When your weight loss stalled what did you change

Options

Replies

• tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Upped my calories from 1,500 to 1,600. I was eating below my BMR.
  • zacharydeveaux
    zacharydeveaux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I didn't have much of a stall in my weight loss other than maybe my last 10lbs. I didn't change anything - just kept doing exactly what I was doing all along and waited patiently.

I can say that I made a push to log more accurately by creating more recipes / measuring some things out instead of 'ballparking' from existing MFP entries....so maybe that made the difference.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I changed my work outs and I paid closer attention to tracking what I ate. Other than that, I cultivated patience, rejoiced in the fact that I was losing inches even if not pounds and just did my best every day.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    I purchased the Bodymedia Armband. In essence, I ate more. Way more. Tdee - 500 Calories per day.
  • smh1067
    smh1067 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I changed how I measured my progress. I started measuring inches, and in 6 weeks of not losing a single pound, I lost almost 15 inches. I might have given up if I hadn't started measuring. And I'm not a weight lifter or anything, just cardio and some light resistance band/exercise ball work.

After that, I upped my calories 200-300 and the weight started coming off with the inches. I'm back down with my calories now, but I think sometimes the body just needs a little break to catch up and adjust to the weight you've lost.
  • Sarahnade42x
    Sarahnade42x Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    1. Increased my calories (I was at 1200 previously...too few for me)
    2. Increased my cardio intensity
    3. Started lifting weights + doing more bodyweight exercises
    4. Bought a Fitbit+Running app to keep myself moving all day
  • Mrs_Kettlebell
    Mrs_Kettlebell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Great thread.
  • glenelliott5872
    glenelliott5872 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    (1) more accuracy in weighing food

(2) accuracy in counting calories burned in exercise ( started to use a heart rate monitor)

(3) Update food target based on current weight ( I started weight loss at 110 kg and 2000 kcal per day and now I am at 86 kg and 1490 kcal per day.

(4)I calculated my RMR and was surprised how much lower my odd burnt per day.

(5) I measured my body fat with calipers and this helped me to calculate my target weight more sensibly
  • Wimkerkhoff
    Wimkerkhoff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    What has worked for me is tracking in MFP with a goal of 50g carbs per day - the rest coming from high protein (.8 - 1g per pound of body weight) and fat. This automatically forces you to eat the right stuff, feel satieted, and keeps cravings down.

Check out this Ketosis calculator to help figure out your macros for carb/protein/fat.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Very helpful thread. Seems like the main thing that helped was increasing calories.
  • popsicklestar
    popsicklestar Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Because I'm really really close to my goal, my deficit is really small. When I first started losing weight, I would go over my calorie goal by 100-200 calories a few days a week and would still lose. I recalculated my TDEE on several different sites and found that now those little overages were putting me pretty much at maintenance. I had to be really strict with staying in my calorie goal. I started weighing food as much as I could. It turned out there were a few things I was underestimating. It seems like a lot of people on this thread did well with increasing their calories, but I would only recommend that if previously you were eating at too high of a deficit from your TDEE. In my case, I was pretty much eating at maintenance, so I had to lower my caloric intake.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    I dropped my calories another 150/week. It worked, but :sad:
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I ran the numbers (see http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12 which you probably have already, but another look doesn't hurt) and upped my goal calories to slightly above my BMR, while also eating back the majority of my exercise calories (worked out by MFP according to stats grabbed from a linked Fitbit smart pedometer). Eating more to eat less really DOES work.

The 'eat more' philosophy as to do with the necessary deficit to lose weight. Some people set theirs unnecessarily low, which leads to poor adherence because they are just too hungry. Plus you have the energy to work out more vigorously when you eat a more sensible deficit. And also, remember weight loss is not linear. You likely would have seen the drop in weight regardless. Happy that you found a good number that works for you though.

When one is not losing weight, the answer is rarely to eat more. But I see the advice on the threads so much I'm about ready to give up. I'll just start answering the 'OK, so I ate more and starting gaining weight. Now what?'
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    I've been stalled for about 2-3 months now (gain/lose the same 2-4 kg). So I decided to pick up the New Rules of Lifting for Women. Can't say I've seen a scale change nor really a measurement change (yet) but I've only been at it about 2.5 weeks now, but I went from barely being able to lift anything, to using 25 pound weights on my deadlifts. I'm totally stronger! I'm sure the rest'll come in time. I'm working on getting a stronger ME vs. getting a lighter me.

Yes! I started with strength work as well as my cardio and faithfully keeping my deficit. I used to weight lift seriously, so for me the muscle memory has stood me in good stead. My muscles are popping and I'm becoming more defined. It took some convincing (from hubby) that even though I am HEAVIER than I want to be I look BETTER. It's starting to sink in. But it's definitely time to buy new pants, 'cause da booty ain't fitting in the old ones. Ah the drama.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    First, I tried to be patient for 30 days, because that is how long it may take for me to see that the change (or lack thereof) is due to something other than normal fluctuations.

Next, I determined my real TDEE using my data, not averages from the calculators, using this--
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/EvgeniZyntx/view/mfp-extractor-and-trend-watcher-the-program-post-589839

Once I had the TDEE I took 250 calories off of it with the hope of losing 0.5 pounds per week. In practice, this meant reducing my calories by 200 calories per day compared to what I had been eating. A bummer to have to reduce, but it seems to be working.

It is my suspicion that when I increased my exercise, my NEAT decreased, offsetting much of the additional activity (or, I am not burning as many calories with exercise as I think, even though I am trying to be conservative with it).
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Upped my calories and started logging faithfully again. And, started drinking more water to help kick the old habits like drinking pop....
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    Now and then, one's metabolism needs a shock!
    Every three weeks or so, I must have an "off day",
    and eat a few hundred excess calories of 'allowable foods' from my plan.
    It's usually some form of carbs, such as raw honey
    or a very sweet fruit, such as dates or raisins.
    This practice restarts the downward trend.
  • snapehbp
    Options
    I'm going to increase my calories as I've been in a plateau for about two months!!! I'm trying to change my workouts, and I'm very accurate in documenting what I eat and the amount.

Thanks for the tips!!
  • Blew28
    Blew28 Posts: 11
    Options
    Bump for later!
  • KBGAgent
    KBGAgent Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Here is the oversimplified version of my 22 month slow but steady weight loss effort.

205 lbs > 190 = cut out dessert during the week and take only one plate
    190 lbs > 185 = cut out dessert on weekend one day only
    185 lbs > 175 = exercise properly and routinely, track what I do and eat
    at 183lbs - bought 4 sessions with a personal trainer to get more out of my workouts
    trainer told me about my fitness pal to track cals and exercise, used it ever since.
    175 lbs > 170 = cut out empty cals (like replacing 100 calories of baked chips with 100 cals of yogurt. )
    my profile picture is at 173.
    170 lbs > 165 = struggle and plateau, long plateau. Was still BMI overweight, but, I looked pretty good.
    Injured my shoulder in this period. prolonged the plateau. still injured so limits my lifting. Weight loss was slow. I didn't give up, even though the loss was almost unmeasurable.
    165 lbs > 159 = Use a heart rate monitor to more accurately track my calorie burn. Do more cardio. Do it with my all.
    Gained a bit last month to 163.5, now at 160.5. Eating bits of crap here and there but getting back to the 150s.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!