Clean Eating Clarification

Options

Replies

• ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    People have different definitions for the term "clean eating", because much like most diet terms, there is no 'official' definition.

But generally it means eating natural foods. If it seems unnatural to you, then don't eat.

I'm not sure how Cool Whip would ever be considered natural or whole or clean. That seems to be stretching the idea beyond it's limits IMO.

It was always my understanding that "clean" meant minimally processed. That's virtually impossible for most of us that don't live on or near a farm, as the unpasteurized milk discussion highlights. By that definition, I think that the regular cheese would be "more clean" than the nonfat cheese as its less processed, but its not really "clean" because you aren't a cheese monger.

For myself, I just try to go for the least processed option that makes sense, so no hamburger helper for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    People have different definitions for the term "clean eating", because much like most diet terms, there is no 'official' definition.

But generally it means eating natural foods. If it seems unnatural to you, then don't eat.

I'm not sure how Cool Whip would ever be considered natural or whole or clean. That seems to be stretching the idea beyond it's limits IMO.

It was always my understanding that "clean" meant minimally processed. That's virtually impossible for most of us that don't live on or near a farm, as the unpasteurized milk discussion highlights. By that definition, I think that the regular cheese would be "more clean" than the nonfat cheese as its less processed, but its not really "clean" because you aren't a cheese monger.

For myself, I just try to go for the least processed option that makes sense, so no hamburger helper for me.

rubbish- you just have to cook for yourself.

or you make your own. ghee is not that hard to make. Milk clearly is a little more difficult... but really- the big issue when it comes to meat and dairy- the difference between "un processed" and "processed" is fairly negligible in the grand scheme of things.
  • ellew70
    ellew70 Posts: 222 Member
    Options

or you make your own. ghee is not that hard to make. Milk clearly is a little more difficult... but really- the big issue when it comes to meat and dairy- the difference between "un processed" and "processed" is fairly negligible in the grand scheme of things.

Of course I cook for myself. That's the whole idea. Maybe you missed my point - its impossible to be truly clean as in truly unprocessed, so use foods in the least process form in which you can get them practically and cook. I can practically get pasteurized milk and eggs... so I cook with them. If I can get fresh carrots, so I use those instead of canned or frozen. I can get brown rice instead of white. While this isn't completely clean from a purist's point of view, its "cleaner" and has worked for me.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Of course I cook for myself. That's the whole idea. Maybe you missed my point - its impossible to be truly clean as in truly unprocessed, so use foods in the least process form in which you can get them practically and cook. I can practically get pasteurized milk and eggs... so I cook with them. If I can get fresh carrots, so I use those instead of canned or frozen. I can get brown rice instead of white. While this isn't completely clean from a purist's point of view, its "cleaner" and has worked for me.

and I'm saying it's rubbish.

Frozen vegetables are often fresher and more "untainted" than any other ones- sans the ones you pull from your garden yourself.

The difference is almost completely negligible. I don't understand this polarizing "puritanical" view of food. The food I get from the freezer store is no more or less intrinsically better than something you get from the produce isle or something you get from a farmers market.

This is the issue with "clean eating" by calling something pure- you're implying the other types of food are "inpure" not like there aren't HEAVY connotations to that. cough cough cough
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    On milk...

It is unlawful to sell unpasteurized milk in the United States. Other countries do not always have such restrictions. This gives you slightly better access to "cleaner" milk, but increases your risk of disease. There are several localized dairies around the U.S. that will sell you low-pasteurized milk, that satisfies the legal requirement, but is grass fed, low carbon, Basically they get the milk up to the minimum required temperature and cool it as quick as they can. That's really the closest you can get to unpasteurized.

The whole-fat, vs. non-fat issue has little to do with "clean" eating. Skim milk is created by taking non-homogenized milk, letting it settle, and litterally "skimming" the fat from the top of the milk. I don't see how on earth that would make a difference in eating "clean".

Personally I'm not condoning eating clean or eating any other specific way. It's your own choice. I don't eat clean. I fugure everything we put into our bodies is a collection of chemicals, even carrots are essentially a container for beta-carotene and a bunch of other things. But that's just me. If you're cool with clean then go for it. If you don't lose weight on it then you were eating too much clean food. It shouldn't be considered a weight loss method.

illegal to sell, here in the UK, too

OP: on the cheese - personally, i stay away from 'reduced fat', 'fat free' anything but i'd say eat it, if it helps you hit your macros, but if you can fit the real stuff in even better.

i eat as naturally as i can but 'clean' eating seems like a huge hassle to me :/
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    On milk...

It is unlawful to sell unpasteurized milk in the United States. Other countries do not always have such restrictions. This gives you slightly better access to "cleaner" milk, but increases your risk of disease. There are several localized dairies around the U.S. that will sell you low-pasteurized milk, that satisfies the legal requirement, but is grass fed, low carbon, Basically they get the milk up to the minimum required temperature and cool it as quick as they can. That's really the closest you can get to unpasteurized.

