Hating the idea of maintaining.

Options

Replies

• a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    So would it be bad for for me to have one day where I "Cheat" And then go on a mini diet for the rest of the week? I feel as though that would make me feel good because I'd be eating less then everyone else all the other days of the week except for that one day =P
    Like I could weigh myself the morning of my cheat day, cheat, eat less for the rest of the week then re-weigh in again on the morning of my next cheat day to see if I earned it?
    I think what I need to do is stop weighing in daily even though it sometimes helps...but only when the number I see is lower.
    How old are you really?

This. This is an extremely immature/unhealthy relationship with food... and people. I would highly recommend speaking to a counselor with experience in dealing with disordered eating.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    If you look at food as a competition with other people you have an unhealthy relationship with it. You need to see it as the energy your body needs to achieve the goals you have. Your goal is no longer to lose weight, it is now to maintain and that means eating more cals.

If you must make it a competition many try to see it as "I can eat more than you and still weigh this much."
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    So would it be bad for for me to have one day where I "Cheat" And then go on a mini diet for the rest of the week? I feel as though that would make me feel good because I'd be eating less then everyone else all the other days of the week except for that one day =P
    Like I could weigh myself the morning of my cheat day, cheat, eat less for the rest of the week then re-weigh in again on the morning of my next cheat day to see if I earned it?
    I think what I need to do is stop weighing in daily even though it sometimes helps...but only when the number I see is lower.
    How old are you really?

This. This is an extremely immature/unhealthy relationship with food... and people. I would highly recommend speaking to a counselor with experience in dealing with disordered eating.

Her profile says she's 18. Her statements tell me a young 18, she needs guideance and positive help. ^^^ Counseling is a good place to start.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    There's nothing noble, virtuous or noteworthy about dieting - it is just a process.

You have developed some unhealthy associations with eating less than other people - you have tied your self worth to it. You need to break that link, hard and fast, before it brings you down.

I would suggest focusing on eating a healthy and varied diet and finding a physical activity that you love. That will cause you to maintain a healthy, stable weight without the obsession of calories.
  • redlipsticklyfe
    redlipsticklyfe Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Morning! I'm currently on my fourth or fifth try to reach my goal weight. No that's not true. Every single time I've tried I've reached my goal weight and then like you figured I was skinny and could eat whatever I wanted. Then I gained all my weight back. This is my first time on MFP and I just admitted to my friends that I was scared of food. I never wanted to eat 1200 calories and when I worked out I wouldn't eat back my exercise calories. In my mind that didn't make sense if I was trying to lose weight. A light bulb went off recently and I realized that I wasn't losing weight for a number on the scale. I was doing it for a certain body. I want a six pack and toned legs and sexy arms and a back that makes lesser mortals weep. There is no magic number where that happens on the scale. After I had that epiphany I discovered a girl named Staci and I think you should meet her too. http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

This girl went from 170 to 117 and looked like ****. Finally she realized the number on the scale wasn't what was important and some crazy amazing things happened. I read her story every day now to help remind me that food is an integral part to get where I want to go. That it doesn't matter if I eat less or more than others as long as I'm headed toward my goal. Check out Staci and feel free to add me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I feel as though that would make me feel good because I'd be eating less then everyone else all the other days of the week except for that one day =P

you dont even get why this is wrong, do you OP?
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

It is great that you've managed to lose this weight and get to a place where your goal is maintenance.

The challenge for many people is maintaining, particularly after losing a lot of weight. Your comments suggest this will be tough, as it seems from what you've said, that you have an unsustainable diet and an unhealthy outlook on your relationship with food and your body.

This can be a difficult situation to navigate by yourself. I would urge you to seek help from a qualified counselor. You deserve to be happy and healthy for the long run.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    There's nothing noble, virtuous or noteworthy about dieting - it is just a process.

You have developed some unhealthy associations with eating less than other people - you have tied your self worth to it. You need to break that link, hard and fast, before it brings you down.

I would suggest focusing on eating a healthy and varied diet and finding a physical activity that you love. That will cause you to maintain a healthy, stable weight without the obsession of calories.

This.

It's an adjustment to go to maintenance for sure. But eating less than other people shouldn't make you feel superior to them. That's a very troubling mindset.

