Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0 (Dr. Robert Lustig)

Options

Replies

• The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    It's a no brainer that obesity does not CAUSE diabetes but is a symptom of the same disease. But posting here is a waste of your time and energy. It's totally lost on most people that what one eats affects health. If it's sold in the store it can't possibly be bad for us, because the government protects us and food manufacturers would never lie or work to make their food-like products as addictive as possible, because they aren't at all trying to sell as much as possible at all costs..... Ignorance is bliss.

Paranoia is bliss.

Actually wait, it's probably pretty tiring.

Its nasty and wasteful comments such as yours that she is speaking of.

You just don't get it. One day you will. Can't stand sheeple. Blindly follow the status quo because someone said it is true.

I was brought up and raised to question everything and I am better off in doing so.

Says the person following the Paleo diet, lollercoaster
    :laugh: Beat me to it.

And your assertion that "It's a no brainer that obesity does not CAUSE diabetes but is a symptom of the same disease." is not supported by science.
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Its in my best interest to stay away from it. I have to wear gloves to bake and decorate cakes for family members and friends as the powdered sugar absorbs into my hands and causes blood sugar highs that my Dr and I could not figure out where they were coming from.

ummmm... what?!

Uh yeah..what? Blood sugar high via baking osmosis?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    It's a no brainer that obesity does not CAUSE diabetes but is a symptom of the same disease. But posting here is a waste of your time and energy. It's totally lost on most people that what one eats affects health. If it's sold in the store it can't possibly be bad for us, because the government protects us and food manufacturers would never lie or work to make their food-like products as addictive as possible, because they aren't at all trying to sell as much as possible at all costs..... Ignorance is bliss.

Paranoia is bliss.

You just don't get it. One day you will. Can't stand sheeple. Blindly follow the status quo because someone said it is true.

I was brought up and raised to question everything and I am better off in doing so.

If I was blindly following the pack I'd probably be riding the anti sugar/anti carb train, not drinking coffee and having pie for breakfast.

But please, tell me all about how I'm the one following along like a sheep. Tell me how much you know about me and what I do. I like a little humor with my breakfast. Enlighten me with your paleo wisdom.

Calling the previous poster paranoid is pretty typical sheeple talk speaking up for the food manufacturers, FDA and other government agencies.

They don't care about YOU nor anyone else. They are out for the $$ only. I am disappointed that you don't see this and you know what I am referring to. If you don't.........you are even more clueless and lost than I think you are.

zach_weakest_link.jpg
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Squats and deadlifts.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Fat Chance: Fructose 2.0 (by Dr. Robert Lustig, the Kent Hovind of nutrition.)
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

If you've questioned sugar AND done your own research you would have found that Lustig uses SURVEY data (meaning just asking people instead of actually observing or testing in a controlled manner) spanning from 1989-1995 on children aged 2-17. The flaws in his data come from asking not observing, out of date and about children.

You have not heard me say one way or another whether I believe Lustig or not. I do believe he makes SOME valid points, even if he is not correct on everything he states.

No one is correct on everything they state.

I personally stay away from sugar because I am Diabetic, have PCOS and Metabolic Disorder along with recovering from a Pituitary tumor. So yeah, my body does not metabolize sugar well at all.

Now add in a diagnosis of Lupus and staying away from grains is a must.

Do I prefer to have to live this way. Hell No. But it is what it is. I see that our government agencies..........the ones that are supposed to protect us don't have our best interest at heart. They don't care what so ever.

Its in my best interest to stay away from it. I have to wear gloves to bake and decorate cakes for family members and friends as the powdered sugar absorbs into my hands and causes blood sugar highs that my Dr and I could not figure out where they were coming from.

I work with my Endocrinologist to adjust my eating and exercise plan as needed for my health and well being.

Is your endo the one that's a naturopath and believes in hocus pocus like homeopathy?
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

If I was blindly following the pack I'd probably be riding the anti sugar/anti carb train, not drinking coffee and having pie for breakfast.

But please, tell me all about how I'm the one following along like a sheep. Tell me how much you know about me and what I do. I like a little humor with my breakfast. Enlighten me with your paleo wisdom.

