Anyone else not believe in "starvation mode?"

Options

Replies

• Loss4TheWin
    Options
    America is fat because of the poor food quality. Poor kinds of carb people eat and food that are loaded with different kinds of sugar. In America, everything has to be "sweet"(aka loaded with sugar). Chickens, Cows, Hogs fed with antibiotics, GMO crops (usually to be resistant to pesticides)...

This is a very good lecture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpllomiDMX0

1dc865f5baac7864fa0b0fb127903e08.jpeg

Indeed, Eat Aliens for healthy lifestyle!

DamePiglet, you tickle me.
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm hungry.
    n_20880_4.jpg
  • Peachygirl14
    Options
    Your argument is much like the starvation mode argument. By and large inappropriately misused by most people. Yes the type of calorie matters. However as most people don't get the basic in and out concept getting into the nuance of what type of calorie in and type of calorie out is really overkill for the average individual trying to lose weight. 3000 "healthy" calories in and 2000 out will still result in weight increase. Just like 2000 "bad" caloreis in and 3000 out will still result in weight loss. None of which relates to starvation mode which is the topic of this thread.

There is no way an individual would take in 3000 "healthy" calories unless he is 8 foot tall. If you are full, your brains will hardly crave for food, therefore, you will not have the urge to eat.

And 2000 "bad calories" are likely to result to diabetes and other complications.

Again, will you rather take your calories from white sugar from from white rice (or wheat)? Hunger pangs relate to the brains and hunger pangs relate to calorie intake. Would you rather not eat in you are hungry when you've reached your calorie goal or would you rather eat food that make you feel full at the amount of your goal?

If there's nothing in your stomach, your brain will think it is hungry despite meeting his/her calorie goals
  • NeverCatchYourBreath
    Options
    yes, it's not really a real thing. There was a great article about it somewhere, talked about the Holocaust and a Minnesota experiment among other sources. Basically said, if there was a "starvation" mode wouldn't you have seen photos of normal looking chubby people in concentration camps? You've got the gist of the argument, there is indeed some slowing of metabolism but to a much smaller degree than most people think, AND you have to be approaching level of base-body fat % to really get an effect from it.

This is just ridiculous. If a person is actually "starving" by definition (1.lack of food: the state of not having enough food, or of losing strength or dying through lack of food) then obviously you will eventually lose so much weight as to look like someone in a concentration camp. But we have a steady supply of food we're just restricting it by eating smaller portions. People in concentration camps were actually starving to death. We are not. Don't try to compare the two.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Your argument is much like the starvation mode argument. By and large inappropriately misused by most people. Yes the type of calorie matters. However as most people don't get the basic in and out concept getting into the nuance of what type of calorie in and type of calorie out is really overkill for the average individual trying to lose weight. 3000 "healthy" calories in and 2000 out will still result in weight increase. Just like 2000 "bad" caloreis in and 3000 out will still result in weight loss. None of which relates to starvation mode which is the topic of this thread.

There is no way an individual would take in 3000 "healthy" calories unless he is 8 foot tall. If you are full, your brains will hardly crave for food, therefore, you will not have the urge to eat.

And 2000 "bad calories" are likely to result to diabetes and other complications.

Again, will you rather take your calories from white sugar from from white rice (or wheat)? Hunger pangs relate to the brains and hunger pangs relate to calorie intake. Would you rather not eat in you are hungry when you've reached your calorie goal or would you rather eat food that make you feel full at the amount of your goal?

If there's nothing in your stomach, your brain will think it is hungry despite meeting his/her calorie goals

This still appears to have nothing to do with starvation mode. Or reality.

Yes, it is still completely possible to overeat even with "healthy" calories, whatever those may be. Plenty of healthy individuals overeat every day, even when they stick only to foods they thought were healthy. To say nothing of those with a dysfunctional relationship with food.

You know, on second thought, I think this thread needs more .gifs

b7e.gif
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options

My dear, you have no idea what your talking about. Watching one educational series on youtube does not make you knowledgable or an expert. There is no since in reasoning with someone who refuses to see reason. And yes, people can intake 3000 calories, healthy or not. And yes, they can do it without becoming diabetics.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    yes, it's not really a real thing. There was a great article about it somewhere, talked about the Holocaust and a Minnesota experiment among other sources. Basically said, if there was a "starvation" mode wouldn't you have seen photos of normal looking chubby people in concentration camps? You've got the gist of the argument, there is indeed some slowing of metabolism but to a much smaller degree than most people think, AND you have to be approaching level of base-body fat % to really get an effect from it.

This is just ridiculous. If a person is actually "starving" by definition (1.lack of food: the state of not having enough food, or of losing strength or dying through lack of food) then obviously you will eventually lose so much weight as to look like someone in a concentration camp. But we have a steady supply of food we're just restricting it by eating smaller portions. People in concentration camps were actually starving to death. We are not. Don't try to compare the two.

You're actually agreeing with the post that you're referencing. You know that, right?
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    America is fat because of the poor food quality. Poor kinds of carb people eat and food that are loaded with different kinds of sugar. In America, everything has to be "sweet"(aka loaded with sugar). Chickens, Cows, Hogs fed with antibiotics, GMO crops (usually to be resistant to pesticides)...

