What carbs should I DEFINITELY stay away from?

Replies

• ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Purple ones.

Purple carbs are the worst.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    The ones you dont like.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Pepsi, Mountain Dew and other 'beetus juice drinks.
  • zephtalah
    zephtalah Posts: 327 Member
    The carbs you should stay away from are the ones that make you go over on your calorie limit for the day. You should stay away from any food that makes you go over unless you exercise some more and then you could eat some more. ;)
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    the only carbs you should stay away from are those on someone elses plate... cos stealing food is rude!

IIFYM, a doughnut wont do you any harm if it fits you calorie goal... carbs arent evil unless you have medical problems of course.

^^ This.
    +1
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    A large russet white potato has about 165 calories, 50% of daily Vitamin C, 25% daily fiber, 33% potassium, 10% iron, and 5 grams of protein. Not the best choice for pre-diabetics or diabetics but a nutritious food that many other people can enjoy.
    Define "large", please. By weight. Because to me, a large potato is about the length of the diameter of a dinner plate. I guarantee it has somewhere on the order of 500 calories. That difference could easily wipe out some people's deficit and then some.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Your body does not view your nutrient intake within the context of individual food items. There is no such thing as a food that is inherently “good” or “bad”

+1
  • princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    For those that are Diabetic, have PCOS or are Insulin Resistant............ Sugar and any food that would turn into sugar is a no no!

Fruit is ok as a snack and what grains and beans your body will tolerate .......... you will have to find out!

From my personal experience, I cut out all, I mean all sugars and refined/processed foods plus starches!

I am now on a new life journey! Learning what I can, and cannot add back into my diet one day at a time!

Yes I am Insulin Resistant. I will probably have to stay away from processed foods for the rest of my life!
    I have a genetic disorder! Now beans and sweet potatoes etc will be part of that learning. What will my body tolerate and what it won't. Grains and potatoes...... probably a no or once in a while in very small portions!

Those of you who say eat what you want in moderation are wrong for someone like me! Carbs are the enemy for me!

I am not like everyone else, and I am sure there are more like me, they just don't know it yet!

I have a hubby and 3 boys! They can have all of the things that I cannot! So, I get to cook for me and for them differently. I don't mind because I would rather have lost the weight, feel and look healthy and not be at risk for diabetes or heart disease, than eat the things that made me feel bad, bloated and overweight!

So to sum up OP, it is up to you and how you feel what you eat! If you feel crappy after eating bread or rice then ditch it! Try one thing at a time and see what makes you feel good not bad!

Happy Holiday's! ; )
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Don't stay away from any carbs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    A large russet white potato has about 165 calories, 50% of daily Vitamin C, 25% daily fiber, 33% potassium, 10% iron, and 5 grams of protein. Not the best choice for pre-diabetics or diabetics but a nutritious food that many other people can enjoy.
    Define "large", please. By weight. Because to me, a large potato is about the length of the diameter of a dinner plate. I guarantee it has somewhere on the order of 500 calories. That difference could easily wipe out some people's deficit and then some.

I always wonder about this. My average (not even large) potato runs around 350 calories. I enjoy them sometimes but it's not a common occurrence because I'd rather spend the calories on something else. But then, the same goes for sweet potatoes.
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member

That being said, if you have a trigger food (like tortilla chips for me) that you know will cause you to crave more/binge/not meet your goals for the day, then it is probably a good idea to stay away from that food.

If it fits your daily goals and you enjoy it, eat it.

Carbs as a whole is a trigger food for me, so I've cut them out almost completely. Doing quite well.

OP, cut out trigger foods, and if carbs are included on that list, then don't be shy about it.
  • know white potatos, white bread, and white rice (yuck) are terrible for you.

No they're not....they can all be part of a nutritious and balanced diet. White potatoes are chalk full of minerals and vitamins...there is absolutely nothing wrong with white potatoes. You're just buying into the latest and greatest dietary boogie man myths...stop reading stupid **** and eat a well balanced diet that is rich in nutrient dense foods....last I checked, a potato was a pretty nutrient dense whole food.

No need to be patronizing when it comes to helping out those who are just beginning this healthy lifestyle journey. Especially no need to post twice with the same self-righteous snark.
    I've associated white potatoes with "bad" because of what it does to blood sugar, and the fact that diabetes is in my family. I still will mostly never eat them.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    For those that are Diabetic, have PCOS or are Insulin Resistant............ Sugar and any food that would turn into sugar is a no no!

Fruit is ok as a snack and what grains and beans your body will tolerate .......... you will have to find out!

From my personal experience, I cut out all, I mean all sugars and refined/processed foods plus starches!

I am now on a new life journey! Learning what I can, and cannot add back into my diet one day at a time!

Yes I am Insulin Resistant. I will probably have to stay away from processed foods for the rest of my life!
    I have a genetic disorder! Now beans and sweet potatoes etc will be part of that learning. What will my body tolerate and what it won't. Grains and potatoes...... probably a no or once in a while in very small portions!

Those of you who say eat what you want in moderation are wrong for someone like me! Carbs are the enemy for me!

I am not like everyone else, and I am sure there are more like me, they just don't know it yet!