And like others have said, find some exercise that you love and start making goals based on that. I lift weights so my goals revolve around getting stronger and improving body composition rather than on scale number now.
  • debrakhan
    debrakhan Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have lost over 100lbs over 2yrs ago and I still hate trying to maintain, I never allow myself a cheat day as when I tried that I put on 3lbs, I just don't seem to be able to increase my calories or to allow the occasional treat, without suffering for it, would love to have a day off once and awhile. I walk twice a day for an hour, and have just bought another exercise dvd, the Firm 500 calorie one, in the hope of being able to relax once and awhile. But I never want to go back to the way I was 2yrs ago. So I understand where you are coming from
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get into the psychology of this (I'm a psychologist, so this is hard for me). But let's just go with the fact that you're competitive and you feel good when you are doing well compared to others.

Fact: Most people regain the weight they have lost. In fact, 65% regain after 2 years.

Fact: Most people who haven't lost, keep getting fatter. Hence the obesity epidemic.

If you can maintain you're doing better than almost everyone. Go with it.

P.S. Competitive about fitness, exercise, and your body fat percentage? Half the MFP groupies will be happy to join you there.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    OP, you talk as if eating is some sort of crime against humanity. You aren't going to find happiness as long as you have that sort of mentality toward food. And nobody (who is worth knowing) cares how much you do or don't eat.
    I have lost over 100lbs over 2yrs ago and I still hate trying to maintain, I never allow myself a cheat day as when I tried that I put on 3lbs, I just don't seem to be able to increase my calories or to allow the occasional treat, without suffering for it, would love to have a day off once and awhile. I walk twice a day for an hour, and have just bought another exercise dvd, the Firm 500 calorie one, in the hope of being able to relax once and awhile. But I never want to go back to the way I was 2yrs ago. So I understand where you are coming from
    Those three pounds are not fat. It's probably just water, and will go away in a couple of days. I'm not sure why gaining 3 pounds for a couple of days is the end of the world or to be seen as a source of "suffering."
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkteens.com/

That is probably a better place for you, OP. And talk to a counseling professional.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you have an iffy relationship with food. Maybe you should speak with someone.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm really not being rude here but it sounds like you have issues with food AND with yourself. Have you thought about seeing a therapist? Someone to talk to about how you feel? I mean obviously there are all sorts of psychological changes we go through as we lose weight and reach our goals. Not everyone handles them well and that's NOTHING to be ashamed of. I definitely think seeing someone about your feelings would help.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I don't know why but I hate the idea that I'm done losing weight.
    When I was losing weight, I felt good knowing I was eating less than others...that I was getting skinnier while they were not.
    But now I don't need to get any skinnier and need to start eating more...
    the problem is when I see people eating way less than me on a daily basis I feel like crap about myself.

This makes me think you could work yourself into an eating disorder if you are not careful. There is no reason you should feel bad about yourself for eating more than someone else. Your body is different than theirs.

As to wanting to be the "old" you... Girl!!! I wish I could be the 18 year old me who could eat whatever ALL the time. But, you know what they say, "Wishing doesn't make it so!" :/
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    sparkteens.com

ETA: And now I see that someone else beat me to it...

...so consider this a "x2".
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Please keep on mind that, whatever you may think about it, people usually don't care whether you eat more or less than them, they usually don't notice unless they want to hurt you on purpose. If you're doing this to impress the other people you should definitely question your motivation. I wonder who are those "other people" though. If you have some nice friends, who have a healthy relationship with food (and with you) I don't see why you should feel like you're in competition with them. If you have a bad enviroment around you, e.g. extremely skinny people, with unhealthy relationship with food, obsessively counting calories OR thin people who look at you in a weird way for eating, then you should definitely change the kind of people you have around. If it's all about you you should try to focus on yourself instead. Why did you do this? What do you want to achieve? Happiness, strenght, healthiness and so on... if you rely on imposed models then you're not losing weight, you're damaging yourself outside and inside.
  • Jaxper
    Jaxper Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I would take pride in knowing that you could eat MORE than someone and still look great.

If it really is that big of an issue for you to appear to be eating less, it sounds like you should talk to someone.
  • papetto
    papetto Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Some of you need to check your language. If she's experiencing disordered behavior, what good does it do to call her immature, insult her or make judgements about her age? It's completely irrelevant and even bordering on hurtful. And that just makes YOU look immature. :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

ummm I think you need to re-examine your relationship with food and how you view others...

what do you care if you are eating less, or more, or the same then others?