couple times every month. People will be on your butt the second you act superior about ANYTHING. Eliminating processed foods from your diet entirely does not make you a better person and most people know this, but there's always someone in every group ready to act like their way of eating makes them top-notch. Great, you can afford organic, fresh, unprocessed everything all of time. I can't. So what?

I won't tell you to start eating McDonald's a couple times a month and you don't tell me to stop. It's simple. I'm working on my weight and I have really cleaned up my diet, but it's not 100% clean and I'm sick of hearing that it's not enough from people who can live out of their own personal garden every day of the year and get everything else at these super-awesome health foods stores right down the street. I live in Wisconsin and I rent an apartment, so it's always cold, I don't own the land, and the best grocery store I have is Copps or Walmart.

What it boils down to is both sides (and everyone in between) saying "mind your own business" and everyone keeps yapping. Me included now, I guess. Oh well, just my two cents. I'll leave it at that.

(Edited to fix a grammatical error)
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I eat clean[er] because most of my "healthy/fit" family members came down with and/or have died from cancer, so I have a conspiracy theory that all the fake stuff they put in "food" gets stuck and is unable to be processed through our bodies, and that contributes to cancer.

maybe it's because I don't have children/no one would mourn me/I haven't passed "my legacy" onto anyone, but I don't want to be 60 and using my retirement funds to pay for chemo and radiation.

I want to live!

...so I eat real food as much as possible. :)

People have been dying of cancer for tens of thousands of years, at least. The ancient Egyptian Empire and the Ancient Greeks both wrote about them. Hippocrates actually named it 3000 years ago.

It's got nothing to do with the food, as they certainly didn't have "all that fake stuff" (whatever that even means) back then.

While certainly food is not the only cause of cancer, but you can't really say with any certainty that food has nothing to do with it.
    Can you say with certainty that oxygen levels in the atmosphere have nothing to do with it?

If not, you're asking for an awfully difficult level of proof.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Wow, just skimming through these posts, I see that even those who choose to 'eat clean' all have different definitions of what that entails.

To say you 'eat clean' is meaningless because of this. There is no ultimate definition of what is 'clean eating'.

No one knowingly ingests pesticides, parasites or those ever ethereal 'toxins'. No one.

/thread.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

No one knowingly ingests pesticides, parasites or those ever ethereal 'toxins'. No one.

I am a toxicologist who is very much a realist. I understand dose/response and hazard and exposure. I knowlingly ingest low doses of toxic chemicals regularly, purposefully and with knowledge of their hazards.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Did we ever figure out how much money the clean eaters where going to save in obamacare money?

Since most diet related diseases take many years to develop, and so many other factors such as lifestyle, family history, and chance probabilities would come into play, that would be a very difficult amount to figure.

Implying that people who don't "eat clean" will develop diet-related diseases.

How else would one save money on healthcare except to avoid disease? And how else would clean eating affect disease, other than diet related disease?

It looks like you're treating "clean eating leads to fewer diseases" as a postulate instead of a hypothesis.

It "looks like" what you choose to see, and I can't control what you choose to infer from a simple post.

A poster asked if we had figured their healthcare savings from clean eating. I postulated nothing other than it would be hard to figure. The rest was all you.

But you're assuming it would be something other than zero ;)

Reading minds now, are we?

If that's how you refer to reading...

Still you reading and you infering. I never said any of the things you suggest.

I inferred it because you implied it.

You assumed there is a difference in disease between clean and not clean. It is an implicit assumption to your whole post.

Nope, still just you projecting. That could, I suppose, be true of the poster who asked about the savings (I took her post as a sarcastic inference to a previous post, but that could just be me projecting). I only said that it would be hard to calculate, no reference to outcome was made or implied.

Dizzying...

Wow what a nice pattern of quadrilaterals! LOL
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

I am a toxicologist who is very much a realist. I understand dose/response and hazard and exposure. I knowlingly ingest low doses of toxic chemicals regularly, purposefully and with knowledge of their hazards.

Heheh. I am a biologist, so I get where you are coming from. I didn't want to freak anyone out by the fact that no matter how clean you think you are eating, that stuff is in there. What I should have said is 'knowingly ingests LARGE amounts of...'
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yeah - kind of have to agree. Lots of things are toxic at high doses and are just fine, or even beneficial, at lower doses. I knowingly eat those things. I also knowingly eat potentially dangerous bacteria (some of which produce toxins) and viruses.

Hey, I'm a microbiologist by training. I'm not going to subject my food to the procedures you'd need to guarantee I never eat any dangerous microbes.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Wow, just skimming through these posts, I see that even those who choose to 'eat clean' all have different definitions of what that entails.

To say you 'eat clean' is meaningless because of this. There is no ultimate definition of what is 'clean eating'.

/thread.
    Really? I think most of us do. Every day. Knowingly.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    this place definitely ain't named "MyScienceBasedFactsPal" either

Hahahaha TRUTH!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    No one bashes grilled chicken and broccoli.

