Milk vs. Almond Milk....should I switch?

Options
13»

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I love people who bump 10 month old threads with broscience.
  • eksero2k
    eksero2k Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I use the unsweeted almond milk with my shakes, as its pretty low cal. I think the normal almond milk tastes way better than regular milk though, so i'd choose that any day!
  • missADS1981
    missADS1981 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    personally i dont drink milk. there are many articles on this, but almond milk unsweetened and organic is my option always. i've had this discusssion a lot lately. Humans are the only species to drink milk after they are no longer babies. It's strange when you think of it.

“Dairy is nature’s perfect food–but only if you’re a calf.”

~ Dr. Mark Hyman

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/12/humans-shouldnt-drink-cow-milk/
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Old school thinking is stick with dairy; however, dairy has been surfacing as being detrimental to various issues in health. I am not trying to change anyone's mind but I avoid dairy as much as possible.

Aside from it being weird and un-natural, we are the only species that drinks another animals milk meant to nurture their babies,

Since it is loaded with toxins, if you are going to drink try to get hormone free milk. Today’s cows produce much, much more milk than they did in the past. This is due in great part to drugs, antibiotics, and artificial hormones. Many studies have shown connections between the hormones in dairy products and the formation of hormone-related cancers. By avoiding animal milk products, you have a better chance of avoiding breast, prostate, colon, and other cancers.

Dairy products have been found by researchers to be a leading cause of atherosclerosis, heart attacks and strokes.

There is more, but likely you will be fine no matter what you choose.
    Ugh, this is all false, including us being the only species that drinks another species' milk. Cow's milk is actually almost identical to human breast milk, as far as nutrients go., Cow's milk has a bit more protein, but the amino acid and fatty acid profiles are very similar. Also, would you care to tell us exactly what "toxins" cow's milk happens to be loaded with?

Also, if you're going to claim anything about studies, you need to produce the actual studies, anybody can say "A STUDY SAID THIS SO IT'S TRUE!" That doesn't mean the actual study is real.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    Humans are the only species to drink milk after they are no longer babies. It's strange when you think of it.

That's because humans are the only species with the capacity to domesticate other species that produce milk. Just because other animals can't do certain things doesn't mean that we shouldn't.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    personally i dont drink milk. there are many articles on this, but almond milk unsweetened and organic is my option always. i've had this discusssion a lot lately. Humans are the only species to drink milk after they are no longer babies. It's strange when you think of it.

“Dairy is nature’s perfect food–but only if you’re a calf.”

~ Dr. Mark Hyman

http://www.elephantjournal.com/2010/12/humans-shouldnt-drink-cow-milk/
    Humans are also the only species to drive cars and use the internet. It's strange when you think about it.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    My adult cat eats Fage Greek yogurt, and I'm the one who has to go to the store and buy it for him. What's up with adult mammals enslaving other species to get their dairy products for them? I bet that if wild animals had the same leverage, they'd drink milk and eat yogurt too.
  • Bitlin26
    Options
    Quote: Hilarious, but I'm sure you'll convert a few of the brain dead. Do you get a commission, just curious?

It's all 100% fact! I did my research! And no, I don't get a commission, I'm just a kid. :P
  • Bitlin26
    Options
    It's all 100% fact! I did my research! And no, I don't get a commission, I'm just a kid. :P
  • MaryEliz29
    Options
    Almond milk is yummy. I hate dairy milk so always had soya until I discovered almond
  • persistandendure
    Options
    Milk is void of any real nutrients, not to mention that the enzyme lactase has been removed during the pasteurization process. If you are not allergic to almond milk, it's a better choice. If you wish, you can also try coconut milk, all unsweetened of course. You won't even notice the difference in your cereal.
  • angelamangus1
    angelamangus1 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you want less fat and less cals than I say sure go for it. I only ever have it with my protein shakes so not sure about the taste of it by itself. I don't care much for milk so I use the Silk unsweetened almond milk.

Same thing here. I use unsweetened almond milk with my protein shakes. Sometimes I use with my coffee. I believe it comes down to personal choice.
  • FarTooJones
    Options
    I recently switched to almond after finding out about the longer shelf life. Im not a milk drinker so its just for smoothies and cereal and i love it. I did try and drink a glass of almond milk once and didnt care for it on its own.
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I keep both in my fridge, use milk in my coffee and cooking, and use almond milk on cereal and in protein smoothies in the blender. I'll also sub almond milk for milk when I want to save calories.
  • rhbabilon
    rhbabilon Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I have switched from cow's milk to soy and almond milk, but not for the nutritional aspects. I discovered that once I started losing weight, cow's milk gave me severe indigestion (which probably means that I am lactose uncomfortable or something like that) and soy and almond milks didn't. I still use regular milk in my cooking, though, because my family hasn't quite adjusted to the taste. All this is to say that I switched for personal reasons, and you should consider your own body and nutritional needs when making the decision to switch or not to switch.
  • Rebecca1552
    Options
    I love almond milk... it has a thicker texture. :smile:
  • SmilingAllie
    Options
    I personally think almond milk tastes really good! It has a lot less calories too. Almonds also have B vitamins that are also helpful in keeping your mood up, especially needed this time of year, when we can't go outside as often due to the cold.