One Night Stand - Liberating or shameful?

Options

Replies

• _Emma_Problema_
    _Emma_Problema_ Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    As to the question of safety and sex, I think it is hilarious that we become so very serious and induce this awe inspiring fear of the looming specter of STD's, but think nothing of jumping in our cars on an almost daily basis (for most adults). Motor vehicle accidents kill and seriously injure more people in a year than all of the STD's combined...

Car accidents in 20 years: 3 (not always the driver)
    Permanent injuries from MVA: 1

STD's in Lifetime: None

Also, most STD scare is stigma-based. Bacterial STI's (most of the ones people are familiar with) are easily treatable with antibiotics. Herpes, although painful, is manageable and people taking medication can really reduce their outbreaks. Even the worst case scenario, HIV, is manageable and many people who are HIV+ can live a long and fulfilling life.

The worst outcome for driving a car is NOT a long and fulfilling life. Interesting point. I think about that often when I see people freak out about going on a plane. People really don't have a good sense of risk.
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I always call the next day just to thank the woman who was drunk enough to sleep with me. :drinker:
  • HawtinPhoenix
    HawtinPhoenix Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Whether or not you're going to walk away feeling shameful or liberated is dependent on how you were raised, your personal convictions and morals, state of mind and what romantic experiences you have had.

I would personally feel ashamed of myself. But the next woman might have a totally different mindset.

So the answer for you is look within yourself to determine what value should be put on sexual relationships. This question won't be answered by me or anyone else on the forums.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I have never had one, but I could image feeling used afterwards, which is exactly what happens in one night stands...really no other reason for it.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options

Plan-B efficiency is surprisingly low, according to my doctor.

Plan B is up to 89 percent effective when taken within 72 hours. I think you should get a new doctor. A lot of anti-choice wackjobs try to scare people out of using emergency contraception. And honestly, the $40-$50 you might spend on it is a hell of a lot cheaper than the cost of an abortion or baby. Almost nothing is 100% effective, but if you don't want to be pregnant, there aren't any better options short of abortion.

THIS! I would question a doctor's agenda if they spouted such a claim....

He didn't try to scare me out of using it, simply warned me about the fact that he has seen quite a few ladies get pregnant although they have used the pill. Its efficiency is lowered by a multitude of factors, and a lot of ladies use it incorrectly. I believe there is a limit of times you can use it in a year too..

If other means of contraception fail, by all means, TAKE THE PILL.

Effectiveness gets lowered the longer people wait to take it. I think it gets down to the 80% range after waiting like 3 or 4 days. But honestly, that's still pretty decent odds. The key is really taking it as soon as possible. The idea that you aren't allowed to use it a certain number of times in a year is wrong. You just shouldn't use it as you're main form of birth control, although I don't know who would given the price. Efficacy is really only lowered by the time you wait and if you throw up after recently taking the pill, although I've heard it doesn't work quite as well in women who are severely overweight. But that might be a dosage issue.
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna agree with the neither shameful nor liberating camp on this one. They can be fun, they can be awful. Depends largely on the partner, setting, state of mind, etc. To many variables to make a blanket decision.

I will say, though, that I believe there is a moral component to sex, beyond consent, for many people. Not everyone has the same view, therefore you cannot say sex has nothing to do with morality. To some, sex is inextricably linked to religion/marriage. There would most definitely be a moral component to sex for them. To some, sex is a recreational activity, so it's less likely there would be a moral issue.

For me, I'm trying to figure out my changing views on it. I grew up believing that sex was only okay within a marriage. Then I decided it was okay within a loving relationship. Then, I realized how fun it can be and now see it as more recreational. That being said, I find it a different experience to have sex for fun and to have sex within a loving committed relationship. (that's not to say that sex within a relationship isn't fun, btw!) Neither is better or worse, just different. And equally rewarding!!!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    I'm an old fashioned girl so it wouldn't be something I would engage in.

I am not sure it is all that safe either - strangers and diseases etc.

Um, you do know that there's this neat invention called condoms, right? And this other neat thing called "STD testing" that many adults do?

A friend of mine got pregnant on a one night stand and that was with a condom so they aren't 100% safe.

Like I said it isn't something that I would engage in. I don't judge people that do as it isn't any of my business.