TBH, that sounds flavourless and awful. Like hotel banquet food.

thats what i was thinking put some salt on it people

But that makes it processed!!!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I eat clean[er] because most of my "healthy/fit" family members came down with and/or have died from cancer, so I have a conspiracy theory that all the fake stuff they put in "food" gets stuck and is unable to be processed through our bodies, and that contributes to cancer.

maybe it's because I don't have children/no one would mourn me/I haven't passed "my legacy" onto anyone, but I don't want to be 60 and using my retirement funds to pay for chemo and radiation.

I want to live!

...so I eat real food as much as possible. :)
    People have been dying of cancer for tens of thousands of years, at least. The ancient Egyptian Empire and the Ancient Greeks both wrote about them. Hippocrates actually named it 3000 years ago.

It's got nothing to do with the food, as they certainly didn't have "all that fake stuff" (whatever that even means) back then.

Actually people have been adulterating food forever too.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Did we ever figure out how much money the clean eaters are going to save in obamacare money?

*edited because grammar isnt my strong suit

$0.00
  • beckizzle
    beckizzle Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I agree! This is myFITNESSpal, not myWEIGHTLOSSpal. Eating clean contributes to fitness in more ways than eating twinkies at a deficit does.

Why does eating twinkies mean you aren't fit?

If you can leave a twinky on a shelf for 10 years and still eat it... that isn't food, it's a chemical **** storm. Eating clean(er) has benefits to the body far beyond the waist line! Do your research mate and see the benefits!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I agree! This is myFITNESSpal, not myWEIGHTLOSSpal. Eating clean contributes to fitness in more ways than eating twinkies at a deficit does.

If you can leave a twinky on a shelf for 10 years and still eat it... that isn't food, it's a chemical **** storm. Eating clean(er) has benefits to the body far beyond the waist line! Do your research mate and see the benefits!

I've had some dried beans in a canning jar for quite some time. They still look fresh.
    thanks for the reminder.... I need to pull mine out and soak them tonight!:wink:
    LOL There is a whole book dedicated to that topic called Twinkie Deconstructed. Read it if you're so inclined.
    Twinkie, Deconstructed: My Journey to Discover How the Ingredients Found in Processed Foods Are Grown, Mined (Yes, Mined), and Manipulated into What America Eats Paperback
    by Steve Ettlinger (Author)
    grown processed food.. I can believe it lol

My body prefers less processed food, for myself it's like the difference between putting good fuel in it and the cheap stuff.

I don't understand the bashing at all, why should it matter what I eat? How does that effect another member (and no I'm not talking insurance, etc. here), I'm not vocal about it much, I simply know my body runs on better fuel. Am I 100% perfect, heck NO! But my goal is to eat a bit better everyday and to work toward eating healthier cleaner foods.

Everyone has a method... everyone has a choice...freedom it's a wonderful thing! :tongue:

OP...great topic:happy:

Oh... I see this thread took an ugly turn, not sure why I'm surprised.. but those that make healthy choices for themselves (whatever they believe that is for them) can continue to do so, arguments or not. All types of food for all types of ppl.
  • likitisplit
    Options

I've had some dried beans in a canning jar for quite some time. They still look fresh.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

You can try to eat a Twinkie after ten years... you'll break your teeth because it's stale, but you can try.
  • daybehavior
    daybehavior Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I see some people on here that survive exclusively on fast food and I really don't want to pay for your Obamacare for you.
    ONvgdLZ.gif

Winner
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

Research on Twinkies:
    http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/twinkies.asp
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Did we ever figure out how much money the clean eaters where going to save in obamacare money?

Since most diet related diseases take many years to develop, and so many other factors such as lifestyle, family history, and chance probabilities would come into play, that would be a very difficult amount to figure.

Implying that people who don't "eat clean" will develop diet-related diseases.

How else would one save money on healthcare except to avoid disease? And how else would clean eating affect disease, other than diet related disease?

It looks like you're treating "clean eating leads to fewer diseases" as a postulate instead of a hypothesis.

It "looks like" what you choose to see, and I can't control what you choose to infer from a simple post.

A poster asked if we had figured their healthcare savings from clean eating. I postulated nothing other than it would be hard to figure. The rest was all you.

But you're assuming it would be something other than zero ;)

Reading minds now, are we?

If that's how you refer to reading...

Still you reading and you infering. I never said any of the things you suggest.

I inferred it because you implied it.

You assumed there is a difference in disease between clean and not clean. It is an implicit assumption to your whole post.

Nope, still just you projecting. That could, I suppose, be true of the poster who asked about the savings (I took her post as a sarcastic inference to a previous post, but that could just be me projecting). I only said that it would be hard to calculate, no reference to outcome was made or implied.

Dizzying...

Wow what a nice pattern of quadrilaterals! LOL

they are pretty squares...I was referring to the OP who stated she didnt want to pay the Obamacare for the junk food eaters. It caused me to laugh, and so I wanted to know if anyone figured out the hard numbers yet. Have to be a few bean counters in the bunch.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

you mad scientist