Anyone else not believe in "starvation mode?"

Options

Replies

• Peachygirl14
    Options
    oh hello again starvation mode myth thread..

starvation mode from eating 1200 cals a day or skipping snack 23 out of 24 = NO

Starvation mode from eating zero calories for a prolonged period greater than 72 hours = YES

/end thread
    Zero calories (only water) for any period of time = fasting, NOT starvation. Greater than 72 hours =/= starvation.

I think you said what I said...

Water is "whole" food? Who on earth EATS on water?

And "fasting" on water negates the importance of calories.

Substituting fiberous food is better. Has water, still has calories, keeps you full (hence, not slowing down metabolism)

enough internetz for you today...

4178549+_94aed4866782507ddddf9a14f39855f9.gif

You "EAT" water?

Meanwhile, enjoy your calories from HFCS, white refined sugar and say hello diabetes
  • redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

Starvation mode from eating zero calories for a prolonged period greater than 72 hours = YES

/end thread
    Zero calories (only water) for any period of time = fasting, NOT starvation. Greater than 72 hours =/= starvation.

Substituting fiberous food is better. Has water, still has calories, keeps you full (hence, not slowing down metabolism)

So in for this.
  • Peachygirl14
    Options
    Makes me wonder, do Koreans and Japanese "count" their calories and fat intake obsessively or do they just have better portioned diet? They also walk more than most North Americans, which eliminates the "need" to go to the gym weekly.

Both countries have less than 5% obesity rates.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options

/end thread

enough internetz for you today...

4178549+_94aed4866782507ddddf9a14f39855f9.gif

You "EAT" water?

Meanwhile, enjoy your calories from HFCS, white refined sugar and say hello diabetes

what-choo-talkin-bout-willis.jpg

I eat water. Get at me, bro.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    From the article:

Most people’s definition of starvation mode goes something like this:

To lose weight, you need to consume less calories. BUT, if you consume TOO few calories, your metabolism slows down so much so that your body enters a state where weight loss stops completely.

And technically, fiberous food has less(not totally devoid of) calories right?

Enter the proportion of carbs, protein, and fiberous food.

And 1200 calories is not really bad or low unless you only get your calories from carb.

And... no.... sorry. Try reading the original studies instead of pop science.
  • Loss4TheWin
    Options
    I Believe!! Seriously, I do. I just don't think it's as big a deal as some people seem to think it is.

I've done a medically monitored, VERY controlled, 600 calorie per day diet. I was given 3 shakes a day to consume, no more, no less. Even following that to absolute perfection, there would still be an occasional week where I just didn't lose. WTF. However, I still lost TONS of weight super fast and for many months (about 6 months). So, while I may have seen a week or two of no loss, the net effect of "starvation mode" was negligible.

That being said, when I went back to regular food, my metabolism was slower, my muscle mass was depleted and my body/mind craved SUGAR. That paired with the program not really preparing me for the "real" world, and the fast weight loss giving me a skewed idea of how easy it is to gain/lose weight (i.e., 6lbs is nothing, I can lose that in 2 weeks without even trying), I gained the weight back, and then some.. So while "starvation mode" wont keep you from losing weight, I still wouldn't recommend going for a huge deficit. Physiologically, and for the long term, a huge deficit may be fast weight loss, but probably not long-term weight loss. Slow and steady wins the race.

But I'm not a doctor, and obviously not an expert or I wouldn't be here...fat and struggling. Lulz. So don't listen to me. I'll just putter off elsewhere.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options

/end thread

Not quite...I'm clarifying that starvation does not occur after 72 hours.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Makes me wonder, do Koreans and Japanese "count" their calories and fat intake obsessively or do they just have better portioned diet? They also walk more than most North Americans, which eliminates the "need" to go to the gym weekly.

No, I suspect this is not the case. I think I'm going with your own answer - that greed is less socially acceptable, they are more physically active and the most commonly eaten foods are lower in fat and/or calories.
    OR they have discovered fat-melting magic fairy dust and are refusing to share with the rest of the world!!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    The way I understand it any time you are in a prolonged deficit your body switches to be more efficient with the cals it has available. I believe the "starvation mode" that people are terrified about, where your body goes into survival mode and shuts down any system it can to preserve energy doesn't happen till fat stores drop to dangerous levels. The thing that is dangerous about vcld while still having excess fat stores is lack of essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. This is why they need to be supervised by someone who can watch these levels through blood tests.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

/end thread

I believe I said a "pro longed period greater than 72 hours" will lead to starvation mode....but you should be able to read that for yourself...I think...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it any time you are in a prolonged deficit your body switches to be more efficient with the cals it has available. I believe the "starvation mode" that people are terrified about, where your body goes into survival mode and shuts down any system it can to preserve energy doesn't happen till fat stores drop to dangerous levels. The thing that is dangerous about vcld while still having excess fat stores is lack of essential nutrients such as vitamins and minerals. This is why they need to be supervised by someone who can watch these levels through blood tests.

you are actually referring to metabolic adaptation, not starvation mode...
  • Peachygirl14
    Options

/end thread

I believe I said a "pro longed period greater than 72 hours" will lead to starvation mode....but you should be able to read that for yourself...I think...

So you've eaten only water in 24 hours? Wow, 0 calories in one day. You're prolly "a veggie" in 48 hours
  • inside_lap
    Options

Much much more complicated then you think. Yes, they have smaller portion sizes. Yes, they tend to eat less fast food (or at least the American variety). No, I don't know what your point is...

Edit: Oh, and culturally they will be much more upfront about people gaining unacceptable weight. So social pressure is much higher to remain thin. And yes, I have met people from Asian countries that are unusually thin and refuse to drink a glass of OJ due to the potential weight they MAY gain. Sounds pretty similiar to calorie counting....
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

you are actually referring to metabolic adaptation, not starvation mode...
    What's the difference? Serious question*
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options

Just remember good fats are good for the body. Fat doesnt make us "Fat"

Unhealthy fats is what consumes most of Americans Diet therefore thats why we are an obese country
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Added Response to Peach: Oh, also Asians (and I'm being very general here) don't generally believe that females with muscle mass is attractive. Thus it's actually MORE of an insult to say you look muscular then to say someone's fat. They, very very generally speaking, idealize the thin academic look. So yes, less Asians in Southeast Asia go to the gym. I think the culture around exercise and what looks fit is changing though...
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options

/end thread

So you've eaten only water in 24 hours? Wow, 0 calories in one day. You're prolly "a veggie" in 48 hours

what the everloving what?

squirrel-up-dog-gif.gif
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Just remember good fats are good for the body. Fat doesnt make us "Fat"

Unhealthy fats is what consumes most of Americans Diet therefore thats why we are an obese country

We are an obese country because (in general) we eat more calories than we burn. I don't see how dietary fats come into play here.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do believe that your metabolism will slow down, and that overall it's a pretty dumb idea to starve yourself, when you can lose weight eating a reasonable amount... even if technically there isn't such a thing as 'starvation mode'.
  • Peachygirl14
    Options
    America is fat because of the poor food quality. Poor kinds of carb people eat and food that are loaded with different kinds of sugar. In America, everything has to be "sweet"(aka loaded with sugar). Chickens, Cows, Hogs fed with antibiotics, GMO crops (usually to be resistant to pesticides)...

This is a very good lecture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0