You reared your ugly face

Options

Replies

• Sarie_Bronish
    Sarie_Bronish Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    So basically, eating more calories didn't work. Hmmm. Gosh, I wonder what it is then? :huh:

I plateaued when I was eating 1600 calories per day. So - eating less didnt work either. thanks for the condescending attitude though ;)
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Aside from what has been mentioned, (weighing and measuring your food and possible burn overestimations) there is this thread that discusses false plateaus where weight is actually trending downwards. http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1098806-newbie-loss-plateaus-and-weight-loss-math-with-graphs
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your BMR is 1710? That seems extremely high to me. Is it possible that 1710 is your TDEE (total daily energy expedenture)? In that case, eating at or above your TDEE will cause you to plateau or gain weight respectively.

Given that you also plateaued at the lower calorie intake it seems something may be off with either the estimation of you burns or your logging. Are you weighing and measuring everything? I noticed when I took a peek at your diary that you tend to eat calorie dense foods such as juice and peanut butter. Eyeballing those, at least for me, can cause my calorie intake to be higher than expected by up to a couple hundred calories. When your deficit is smaller there is less room for margin of error. That being said, also take measurements as it is possible there is a change in those that you are not seeing on the scale.
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Options
    I should add - I always round my calories burned DOWN by about 50-100, from what the HRM says so as to NOT overestimate burn. I work a LOT harder than you think.

Also - I measure everything that goes into my body with a food scale.

I do cardio 6 days a week, and circuit training 4 days a week (meaning 4 days of cardio +circuits, and 2 days of just cardio and 1 day rest.)

When I plateaued, I was only eating 1400-1600 calories a day, still burning around 300-400, leaving my net calories between 1000-1200. I dont think I can cut it lower than that. The only advice I got was to stop eating so low and to feed my body. So I upped my calories
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    you are either not estimating calories correctly or you are overestimating your burns...

^ This
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Options
    Are you sure your BMR is 1710? That seems extremely high to me. Is it possible that 1710 is your TDEE (total daily energy expedenture)? In that case, eating at or above your TDEE will cause you to plateau or gain weight respectively.

Given that you also plateaued at the lower calorie intake it seems something may be off with either the estimation of you burns or your logging. Are you weighing and measuring everything? I noticed when I took a peek at your diary that you tend to eat calorie dense foods such as juice and peanut butter. Eyeballing those, at least for me, can cause my calorie intake to be higher than expected by up to a couple hundred calories. When your deficit is smaller there is less room for margin of error. That being said, also take measurements as it is possible there is a change in those that you are not seeing on the scale.

My TDEE is about 2380. I measure everything out exactly in grams before I log it so that I know the estimation is correct. Juice? are you talking about the veggie crap that the trainer suggested I drink? lol I dont drink fruit juice. I know better, but the veggie juice is because I cant stand the texture of vegetables to eat them. I know it is high in sodium , but that should only affect my water weight, not my body fat percentage, right?
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Options
    you are either not estimating calories correctly or you are overestimating your burns...

^ This

Then I dont understand what to do. I have a HRM to estimate my burns, and I log them LOWER than what it says to prevent that. I weigh everything I eat. If that is not the correct approach, what am I supposed to be doing?
  • Daniloveshockey94
    Daniloveshockey94 Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Try this group! Sara and SideSteel moderate this group!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/10067-eat-train-progress-
  • BeachIron
    Options

^ This

Then I dont understand what to do. I have a HRM to estimate my burns, and I log them LOWER than what it says to prevent that. I weigh everything I eat. If that is not the correct approach, what am I supposed to be doing?

Are you weighing all of your food? The sad reality is that we are all horrible at estimating portions. Weigh 55 -56 grams of cereal, sometime and you will be shocked to see what a real portion looks like.

Also, HRMs are not that accurate. Cut them all by half.
  • TheSlorax
    Options

My TDEE is about 2380. I measure everything out exactly in grams before I log it so that I know the estimation is correct. Juice? are you talking about the veggie crap that the trainer suggested I drink? lol I dont drink fruit juice. I know better, but the veggie juice is because I cant stand the texture of vegetables to eat them. I know it is high in sodium , but that should only affect my water weight, not my body fat percentage, right?

Ok, got it. I meant the V8 juice, but it sounds like you are accurate with your logging. It's not so much calorie dense as it is easy to misjudge intake. Has it been a full month since you upped your calories?

