Getting use to the cold after losing weight

Options

Replies

• twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Definitely colder now that I've lost the weight-one of the two downsides of being thin (the other is it hurts to sit on hard chairs/bleachers now, since I don't have extra padding on my bum anymore :laugh: ).
  • cathylopez1975
    cathylopez1975 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Fascinating to see this topic posted. I wondered why I was suddenly so cold! I didn't really need a coat until this year. Any activity would make me overheat and sweat like crazy. I'm freezing ALL THE TIME now, especially at school. I teach and find myself staying bundled up, including gloves, most of the day. And this is Texas. I'm not complaining, mind you. This is the first time in my life I have been able to wear sweaters and fleece without absolutely melting :smile:
  • JustMeee333
    Options
    Yep, same here too. I am sure I read somewhere at sometime, that it takes about 12-18 months for your body to readjust again, after you're at maintenance.
  • joecmoore1
    joecmoore1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    This is mostly a repeat of what everyone else has been saying. I was always the one who was hot and would walk around in shirt sleeves during cold weather and now I am constantly freezing! I wear a fleece as soon as I get dressed and have had to wear winter wear (insulated coveralls, boots, heavier coat, etc.) that I normally wouldn't have to get out until January. Of course we are experiencing a colder than normal winter so far and about 10 inches of snow here in Missouri. Which makes it worse!

We have cattle, so feeding and chopping ice for drinking water for the stock is even more of a chore. I dread venturing out in the morning. I wouldn't go back for anything though. I am down 75 lbs. with another 58 to go. I feel so much better, I can put up with being "chilly billy" LOL.
  • Sphyk1
    Sphyk1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    The heating pad is my friend :) I am just cold-blooded. We will see what happens when I lose thirty more pounds!!
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    I finished losing the weight in Dec. 2012, and I've struggled with feeling much colder ever since. My body hasn't adapted yet...not sure it's going to! The worst was going swimming and being cold even in a heated pool. When I got into the Jacuzzi, I just wished it was the pool instead. :P
  • jardin12
    jardin12 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    One word for you people....star jumps!! Six in a row - awesome warmup! Xx
  • colortheworld
    colortheworld Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Yes, same here. I feel cold after weight loss, too (insulation layer is lost). Look at the upside, though. When you are cold, your body is forced to generate more heat, and perhaps burn more calories? Just a thought.

This is actually true, at least I've read it several times. When you are cold your body has to work harder to keep itself the right temperature, which burns more calories. (Ever notice you are hungrier when it's cold?)
  • desiv2
    desiv2 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I still am a lot more cold. At work people smaller than me think I'm crazy for being so cold, but one women who lost weight is the same way. It's been a year now and I'm still very cold. I've taken to wearing thermal under garments, and lots of layers... usually or and then a scarf and coat too, don't forget two pairs of socks. Then I can be comfortable... a lot of this has to do with my work not being very well heated too though. :P
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    OMG! Its not just me. Now this is reassuring lol. Seriously I started wearing long sleeves when when it was still in the 50's. I am just always cold now that I've gotten skinny
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Are you sure you are eating enough? I used to be cold a lot, but since I upped my calories and activity I find that I'm burning up when I eat a good meal.
  • iDrix
    iDrix Posts: 21
    Options
    The hell with that, I ain't hiding my new body in space suits for warmth!
    Yeah I changed my wardrobe for this winter, everything is slim fitted and paper thin. Yeah I wear gloves and hats but they are paper thin. Yeah I wear a coat outside but it's slim fitted paper thin not crazy donuts rolls like the michelin mascot that I see in the most jackets. Also I'm not repeating in my head that I lost weight and now I have to hide from the cold.
    Yeah I get chills sometimes but I saw that my immunity system is way better than before for me and I don't get sick anymore. :D
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    gain some lean body mass. More muscle = central heating. (don't worry, it won't make you look "bulky" - but there are about a million threads on this forum about how gaining muscle doesn't make you bulky so I won't elaborate)

I bulked to gain 10lb, (I still fit in the same clothes as I did 10lb lighter, and most of what I gained is lean mass) and my ability to withstand the heat where I live (Bahrain) deteriorated a lot, because my body's generating more heat. In fact, I tolerated the heat here better when I was obese than I do now. So losing body fat does not necessarily result in feeling cold all the time. Gaining lean mass definitely makes you feel warmer though!! (I don't mind feeling hot all the time, I have air conditioning.)

Also, chronic undereating can make you feel cold because your metabolism slows. This is adaptive thermogenesis, i.e. your body using less energy for non-essential functions (which includes generating heat), to make up for the shortfall in calories going in. Getting yourself to the point where you don't feel cold all the time would be indicative of your metabolism getting faster.

Either way, eating more and doing some kind of strength training may just fix the issue. Feeling cold all the time when you didn't use to isn't really a good sign, and it's not the inevitable result of fat loss.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Suede jacket lined with faux fur over a wool sweater over a long-sleeved shirt, sweat pants under wind-resistant pants, two pairs of socks under boots, suede gloves, scarf, ear muffs, hood. That's my winter attire for Ohio, because yes, I am more susceptible to the cold here now than ever after losing weight. :(
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    It is winter. Everyone is cold outside.
  • RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    gain some lean body mass. More muscle = central heating. (don't worry, it won't make you look "bulky" - but there are about a million threads on this forum about how gaining muscle doesn't make you bulky so I won't elaborate)

I bulked to gain 10lb, (I still fit in the same clothes as I did 10lb lighter, and most of what I gained is lean mass) and my ability to withstand the heat where I live (Bahrain) deteriorated a lot, because my body's generating more heat. In fact, I tolerated the heat here better when I was obese than I do now. So losing body fat does not necessarily result in feeling cold all the time. Gaining lean mass definitely makes you feel warmer though!! (I don't mind feeling hot all the time, I have air conditioning.)

Also, chronic undereating can make you feel cold because your metabolism slows. This is adaptive thermogenesis, i.e. your body using less energy for non-essential functions (which includes generating heat), to make up for the shortfall in calories going in. Getting yourself to the point where you don't feel cold all the time would be indicative of your metabolism getting faster.

Either way, eating more and doing some kind of strength training may just fix the issue. Feeling cold all the time when you didn't use to isn't really a good sign, and it's not the inevitable result of fat loss.

I was beginning to think I was the only one that had the opposite effect.
  • ReinasWrath
    ReinasWrath Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    I used to pretty much be a Nord and wear t shirts outside in the snow and stuff, have my window open all year round and never need to use the heat but now I'm always freezing it seems!
  • Snowthorn
    Snowthorn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your body will adjust to the change, When I was at college a lot of our course was practical lessons outside and I used to go around in hotpants and fishnets in mid winter and I weighed less than I do now and I'd be fine. Now I shiver at the slightest breeze... But I've gotten used to being inside working in hot cafes.
  • Snowthorn
    Snowthorn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    ....I had poor dress sense XD
  • SquidVonBob
    SquidVonBob Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Yes thank you!

Also iron helps.