What was the last book you read?

Options

Replies

• Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I've read 161 books in 2013. My Goodreads Challenge was 150. Among the best:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tarte
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Powell (YA)
    The Fault in our Stars by John Green
    Son of a Gun by Justin St. Germaine
    11/22/63 by Stephen King
    Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
    The Round House by Louise Erdrich
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
    Canada by Richard Ford
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

I read 211 books in 2012, but only 111 as of today for 2013. I am 55 books behind for my challenge.:sad: My reading has gone down considerably since I started with MFP. I really need to get my act together! Good job Btw. I have to look into some of the books that you mentioned. Thanks.

That is really impressive. I love reading but often I have to read science journals instead for my work!
  • Abhishek1984
    Options
    "A Wild Sheep Chase" by Haruki Murakami
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Last book read was "As I Lay Dying" by Faulkner. Discovered I am not a fan of this man's writing - it was almost as tough for me to get through as Shakespeare. But I'm still going to check out the movie version as I'm curious to see how they interpret the way of speaking, etc.

Currently reading: "The Christmas Cookie Club" by Ann Pearlman. Great little chick lit tale about a group of friends from different age groups, backgrounds, that come together once a year (obviously) and share their struggles, triumphs, etc. Plus it includes the recipes for the cookies the ladies contribute and some neat little factoids (nutrition, history) about some of the foods used.

Last book listened to (I have a long commute) was "Ender's Game" by Orson Scott Card. Just finished it last night. Thought I'd read it before I must've just started the book and not finished it because there was a lot of parts I didn't remember. Looking forward to the movie version!

Currently listening to: "Montana 1948" by Larry Watson. I saw this book on a list of banned books a few years ago and decided I had to get my hands on it. Beau Bridges does the reading and is very good at it.

Prior to Ender's Game, I listened to "Nation" by Terry Pratchett and really liked that one as well.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    The White Plague by Frank Herbert.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Non-fiction: "Beyond 5/3/1" - Jim Wendler

Fiction: "Stranger in a Strange Land" - Robert A. Heinlein

"Beyond 5/3/1" is actually the last book I've read. I'm currently reading Arthur C. Clarke's "Earthlight."
  • lknjohnson
    lknjohnson Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    bump. How many times can you read a good book. I can read a good book twice. But it has to be like years between
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Thunderball by Ian Fleming

Found a stack of James Bond paperbacks for sale at the local library for $.25/each including many of the classics, From Russia With Love, Goldfinger, Live and Let Die, so how could I pass it up?

Before that I burned through all but 1 of the Honor Harrington series, I think 11 of them. Starting Goldfinger today :happy:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I recently began reading "The Hobbit" again, but I stuck a bookmark in it and haven't picked it up again for the last few weeks.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I've read 161 books in 2013. My Goodreads Challenge was 150. Among the best:

The Goldfinch by Donna Tarte
    Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Powell (YA)
    The Fault in our Stars by John Green
    Son of a Gun by Justin St. Germaine
    11/22/63 by Stephen King
    Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
    The Round House by Louise Erdrich
    The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
    Canada by Richard Ford
    Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein

I read 211 books in 2012, but only 111 as of today for 2013. I am 55 books behind for my challenge.:sad: My reading has gone down considerably since I started with MFP. I really need to get my act together! Good job Btw. I have to look into some of the books that you mentioned. Thanks.

Last year I read over 300 and this year I'm finishing up under 100-I also totally blame it on MFP :grumble: :laugh: I even canceled my original MFP account a few months ago, to free up time, and then I got sucked right back in :tongue: I just got plugged into a 2014 group challenge over on GR and starting in January I'll be focusing on reading again. I won't be hanging out on MFP as much, but I miss reading so much!
  • BlackandWhitePhotoOp
    Options
    I finished, " The Storyteller" by Jodi Picoult a couple of weeks ago.
  • thxo
    thxo Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Do textbooks count? School wise it would be 'The Politics of Restorative Justice: A critical Introduction' by Andrew Woolford.

Leisure wise it would be The Mortal Instruments series by Cassandra Clare.
  • Groovyca2022
    Groovyca2022 Posts: 21,378 Member
    Options
    Fifth Grave Past The Light ~ Darynda Jones
  • bmqbonnie
    bmqbonnie Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Currently reading Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh. I've loved her blog for a long time and the book has additional content. I love it and it's good for when I don't feel attentive enough to read anything but short illustrated stories lol.

Last one, other than textbooks, was maybe The Lacuna by Barbara Kingslover on audio? It's been a while. I want more audio books for my commute but they are so damn expensive. I was getting lots from the library but they don't have much of a selection that isn't on cassette....
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. Meh. I didn't finish it because it was boring.

I've never understood the hype with Jonathan Franzen. Big, long, boring books.
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Currently Reading: A Storm of Swords - George R. R. Martin

I love books, real books preferably, but I do read on the Kindle as well.

I saw someone tracks their books in Goodreads. I will be doing that for 2014 because I do lose track sometimes. I am not reading as much as I would like right now, my commute changed so not able to read as much because of bus, not like the train in NY. Work has also got me burnt out, so concentration and time is limited, but it goes back on the priority list for 2014!
  • 2ht2hand1e
    2ht2hand1e Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I agree, waaaay better than the movie. It was definitely a memorable book.
    My Sister's Keeper- book was way better than the movie
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    One book that I loved from years ago was "Where The Heart Is." I was so disappointed when I saw the movie. They actually cut some main characters that were in the book from the movie.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    Just finished Doctor Sleep -so good! Started W is for Wasted.

We have bookshelves FULL.of books in every room but for the bathrooms and dining room. I generally do the library though-can't afford my reading habit if I have to buy them! And thankfully, I can "borrow" e-books for my iPad and my kindle from the library.

Now I need to go back through all these pages for some more ideas.
  • devilday1805
    devilday1805 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Reading Divergent right now it is pretty good
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Just finished Doctor Sleep -so good! Started W is for Wasted.

We have bookshelves FULL.of books in every room but for the bathrooms and dining room. I generally do the library though-can't afford my reading habit if I have to buy them! And thankfully, I can "borrow" e-books for my iPad and my kindle from the library.

Now I need to go back through all these pages for some more ideas.

Can't wait to get my hands on Dr Sleep... (and the next Odd Thomas book,) but until then, I'm gonna just re-read the Hunger Games trilogy...