Calling the previous poster paranoid is pretty typical sheeple talk speaking up for the food manufacturers, FDA and other government agencies.

They don't care about YOU nor anyone else. They are out for the $$ only. I am disappointed that you don't see this and you know what I am referring to. If you don't.........you are even more clueless and lost than I think you are.

hat.jpg

I am no tin foil hat wearer. Just because I believe something different than you does not make me a conspiracy theorist.

The proof is in the pudding in what she speaks.

Write Kelloggs a letter and see if they care about you. They don't care about you, they care about your money.

And obviously you don't get the other part of what I said, which is really sad. You are blinder than I thought.

I don't think you get what her point was. The point is that nothing is 'evil'. No food or any product is 'evil'. The point is MODERATION. And all these types of threads do is push about the idea that one food is inherently evil when it just isn't true. Are you going to get sick and fat if you sit around eating a bag of sugar a day? YES! But that isn't sugar's fault -- that's YOUR fault. That's not Dixie Crystal's fault (sugar brand), that is your fault! No one is saying business is innocent but what SHE was saying is that vilifying a basic food is just dumb. Many issues make people fat and it isn't just sugar. It's overall food consumption and poor choices. I get that your case is special and that for you, sugar is a bad thing (as well as overall carb consumption), but for the VAST majority of people (especially on a WEIGHT LOSS AND FITNESS SITE) the goal is to get the excess weight off that is causing the VAST majority of people's issues. If people still need/want to eat some sugar to achieve their goals and they have no health issues that say no, then there is no problem! Better to eat it and lose that 50lbs. than to continue to stay overweight which can and does cause many many more issues.
  • SkinnyFatAlbert
    SkinnyFatAlbert Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    And so it begins.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Yes, those threads prompted me to post but this is a new video and if it's been talked about here it wasn't recently. I know the majority of people who post to these forums aren't interested in what Lustig has to say and aren't concerned about their sugar intake so don't see any reason to read or click on any links -- and that's fine -- but it's not the same information even if the conclusion is much the same.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

zach_weakest_link.jpg

tumblr_mgzse7fnGf1rssxrmo1_500.gif
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    It's a no brainer that obesity does not CAUSE diabetes but is a symptom of the same disease..
    :huh:
  • just_Jennie1
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

If you've questioned sugar AND done your own research you would have found that Lustig uses SURVEY data (meaning just asking people instead of actually observing or testing in a controlled manner) spanning from 1989-1995 on children aged 2-17. The flaws in his data come from asking not observing, out of date and about children.

You have not heard me say one way or another whether I believe Lustig or not. I do believe he makes SOME valid points, even if he is not correct on everything he states.

No one is correct on everything they state.

I personally stay away from sugar because I am Diabetic, have PCOS and Metabolic Disorder along with recovering from a Pituitary tumor. So yeah, my body does not metabolize sugar well at all.

Now add in a diagnosis of Lupus and staying away from grains is a must.

Do I prefer to have to live this way. Hell No. But it is what it is. I see that our government agencies..........the ones that are supposed to protect us don't have our best interest at heart. They don't care what so ever.

I work with my Endocrinologist to adjust my eating and exercise plan as needed for my health and well being.

Is your endo the one that's a naturopath and believes in hocus pocus like homeopathy?

Because it's better to just throw drugs at an illness and not pay attention to what's causing it and trying to treat that instead?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

ummmm... what?!

Is this like how you can't use lotion with the HGC diet because "fats"?
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    bubbles_zps2b6e0d92.gif

Just bookmarking so I can read this later.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    That's broscience.

Yeah, Broscience by a licensed Endocrinologist.

Y'all are really becoming sickening.

A licensed endocrinologist who makes his living selling books and lectures.

Dr. Oz is a cardiothoracic surgeon, you know.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Paranoia is bliss.

So is ignorance.....

Hmm.

If Ignorance Is Bliss
    And Ignorance is Tiring
    Does this mean that Bliss
    Is a State of being Tired?

That doesn't seem very
    Blissful
    At all

(I shall call this Bliss, slam poetry by Achrya)
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

ummmm... what?!
    Huh!? I'm going to assume you're trolling at this point.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Because it's better to just throw drugs at an illness and not pay attention to what's causing it and trying to treat that instead?

