Misconceptions of Organic food(s)

Options
124»

Replies

• magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    So? What's your point exactly? That we should all gobble down regular GMO food sprayed with MORE pesticides?
    Very logic.

You didn't get the point did you?

It's not safer. It's not more nutritious.

Your proposed worse alternative doesn't exist because there isn't a difference.

How could there not be a difference? Whether one has or has not been proven more nutritious or safer, there is still a difference.

Fair enough. The cost of things marketed as "Organic" as significantly higher. Sometimes multiples of the other variety. That is a huge difference. There's also the increased ability to make "non-organic" food available to the masses, especially in third world countries.
  • nobleammonite
    nobleammonite Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I prefer local to organic, but like people have said, local often is organic. The one thing I will only buy organic is apples. In my grocery store at least, conventional apples are sprayed to within an inch of their lives with wax, while organic apples are not. That wax tastes/feels gross when I bite into it, and I just can't handle it anymore. Organic kale looks healthy while conventional kale is usually sad and drooping, and organic broccoli comes firm with a nice stem while conventional is cut off as close to the crown as possible and is often rubbery.

The wax on tomatoes and cucumbers is also getting to me lately, but I haven't investigated the organic versions yet to see if I can afford them and if they have less wax...
  • magerum
    Options
    So? What's your point exactly? That we should all gobble down regular GMO food sprayed with MORE pesticides?
    Very logic.

How could there not be a difference? Whether one has or has not been proven more nutritious or safer, there is still a difference.

Here you go...

http://rameznaam.com/2013/04/28/the-evidence-on-gmo-safety/

"A Scientific Consensus

All together, the scientific consensus around the safety of genetically modified foods is as strong as the scientific consensus around climate change. These foods have been studied more than any other, and everything tells us that they’re safe."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Very logic.

Here you go...

http://rameznaam.com/2013/04/28/the-evidence-on-gmo-safety/

"A Scientific Consensus

All together, the scientific consensus around the safety of genetically modified foods is as strong as the scientific consensus around climate change. These foods have been studied more than any other, and everything tells us that they’re safe."

That doesn't make them the same. Strawberries and apples are both considered safe, but that doesn't make them the same.

And that statement seems unusual to me. Since some GMO foods have been around for a long time and some are new, grouping them together and saying "GMO foods are safe" seems completely unscientific.

Neither does using the the reasoning that "They have repeatedly found genetically modified food safe, noting that after billions of meals served, “no adverse health effects attributed to genetic engineering have been documented in the human population.”" (from the link above) as any type of "proof". Billiions of meals may be served in few months or years. Many (if not most) food related diseases take years, often decades, to manifest.

I'm not arguing that GMO foods are or are not safe, but those statements certainly would not convince me.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Americans like to mess with food while the rest of the world like to tell them to piss off. :happy:
  • magpie_17
    magpie_17 Posts: 124
    Options
    OP, thanks for posting this information. I eat conventionally grown food, not organic.
  • connieleavens
    connieleavens Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    USDA Organic label doesn't guarantee safety or quality. Can get a fine nutritional mix from conventional foods.

However, conventional foods will have more pesticides, antibiotics, and growth hormones. At levels considered safe by the FDA.

The funny thing about these issues is the generally extreme levels of trust variance for the government, based on what people would prefer to do.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    To make a logical choice, we have to examine whether copper and sulfur are as damaging to human health as synthetic pesticides such organophosphates, and also look at how these substances persist in the environment. Not all pesticides are equally bad.

Side note: I would much rather eat GMOs than pesticides, including Bt GMOs.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    To make a logical choice, we have to examine whether copper and sulfur are as damaging to human health as synthetic pesticides such organophosphates, and also look at how these substances persist in the environment. Not all pesticides are equally bad.

It's also important to keep in mind that "organic" doesn't mean "uses everything possibly allowed by USDA definition". Very wide variety of approaches to organic farming. In some areas of the country, it's fairly easy to talk to farmers and find approaches that fit individual desires and concerns.
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Options

Do you understand that GMO's claim resistance to bugs and weeds, yet the annual use of herbicides used in these crops increased? Which means that not only are you getting a dose of "unknown health impact", you are also getting a healthy dose of glyosphate? and that is just the herbicides....

Excerpt From:http://www.enveurope.com/content/24/1/24

"It should also be noted that, in general, the systemic delivery of Bt Cry proteins poses more significant risks to animals and humans ingesting Bt crops than applications of Bt insecticides via liquid sprays. Systemic delivery also enhances a range of environmental and ecological risks [47] compared to foliar Bt use patterns that result in rapid breakdown of Bt Cry proteins as they are exposed to sunlight and rainfall."
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

Do you understand that GMO's claim resistance to bugs and weeds, yet the annual use of herbicides used in these crops increased? Which means that not only are you getting a dose of "unknown health impact", you are also getting a healthy dose of glyosphate? and that is just the herbicides....

Excerpt From:http://www.enveurope.com/content/24/1/24

"It should also be noted that, in general, the systemic delivery of Bt Cry proteins poses more significant risks to animals and humans ingesting Bt crops than applications of Bt insecticides via liquid sprays. Systemic delivery also enhances a range of environmental and ecological risks [47] compared to foliar Bt use patterns that result in rapid breakdown of Bt Cry proteins as they are exposed to sunlight and rainfall."

I understand that, and a lot more, but that isn't the topic of this thread. The verdict on glyphosate is not yet in. Glyphosate is used on conventional crops, not only on GMOs, so it is not uniquely a GMO issue. What is clear is that there is nothing inherent about all GMOs that makes all GMOs dangerous. Most importantly, it's a topic for another thread.
  • AmandaA9
    Options
    I happened to come across this thread while googling.

I'd just like to add that you cannot cite the FDA as a reliable, trustworthy source of information. Monsanto owns the FDA.
  • magerum
    Options
    I happened to come across this thread while googling.

I'd just like to add that you cannot cite the FDA as a reliable, trustworthy source of information. Monsanto owns the FDA.

So...I can't cite the FDA when it is their regulations, that they created, that we're talking about? Seems legit.
  • Mslmesq
    Mslmesq Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Very logic.

GMO & pesticides are mutually exclusive. My only point is that most people have this common misconception of what food labeled as "Organic" actually means and/or is.

That's impressive. How exactly did you get to know most people?
  • Jacobedward02
    Options
    When we pay for organic products, we are paying for the right to eat food that is free of antibiotics. Therefor, under USDA organic regulations, food products from animals treated with antiobiotics cannot be sold as organic.

Source: http://www.leanonlife.com/organic-foods-you-may-not-be-getting-what-youre-paying-for/
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    I'm shocked at the number of people that seem to think organic means homegrown or available at Farmer's Markets. I'm not sure if they even tie it to pesticides, or just think no one local would use pesticides.

My biggest beef is the pesticides that are systematically wiping out the honeybee population.

I'm alergic to bee's so... :wink:

Does the wink mean that you know your post totally misses the point, since there are crops that are dependent on bees for pollination? Enjoy the short-term food shortages and the long-term shift to a far more limited set of food choices after the bees disappear.
  • ChrisS30V
    ChrisS30V Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Meat and dairy causes cancer, fruits and veggies are laden with pesticides that are going to kill me 50 years from now, guess I'm going to have to stop eating anything. Heck, there's even pollutants in the air, time to stop breathing.