dieter's edema, squishy fat, wooshes and what nots

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I got nothin'. No anecdotes either, except hormonal edema sucks!
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with this process (mental note to read up on it tonight), but basic physiology tells us that there must be homeostasis between ICF and ECF. Water retention is, in part, regulated by sodium levels. If the lipocytes are storing additional water, would they not require additional sodium, and thus could be combated by a reduced sodium intake, forcing the cells to release extra water?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    are we talking about homeostasis and water osmolality? I'd question any text book that couldn't support the science then went off on some tangent.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I am not familiar with this process (mental note to read up on it tonight), but basic physiology tells us that there must be homeostasis between ICF and ECF. Water retention is, in part, regulated by sodium levels. If the lipocytes are storing additional water, would they not require additional sodium, and thus could be combated by a reduced sodium intake, forcing the cells to release extra water?

Correct sir. Two processes if this was the case - since hoeostasis is a a ion concentration process either na/cl/ca driven (and could be driven by reduced salt intake) or increase of water will drive dilution up via ion channel pumps.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    In for knowledge.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    are we talking about homeostasis and water osmolality? I'd question any text book that couldn't support the science then went off on some tangent.

Homeoestatis (of this type) certainly has a lot to do with weight fluctuation, imflamatory response, etc. But Pilon mentioned cells absorbing water as a way of maintaining volumetric consistency - as if fat cells held onto water prior to a whoosh. The literature is shoeing me nothing to suggest this is true. I'm hoping that the crowd might have seen something.

Otherwise I can only say that science doesn't support Dieter's Edema and Pilon is faking it when he said he went back "deep into the research" to find this "missed" "scientific fact".

I finding it very suspect - as well as the arguments of "fat cells holding onto water".
    Show me.
  • wheird
    Options

Correct sir. Two processes if this was the case - since hoeostasis is a a ion concentration process either na/cl/ca driven (and could be driven by reduced salt intake) or increase of water will drive dilution up via ion channel pumps.

Excellent, on the same page then.

In terms of "squishy fat", could that not be caused by fat cells shrinking at different paces?
  • QuietBloom
    Options

This makes me wonder if electrolyte balances could be involved in the squishy wooshes.
  • wheird
    Options

This makes me wonder if electrolyte balances could be involved in the squishy wooshes.

That was kind of my thought as well. And those whooshes could coincide with a period of reduced sodium intake.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options

Excellent, on the same page then.

In terms of "squishy fat", could that not be caused by fat cells shrinking at different paces?

Possibly, tissue remodeling, lattice breakdown, or other processes.
    From my readings, I am willing to bet that at least one of the processes is preferential selection of which lipids are used to form free fatty acids.

We know from really old literature (lovely descriptions in French from the revolution period) that the quality of meat flesh, butter etc is dependent of the "oil" diet of animals when these were changed and that the fat fluidity changed with specific diets exerimentally between butter and margerine in calves, etc. I would guess (guess!) that when you add that to how lipolysis rates occur differently for different lipids the fluidity of tissue is affected.
  • ldrosophila
    Options

OK I went back and read...my first thought is how would this even be possible inside a pretty hydrophobic cell? Seems most fluid would be found outside of the cell. Wouldnt know enough about adipose physiology to even venture a guess.
  • DSTMT
    DSTMT Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    My personal experience suggests its true but that's worth nothing. In for science!

Same here...I have no actual proof of this scientifically being accurate, but I know for myself whenever I stop exercising/watching what I eat for a while and then get back into it, I always have a small weight gain and feel really puffy for a few days/couple of weeks until I get back into the routine, and then it seems to go away pretty quickly.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    Can you point me in the direction of Brad Pilon opining on this theory? I've poked around his site with little success.

Thanks!

In: For fat cells being pumped full of water!
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    My personal experience suggests its true but that's worth nothing. In for science!

Same here...I have no actual proof of this scientifically being accurate, but I know for myself whenever I stop exercising/watching what I eat for a while and then get back into it, I always have a small weight gain and feel really puffy for a few days/couple of weeks until I get back into the routine, and then it seems to go away pretty quickly.

That could actually be the diet and exercise getting your fluids back your current 'normal state' of low-ish glycogen stores that you are achieving through calorie restriction.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options

OK I went back and read...my first thought is how would this even be possible inside a pretty hydrophobic cell? Seems most fluid would be found outside of the cell. Wouldnt know enough about adipose physiology to even venture a guess.

The lipids are stored as a droplet, allowing the rest of the space to be hydrophilic - otherwise there's be issues with normal cellular processes. I just saw a paper that said the intracellular water content of white adipocytes was ~5-10% ... and now I can't find it again. So don't take that figure as gospel - who knows what I think I'm remembering.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    Options
    Can you point me in the direction of Brad Pilon opining on this theory? I've poked around his site with little success.