You're right. That's why people should use back-up protection (such as the pill, IUD, or ring) or use plan-B if there's a condom malfunction. Sex education, y'all!
    F**k that, I wear a hazmat suit.
  • _Emma_Problema_
    Options
    I'm gonna agree with the neither shameful nor liberating camp on this one. They can be fun, they can be awful. Depends largely on the partner, setting, state of mind, etc. To many variables to make a blanket decision.

I will say, though, that I believe there is a moral component to sex, beyond consent, for many people. Not everyone has the same view, therefore you cannot say sex has nothing to do with morality. To some, sex is inextricably linked to religion/marriage. There would most definitely be a moral component to sex for them. To some, sex is a recreational activity, so it's less likely there would be a moral issue.

For me, I'm trying to figure out my changing views on it. I grew up believing that sex was only okay within a marriage. Then I decided it was okay within a loving relationship. Then, I realized how fun it can be and now see it as more recreational. That being said, I find it a different experience to have sex for fun and to have sex within a loving committed relationship. (that's not to say that sex within a relationship isn't fun, btw!) Neither is better or worse, just different. And equally rewarding!!!

There is a moral component to sex?

NOPE

Morality- principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior

You tell me how sex between two consenting adults can be used to show a person's ability to determine right from wrong. Please enlighten me as to who is being hurt and how casual sex can be seen as unethical.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I personally found that the sex was not as good. \

MUCH better with someone you are comfortable with and who knows what you want.
  • _SantaClause_
    _SantaClause_ Posts: 215 Member
    Options

NOPE

Morality- principles concerning the distinction between right and wrong or good and bad behavior

You tell me how sex between two consenting adults can be used to show a person's ability to determine right from wrong. Please enlighten me as to who is being hurt and how casual sex can be seen as unethical.

You know, some people have a different opinion than yours, believe it or not.

Believe it or not, some people believe that sex before marriage, or sex without being in a relationship is wrong. That is the moral component to sex. I'm not sure the argument here?
  • Junken_Diraffe
    Junken_Diraffe Posts: 716 Member
    Options

NOPE

As I said, if one is religious and believes the link between sex and marriage, that person would likely think a one night stand has a lot to do with good/bad behavior and right/wrong.

You don't like me. You love to argue. It's cool. I get it. But you're not always the authority on all things sex-related. Others have valid opinions/ideas. It's not a right or wrong answer.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options

NOPE

Let's not castrate Junken_Diraff, now. They are correct in stating that some people take the view that there is a moral component to sexual activity. Some people do subscribe to stricter positions as to the morality of sexual activity.

Segue on morality. Interesting fact. Across the vast, vast majority of societies there is only one moral/ethical issue where they all agree. It does have to do with sexual behavior and it concerns incest. Incest as a moral/ethical question is almost universally held to be an immoral act. Not killing. Not stealing. Not lying. Not the hundreds of other ethical issues.
  • dcarr67
    dcarr67 Posts: 1,403
    Options
    Almost nothing is 100% effective, but if you don't want to be pregnant, there aren't any better options short of abortion.

Abstinence is 100%, just sayin. As far as abortion, I'm not opening that can of worms........
  • amirahdaboss
    amirahdaboss Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Liberating and very very fun ;)
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I always call the next day just to thank the woman who was drunk enough to sleep with me. :drinker:
    Dude, you and me both! :laugh:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    I personally found that the sex was not as good. \

MUCH better with someone you are comfortable with and who knows what you want.

i agree with this, for myself.

but, i do not think there is anything immoral about any number of consenting adults having one night stands. if it makes you happy, and you aren't hurting anyone, what right has anyone else to judge?
  • HawtinPhoenix
    HawtinPhoenix Posts: 43 Member
    Options

NOPE

As I said, if one is religious and believes the link between sex and marriage, that person would likely think a one night stand has a lot to do with good/bad behavior and right/wrong.

You don't like me. You love to argue. It's cool. I get it. But you're not always the authority on all things sex-related. Others have valid opinions/ideas. It's not a right or wrong answer.

Awesome response - twice! :drinker: :drinker:
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options

actually, this is very well said.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Shameful. You should all feel bad about your sloring ways.
  • fit_librarian
    fit_librarian Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Liberating. Just be safe!
This discussion has been closed.