The whole-fat, vs. non-fat issue has little to do with "clean" eating. Skim milk is created by taking non-homogenized milk, letting it settle, and litterally "skimming" the fat from the top of the milk. I don't see how on earth that would make a difference in eating "clean".

Personally I'm not condoning eating clean or eating any other specific way. It's your own choice. I don't eat clean. I fugure everything we put into our bodies is a collection of chemicals, even carrots are essentially a container for beta-carotene and a bunch of other things. But that's just me. If you're cool with clean then go for it. If you don't lose weight on it then you were eating too much clean food. It shouldn't be considered a weight loss method

There's actually quite a few U.S. dairy farms that get around the law by selling cow 'shares'. I can 'buy' part of a cow from a local farm and get raw milk and technically it's not against the law. Local news even did a spot on them a while back and the reporter drank raw milk on tv lol. The majority of their milk goes to Horizon organic so it's a reputable and clean facility. Raw milk is out there, you just have to do some looking for it.

Farms also get around it by selling unpasteurized milk 'not for human consumption'. Personally, I wouldn't touch the stuff unless it had just come out of the cow (and that sounds really nasty, so I probably wouldn't do it then, either :laugh: ). What I mean, is, fresh on the farm, yeah maybe. Take away to drink later? Hell, no. There's just too much potential for food poisoning. Listeria, E. coli, and Salmonella, oh my!

That potential exists for *any* food that is trucked to a grocery store. I refuse to be paranoid.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hello! A friend and I have decided to give Clean Eating (or maybe I should say "Fresh" Eating) a try for 30 days. I am on Day 5 and so far I think I have been doing pretty good. I have not eaten anything from a box or bag! Lots of fresh fruit and veggies and all my meat I have purchased at our local butcher. I am not eating all organic (please don't judge me on that. I still believe fresh is still a good option). My confusion is on diary. I thought I had to buy whole fat cheese since that's the most natural but a lot of sites on Clean Eating show nonfat diary or reduced fat dairy? So which should I be eating?? Also I saw another site that recommened eating strawberries with Cool Whip? I thought Cool Whip was processed? I also need guidance on bread. I know it needs to be Whole Wheat. Anything else I need to look for? Any tips on what to look for or stay away from would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

And now you know why "clean" eating is something that gets a lot of people scoffing at you....

Definition of "clean" means different things to different people......

You and your friend should have set ground rules for your 30 day challenge, and defined your premise for "clean"
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    On milk...

Personally I'm not condoning eating clean or eating any other specific way. It's your own choice. I don't eat clean. I fugure everything we put into our bodies is a collection of chemicals, even carrots are essentially a container for beta-carotene and a bunch of other things. But that's just me. If you're cool with clean then go for it. If you don't lose weight on it then you were eating too much clean food. It shouldn't be considered a weight loss method.

illegal to sell, here in the UK, too

OP: on the cheese - personally, i stay away from 'reduced fat', 'fat free' anything but i'd say eat it, if it helps you hit your macros, but if you can fit the real stuff in even better.

i eat as naturally as i can but 'clean' eating seems like a huge hassle to me :/

Actually it is legal (though restricted) in England, Wales and N. Ireland.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    LOL...I just try to keep it simple. I compare ingredients in things and if they have "hydrolyzed..." or "partially hydrogenated [oil]," etc., I choose something that doesn't OR I make my own...sometimes, I buy/eat it anyway. :tongue: I've yet to find out the mathematical equation to determine what 80/20 or 90/10 clean eating is and haven't found a common definition in any of it. I've even claimed to eat an 80/20 diet, even recently, and realized that I don't know that empirically, because I haven't calculated it. Then I go back to wondering what the equation is and what the definition of clean eating is and well, ...*facepalm*

So, if you figure it out, let me know. :wink:
  • CTONDO
    CTONDO Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is simply the practice of avoiding processed and refined foods and basing your diet on whole foods.

Here is a website explaining clean eating.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/eating-clean-for-dummies-cheat-sheet.html
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Eating clean is simply the practice of avoiding processed and refined foods and basing your diet on whole foods.

Here is a website explaining clean eating.

"Eat five or six small meals a day. By eating smaller meals throughout the day you can help rev up your metabolism and reduce the chance that you’ll eat some Funyuns rather than that whole grain cracker with nut butter and strawberries. You never get so hungry on this plan that you’ll feel deprived or feel the need to cheat."
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    The USA is probably not the best demographic for debating what is clean food, try another Country for better results.:wink:
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    The USA is probably not the best demographic for debating what is clean food, try another Country for better results.:wink:

Are you referring to foodborne illness? Or are we ignoring that when we talk about 'better'?
  • waltcote
    waltcote Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    :huh: HUH! and all this time I just thought it meant to wash your nasty hands before you eat dinner! Well who knew?! :yawn:
  • BachMa2000
    BachMa2000 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Personally I say no to lowfat cheeses because they are just not as satisfying as the full fat versions.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

"The Basic Principles of Eating Clean

Eating clean involves not only choosing the right foods to eat but also avoiding all of the junk foods and processed foods that are so readily available. The keys to good health and proper nutrition are in the following principles:

• Eat whole foods: Whole foods are foods that haven’t been tampered with, in the lab or the manufacturing plant. The foods you eat on this plan are straight from the farm: whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains, grass-fed and free-range meats, low fat dairy products, unsalted nuts, and seeds.

