Proposal Ideas

Options

Replies

• odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    FLASH. MOB.

C'mon. You've got five days. You can do it...

proposalmob3n-1-web.jpg
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    congrats!

My cousin proposed to his girlfriend on a beach while on vacation, not sure if you have that option.

My other cousin showed up with all his male buddies at his girlfriends house on a night they knew she was having a girls night.
    Each man was dressed in costumes as various member of service, a fireman, a police man, doctor, military and so on.
    They had a boom box and turned on strip music and they began to dance this choreographed routine like the chipndales lol.
    At the end they were all in their speedos and he knelt down and popped the question infront of her and all her girlfriends.
    I think they recorded it too.
  • Artaxia
    Artaxia Posts: 185
    Options
    Don't ask her on New Years or Christmas. It's overused. Other than that, just ask her, be romantic about it.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    However you propose, make sure you follow these rules:

1) Ask her dad's permission beforehand.
    2) Make it a surprise
    3) Have someone secretly there ready to take a picture of the proposal. My husband did this and I love that there are pictures of the moment!
    4) Use her entire name (first, middle and last) when you ask her to marry you!

yes on #2
    #3 - eh...not if you actually want it to be just the two of you.
    #4 - eh...not necessary imo

#1 - First, what is this? 1950? you're both adults, right? There's no need, especially if you're on good terms with her family. And second...and more important, that TOTALLY would depend on her relationship with her father. My dad was lucky he got a phone call letting him know we got engaged (and his troll...er...new wife...was lucky she was included on the wedding invitation - thankfully, she didn't come). My dad has shown no interest in getting to know my hubby in the 8+ years we've been together (he got to know him a bit at the beginning, but after he left my mom, he has literally seen my hubby 5 times in the 7 years since - just after Christmas that first year after he left, at his dad's funeral, at his retirement party, at my other grandpa's funeral, and at our wedding)....heck...he has shown no interest in spending time with my sister and I since, either. So...no way did asking my dad's permission even cross his mind. And since I had always said I would never get remarried, my mom, grandmas and rest of my relatives already treated him like family, anyway.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    I got my wife a digital picture frame for Christmas. The whole month leading up to it I kept harping on how tight money was and lets just do small gifts. And I said I got one gift, it wasn't anything amazing, so don't get your hopes up for something nice like a purse (didn't even mention a ring).

The digital frame was pre loaded with pictures and some of our favorite songs were played on it from our whole relationship with comments on it. Then it was blank screens with words leading ending "Sorry for the deception, but I actually got you two presents...But before i can give it to you I have ask you a question?" Then BOOM...She said No, and broke my heart. I met someone else though.

J/k she said yes.
  • Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    You mentioned she is hinting around she wants something to show off at Christmas. Are you getting together with family and/or friends to exchange gifts and for Christmas dinner? Wait until all the gifts are unwrapped and she has no idea it is coming. Then, "Honey I think there is one more thing for you...."

Proceed with proposal.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    my BF did it on top of the stratosphere in vegas on New Years

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
    wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

who'd he ask?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

who'd he ask?

some random dude i took pics and agreed to be the surrogate
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I got my wife a digital picture frame for Christmas. The whole month leading up to it I kept harping on how tight money was and lets just do small gifts. And I said I got one gift, it wasn't anything amazing, so don't get your hopes up for something nice like a purse (didn't even mention a ring).

The digital frame was pre loaded with pictures and some of our favorite songs were played on it from our whole relationship with comments on it. Then it was blank screens with words leading ending "Sorry for the deception, but I actually got you two presents...But before i can give it to you I have ask you a question?" Then BOOM...She said No, and broke my heart. I met someone else though.

J/k she said yes.

Awwww :) Well done, Ryry :)
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options

J/k she said yes.

Awwww :) Well done, Ryry :)

Why thanks! I get many complements for it being cute and thoughtful. It was my last act of deception before I trapped her forever!!!! Dishes? What dishes? MUHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options

who'd he ask?

some random dude i took pics and agreed to be the surrogate

what a team player! :drinker:
  • sam_r_i
    sam_r_i Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Loving these ideas, I had also considered getting her son involved as well.
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    how old is her son? maybe take him to see santa and have santa hand him the ring to give to his mom then you kneel and tada!
  • smoothoperatorz
    Options
    Ok, trust me on this one. Get the book 'how to propose without screwing it up: 50 common mistakes you won't know you're making and how to avoid them" on amazon. It's a quick read and pretty much covers everything

You can get it through the books website http://www.wowproposals.com or look it up on amazon

Good luck mate!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I know this is going to sound non-committal, but there are a number of things that I think go into this. You want to make it special for her. So how would she like to be proposed to?

Is she someone who likes public displays? Then out in public at a restaurant might be good
    Does she like being a home body? make her a dinner
    if she likes surprises then maybe create an elaborate scavenger hunt that leads her to you wi the ring
    and so on

it should be as simple or as complex as you think she would like...

this is important. All of this.

I would personally be mortified if he asked in front of my family- or his. But in front of strangers in a public setting wouldn't bother me so much.
    It was the middle of the work week (she had a bad day at work which made it better) and we were cooking dinner. I told her I stopped at the store on the way home to get her a little treat and it was in the fridge (she was thinking ice cream or chocolates). I had the ring box in a bag from the grocery store, when she opened the fridge to get the bag and opened it I was behind her on my knee. She knew a ring was coming at some point but was COMPLETELY surprised so it was great
    this- this would piss me off- I don't want my proposal ruined by a bad day I'm already having. nope nope nope nope- if I'm having a bad day- and he proposed- that might result in a no. Seriously- nope. nope nope.
    Well the time pressure kinda takes some of the romance out of it. Does she actually want a fiancee/future husband or an engagement ring to show off?
    This.
    I question the timing of said proposal and the potential shallowness of the potential new fiance.

Good luck either way.
  • askeates
    askeates Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    So a simple idea... have her son help you with fixing a nice dinner, maybe a family movie for the evening.... and casually make a comment about how lovely the tree is, and have the ring dangling from the Angel/Star at the top. Simple, classy.... and she will have it for the holidays, her son is involved and it makes the Angel/Star even more special for years to come.

I do agree, do NOT do it on Christmas Day!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Just picked up the ring and looking for ideas on how to propose to my girlfriend? Thoughts or suggestions please.

The best proposal stories to me are the ones that show you know your future Fiancee. A friend of ours proposed to his wife by saying, do you smell gas (she was a freak about the gas being left on by accident as she was leaving the house) and so she went back to the kitchen to check and there was the ring on the stove. While it may seem lame to some the point is that he knew her so well that he knew exactly how to get her to find the ring.

My husband had a cubic Zarconia showed it to me, then said, "its fake" then he pulled out the box and no that just what the Cubic Zarconia came in but when he opened it. WOW. he didn't even actually ask, LOL.
  • _Fenrir_
    _Fenrir_ Posts: 471
    Options
    Just don't....

I'll second that
  • lindsaylove07
    lindsaylove07 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    bump

Because i want to read these.

I love a good smushy story. So I'm just trollin
  • kiwigal41