Eta: and yes, sodium may affect water retention but has nothing to do with body fat. I don't even track sodium on my diary as I do not have health concerns that require me to do so.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I should add - I always round my calories burned DOWN by about 50-100, from what the HRM says so as to NOT overestimate burn. I work a LOT harder than you think.

Also - I measure everything that goes into my body with a food scale.

I do cardio 6 days a week, and circuit training 4 days a week (meaning 4 days of cardio +circuits, and 2 days of just cardio and 1 day rest.)

When I plateaued, I was only eating 1400-1600 calories a day, still burning around 300-400, leaving my net calories between 1000-1200. I dont think I can cut it lower than that. The only advice I got was to stop eating so low and to feed my body. So I upped my calories

To the chick that made a rude comment - seriously, no one posts here wanting your attitude. If you are that miserable, thats your own issue. People post here for advice, help, and support. Nobody asked for your troll-butt to chime in.

Nobody is judging you here. We are all simply answering your questions based on the information you gave us.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    So basically, eating more calories didn't work. Hmmm. Gosh, I wonder what it is then? :huh:

I plateaued when I was eating 1600 calories per day. So - eating less didnt work either. thanks for the condescending attitude though ;)

Oh, that one. Just ignore her rude comments. :smile:
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Options
    My sodium is only high the last week at the most, normally it is not above my MFP recommendation. Honestly - im so exhausted from all of the conflicting information I get on here that I literally lose sleep at night over it.

All I wanted was to lose a significant enough amount of weight to shock my husband when he gets back from being away with the military. Everyone offers advice that is conflicting... When I was eating less - they said to eat more... When I eat more, they say to eat less. I have tried damn near everything that has been suggested this last month and im still the same weight, and my BF% isnt moving. I Started lifting. I feel stronger physically, and I notice my stamina has gone up significantly since doing lifting and circuits, but I want that reflected in the mirror.

Im tired of looking in the mirror and seeing the same person I saw at the starting line...
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Options

^ This

Are you weighing all of your food? The sad reality is that we are all horrible at estimating portions. Weigh 55 -56 grams of cereal, sometime and you will be shocked to see what a real portion looks like.

Yes... I said in like 3 comments that my food scale is my lifeline. I weigh everything in grams. not ounces.
  • TheSlorax
    Options
    How recently did you start lifting? Are you taking your measurements?

Aside from that, I recommend the group linked a few posts above. I plateaued at a low calorie intake and used the information there and have seen a steady rate of loss since. They are very knowledgeable and you don't have the derp and conflicting information of the main forums to contend with.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options

^ This

Yes... I said in like 3 comments that my food scale is my lifeline. I weigh everything in grams. not ounces.
    I would go with what beachiron said then. Try eating only half of your exercise calories back. And joining the Eat, Train, Progress group was an excellent suggestion as well.
  • Sarie_Bronish
    Options
    I am looking over posts in that group right now. its hard to take in all of the info at once of course, but ill do what I can for sure. I am just such a number freak, weight loss is a science. Its a dang math equation honestly. Calories in, calories out. So when I have my numbers all lined up and the equation doesnt add up - I feel like I have lost control of my success. Im weird, I know. I dont know anyone else who obsesses over numbers so much, but I need that feeling of control, I always have.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    You said your TDEE was 2300something. So eat about 1800 calories a day, eat back about half of your exercise calories however you calculate it.

I noticed you mentioned when you look in the mirror you do not see changes - DO NOT go by the mirror! Please start taking progress pictures and measurements instead. I have lost over 50lbs and I still dont see much difference in the mirror, our brains need lots of time to catch up.
  • BeachIron
    Options
    OP, you may also want to skip MFP's NEAT calculator and go with a TDEE approach as there are fewer moving numbers to play with. This is one of those areas where you're going to have to be willing to play with the numbers until you find what works for you. All these calculators provide nothing more than estimates. And I absolutely agree with joining the ETA group.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    It IS math but the scale ruins it. Water isn't part of the equation but it does affect the scale. You said you just started lifting and you're seeing gains. Good! You're probably retaining water and it's masking your weight loss. I do so for months sometimes.

You've lost 35 lbs., you're doing something right. Wait this one out. If you're like me, you'll wake up one morning and be down 4 lbs.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html