I have a hubby and 3 boys! They can have all of the things that I cannot! So, I get to cook for me and for them differently. I don't mind because I would rather have lost the weight, feel and look healthy and not be at risk for diabetes or heart disease, than eat the things that made me feel bad, bloated and overweight!

So to sum up OP, it is up to you and how you feel what you eat! If you feel crappy after eating bread or rice then ditch it! Try one thing at a time and see what makes you feel good not bad!

Happy Holiday's! ; )

I think it goes without saying that if you have a medical condition you should eat the way your doctor tells you.

But since I didn't expressly say that, I will now: OP if you have a medical condition then you should follow the medical advice of your doctor.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    You do not need to cut out any type of carb, or food for that matter. The only exception I would say... would be foods you are allergic to, or foods that make you feel sub par.

Other than that... EAT ALL THE CARBZ.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,217 Member

I always wonder about this. My average (not even large) potato runs around 350 calories. I enjoy them sometimes but it's not a common occurrence because I'd rather spend the calories on something else. But then, the same goes for sweet potatoes.

I agree 'large' is not terribly useful. The above stats were for a 216 gram potato. I eat white potatoes a lot and the largest ones I eat are around 250 grams. I guess I've been successful in shrinking my perceptions of portion sizes.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member

know white potatos, white bread, and white rice (yuck) are terrible for you.
    Who said?
    But do I have to all together aim to stop eating things like corn (as in popcorn, corn on the cob, or corn tortilla chips}
    Yet popcorn and tortilla chips are fine?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    know white potatos, white bread, and white rice (yuck) are terrible for you.

No they're not....they can all be part of a nutritious and balanced diet. White potatoes are chalk full of minerals and vitamins...there is absolutely nothing wrong with white potatoes. You're just buying into the latest and greatest dietary boogie man myths...stop reading stupid **** and eat a well balanced diet that is rich in nutrient dense foods....last I checked, a potato was a pretty nutrient dense whole food.

No need to be patronizing when it comes to helping out those who are just beginning this healthy lifestyle journey. Especially no need to post twice with the same self-righteous snark.
    I've associated white potatoes with "bad" because of what it does to blood sugar, and the fact that diabetes is in my family. I still will mostly never eat them.

well maybe you should see a doctor rather than asking a bunch of randos on the internet. sorry if you found it patronizing...I'm just being real.

Also, was pre-diabetic just a year ago...I eat potatoes in moderation and I hit my macros...40c/30p/30f...it's balanced and I no longer have high blood sugar despite eating potatoes, pasta, etc. It's not about deprivation, even for diabetics and pre-diabetics...if you actually talked to your doctor or nutritionist about this then you would understand.

Also, if you're just not going to eat them then why ask the question..are you just looking for attention?
  • know white potatos, white bread, and white rice (yuck) are terrible for you.

well maybe you should see a doctor rather than asking a bunch of randos on the internet. sorry if you found it patronizing...I'm just being real.

Also, was pre-diabetic just a year ago...I eat potatoes in moderation and I hit my macros...40c/30p/30f...it's balanced and I no longer have high blood sugar despite eating potatoes, pasta, etc. It's not about deprivation, even for diabetics and pre-diabetics...if you actually talked to your doctor or nutritionist about this then you would understand.

Also, if you're just not going to eat them then why ask the question..are you just looking for attention?

1) Thank you for being sorry that I happened to find you patronizing instead of taking responsibility for your flippant tone. What a man

2) My mom and I have the same holistic internist/nutritionist. She is quite the nutrition Nazi and has blacklisted white potatoes. One every 3 months? Fine. I'm not asking about once every 3 months. I'm asking about everyday stuff. Also, how egregious it is for you to think all pre-diabetics eat the same. My mom was (thanks to her doc) pre diabetic and she stays away from potatoes because they trigger her especially in chip form (same for me).

3) Yeah, I'm gonna not eat white potatoes. I literally wrote that in my first post. Congrats for being able to read. My question was not about white potatoes. My question was about people's experiences with cutting carbs, which ones they advised I cut, opening a dialogue about whether complex, healthier carbs will stagnate a diet, and to slip in anecdotal evidence that I got from watching my brother lose weight on no carbs. Somehow this is invalidated because I said I wont eat white potatoes, as if that was the end all be all of my question? Please/

4) Why ask the question at all? LOL. Yes, I'm SO looking for attention here. People answering helpfully about honest nutrition inquiries validates my self worth---said NO ONE EVER. I am here to gain insight, not to gain attention (and attention for what? my diet? yes, I want my diet to give me attention).

Stop following me around. If anything, YOU'RE looking for the attention.

Thanks for your time.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    I think you're on the right track. Opt for fruits, veggies, and whole grains instead of added sugar and processed grains. This is what I try to do most of the time.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    The carbs to stay away from include anything refined, or artificially concentrated to a calorie density not found in nature. This includes, but is not limited to, anything with sugar or flour.

What are perfectly acceptable are the unprocessed, unrefined plant based foods. This includes Fruits, veggies, sweet potato, brown rice, oats, quinoa, and even the dreaded white rice and white potato.