Obese friend's Christmas gift.....stumped

Options

Replies

• MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should lend your friend your high horse for a while. Horse back riding is great exercise and I'm sure she will quickly learn how to point out your flaws to a bunch of people online.

FTW...where have you BEEN all my MFP life?
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Wow. Online questioning is tricky and everyone now thinks ill of me. Yes, I do see her as obese. We have for years wanted to help her change. We all love this person, and she has major health issues goign on now. I hoped that the search results would show items to avoid, a new trend, or a novel gift idea.. Something to light up her day, something really novel. I did find LED lights for the sink. Novel, but not a gift. I guess I bow out of this as I am not good at communicating as can be evidenced by how bad I botched this thread up.

I'm sure she appreciates being treated like a pitiful leper (obese pitiful leper, sorry) that can't enjoy things that us skinnier folks like. If they had a store for just obese people I'd say you and the girls blindfold her and surprise her with an all-day shopping spree. Or find an indoor waterpark. Fat people love those.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Wow. Online questioning is tricky and everyone now thinks ill of me. Yes, I do see her as obese. We have for years wanted to help her change. We all love this person, and she has major health issues goign on now. I hoped that the search results would show items to avoid, a new trend, or a novel gift idea.. Something to light up her day, something really novel. I did find LED lights for the sink. Novel, but not a gift. I guess I bow out of this as I am not good at communicating as can be evidenced by how bad I botched this thread up.

May I kindly suggest choosing your words carefully in her presence? Perhaps strike the word obese from your conversations in general. For about 2 years I had to tolerate my friend who would always offer me skinny cow ice cream sandwiches at her house. She finally stopped doing any of that nonsense and serves real food at all her shindigs. Ppl can change, be one of them.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    I think the OP should print out this entire thread and present it to 'Obese friend' as the gift. Then she won't have to worry about buying her gifts anymore.

Omg...Have you seen OP's profile? :laugh:

I did. I'm still laughing.

I don't get it?

i think it was pointing out that she was the skinniest person in high school
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I think the OP should print out this entire thread and present it to 'Obese friend' as the gift. Then she won't have to worry about buying her gifts anymore.

I don't get it?

The lols for me started at "Eating for Gold"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

No, you didn't word the thread wrong. It's your perceptions and who you are that came blatantly out in the thread. There is a difference between knowing someone is obese and seeing them as obese. Maybe try regarding her as a person instead of a body condition.
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should lend your friend your high horse for a while. Horse back riding is great exercise and I'm sure she will quickly learn how to point out your flaws to a bunch of people online.

FTW...where have you BEEN all my MFP life?

I've been busy stalking husbands :laugh:
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options

Oh, aren't you just precious. Something to light up her day???? Hmm.....How about a lamp?
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    That's what I mean! I don't offer her any food suggestions, one way or the other. I don't offer her any exercise advice, one way or the other. Yes, I have hoped for years that she could take more control of the weight issue.

What we talk about for the past 20 years is men, relationships, family, movies, kids, news, work, crazy bosses, and general gossip. In the past four months, we've been talking about her health issues & doctors visits, insurance changes (she isn't going to qualify for band-type procedures due to insurance changes). It has been all-consuming past few months for her becuase of the seriousness of her medical situation. It has to be her to decide to make any change. Not me. Therefore, I strictly don't approach the subject. Yes, perhaps I do say the wrong word or have the wrong gesture/look/unconscious expression. I'm sure she makes some jokes about me too. I'm the abscent minded and can't get through life without a "to do" list to keep me on track.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I don't get it?

this gives me an idea. to revamp my FL. so i can be the skinniest one on it. that's SOMETHING right? i never knew being the skinniest anything anywhere was a thing. BRB, delete mode ACTIVATED!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    That's what I mean! I don't offer her any food suggestions, one way or the other. I don't offer her any exercise advice, one way or the other. Yes, I have hoped for years that she could take more control of the weight issue.

What we talk about for the past 20 years is men, relationships, family, movies, kids, news, work, crazy bosses, and general gossip. In the past four months, we've been talking about her health issues & doctors visits, insurance changes (she isn't going to qualify for band-type procedures due to insurance changes). It has been all-consuming past few months for her becuase of the seriousness of her medical situation. It has to be her to decide to make any change. Not me. Therefore, I strictly don't approach the subject. Yes, perhaps I do say the wrong word or have the wrong gesture/look/unconscious expression. I'm sure she makes some jokes about me too. I'm the abscent minded and can't get through life without a "to do" list to keep me on track.

i am just getting sadder thinking of my friend waiting those two years for me to get off my duff and do something about my "problem" meanwhile if we'd been open enough to hash it out she might understand my reasons for waiting. as they are 1,000% legit. Is it in any way possible you could give your friend credit for handling her own life and you just be in charge of being a nice person to chat with and shoot the breezes? If not if it were my friend I would kindly ask her to leave my life and lose my number. I hope she's not thinking these things and will keep my relationship with her but I'd be lying if I said I won't be wondering now how many hours it took her to choose my gift.
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I think your friendship is the most precious gift there is! She is such a lucky large lady!:flowerforyou:
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    this thread is making me think if somewhere my white friends are posting messages on a forum asking what to buy their black friend because they want to avoid any skin care stuff that might have SPF in it in case it reminds me that i'm black :grumble:

This thread is pure gold.:laugh:
  • BroiledNotFried
    Options
    I was very skinny, but not in a good way. I thougth about it, and I think I'll just ask to take her out. There's a live theater with a good show playing, and a trendy new watering hole. Time and relationships are what Christmas is about. It hurts that you all continue to misread who I am, but you have made me question my own motives, thoughts, and feelings about my friend and how I look at her. And, for that there is good. Merry Christmas (or Happy Everything) to all of you.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I hear they make a great perfume for obese people. A cute purse, for obese people, would be great too!
  • Hauntinglyfit
    Hauntinglyfit Posts: 5,537 Member
    Options
    I was very skinny, but not in a good way. Thanks so much for all your ideas. I thougth about it, and I think I'll just ask to take her out. There's a live theater with a good show playing, and a trendy new watering hole. Time and relationships are what Christmas is about.

Call ahead and ask if they allow obese people. To avoid awkwardness at the door in case they don't.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

I don't get it?

this gives me an idea. to revamp my FL. so i can be the skinniest one on it. that's SOMETHING right? i never knew being the skinniest anything anywhere was a thing. BRB, delete mode ACTIVATED!

A very wise person once said, "If you want to be thinner, hang out with people who are heavier than you."

At least I think it was a person. It may have been Garfield.
  • BroiledNotFried
    Options
    I was very skinny, but not in a good way. I thougth about it, and I think I'll just ask to take her out. There's a live theater with a good show playing, and a trendy new watering hole. Time and relationships are what Christmas is about. It hurts that you all continue to misread who I am, but you have made me question my own motives, thoughts, and feelings about my friend and how I look at her. And, for that there is good. Merry Christmas (or Happy Everything) to all of you.
  • iamanadult
    iamanadult Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Do they make plants or flowers for obese people? A nice poinsettia is always a good choice.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    this thread is making me think if somewhere my white friends are posting messages on a forum asking what to buy their black friend because they want to avoid any skin care stuff that might have SPF in it in case it reminds me that i'm black :grumble:

Didn't you see my post earlier?

i just saw it.

i didnt want to be greedy, but as long as we're going high end, i'd gladly take a chanel bag AND a trip to paris for being the black AND obese friend :laugh:

damn now I wish I was black and obese all I get is a g-d damn on sale coach bag!!