Kettlebell Swings! Are you up for the challenge?

Options
2»

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Got day one done yesterday, but was at the gym where the heaviest bell they had was a 20 lb, so not as challenging as I'd like. Tonight is one of my scheduled kettlebell nights at home, so I'll do this with my 30!
  • htimpaired
    Options
    I'm new to kettlebells, so I'm watching videos and trying to get the correct form from the beginning.
    Using 10 lb bell. Did 10 swings on day 1 and 10 swings on day 2, so I'm on track. :)

I watched some YouTube videos with Ryan Raw -- very helpful.
    My dvd's came yesterday, so I'll be watching those soon. They are two different trainers.
    Lots of variety for learning, but the messages are consistent. I like that!

Try ontheedgefitness.com. Lauren Brooks is the trainer-she does some great videos on form too!
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I did a kettlebell workout last night using a Ryan Raw video on YouTube. I think I need to go up to another kettlebell weight. I don't quite feel the workout this morning.

1lovechips - You can do it with one kettlebell. That's what I do. That's what most workouts I've seen do. Using two kettlebells at the same time is very challenging. You can get a great workout using just one kettlebell that you can hold in both hands for certain movements. Switch the kettlebell to one arm when you want to work each arm individually.
  • sydneyplainjane
    sydneyplainjane Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    What's a good starting weight for a beginner? Coincidentally, I just bought a 10 pound kettlebell this morning, even before I saw this thread. When I got it, though, I was thinking about doing more than just swings, so I bought something I could lift with one arm. But, for swings, maybe I should be using a higher weight?

I've seen lots of books and websites recommend 12-18lbs to start for women. When I started, I got a 20 lb, for 2-hand swings I suspect 10 lbs will be too light...

Thanks. When I tried them out at the store, I had problems raising the 20 pound bell with one hand, so that's why I went with the 10. But, maybe I should have two sizes - the 10 pounder for some exercises and the 20 for things like swings (since I can use two hands). These things are expensive, though!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I only have an 18lb and a 26lb and the 18 is too light for swings, and the 26 I can do sets of 50, so I'm doing two sets of 50 (for now). It's good because it's such a small time commitment I should be able to add this on all month. I'm nursing a lower back injury from yoga over the summer so I'm hoping this will get those muscles from 90% to 105%! Though I haven't done swings in a while and just from the last 3 days, I feel it in my glutes and thighs.

Check out used sporting goods stores for cheaper bells.
  • htimpaired
    Options
    What's a good starting weight for a beginner? Coincidentally, I just bought a 10 pound kettlebell this morning, even before I saw this thread. When I got it, though, I was thinking about doing more than just swings, so I bought something I could lift with one arm. But, for swings, maybe I should be using a higher weight?

I've seen lots of books and websites recommend 12-18lbs to start for women. When I started, I got a 20 lb, for 2-hand swings I suspect 10 lbs will be too light...

Thanks. When I tried them out at the store, I had problems raising the 20 pound bell with one hand, so that's why I went with the 10. But, maybe I should have two sizes - the 10 pounder for some exercises and the 20 for things like swings (since I can use two hands). These things are expensive, though!

I get my bells from amazon. There is a seller, I think it's "Yes4All", that sells bells very reasonably priced, sometimes even packages them together into sets of 2 or 3 weights (like a 10, 15 and 20). Shipping isn't as awful as you'd think either.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    So how are we doing, kettlebelle swingers?
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I'm in too! Just did a kb workout last night. I will only be able to use my 25lb bell as I had a multi-level cervical spinal fusion earlier this year.
  • theGreenDoll
    Options
    Signing up! I will start tonight.
    I use a 15lb KB.

I am interested in how long your swings are taking and what you log them as on MFP?
  • lindyrbtsn
    lindyrbtsn Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Thanks for telling me about the Tracy Reifkind workouts!
    I've been using a few different trainers, but she's my favorite, so far ! :)
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Bit delayed but i just finished my first day of 10 sets of 10 swings with a 8kg kettlebell. I'm gonna keep at it.
  • donaldhilson59
    Options
    Remember the kettlebell swing is a great exercise, but you need to safely challenge yourself. You are paying a lot for crossfit, get your money's worth! I swing the 20k one handed and the 22k 2 handed.