Anyone else not believe in "starvation mode?"

Options

Replies

• Peachygirl14
    Options
    I was commenting on this:

'Starvation mode from eating zero calories for a prolonged period greater than 72 hours = YES "

if it is all about calories, would you be willing to take your 1200 calories from refined sugars? (white cane, HFCS, etc)
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    It's been proven to be a myth. That's why it's unbelievable.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Starvation_Experiment

but the report shows that it has a real effect though so I don't understand why you say this. Your statement is opposite to the evidence you have provided ????

The full report of results from the Minnesota Starvation Experiment was published in 1950 in a two-volume, 1,385 page text entitled The Biology of Human Starvation (University of Minnesota Press). The 50-chapter work contains an extensive analysis of the physiological and psychological data collected during the study, and a comprehensive literature review.

Among the conclusions from the study was the confirmation that prolonged semi-starvation produces significant increases in depression, hysteria and hypochondriasis as measured using the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. Indeed, most of the subjects experienced periods of severe emotional distress and depression.[1]:161 There were extreme reactions to the psychological effects during the experiment including self-mutilation (one subject amputated three fingers of his hand with an axe, though the subject was unsure if he had done so intentionally or accidentally).[5] Participants exhibited a preoccupation with food, both during the starvation period and the rehabilitation phase. Sexual interest was drastically reduced, and the volunteers showed signs of social withdrawal and isolation.[1]:123-124 The participants reported a decline in concentration, comprehension and judgment capabilities, although the standardized tests administered showed no actual signs of diminished capacity. There were marked declines in physiological processes indicative of decreases in each subject’s basal metabolic rate (the energy required by the body in a state of rest), reflected in reduced body temperature, respiration and heart rate. Some of the subjects exhibited edema in their extremities, presumably due to decreased levels of plasma proteins given that the body's ability to construct key proteins like albumin is based on available energy sources.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Does zero calories exist in real whole foods? Maybe only in processed food where calories are "isolated"

Even vegetables and fruits do have some calories.

Boils down to the quality of food. Better to chow on white rice for calories than on refined sugar!

did you even read the topic????
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    oh hello again starvation mode myth thread..

starvation mode from eating 1200 cals a day or skipping snack 23 out of 24 = NO

Starvation mode from eating zero calories for a prolonged period greater than 72 hours = YES

/end thread
    Zero calories (only water) for any period of time = fasting, NOT starvation. Greater than 72 hours =/= starvation.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Does zero calories exist in real whole foods? Maybe only in processed food where calories are "isolated"

Boils down to the quality of food. Better to chow on white rice for calories than on refined sugar!

Yes.
  • Peachygirl14
    Options

Would you prefer to take your calorie from white can refine sugar white rice, quinoa, whole wheat?
  • vinny76063
    vinny76063 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think many of these articles are too obsessed with calories rather than the ratio of carbs, protein and fiber.

if you eat more fiber than protein and even more less carbs, you will feel less hungry, thus allowing your body to use stored fat. And the starvation theory does not even make more sense especially given that eating fiber makes you feel more full in the longer period. You can make an experiment for one day. For a meal, eat only veggies and meat/fish and time how long it takes for you to feel hungry. Then take carb rich meal and time it too. You'll feel less hungry when you eat veggies and meat/fish over carb laden food.

I think the weight issue has more to do with "digestion". If your stomach is empty, the brain thinks you will need to eat regardless of the fat in your body and slows down metabolism. If you have something in your stomach that is digested slower, your brain won't think your body is starving.

It is related.

Your body does not necessarily burn fat when you are hungry. Your body burns more fat if you are less hungry and your stomach is filled with fiber.

Carbs are converted to stored fat.

Fat comes in many form. Carbs are converted to fat. Meat and fish contain their own fat. There are good and bad fats.

no. all wrong. sorry.

again, please read up on these concepts and come back when you are able to contribute to the actual subject at hand. :smile:

@ hayleyd516 NICELY PUT
  • davert123
    davert123 Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    "Starvation Mode" is real, but many people that use the term don't really understand what it really is.

The body is always in a state of flux, but if your deficit is too large that your body cannot break down fat stores fast enough, then your body will begin to use muscle as fuel, as well as reducing non-life sustaining functions. This will effect hair, nails, skin, alertness, energy, etc. The result is a slightly lower BMR, meaning the deficit that you thought was 1000 cals/day, may really only be 800 or so, due to your body reacting to the large deficit to "preserve" itself. So the downside is a slower than expected weight loss.

There is also the issue of malnutrition, Many on VLCD do not get the required micro nutrients and over time can have negative health side effects.

^^^ Thanks for knowing what you talk about, very refreshing :-)
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    i don't think it happens as soon as they try to say. but technically they are saying 'starvation mode' not 'starvation'. what they mean, at least from what I can understand, is that the body mocks what it will do when starving. your body will do what it needs to do to survive. and reserving fat is one of those things. you are by no means going to starve any time soon, but you will lose the weight slower. that's all they are trying to say. they don't mean you are going to die. hope that helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Peachygirl14
    Options

Yes.
    \

Yes, Coke Zero! Zero Calories. Processed. Calories isolated.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Starvation mode from eating zero calories for a prolonged period greater than 72 hours = YES

/end thread
    Zero calories (only water) for any period of time = fasting, NOT starvation. Greater than 72 hours =/= starvation.

I think you said what I said...
  • ndj1979
    Options

Would you prefer to take your calorie from white can refine sugar white rice, quinoa, whole wheat?

Actually, I would prefer if your posts made sense.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options

Yes.
    \

I'm sorry you missed the sarcasm. I really have no idea what you're saying has to do with this topic. You aren't even using complete thoughts.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    "Starvation Mode" is real, but many people that use the term don't really understand what it really is.

The body is always in a state of flux, but if your deficit is too large that your body cannot break down fat stores fast enough, then your body will begin to use muscle as fuel, as well as reducing non-life sustaining functions. This will effect hair, nails, skin, alertness, energy, etc. The result is a slightly lower BMR, meaning the deficit that you thought was 1000 cals/day, may really only be 800 or so, due to your body reacting to the large deficit to "preserve" itself. So the downside is a slower than expected weight loss.

There is also the issue of malnutrition, Many on VLCD do not get the required micro nutrients and over time can have negative health side effects.

yeah, he put it better. I am not scientifical. i try to dumb things down for me to understand... LMAO. :tongue:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    In, because I like where this is headed.

i-like-where-this-thread-is-going-8.jpg
  • Peachygirl14
    Options

/end thread

Water is "whole" food? Who on earth EATS on water?

And "fasting" on water negates the importance of calories.

Substituting fiberous food is better. Has water, still has calories, keeps you full (hence, not slowing down metabolism)
  • Peachygirl14
    Options

Yes.
    \

I'm sorry you missed the sarcasm. I really have no idea what you're saying has to do with this topic. You aren't even using complete thoughts.

Not my problem if you did not even get the sarcastic tone in that said post and in my reply.
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    In, because I like where this is headed.

i-like-where-this-thread-is-going-8.jpg

me too. The lack of sleep last night I was gonna try to nap and perhaps maybe go into "starvation mode" lmfao jk but this is better then napping
  • Peachygirl14
    Options
    Dr Jason Fung on "calories in, calories out"

Very interesting perspective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

6 parts all in all
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

/end thread

Water is "whole" food? Who on earth EATS on water?

And "fasting" on water negates the importance of calories.

Substituting fiberous food is better. Has water, still has calories, keeps you full (hence, not slowing down metabolism)

enough internetz for you today...

4178549+_94aed4866782507ddddf9a14f39855f9.gif