What causes failure?

Options
I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I figure I would ask those that are trying to maintain. Lately I have seen several people posting things like "Back to MFP again". I've seen a lot of people on here talking about how they lost weight and then gained some or all of it back so they are back on MFP. Why do people fail? Right now I have the drive in me to lose weight. Once it is lost, I don't want it back. What makes maintaining hard? What can I do to prepare myself better?

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of people fail because they think they are done. I used to think this way. Diet, lose weight, go back to not paying attention. Now I know I will need to weigh at least weekly and be ready to take action if I am over my maximum number. I never want to diet again.
  • Synchronicity
    Synchronicity Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Human nature. Honestly.

We evolved over thousands of years to maximize survival. We seek out calorie dense food to pack on the pounds so that we can survive the long winter months and times of famine when food used to be scarce.

Unfortunately, we live in an age where calorie dense food is easy to find and afford. Famine doesn't exist... at least not in 1st world countries.

Add emotional and social eating to this problem... and... many of us (30% of the USA, at least) tend toward fatness.

It is relatively easy to be careful and diligent for a short period of time... but it is very hard to be diligent over a life-time. And for those of us who have an evolutionary advantage during times of famine >.> and.... well... its really easy to slip up, give in, stop counting (who wants to count calories forever????) and fall back on old habits and behaviors.
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    For me it was always about losing the weight as quickly as possible and ultimately ended when I just couldn't do it anymore either because I was hungry or craving my favourite foods.
  • shirleygirl910
    shirleygirl910 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I think Acogg hit it right on the head. People think they are done. It's a life time change. You have to enjoy the new portions, food and exercise. I know I was lazy and didn't take into consideration how much I was eating. That's how I ended up at 317. I didn't eat really bad, although it wasn't good either. When I get lazy and don't watch portions, I usually blow it. But I've learned too that I pick myself up at that point and start over. I now know what works and when I'm lazy. I can' afford to be lazy any more.
  • Kevalicious99
    Kevalicious99 Posts: 1,131 Member
    Options
    Gaining it back .. caused by one thing, eating too much. Not too difficult of a concept.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I think Acogg hit it right on the head. People think they are done. It's a life time change.
    Yep. I've been on maintenance since May of 2012 and in some ways, it's harder to maintain than to lose. It was exciting to lose weight and get all the compliments but I have to find new ways to keep my head in the game.

I'm not a yo-yoer by any means but I did lose once before and gained much of it back. Not all, but a lot of it. It's because when I hit my goal I thought I could quit tracking my food and I slacked off on exercise. I don't track as meticulously as I used to and will take entire days off from tracking but I'm always conscious of about how many calories I've had each day.
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    So much of our social life is built around food and eating out.
    It makes it very hard. For a long time I never went over 5 pounds
    now I am on track again,
  • CharChary
    CharChary Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    no discipline.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I think those posts you're referring to are mostly people that never lost all the weight in the first place. A lot of people come here with the mindset that it's a diet or plan. No, counting calories and eating food is a forever thing! People want to lose weight as fast as possible and lose big numbers every week, and they get disappointed when they don't.

People also have the mindset that a day over your calorie limit = failing. There are going to be those days. Everyone has them. It doesn't mean you are completely derailed.
  • PersonalTrainerAndy
    Options
    Lack of time, no strength training program, only "kind of" wanting it. Not wanting it as bad as going out, drinking, having cheat days... etc
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    I think they fail because it is just not their time!

When we set out to do things that are within our control, failure is not really an option. Though things can come up and interfere that's not failure, failure is giving up.
  • bentobee
    bentobee Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    In my case I didn't lose ALL the weight and then gain it back, but I did gain back quite a lot of what I had lost (over 20 pounds) (my ticker used to read 59 pounds lost :sad: ) due to illness. I was rendered basically immobile. I had zero appetite for over a month and barely ate, which was followed by medication that made me suddenly RAVENOUS. I've never been so out of control hungry in my life. The combo (being completely lethargic and not hungry, followed by extreme appetite) had a huge impact on my weight. I'm sure my metabolism has slowed to a crawl during my sickness, and then was assaulted by a ****load of calories.

Stuff happens.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    For me it was following a diet that wasn't sustainable long term. I had to start eating out again at lunch (started working in a tiny shop with no option to bring my lunch), and gained it all back plus more because I didn't know how to make healthier choices or how to eat a balanced diet (and yeah I thought I was done).
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    It's hard to keep up with new days-old/weeks-old/months-old habits when trying to change years and years of bad habits.

Life happens. It's not a failure unless you stop trying.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    We forget how or why we gained the weight back.
    Lost the weight because we were paying attention.
    Gained the weight back because we forgot how we gained it, in the first place.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi Jaycie and good question.

IMHO taking your eye off the ball and going back to bad habits can cause failure.

It is so, so easy to fall back into a bad routine.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I found losing weight really easy, just tedious. I had to log. Everything. All the time.

I still do. Now it's just a habit - like brushing my teeth. But if I stopped I can easily imagine my weight slowly going back up over a year or three. I had always been thin. I didn't gain weight until I was 40 and just gained 2 pounds or so a year. That's not a lot of extra eating.

If you don't weigh and you think 'oh, it's just another pound' or 'it's only' . . . it comes back. Like a frog in a pot of water that slowly gets hotter. They never notice until they die.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I wasn't sure where to post this question, so I figure I would ask those that are trying to maintain. Lately I have seen several people posting things like "Back to MFP again". I've seen a lot of people on here talking about how they lost weight and then gained some or all of it back so they are back on MFP. Why do people fail? Right now I have the drive in me to lose weight. Once it is lost, I don't want it back. What makes maintaining hard? What can I do to prepare myself better?

I think it's not planning for lifelong maintenance that leads to falling off the wagon. It's great to reach all the target numbers but pointless if this doesn't become a sustainable way of living.
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Death...at least I read this somewhere. Book titled When You Assume Room Temperature, subtitle it's too late to accomplish your goal.
  • Danilynn1975
    Danilynn1975 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    complacency.

losing focus

stop following the path that got you where you wanted to be