Weird Thanksgiving Day Traditions

Options

Replies

• 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    Hey, Canadians are thankful, we're just thankful back on the second Monday of October!
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Whenever we don't go to my in-laws, I grill burgers and brats. Heck of a lot easier than cooking the turkey and all the fixings.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Hey, Canadians are thankful, we're just thankful back on the second Monday of October!

This! No dissing my Canadian peeps! :)

My family doesn't really have any traditions. Growing up we'd go to whichever relative wanted to host. Sometimes it was all the aunts, uncles, cousins, etc, some years it was just a few of us. Mostly we had the traditional turkey and fixins but some years we had stir-fry or lasagna. Since Hubs and I got together, we hosted a few times but mostly we do our own thing on T-day and then I head north for a couple days to visit my family while he works or hunts or whatever. Hubs and I are doing boiled dinner this year. :)
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    I figured I'd post a tradition instead of just being a debbie downer. We don't do it anymore because we moved away and excommunicated part of our family, BUT...

When I was a kid we used to take a big family camping trip. Both sets of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins would meet up at our favorite campground in TX (Glenrose). We would cook the entire meal out there. My cousins and I would build big dirt tracks for our hot wheels, hike and ride our bikes all over. It was awesome, but alas, things change, people move and have their own families, and you end up despising and kicking a third of your family out of the loop.

Now our tradition is a small, very delightful gathering at my parents' house. No turkey allowed. This year we are doing a southern fish fry which is another family tradition from back in the day.
  • mmedjjon
    mmedjjon Posts: 511
    Options
    airing of greivances
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    All of us, including cousins, aunts, uncles, etc. go ice skating and then to see a movie every Thanksgiving. I cannot remember how this tradition started.
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    Share them.

Well, unless you're Canadian because apparently you guys aren't thankful for anything.

Hey now, we're thankful before you are!

Nothing weird here! I do find the countless number of side dishes available in most US Thanksgiving meals a bit strange. We do a meal (turkey, veggies, potatoes), and dessert! No casseroles, yams, all that stuff..
  • KarmaKills
    KarmaKills Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Dealing with my crazy artist Mother on Thanksgiving ...somehow we all end up drunk and dancing to new age /yogi/ indian type music ...LOL it's pretty fun actually

LOL sounds fun
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    This isn't weird, but annoying for me. I used to be a hairdresser, and every big holiday someone in my family wants a haircut. So I start drinking really early so they'll change their minds!

That is so funny! My sister-in-law is a hairdresser and INSISTS that every one get their haircut at every holiday and birthday party.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options

Now our tradition is a small, very delightful gathering at my parents' house. No turkey allowed. This year we are doing a southern fish fry which is another family tradition from back in the day.

I'm kind of jealous! That sounds fun and involves food I prefer. The traditional Thanksgiving food is just "meh" to me, but my husband loves it and at least he is a fantastic cook ;-)
  • aquarabbit
    aquarabbit Posts: 1,622 Member
    Options
    I wear my Lion's gear the whole day. So does my family. Even when they lose (which is usually). I can't remember not doing this.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Pheasant hunting in the morning, home by 10 am, shot or 5 of whiskey, nap, eat at 2:00, nap, eat leftovers at 6:00, nap, pie and desserts at 11:00...bed.....
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    Pheasant hunting in the morning, home by 10 am, shot or 5 of whiskey, nap, eat at 2:00, nap, eat leftovers at 6:00, nap, pie and desserts at 11:00...bed.....

That is weird. No football?
  • dizzow
    dizzow Posts: 65
    Options
    I suppose what is "weird" to one, may be normal to others and we don't do anything that seems too weird. Growing up, it was at my grandparents house, and in the afternoon, weather permitting, we would go for a walk out in the country, or around town (very small town) or even a bike ride. On cold wintery ones, we played games - mostly card games- the rest of the day. For many years they had a dog that would sit in a chair at the card table as if he were human. Back legs out, front paws on the table. Best dog ever.
    Now that those days are gone, there have been years that we went for bike rides, walks, and one year we went to the park and rolled down the hill - uber, dizzying fun . We still play games in the evening. Since I'm the one that slaves away in the kitchen I have forgone the walks and rested in my chair with my feet up. Since I'm feeling better this year, and sharing the cooking load, I may actually get in on a walk too.
    Food is generally traditional, and then we do non traditional for Christmas.(prime rib or steaks), I was informed yesterday that I will be making Jambalaya for Christmas. We'll see.
    Happy Thanksgiving! To our Canadian neighbors I say, "Happy Nov. 28th!"
  • 50racinggirl
    50racinggirl Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    We always watch National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on Thanksgiving day. That is such a great movie. We :laugh: and :laugh: !
  • MuscleAndMascara
    MuscleAndMascara Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    A Novemeber deer tag.

If not, then family gatherings and we all have to say what we are thankful for before we eat.
  • spirytwynd
    spirytwynd Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    This was a tradition growing up, though it hasn't occured in a few decades because all the kids in my family have grown up and spread out across the country. When we were growing up, about half the families on my block would gather for Thanksgiving and have a huge block party meal. Everyone would bring food. Then, after the meal, all the kids would gather on the back driveway of one of the houses where there was a basketball hoop. It would begin with a game or two of horse and then move into our annual, half court, full contact game of basketball. Ah, good memories!