how many eggs are too much?

Options

Replies

• Vex3521
    Vex3521 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Usually 3 a day here too... yolk and all.
  • NGFive
    NGFive Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    one is never enough
  • pandabratt1
    pandabratt1 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Depends...Are you eating the full egg or just egg whites? I've found I eat 4-6 eggs a day, but I rarely eat/use the yoke because thats where all your cholesterol is from. I started using egg whites and I still get 5 grams of Protein per egg. Something to keep in mind.

This is me too. I started buying egg whites only for the pure protein. I usually cook 4 egg whites for breakfast, and sometimes to add a good amount of fat back I will only do 2 egg whites and 2 whole eggs. It just depends on how active I plan to be that day.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    I've been eating 2-4 eggs a day -- fried in butter no less -- for over a year now without issue. The yolk of the egg is packed with vitamins and minerals. Eat up.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/111/2
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've eaten 2 dozen a day for several months and my blood work came back fine. I also eat fairly healthy and am active. 29 year old female with a family history of high cholesterol (including two YOUNGER sisters who are inactive and obese).
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    there is endless information out there about how good eggs are for you. there are so many nutrients contained in the yolk. numerous studies have disproved that eating eggs will give you high cholesterol. here's a good article: http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html

You aren't eating too many eggs, and don't start throwing the yolks out. Whole eggs are very healthy, including the yolks, which contain many micronutrients., like carotenoids, vitamins A, E, K, etc. The cholesterol fiasco, based on non-science, political propaganda from the 60's, has since been disproven with hard science.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    By the way, if you can find them and afford them, try to get the free range pastured eggs, where chickens are out pecking away at the grass. Those eggs are so much healthier than the caged or quarantined kind, and you can see the difference in the color and taste of their incredible bright orange yolks.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    Glad I found this. I got into a disagreement with my mom today over this. I usually eat 5 eggs a day - just the whites. (I don`t like the yolks but I will occasionally eat a whole egg or two). She was concerned that I was eating too many.
  • paleojoe
    paleojoe Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Averaging 2 a day is probably ok.
  • Lld320
    Lld320 Posts: 81
    Options
    eggs are great for you. it depends what else you are eating over the course of the day.
  • Eli716
    Eli716 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hmm... I have two eggs in the morning, usually. Sometimes I'll even have two eggs and make deviled eggs with them. So approximately four is about my limit, but I don't see any harm if you chose to have it morning, noon, and night. If you feel a change that you don't like from it, cut back. Of course, I'm sure there's someone that eats/drinks eight to ten eggs raw somewhere.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Two or three dozen a day may be excessive, but eggs are healthy and good for you. Eat them, enjoy them. that's what they are for.
  • MuseofSong
    MuseofSong Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Eggs are good for you, but everyone's metabolism and the way their body deals with cholesterol is different. The only way to know is blood work.

Some people are fine with eggs every day and have no cholesterol problems, but for other people, eggs everyday can raise the LDL. When I was eating 1-2 eggs a day, my LDL was higher.

Now I use egg beaters (or whatever brand is fresh and has a decent price at the time) and whole eggs sometimes and my LDL is fine.

Granted eggs weren't the only factor that I changed to improve my blood work when my total cholesterol was like 232 or something and my doctor was saying time for statins! (which I refused), but to test the theory, after I got my cholesterol down, I went back to the hard boiled egg a day with breakfast thing and my LDL creeped back up again even with my total cholesterol under 200 and my HDL over 50. So, that's me. YMMV
  • ebgbjo
    ebgbjo Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I have at least 2 every day, but sometimes up to 4. Includes 2-4 strips of bacon and two slices of whole grain toast with Kerry Gold butter. My cholesterol came back recently being great with HDL very high and LDL low so I am keeping with my plan.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Eat plenty of eggs - for vitamins and minerals. Egg whites have protein and little else, which is why they are lo-cal.

Also, only eating the whites is a miserable, miserable way to live.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 dozen a week, so 2-4 a day isn't excessive in my opinion.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Rarely more than 10 in a day :).

Ok, usually no more than 5, but often will have 5 if I have some for breakfast and some later.

I'd only worry about the yokes if it's pushing your macros/calories out.
    By the way, if you can find them and afford them, try to get the free range pastured eggs, where chickens are out pecking away at the grass. Those eggs are so much healthier than the caged or quarantined kind, and you can see the difference in the color and taste of their incredible bright orange yolks.
    Why are they 'healthier'?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    In my guy's opinion 4 eggs is too much. In my opinion 5 is a little overboard.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    The thing I would be concerned about is developing an allergy to them by eating them every single day. Otherwise I think sugar and junk carbs are worse for your cholesterol and health than eggs. I love Alfresco's free range brown eggs!
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I eat 1 a day. 2-4 seems like a bit too much to me, mostly from a digestive standpoint. I feel like that many would give me horrendous gas.

There is SOOOOO much conflict information on eggs. I definitely do believe that you should eat the yolks though. Dr. Oz (of all people) finally made me realize why the yolks are important. To paraphrase, he basically said that all the nutrients are in the yolk, the yolk is what the developing fetus would use to grow into a chick. It's obviously nutrient packed!

I like the idea of 1-2 eggs with some added egg white for extra bulk and protein. That way you get the nutrients from the yolk, enough protein, and you aren't possibly going overboard on the cholesterol.