are there certain drinks/food to avoid to get a flat belly?

Options

Replies

• Slrajr
    Slrajr Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I make gluten loaf and eat it daily to keep my protein up while decreasing caloric intake. Result? Flat tummy!!:)
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Read this, for pity's sake:

This is not a blog.

I'm sorry but if you think this qualifies as a reliable source, you need some education in the difference between web sites created for the purposes of marketing products, and real, reliable, unbiased sources. I'm not saying that to be snarky, I'm 100% serious. That web site serves to provide information that will lead people to click on "shop" and buy stuff.
    No one claimed that a few people don't have celiac disease or an allergy to gluten. What we asked for was credible citations for the claim that to stop bloating, anyone can just eliminate gluten.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Shrug, ask a doctor, nutritionist, anyone who has ever done a gluten elimination diet. I don't eat gluten free. I love bread, beer, condiments, etc. But I did a gluten free diet for three months, and was amazed at how much better I felt physically. I don't have celiac, or an intolerance. I don't claim to be a doctor or researcher, but I've read up on it, and my primary care doctor is a naturopath who advocates it for many reasons. I find it nearly impossible to stick to though.

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies: http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/03/17/gluten-what-you-dont-know-might-kill-you/

I eat gluten and I don't bloat. I have a flat stomach because my body fat is low from a slight calorie deficit and heavy lifting.

If you find a diet nearly impossible to stick to you will fail long term.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Shrug, ask a doctor, nutritionist, anyone who has ever done a gluten elimination diet. I don't eat gluten free. I love bread, beer, condiments, etc. But I did a gluten free diet for three months, and was amazed at how much better I felt physically. I don't have celiac, or an intolerance. I don't claim to be a doctor or researcher, but I've read up on it, and my primary care doctor is a naturopath who advocates it for many reasons. I find it nearly impossible to stick to though.

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies: http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/03/17/gluten-what-you-dont-know-might-kill-you/

Did you look at the studies? He mentions a couple of real facts from them (that there needs to be increased screening for celiac) and the rest of his "facts" he pulls out of .....well, somewhere unpleasant. For instance, that an estimated 99% of people have undiagnosed wheat issues, which is a load of bull.

Again credible sources.

The sources listed at the bottom look credible to me.
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Yes, all foods that cause you to go over your daily intake.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I find it nearly impossible to stick to though.
  • FredDoyle
    Options

I just did a quick google, and this article came up, citing several studies:
    So, you're not a doctor or a researcher. You're just parroting what a naturopath has told you. Good to know.

And personal experience, as well a reading up on it, like I said.
    Look, I'm really not trying to pick on you, but if I said I did a lot of reading up on wizards and fairies would you accept that they exist? There is a lot to read about them out there. :smile:
  • NinjadURbacon
    NinjadURbacon Posts: 395 Member
    Options

A lot of the has to do with complex carbs and processed crap that is harder for the body to digest. There are almost always doctors are both sides of the argument when it comes to gluten. its the hot topic right now.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options

I caught that too. That's the best way to fail at something, follow an eating pattern that's nearly impossible to follow.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Did you look at the studies? He mentions a couple of real facts from them (that there needs to be increased screening for celiac) and the rest of his "facts" he pulls out of .....well, somewhere unpleasant. For instance, that an estimated 99% of people have undiagnosed wheat issues, which is a load of bull.

Again credible sources.

The sources listed at the bottom look credible to me.

Did you read my comment, even a little bit? Yes, he cites credible sources. He picks out a thing from them here and there, and then makes a bunch of stuff up or takes it from NOT credible sources. So, if I do the following citation:

Hyman, Mark. What you Don't Know Might Hurt You. February 15, 2013. Web. http://drhyman.com/blog/2011/03/17/gluten-what-you-dont-know-might-kill-you/

Does that mean that I just said what he said? Even though I said that he's an alarmist peddler of pseudoscience? I mean, I cited him, after all. Are you getting the difference?
  • cannibaldoll
    cannibaldoll Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    The carbonation from the soda could cause your stomach to feel a little bloated- until you burp. Excess salt can also cause more water retention. But drinking diet soda shouldn't cause excess weight gain. Although, some studies have said that the artificial sugar causes you to crave more sugar- but if its working for you then great!
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options

So, you're not a doctor or a researcher. You're just parroting what a naturopath has told you. Good to know.

Look, I'm really not trying to pick on you, but if I said I did a lot of reading up on wizards and fairies would you accept that they exist? There is a lot to read about them out there. :smile:
    As a registered fairyologist I take offense to your assertion!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

I caught that too. That's the best way to fail at something, follow an eating pattern that's nearly impossible to follow.

Gah. I answered the OP's question based on my experience and what I've looked in to. No, I don't follow a gluten free diet, because I like things that have gluten. But yes, I absolutely felt better, had less bloat, and a sleeker appearance when eating gluten free. Of course people can achieve great physical appearance while still eating gluten. But there are many doctors, nutritionists, researchers, etc. who suggest a gluten free diet to combat bloat, among other issues.

It certainly doesn't hurt if the OP wishes to try it.
  • FredDoyle
    Options

Gah. I answered the OP's question based on my experience and what I've looked in to. No, I don't follow a gluten free diet, because I like things that have gluten. But yes, I absolutely felt better, had less bloat, and a sleeker appearance when eating gluten free. Of course people can achieve great physical appearance while still eating gluten. But there are many doctors, nutritionists, researchers, etc. who suggest a gluten free diet to combat bloat, among other issues.

It certainly doesn't hurt if the OP wishes to try it.
    Sure. That's a better statement. try it and see if it helps. It's not scientific, but it's not making an unproven assertion which is why people jumped on your statement. Cheers. (and ask your naturopath to back up their claims with science) :wink:
  • Pr1c3rA
    Options
    I find that anytime someone is limiting a particular macronutrient, or in this case Gluten, there experience is weight loss, not because the Gluten causes weight gain, but simply because they are actually watching their diet.

Calories In/Calories Out is pretty much the gospel. Regardless of what you eat. Obviously, you should consume good nutritious foods and not 'empty calories'.

The one exception to this rule would be the ketogenic diets, because they cause a shift in your body's metabolism. This is probably the one exception.

I personally do a CKD and lift heavy and the results have been outstanding: 40 lbs. lost so far in about 3-4 months with visible results.

P.S. Unnatural sweeteners (pretty much everything except Stevia-based products) are typically bad for you and only lead to more cravings for sugar. And I've come to the conclusion that carbs are pretty much ****. If I didn't need them for my brain or liver, I wouldn't eat them, period.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options

As a registered fairyologist I take offense to your assertion!

Eeerm, the technical term is "Faeologist". I learned this from True Blood.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

A lot of the has to do with complex carbs and other processed crap that is harder for the body to digest. There are almost always doctors are both sides of the argument when it comes to gluten. its the hot topic right now.

Complex carbs =/= processed crap.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Maybe you should do more than a quick google and actually cite these studies then. Dr Hyman is not a credible source.

Also...your primary doctor is a naturopath....

Also, I have a flat stomach and abs...at 46 years old...and I eat gluten (a lot of it as I get a lot of my protein that way as I am a vegetarian) and ice cream and shiz.
  • jonmscharff
    jonmscharff Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    5 out of 4 doctors polled agree these comments are going nowhere. I think I'll go have a soda... ;)