I hate eating in the morning?

Options
13»

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    No, it's not bad. I usually don't break my evening fast until 12-1 pm and eat until 7-9 pm. My metabolism is in high gear, delaying my eating doesn't somehow make me want to eat more. If anything, I sometimes have a hard time getting all my 2100+ calories in within that time frame. Do what's right for your body. :flowerforyou:
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I've heard eat within 2 hours of waking up. Whether you wake up at 6 am or 6 pm. That's just what I've heard. If eating how you do now is working for you, stick with it. I don't always eat within that time limit, actually, I've hardly eaten proper at all lately. There is truth to it not really revving you metabolism, but it helps keep it stable. As does the 5 meals a day eat every 3-4 hours blah blah.
    But look, if three meals work for you, then go for it. Just like the breakfast thing :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Force yourself. Make it a habit! You'll be so happy you did.
    Why would forcing yourself to eat when you don't want to make you happy?

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I hate to say this, but it is a bad idea to wait till 2 or 3 to begin eating. You really need to have eaten most of your daily intake of calories by 2 to 3 p.m., as a matter of fact. If you consider it, it makes perfect sense. You're active all day long, and you've got the chance to burn calories all day long. You slow down in the evening, and that's when you should taper off the eating. Of course, once you're home, it's hard to resist temptation, so don't buy yummy things and store them at home.
    Math still applies here. If you ate all day long and tapered off in the evening (even if you were active all day) and the total calories were over maintenance, you would gain weight. It's still about total calories in a day.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    report from USDA

http://www.cnpp.usda.gov/Publications/NutritionInsights/Insight45.pdf

"The report indicated that not eating breakfast has been associated with excess body weight, especially among children and adolescents. Consuming breakfast also has been associated with weight loss and weight loss maintenance, as well as improved nutrient intake. "

lol--- but again, how long did it take to figure out that trans fats were bad for you? And in listening to talk radio, that is highly debatable and you cannot trust anything coming from the government or universitities.
    I just gotta say that people in IHOP and Denny's eating breakfast every morning don't seem to be losing weight. Let's face it, one can eat breakfast daily and be overweight. One can skip breakfast and be lean. Correlative studies are just that.......correlative.

IDEA Fitness member
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is my favourite meal, how interesting that people differ in preferences. I would probably be very cranky and sleepy if I skipped breakfast.
  • bregalad5
    bregalad5 Posts: 3,965 Member
    Options

When I eat early in the day I feel famished within an hour. This leads me to consume more calories throughout the day than if I waited until the afternoon to start eating. Should I still force myself to eat early in the day? :huh:
  • skiersteve12345
    skiersteve12345 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have one meal a day for the last 50 days and havent died yet so i think you will be fine lol
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I eat from noon or one until ten pm. I feel better and I have no problem keeping my weight off.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here will tell you it is fine. No, it isnt. Studies have proven that eating breakfast revs meatbolism turns the furnace on. Read the studies, breakfast eaters are thinner and have 33 percent less waist circumfrence. So, you will hear ""time does not matter, IIFYM. Do some research google breakfast eaters vs non breakfast eaters. That being said, if you dont want to, dont.

My favorite part was when you posted the studies.
  • laridaes
    Options
    Glad to see this thread and interesting comments. I have coffee and cream for breakfast and eat lunch at 1 during the weekdays, and find for me at least it is easier to do so then. Weekends, I have the time and leisure to eat a nice breakfast and usually do so around 9 or so. I doubt this hurts me either. :)
  • tinyzombie
    tinyzombie Posts: 128 Member
    Options

When I eat early in the day I feel famished within an hour. This leads me to consume more calories throughout the day than if I waited until the afternoon to start eating. Should I still force myself to eat early in the day? :huh:

This is precisely what happens to me when I force myself to eat early, too. When I wake up at 7 and eat at 8, I'm starving by 11, and again at 4, and then probably wanting a snack at bedtime... When I wake up at 7 and eat at noon, I'm hungry again at 6 or 7pm, and I'm good until bedtime. Plus, I'd much rather have a filling dinner than a huge breakfast and a salad for dinner, but that's just personal preference - too light of a dinner, and I wake up in the middle of the night with a growling stomach.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Some people need to eat in the morning and some people do not. All things being equal it really does not matter. Like you said, you are hitting your calories so I would not stress too much about it. You are fine...
  • CorlissaEats
    CorlissaEats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Depends on your body and your life.

I start to feel sick about an hour after I get up if I dont eat something. I stick with a fried egg and some nuts.
    If you are exercising right when you get up, then I think eating is important. Food is fuel. Your body can only run so long on an empty tank. If you are only sitting around, then waiting until 2 or 3 pm probably wont hurt you but it also depends on when you actually got up.

When I skip breakfast I have a harder time resisting the junk in the evenings so its part of my weightloss strategy.
  • erickt2
    erickt2 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The only time I feel the need to eat breakfast is when I have school. I ALWAYS leave class feeling hungry. Otherwise, I usually eat around noon or sometimes even later.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating in the mornings either and at my age I've been able to maintain my weight, so I guess it depends on the person.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Wow, A lot of passion on the topic. I really think it depends on age, activity level and habit. I like my coffee and fat free cream for breakfast and have 200-300 calories of something. Breakfast used to be my favorite meal till I figured out it was really that I enjoyed the food (biscuits, gravy, sausage, bacon, eggs, grits, hash browns, etc.) as entertainment.

I think it is important for growing children to eat breakfast before school and to have the right number of calories to feed their growth and keep them alert in school. As a grown up , I think it just depends on how your activity level vs sitting at desk vs a more active-based job is your work day. I think if your job is to raise children, eating meals with children at their meal time is important but eating the right foods is even more important.

I really believe that as we age we need to readjust our diets at least once a decade. And keep adding exercise.
  • uconnwinsnc
    uconnwinsnc Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    Everyone on here will tell you it is fine. No, it isnt. Studies have proven that eating breakfast revs meatbolism turns the furnace on. Read the studies, breakfast eaters are thinner and have 33 percent less waist circumfrence. So, you will hear ""time does not matter, IIFYM. Do some research google breakfast eaters vs non breakfast eaters. That being said, if you dont want to, dont.

For about 200,000 years, the human species did not consume 3 meals a day. We would eat when we had food, and eat all of it. We did not eat based on where the sun was in the sky. We did not eat based on how many hours since our last meal. We ate to survive. The amazing thing about us is our metabolism does not just shut down after 12 hours of not eating. If that were the case, you can rest assured that our ancestors would have died out while they were chasing down their next meal.

People need to break the habbit of eating at specific intervals of time. The human body needs fuel when it needs fuel, it doesn't care what time of day it is. Our metabolism will not shut down if we skip a meal or even multiple meals. It just doesn't work that way.

A cool little ancient history lesson. Before the invention of projectile weapons, humans used to hunt their prey in a way different from any other animal. We would target animals with fur (deer, caribou). We then waited for the hottest time of day when the animals were trying to cool off. Because we do not have fur, we can maintain our body temperature much easier in the heat than animals with fur. We would start chasing these animals for hours and hours non-stop until the animal fell over and died from heat exhaustion. Yup, our ancestors would run for 3-5 hours in high noon in the African sun nonstop to chase down one caribou to eat. Talk about a serious cardio workout. So lets be honest with ourselves here, if you skip breakfast and are more comfortable doing that, it really isn't that big of a deal.
  • laura0770
    laura0770 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    It perfectly fine to do. I do It every day with IF!
    This
  • splashtree2
    Options
    No it's ok depends on habits and if you like to workout with empty stomach!