• Avoid processed foods: Processed foods are any food that has a label. A label means that more than one ingredient was used to make that food. You don’t have to eliminate all processed foods (like whole grain pasta or natural cheeses), but if you can’t pronounce an ingredient on a label, don’t put that food in your shopping basket.

• Eliminate refined sugar. Refined sugar provides nothing but calories. Other sweeteners can be used, but with all the good foods you add to your diet, refined sugar really has very little place in the eating clean plan.

• Eat five or six small meals a day. By eating smaller meals throughout the day you can help rev up your metabolism and reduce the chance that you’ll eat some Funyuns rather than that whole grain cracker with nut butter and strawberries. You never get so hungry on this plan that you’ll feel deprived or feel the need to cheat.

• Cook your own meals. Instead of buying meals in a box, cook meals from scratch. That’s not as hard as it sounds! Clean, whole foods need little preparation beyond chopping and sautéing to make satisfying, delicious meals your family will love.

• Combine protein with carbs. When you do snack or eat a meal, make sure that meal is balanced. For the most satisfaction from your diet, and so you’ll be less tempted to eat junk food, combine protein with carbs or carbs and fat. This simple act will fuel your body and quash hunger pangs."

Not sure why points #3 and #5 apply, but ok...

By this definition, including all five points, weighing them all the same, I'd say I eat a 40/60 clean diet, because I adhere to #4 and #5. :laugh:

"...if you can’t pronounce an ingredient on a label, don’t put that food in your shopping basket."

^^LOL! I've seen perfectly natural ingredients on labels that most people can't pronounce. Likewise, I CAN pronounce "hydrolyzed corn protein."
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

Eating clean involves not only choosing the right foods to eat but also avoiding all of the junk foods and processed foods that are so readily available. The keys to good health and proper nutrition are in the following principles:

• Eat whole foods: Whole foods are foods that haven’t been tampered with, in the lab or the manufacturing plant. The foods you eat on this plan are straight from the farm: whole fruits and vegetables, whole grains, grass-fed and free-range meats, low fat dairy products, unsalted nuts, and seeds.

• Avoid processed foods: Processed foods are any food that has a label. A label means that more than one ingredient was used to make that food. You don’t have to eliminate all processed foods (like whole grain pasta or natural cheeses), but if you can’t pronounce an ingredient on a label, don’t put that food in your shopping basket.

• Eliminate refined sugar. Refined sugar provides nothing but calories. Other sweeteners can be used, but with all the good foods you add to your diet, refined sugar really has very little place in the eating clean plan.

• Eat five or six small meals a day. By eating smaller meals throughout the day you can help rev up your metabolism and reduce the chance that you’ll eat some Funyuns rather than that whole grain cracker with nut butter and strawberries. You never get so hungry on this plan that you’ll feel deprived or feel the need to cheat.

• Cook your own meals. Instead of buying meals in a box, cook meals from scratch. That’s not as hard as it sounds! Clean, whole foods need little preparation beyond chopping and sautéing to make satisfying, delicious meals your family will love.

• Combine protein with carbs. When you do snack or eat a meal, make sure that meal is balanced. For the most satisfaction from your diet, and so you’ll be less tempted to eat junk food, combine protein with carbs or carbs and fat. This simple act will fuel your body and quash hunger pangs."

By this definition, including all five points, weighing them all the same, I'd say I eat a 40/60 clean diet, because I adhere to #4 and #5. :laugh:

"...if you can’t pronounce an ingredient on a label, don’t put that food in your shopping basket."

^^LOL! I've seen perfectly natural ingredients on labels that most people can't pronounce. Likewise, I CAN pronounce "hydrolyzed corn protein."
    Yeah, no. I don't really do #1. #2 is impossible and I have excellent pronunciation skills anyway so I guess I am exempt? As for #3, there's no chance I'm giving up sugar and zero reason to do so. #4 is total bunk and has nothing to do with it. #5 is not happening too often, but I will cook sometimes.:bigsmile: Finally #6, yes I will do that. So I guess I am a 16%ish clean eater.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Yeah, no. I don't really do #1. #2 is impossible and I have excellent pronunciation skills anyway so I guess I am exempt? As for #3, there's no chance I'm giving up sugar and zero reason to do so. #4 is total bunk and has nothing to do with it. #5 is not happening too often, but I will cook sometimes.:bigsmile: Finally #6, yes I will do that. So I guess I am a 16%ish clean eater.

:laugh:
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

:laugh:
    In all seriousness though. What is a Funyun? And is it more tempting and less clean than peanut butter and jam on crackers?