I'm assuming you just don't know what homeopathy is.
  • Kany
    Kany Posts: 336
    Options
    :smile: *bump*
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    August 15, 2013

Sugar Sourpusses Call Men Wimps

When sugar fear mongers found that fabricating a hopeless tale of addiction couldn’t scare you, they brought in the big guns – threatening a man’s virility. University of Utah professor Wayne Potts conducted an experiment where mice who drank the equivalent of three sugary sodas per day were found “less likely” to defend their territory and reproduce. These sucrose cops are taking aim at the egos of men everywhere: Today you drink a few sodas and tomorrow you cower as a sugar-free Fonz steals your girlfriend.

Mice in the study were fed sugar as 25 percent of their daily intake for 26 weeks. During the study, researchers monitored the mice’s metabolic health, only to find virtually no difference between the experimental and control groups. Through observational conjecture, Potts claimed sugar’s toxicity “even without metabolic evidence of harm.” The press releases and breathless reporting of the study suggest that sugar is a culprit, even though the research fails to answer a number of questions. The researchers don’t even know what a number of mice died from because they didn’t examine the bodies.

Threatening impotence and weakness is a typical scare tactic of foodies everywhere. PETA – habitual fear-mongers – loves to purport that meat consumption makes men impotent and feminine. And just like PETA’s bogus claims, this “latest study” on sugar is far from sufficient evidence to show that men can protect their libido by rejecting soda and fruit juice.

Irrespective of what the food police may say about your ability to reproduce and defend your property, the world still spins and population still grows – to about 7 billion actually. If sugar had such a profound impact on human life expectancy and progeny, wouldn’t people be dying in droves and not making more people? Indeed, in Western countries, where sugar consumption is typically higher, life expectancies are generally the highest in the world. People are now living over a century and the average life expectancy in the developed world hovers around 80 years old.

Questioning a man’s masculinity is a recycled tactic used by puppy-killing PETA and now freedom-hating food cops. While the likes of Kelly Brownell and Wayne Potts might be planning their next media project: “Sexiest Sugar-Free Females,” you can kick up your work boots and enjoy an ice cold soda.

October 16, 2013

Overhyped “Study” that Claims Americans are Hooked on Food Lacks Substance

Today the nonprofit Center for Consumer Freedom (CCF) criticized a new “study” from Connecticut College undergraduates that found rats have a similar neurological reaction to eating Oreos as they do taking cocaine or morphine.

Food addiction claims, while currently popular with public health zealots, are completely bunk. Cambridge University researchers recently re-issued a warning not to regard “food addiction” as the cause of obesity, noting they found “no conclusive evidence” of food withdrawal and little reason to equate food and narcotics. One pro-food-addiction researcher recently conceded that “nobody claims that food has [as] strong of an effect” as addictive drugs on the brain.

“The students are correct to note that when people or even rats eat foods they enjoy, their brains release dopamine and other neurotransmitters that make them feel good. But Oreos, music, vigorous exercise, and sex — all things that ‘light up our brain’ in a similar manner — aren’t drugs,” said J. Justin Wilson, CCF’s Senior Research Analyst. “You don’t see anyone holding up a convenience store to feed their deep addiction to Snickers bars.”

If claims that Americans are all sugar-addicted zombies held any weight, we would be seeing an unprecedented rise in sugar intake. However, the latest studies show this is far from the truth. A recent study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that Americans are eating 3.5 percent fewer calories from added sugar today than they were in 2000, and have cut their sugar intake by six teaspoons per day. Similarly, the number of calories from sugar-sweetened beverages has declined. Those are voluntary changes that ordinary people have made on their own without 12-step programs.

“Before we start sounding the alarms and pulling Oreos off the shelf, it’s best to note this ‘study’ is the unpublished abstract of not-yet-peer-reviewed research that has yet to even be presented for scrutiny,” continued Wilson. “Obesity is a complicated issue that won’t be solved by making those who are overweight out to be powerless victims, unable to kick the habit. Americans have always known the difference between a banana and a banana split.”
This discussion has been closed.