Do you like the British Broadcasting Corporation?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    What's road tax? :P

Something that hasn't applied in the UK for a very long time :)

A road tax? I would prefer that to the gasoline tax, I think. In Kansas, they have toll roads. They do not have them in Missouri.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I used to watch it all the time as a kid... I kinda miss it... but at least I can still watch some things... and as far as the news. I don't watch much more news than what is on the local stations... I will read, but not watch beyond that.
  • GrabacrPD
    GrabacrPD Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like the BBC because I DETEST the vapid, insipid and crap dross that ITV roles out.
  • latewinter
    Options
    agree with you on that one grabacr. the loose women should be shot along with eamon holmes when he is on this morning. other than that the chase is the only decent thing on itv1. i dont mind itv3 it sometimes shows sherlock holmes (jeremy brett)
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Dr Who? I watched it over 30 years ago...... (admittedly from behind the sofa because I was a little kid lol)

there's a lot more really good BBC programmes besides Dr Who (which is great, of course). Check them out.

I totally agree on this one... I remember when I was a kid we would watch the CBBC programs (I miss Blue Peter and Maid Marian and her Merry Men; and the C is for Children's)... and my parents would always watch One Foot in the Grave, Keeping up Appearances, and 'Allo 'Allo... Among others of course... Recently I watched Merlin, Robin Hood, and Pramface (thanks Hulu for that one)... and then of course Downton Abby... there are more but I can't remember them off the top of my head.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be talking about TV. But where the BBC really shines is factual radio output:

Start the Week, In Our Time, Thinking Allowed, Kermode and Mayo, etc, etc....

There's no commercial broadcaster that regularly matches the quality of output. It's because the beebs business model releases it from needing to succeed commercially and sell advertising space. Therefore it can produce quality, niche listening without fear of loss of advertising revenues.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I like their health documentaries.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • latenitelucy
    latenitelucy Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of BBC. I'm in a group on another site.

Wait, this is the right thread, right?
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    lol at LateNiteLucy!

As for the BBC, I'm not a huge fan. But they do provide international coverage or world issues pretty well. It is all funded for by the British tax payer so I certainly other people like it, or it is a huge waste of money. It does try to compete with comemrcial tv stations for audiance sizes here in the UK, which is crazy if you ask me. The whole point of "the unique way that it is funded" is that it is able to produce television without the constraints of financial and economic returns. In other words, quality tv. But when they compete for audience size with other stations/broadcasters, you begin to think that it is maybe time to call it a day.

In the mean time, it constitutes a good propaganda tool for the British on a world scale, and it seems to work at that! when it comes to world news, I do like Al Jazeera, Sky News is OK. Russia Today is pretty good. The BBC news station is ok. It's healthy to have the remote in hand, and pick and choose depending on what you want! :)
  • 294Rich
    294Rich Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    What's road tax? :P

Something that hasn't applied in the UK for a very long time :)

Road Tax is the name that people in the UK incorrectly give when referring to the Road Fund Licence. It is, however, semantics. It is a road tax, for cars, whatever it is called.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,128 Member
    Options

Yes. Go on...
  • jsukhan
    jsukhan Posts: 149 Member
    Options

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jsukhan
    Options
    Still can't stop laughing...

When will they figure it out...

:laugh:
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options
    It's mostly overrated, which is why I have been thinking about starting the BWC. Our broadcasting would be financed by hard work, not the government. I am tired of how commonplace lazy programming has become. I mean, sure, some of the scripts are deep, and the scope of some shows are massive, but it takes someone with brains to truly hit the deep spots in someone, and hit them over and over and over again. It has to be so good that they can't get enough and keep, coming, back for more.

Sounds like you are trying to imitate BBC's buisness model. The BBC has been satisfying households for many a year and have very deep roots in America. This is why word of mouth has propelled the BBC into a huge force to be reckoned with. The investors know where the biggest returns come from. Lots of insider trading going on as well. Also, when you combine BBC with PAWG (not to be confused with the BBW, common mistake) the outcome is usually a HB 8-10.
  • ZombieGeezUs
    Options

Would you like some stock? The market is flourishing
  • jsukhan
    Options
    It's mostly overrated, which is why I have been thinking about starting the BWC. Our broadcasting would be financed by hard work, not the government. I am tired of how commonplace lazy programming has become. I mean, sure, some of the scripts are deep, and the scope of some shows are massive, but it takes someone with brains to truly hit the deep spots in someone, and hit them over and over and over again. It has to be so good that they can't get enough and keep, coming, back for more.

I see what you did there....
    :laugh: :laugh:
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I am a huge BBC fan.

I watch Dr. Who, Orphan Black, Sherlock, Ripper Street, Broadchurch, Copper and I am trying to get into Atlantis.

I know, I'm a geek. But it's who I am.

:)
    Christy
    This sums things up for me as well. Plus Graham Norton and the Nerdist.

I also miss How Clean is Your House, Primeval and Being Human . The US version of HCIYH was OK but too commercial and too obviously scripted.

Thank goodness for BBC America!
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    So many unawares, so little time
  • jsukhan
    Options
    So many unawares, so little time

so true...
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I told my wife that she could try BBC, but i wanted to watch....