Thanks!

In: For fat cells being pumped full of water!

He's removed the blog post from his site but here is the interview he gave:

http://www.vincedelmontefitness.com/blog/419/why-diets-stop-working/
    Brad: Yes. It gets to a point where it starts to hide weight loss even though the body water isn’t going up, you’re body is getting smaller because your burning fat but you will get to a point where you aren’t losing any more water to go along with your fat loss; so your percentage of total body water might actually go up and it localizes itself where your fat used to be. Not a good thing. It also occurs very gradually.

Vince: Is there a scientific name for this phenomenon?

Brad: It’s known as dieter’s edema, or swelling. Dieter’s edema usually starts after the first month of semi-starvation, (and like I said earlier, any strict weight loss diet is similar to semi starvation). At first the swelling is very transient, it comes in later in the day, and it’s gone by the morning. As semi-starvation continues, this edema becomes more apparent and more massive. So the longer you diet, even when your weight loss starts to plateau, you’re still losing fat, but it’s being hidden by this edema (swelling).

Vince: That’s great that we finally have the answers to why this happens and we know it has nothing to do with some metabolic loss slowdown or malfunctioning enzymes, but it doesn’t change the fact that it happens. If you’re someone who is trying to get a six pack and get really lean, how do you prevent this? What are your options?

Brad: Well, first, as I told you, if you’re going to follow a traditional diet which is the same as clinical semi-starvation to get ultra-lean, it looks like you’re going to have to do periodic periods of re-feeding (eating more). Because there’s not a lot of new research on this we really don’t know how long you have to re-feed for, but it seems like the effect is fairly quick. Once you start eating a larger amount of calories, your edema will quickly go away to the point where it looks like you’re starting to lose weight again.

Vince: And what is the option you suggest in your new book?

Brad: I suggest another option in my book, and this option comes from research published as early as 1890.

The research I dug up showed that a full-day fast did not result in edema. That’s right, while semi-starvation causes dieter’s edema, total starvation or fasting, does not.

So you could use the ESE protocol of flexible intermittent fasting and weight training and you would not get dieter’s edema. What you’re essentially doing here is periods of complete starvation (fasting is a better word), which doesn’t cause dieter’s edema, followed by periods of re-feedings. Even if, for some weird, crazy reason, you did get a little bit of edema, it would go away very quickly with this system.

So ESE solved the dieters edema problem even before I knew the problem existed. The Eat Stop Eat lifestyle is meant to be used as an easy and effective weight loss strategy but it ended up fixing this other major problem with dieting too. I guess I kinda lucked out on that one!
  • ldrosophila
    Options

The lipids are stored as a droplet, allowing the rest of the space to be hydrophilic - otherwise there's be issues with normal cellular processes. I just saw a paper that said the intracellular water content of white adipocytes was ~5-10% ... and now I can't find it again. So don't take that figure as gospel - who knows what I think I'm remembering.

So would it be possible for a cell to go from 10% to, just guessing, 75% fluid filled? I'm picturing little water balloons of fat cells.

Another question are the triglycerides arranged in the cell kind of like a circle of with their little arms inside the droplet?
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Huh. I know nothing about this. What a fun topic!

Alas, I can not contribute any actual knowledge to this thread except this little tidbit:

Proteins contribute to osmolarity too (see colloidal osmotic pressure and net filtration/absorption between capillaries, interstitial fluid, and the lymph system). It's not just about salt. Any 'solute' or particle dissolved in water will influence osmolarity.

This is speculation only, but perhaps dieting leads to a mild protein deficiency in some... if the deficiency is extracellular... well, you could get a net fluid movement into the cell, though why on earth it would be specific to fat is anyone's guess... and for that matter, I AM just guessing.

Maybe its time to go play on pubmed.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I've seen Pilon say the term dieter's edema is from the Minnesota starvation studies.

I too want to know more. I haven't seen much credible about it but I do experience squishy fat and whooshes.

I used to see reports of it more when I frequented a low carbers' bulletin board 10 or so years ago. I wonder if low carb diets encourage it more?

I know almost nothing about cellular biology and quantum physics. But it seems like if matter is mostly space and our bodies are mostly water, there might be something possible with ... I don't know... :ohwell:
  • ldrosophila
    Options

We know from really old literature (lovely descriptions in French from the revolution period) that the quality of meat flesh, butter etc is dependent of the "oil" diet of animals when these were changed and that the fat fluidity changed with specific diets exerimentally between butter and margerine in calves, etc. I would guess (guess!) that when you add that to how lipolysis rates occur differently for different lipids the fluidity of tissue is affected.

thats interesting what did they find?