how to cook spaghetti squash? and your fav recipes?

Options
13»

Replies

• Roxmom66
    Roxmom66 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Taking note. Great recipes!
  • MrsFowler1069
    MrsFowler1069 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    I just discovered this and love it too!
    But I did cook my face up and liked the texture.. it was a little more crispy then facedown in pan of water.

This is my preference also. I spray it first with a little Pam or brush with a tiny bit of olive oil....this adds a nominal amount of fat, but controls the dryness, while allowing more of a roasted finish than a steamed one.

That said, I love, love, love spaghetti squash, whether it's in a scramble, a stir fry, stuffed, roasted, steamed, whatever. The most common thing I do is just to roast it and then stir in a small amount of Italian seasoning, black pepper, and shredded Parmesan. Goes great with simple shrimp or chicken dishes.
  • Jorussobad1
    Options
    ROASTED SPAGHETTI SQUASH SEEDS (like pumpkin seeds)

I used olive oil but it tasted like butter (even my boyfriend thought so) YUMMY!!

1 cup winter squash seeds

1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
    Check All Add to Shopping List .Directions
    1.Preheat the oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
    2.After removing the seeds from the squash, rinse with water, and remove any strings and bits of squash. Pat dry, and place in a small bowl. Stir the olive oil and salt into the seeds until evenly coated. Spread out in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet.
    3.Bake for 15 minutes, or until seeds start to pop. Remove from oven and cool on the baking sheet before serving.
  • clambert1273
    clambert1273 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    saving this! :)
  • deetee6718
    deetee6718 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Here is a recipe I recently tried and I love it. I had never thought of using it as a dessert but I have even made this for company and they loved it.
    SPAGHETTI SQUASH PIE
    Ingredients
    1 cup fat-free evaporated milk (I used unsweetened Almond Milk)
    1 cup water
    1/2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
    4 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
    2 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 eggs
    1/2 cup egg substitute
    4 tablespoons fat-free margarine (optional)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons coconut extract
    1 cup cooked spaghetti squash
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 350*F. Coat a 9-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
    Put all ingredients except squash in your blender and whiz on low for a minute or so.
    Stir in the squash by hand. Pour mixture in the pan. Let stand 5 minutes.
    Bake for 30-40 minutes or until just set. The top will puff up and brown.
    NB: I like it better cold. The cornmeal settles to the bottom and forms a kind of sweet polenta crust.

Nutritional Facts for Spaghetti Squash Custard Pie
    Serving Size: 1 (228 g)
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving% Daily ValueCalories 72.3 Calories from Fat 1318%Total Fat 1.4 g2%Saturated Fat 0.4 g2%Cholesterol 47.7 mg15%Sodium 252.3 mg10%Total Carbohydrate 8.1 g2%Dietary Fiber 0.2 g1%Sugars 4.0 g16%Protein 5.8 g
  • melissat888250
    melissat888250 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is how I make spaghetti squash, too.
  • halips
    halips Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    My favorite Spaghetti Squash recipe is Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Squash.

1 Medium Squash cut in half. Microwave for about 10 min until almost done.
    remove and place in baking dish, cut side up. Heat oven to 425.
    In a sauté pan mix 8oz. chopped chicken with 1/2c buffalo sauce and 1/3c cream cheese. Mix until cheese is melted. Equally distribute filling btwn halves of squash, top with 1/8c of shredded cheddar each and bake for 10-15 min.

My version usually comes out to about 450 cal per half and is a ton of food! I've made it using a cauliflower buffalo sauce too, instead of all the cheese and it's just as yummy!
  • StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I cook mine and once i have the threads out I top it with a good flavorful Italian olive oil , crushed garlic and red pepper flakes.
  • Kookyk9s
    Kookyk9s Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I make clam spaghetti squash.
    For sauce:
    1 can baby clams drained.
    coarsely chopped green pepper,red onion ,4 sticks celery,red pepper .
    Clove or 2 of garlic minced
    2 cans sliced mushrooms or fresh mushrooms.
    Put small amount of butter for taste in bottom of large skillet or wok.
    Add ingredients and heat until veggies are as soft/crispy as you like.

Serve over cooked spaghetti squash - I do mine in the microwave cut in half and seeded before cooking. Once on plate top with 2 tablespoons grated fresh Parmesan cheese and grind of fresh black pepper.

Have also been known to turn it into a primavera by omitting the clams and adding whatever vegetable is in the house. Still Parmesan cheese on the and black pepper.

For the clam version - I calculated it at 331 cal per serving. I usually use 1/2 of the squash for supper and the rest for lunch the next day,. Right now have some in the fridge because I doubled the recipe yesterday so ate it last night and for lunch today. Will eat the rest for lunch and dinner tomorrow
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Maxylicious
    Maxylicious Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    these all sound delicious! Have one thats been sitting in my pantry for a while now, can wait to give it a spin!
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    My favorite Spaghetti Squash recipe is Buffalo Chicken Stuffed Squash.

1 Medium Squash cut in half. Microwave for about 10 min until almost done.
    remove and place in baking dish, cut side up. Heat oven to 425.
    In a sauté pan mix 8oz. chopped chicken with 1/2c buffalo sauce and 1/3c cream cheese. Mix until cheese is melted. Equally distribute filling btwn halves of squash, top with 1/8c of shredded cheddar each and bake for 10-15 min.

My version usually comes out to about 450 cal per half and is a ton of food! I've made it using a cauliflower buffalo sauce too, instead of all the cheese and it's just as yummy!
    This sounds good!
  • _jayciemarie_
    _jayciemarie_ Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I baked my spaghetti squash and then used it in homemade chicken noodle soup. I replaced traditional noodles with the squash. It was low calorie and super delicious!!!!
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    I put mine in the microwave for about 15 minutes to loosen. I scrape it out into a bag and use it for a variety of things. I add it to soups to bulk it up.

The special thing about spaghetti squash is that it takes on the flavor of whatever it's put with. If you try to replace noodles with it and put spaghetti sause on it, it's going to taste like straight spaghetti sauce, but if you add it to the noodles to make the noodles healthier, to bulk it up, it's great.

It's especially good in homemade potato soup.