Nutella is the Devil

Options
I had nutella for the first time the other day. I bought it for a recipe I was making for Thanksgiving (Hazelnut Mocha Tarts) and HOLY *kitten*- that stuff is ridiculously yummy. However, upon label inspection, it is also ridiculously bad for you.

The reason I never tried it before is, I figured it was probably akin to Ovaltine- the commercials always touted it as a sort of 'healthy' hazelnut spread, similar to, say, peanut butter; as we all know, Ovaltine is disgusting and anyone who drinks it wouldn't know delicious if it bit them.

Now that I'm in the know, what baffles me is, I have friends who are health conscious and pride themselves on eating well and making good choices, not giving their kids things with 'red 40' etc... but are proud to give their children nutella for breakfast every day. With three times more fat than protein, lots of sugar and virtually no fiber, I personally don't think it's the best breakfast item out there.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    I think foods are what you make of them. No food is evil. If you like it, make it fit into your daily nutrient/calorie needs and move on. No need to dwell on trivial things. I love Nutella.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I think foods are what you make of them. No food is evil. If you like it, make it fit into your daily nutrient/calorie needs and move on. No need to dwell on trivial things. I love Nutella.

I'm being satirical, and purposefully (trying) to be provocative with the title. :) I'm of the IIFYM mindset, so whatever works for someone is cool with me. And I love nutella too, that stuff is too yum to not love. I just find it ironic and funny that people think it's 'healthy'...
  • mdit
    mdit Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Couldn't have said it better!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    Serious Sallies!!! I think you guys need some nutella!
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    You know there are going to be people who will run in here and start saying it IS the devil, right? :P Have fun with them!
  • Skeebee
    Skeebee Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    It Nutella is the devil, Biscoff Cookie Spread is TRUE hell!!! mmm....
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    You know there are going to be people who will run in here and start saying it IS the devil, right? :P Have fun with them!

Oh I'm sure! And I will! And I might ask them about doritos :devil:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    running_8eating3.png
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options

Woah- they make a spread???? I only knew of those delicious little cookies that are amazing with coffee...
  • Amcolecchi
    Amcolecchi Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I LOVE NUTELLA!!! It's been around in Europe forever and just reached the US not too long ago. But as kids we ate it every once in awhile. It's something my mom and dad would let us have on toast but not everyday, you know? But I don't believe in not eating certain "bad food." Portion and staying within my daily allowances is what I do :)
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    IT IS. IT IS.

I've never ever met anyone who doesn't like Nutella. It's probably worse than pizza. You can have a single teaspoon and feel the HEAVEN
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    running_8eating3.png

LOL! I want a like button for this.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Marketing!!!!
    Nutella, like many fabricated food stuff, is not bad in small occasional quantities. But, to increase usage, it is marketed as being healthy. I think that in California and in Canada the makers are no longer allowed to use the healthy advertising campaign??

You have done the right thing, taken the time to investigate and become informed. My experience is that everyone needs to figure life out on their own. So, let other people do as they will. Focus on eating as healthy as you can and continue to investigate, learn and adapt.
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Sadly Nutella is just something I can't have in the house. I will eat the entire jar mindlessly. And since my will power over it is tiny, I just avoid it.

I love Ferrero Roches because Nutella is the filling....

Also if you haven't tried it since you are new to the "Nutella Scene" it is fabulous when added to hot coco...
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    IT IS. IT IS.

I've never ever met anyone who doesn't like Nutella. It's probably worse than pizza. You can have a single teaspoon and feel the HEAVEN

Right? I'm amazed it took me 33 years to figure it out. Like I said, in my ignorance, I equated it to ovaltine. I used up the whole 13oz jar I bought for the recipe so I bought another one a couple days ago. I was very anxious to use it on a pb sandwich.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    Options
    Sadly Nutella is just something I can't have in the house. I will eat the entire jar mindlessly. And since my will power over it is tiny, I just avoid it.

I love Ferrero Roches because Nutella is the filling....

Also if you haven't tried it since you are new to the "Nutella Scene" it is fabulous when added to hot coco...

Oh damn, nutella hot cocoa... and I have that Pinnacle whipped vodka... I think I know what I'm drinking when we decorate the tree tonight!!!
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

I haven't allowed myself to taste that. One of my students has it in his lunch once in a while and I've smelled it. I just know if I buy it and taste it, there will be no coming back. My relationship with Nutella is tricky enough. I don't need a love triangle.
  • Oscarinmiami
    Oscarinmiami Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    They say peanut butter sandwich in the morning is better...Nutella is the devil
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Nutella tastes nasty. Yes, I said it. It. Tastes. Nasty. :laugh:
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    My son is a very picky eater. Nutella is one of the things he will eat, so while I don't give him half a jar, I have NO issues with giving him something close to 2-3 tbsp on a sandwich. It also works for bribery to get him to eat other foods :).

I of course, will lick the knife, because I have similar problems to you. If I lick the knife, then I can't scoop out more for me to eat :) I may cave and get a spoonfull from time to time, but I'd rather eat 2 cans of asparagus, or 6oz of grilled chicken than 1 tbsp of nutella.