What to eat when you are invited for dinner

Options

Replies

• jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    Eat what is offered, make up for it later in the week. Or plan for it if you know in advance you'll need the extra wiggle room. Our relationships with people are far too important to put them off because of a "diet". A day here and there will not really affect your long term goals if you're are usually on track.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    If it is a planned meal with friends I will do 1 of 2 things:

1. research where we are going to see if there are some alternative options that would fit into my meal plan
    2. eat before I go, and just have a little something while with my friends

Then there are times when I say, I need a "play" day and just eat whatever I feel like eating.

Best of luck.
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I have learned to eat at pretty much any given restaurant without completely screwing up my day. Before i got to this point, I would have ordered some 3 cheese nachos from qdobas and said the hell with the day. Now, i get a meat and veggie bowl that tastes amazing and i kill my macros. I eat your "crappy food" several times a week without a hitch.
  • kowajenn
    kowajenn Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I will always eat whatever is offered at someone's home and if we go out I choose the healthiest thing I can OR I just eat half a serving of something that isn't as good for me.

It's all about learning how to eat in the real world, because the real world isn't going to cater to our dietary desires and life's too short to eat carrots when everyone else is chowing down on burgers.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to learn other ways of handling this situation...

...besides the one I use which is to eat the food, (more or less of it depending on how good it is), logging it, and carrying on with my life.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever they have to offer. I know that that meal isn't going to do any damage when I don't do it everyday. I do intermittent fasting so I am usually always hit my macros and calories due to that.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have learned to eat at pretty much any given restaurant without completely screwing up my day. Before i got to this point, I would have ordered some 3 cheese nachos from qdobas and said the hell with the day. Now, i get a meat and veggie bowl that tastes amazing and i kill my macros. I eat your "crappy food" several times a week without a hitch.

That is how you do it. *kitten* ain't that serious.
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    I take a packed lunch box of raw vegan food and a bottle of kabbalah water with me. Then I tut everytime someone puts their dirty food and drink to their lips.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    1. Eat the food.
    2. Feel thankful that you even live in part of the world where refusing free food based on it's perceived quality is even a viable option.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd go. I'm sure most places have something you can eat. If not, I'd ask them if you can go somewhere else.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do a decent weights workout before, so you reap the benefits of fuelling your body?
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    can I have your friends? I'd really like to find some people to eat pizza and hot wings and drink beer with. I hear I'm a lot of fun so it might be a nice change for them. let me know if you can forward them my number. thanks girl! good luck on your journey! :wink:
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    So this is an issue I come across at least two times a week: eating with others. I get invited or go out for dinner or lunch and I just don't know how to say friendly: No thanks, I don't want to eat your crapy food. And by crapy I mean like french fries, burgers, pizza, ice cream, big three course dinners and so on, because that is what most of my friends like to eat. As it happens so often it really isn't an option to just forget about a healthy diet for once (once in a while a pizza is okay I think but then we're talking about once in a month or so). Are there any people experiencing the same problems? And what do you do? Does anyone have tips how to avoid making yourself a social outsider in terms of food and still stay with your own food choices?

Thanks a lot! :)
    No, I don't have this problem. I don't get invited out to lunch very often. :ohwell:

Eat it and fit it into your calorie goals. Or eat before you go and just have a drink with them. Or pick something that's acceptable to you from the menu. Or ask your friends if you could alternate going to their crappy choice of venue, and your acceptable one. Or, stay at home and eat on your own.
  • emmamaybear
    emmamaybear Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Wow, isn't MFP supposed to be a supportive and understanding community? What's up with all the people saying she's rude and just overall "not fun"? I know I won't be asking any questions anytime soon.
  • stumblinthrulife
    stumblinthrulife Posts: 2,558 Member
    Options
    Wow, isn't MFP supposed to be a supportive and understanding community? What's up with all the people saying she's rude and just overall "not fun"? I know I won't be asking any questions anytime soon.

Because a civil response to being invited for a meal is not to refer to the food on offer as 'crappy'.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Yes, because the OP is being *so* polite to her friends.
  • MaritzK
    MaritzK Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of shocked I have to say.. I judge bad food, I don't judge the people that make it. I would rather eat something than be impolite or rude but that doesn't work in long term so I was searching for some kind of balacing answer. Thanks to those who shared one of their own tips and to all others that were hatefull, I'm sorry in case my topic hurt you that wasn't my intention. Just looking for the same support and weightloss journey friends as you all do..
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of shocked I have to say.. I judge bad food, I don't judge the people that make it.

Sigh.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Whatever happened to just saying "no, thanks." ?
  • ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Food is a social event and there is nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with the food choices your friends make. You can either say 'no thanks' or go and make your own choices. There have been plenty of times where I've only ordered a side salad, or a small burger with no fries, or a chicken sandwich or some other half way decent choice that will be on the menu. There have also been other times where I've said I'll go, but I'm not eating there, and I just sit, enjoy the company and have a drink while they eat. Nothing wrong with that.