1dc865f5baac7864fa0b0fb127903e08.jpeg

I was wondering when Giorgio and the Aliens were going to join the party
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Makes me wonder, do Koreans and Japanese "count" their calories and fat intake obsessively or do they just have better portioned diet? They also walk more than most North Americans, which eliminates the "need" to go to the gym weekly.

Both countries have less than 5% obesity rates.
    No, I suspect this is not the case. I think I'm going with your own answer - that greed is less socially acceptable, they are more physically active and the most commonly eaten foods are lower in fat and/or calories.
    OR they have discovered fat-melting magic fairy dust and are refusing to share with the rest of the world!!

It doesn't have to do with greed or activity levels really, as most people in big cities here walk about the same amount. Go into a Japanese McDonald's and order a large soda or a large fry and you'll be shocked at how tiny it is compared to ours. We have just become accustomed to giant portion sizes here.
  • Peachygirl14
    Options

My dear, you have no idea what your talking about. Watching one educational series on youtube does not make you knowledgable or an expert. There is no since in reasoning with someone who refuses to see reason. And yes, people can intake 3000 calories, healthy or not. And yes, they can do it without becoming diabetics.

So if you eat 3000 calories from sugar (aka bad calories) you will not be diabetic. Wow.

Never said I was an expert.

Always counting calories, not trying how the brain responses to food in the stomach. You think you're brain will allow you to eat 3000 calories white rice if you are 5 ft tall and slender and in normal BMI? Defies reason
  • jennegan1
    jennegan1 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Makes me wonder, do Koreans and Japanese "count" their calories and fat intake obsessively or do they just have better portioned diet? They also walk more than most North Americans, which eliminates the "need" to go to the gym weekly.

Just remember good fats are good for the body. Fat doesnt make us "Fat"

Unhealthy fats is what consumes most of Americans Diet therefore thats why we are an obese country

We are an obese country because (in general) we eat more calories than we burn. I don't see how dietary fats come into play here.

Yes plus alot of those foods high in calories also are high in "bad fats"
  • Peachygirl14
    Options

No, I suspect this is not the case. I think I'm going with your own answer - that greed is less socially acceptable, they are more physically active and the most commonly eaten foods are lower in fat and/or calories.
    OR they have discovered fat-melting magic fairy dust and are refusing to share with the rest of the world!!

It doesn't have to do with greed or activity levels really, as most people in big cities here walk about the same amount. Go into a Japanese McDonald's and order a large soda or a large fry and you'll be shocked at how tiny it is compared to ours. We have just become accustomed to giant portion sizes here.

Exactly. A regular size burger in Asia is what a "kiddie" size in the US is.

Korean restaurants are also about size portions. You can eat many yet slowly and feel full but not bloated. Unlike the the US where they give you a huge portions all in one

in a Korean restaurant. They give you side dishes first...then they give you the meat which you cook, then another meat.....you eat slower with this style.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

So if you eat 3000 calories from sugar (aka bad calories) you will not be diabetic. Wow.

Always counting calories, not trying how the brain responses to food in the stomach. You think you're brain will allow you to eat 3000 calories white rice if you are 5 ft tall and slender and in normal BMI? Defies reason

Yeah. I think someone's brain would allow that.

You are not an expert. I'd just stop posting now if I were you.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options

America is fat because we eat way more food than we need to, it's really that simple. Antibiotics and pesticide resistant crops have nothing to do with it.
  • 424a57
    424a57 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    ... We don't just suddenly start to photosynthesize in an effort to hold onto body fat...

I think I know what you're *trying* to say, but...

"Photosynthesis is a process used by plants and other organisms to convert light energy, normally from the sun, into chemical energy that can be used to fuel ..."

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Kids, starvation mode is real and it is white. A pretty lady on the news show told me so.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options

Yeah. I think someone's brain would allow that.

You are not an expert. I'd just stop posting now if I were you.

Haha... Thanks.

Oh and peach. By the way, as a less then 5 foot tall Asian with a normal BMI who eats a prodominately rice based diet. Being usually very athlectic I can put over 3000 calories in my body in a day. Especially when I'm training. Besides, anyone who eats an all rice diet will be JUST as sick as any who eats an all sugar diet. Though the US does have a largly overweight population, malnutrition is still a issue. And BOTH those diets will result in serious health issues.
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    In before the lock.....woooot

and dont forget this little tidbit:

Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy.

And OP is def not accurate with her "findings" LMAO
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

carb people? is this a new race of people made from bread?

peachy is obviously a troll....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    America is fat because of the poor food quality. Poor kinds of carb people eat and food that are loaded with different kinds of sugar. In America, everything has to be "sweet"(aka loaded with sugar)

Hmmm so it has nothing to do with calories then? Thats a relief

From what I can deduce from his lecture, it has to do with the kind of carb/calorie people consume.

Basically boils down to food. To get your calories, will you want to get it from white rice or white sugar?

< gets calories from black rice and black sugar...