What are you making for Christmas Eve/ Christmas

Options

Replies

• BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve- 12 dishes of different kind of Fish with pasta and shrimp (It's an Italian tradition for my family), I'm not allowed to eat meat on Christmas Eve

Sounds delicious!

My tradition is Swedish meatballs on Christmas Eve. I'll skip the rest of the Swedish food because I don't find it all that tasty. I'll probably have egg noodles and a vegetable to go with them 'cause eggnoodles in gravy = win.

I scored a leg of lamb on sale last week so that will probably be for Christmas day. Or we might go over to our friends' house. Or maybe I'll make a pasta dish since that sounds lovely -- and save the leg of lamb for New Year's.

Oh yeah, and I always have cardamom buns and eggs for Christmas morning, another tradition from my childhood.
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Deer steaks. Not sure about sides yet.

YUM!!! My father in law just gave us some deer steak that I still need to cook up soon, can't wait for that!
  • Carrot muffins (Betty Crocker) with eggs and i'm substituting veggie oil for applesauce. Ham and garlic northern beans.
  • Could u offer ure oreo balls recipe???
  • sweetpea129
    sweetpea129 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Christmas eve we order pizza and wings. So i wont be making anything. Christmas dinner i'm bringing oreo truffles and cornbread.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    My sausage and apple stuffed pork roast, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole or greens because Minxy won't eat the green bean casserole but she'll eat the greens. I just haven't decided which yet.

And I gotta make her cherry crunch because she didn't have any for Thanksgiving.

Yeah, she's running the menu:wink:
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Christmas Eve - Fondue Chinoise with chicken breast and beef, lots of different veggies and light sauces

Christmas Day - An organic free range turkey with all the trimmings cooked by my sister, my mom and myself for the 'bigger' family.

Not logging on those two days. I will be over but not over the moon as we don't cook heavy sauces and there are always lots of steamed veggies.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I had plans on making a Christmas brisket in the smoker like last year, but I think I'm going to a more traditional spread this year.

I'll probably have a turkey, gravy, homemade mashed potatoes, couple loaves of homemade bread, homemade blackberry-cranberry sauce, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and maybe a desert item like cupcakes or something along those lines.

You can make a lot of holiday classic dishes with fewer calories by trimming fat and excess sugar out of ingredients. Depending on the item you're making, you can cut a lot and still maintain flavor and texture if you're careful about it. Last year, I made my mashed potatoes with about 1/2 the calories than the year before per serving, and no one even noticed.

Ummm, homemade blackberry-cranberry sauce?? Please share recipe.

Sure!

You need:

1 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 cup fresh blackberries
    3 cups whole cranberries

Add cranberries, orange juice, and brown sugar to sauce pan, give it a little stir to mix everything together, and heat over medium heat until cranberries pop. Once the cranberries pop, stir frequently. Add blackberries, cover and keep on medium-low heat until gel forms and all sugar is caramelized and there's no runny liquid in the bottom of the pan. You should stir often during this process or the bottom will burn. Remove from stovetop and cool overnight in refrigerator. The consistency should be a loose chunky gel. It's delicious over white meat turkey, and you don't need much since it's very tart and sweet.

ETA: you may need to play around with the amount of sugar you use to get a nice glaze. You might need to use a bit more, but I usually start with 1/4 cup and add 1 tbsp increments until it's the right consistency.
  • sherrirb
    sherrirb Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Lasagna and Sloppy joes! So many of us have multiple get-togethers, with family, in-laws, friends, etc. So I decided to be a bit un-traditional.

I am making a smaller lasagna with sliced zucchini instead of noodles for myself and anyone else that wants to eat a little lighter. Also, weather permitting, will be walking/running a 5k before eating.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    personally I'm making a sugar cookie roll and brownies with strawberries on top that look like santa (by using frosting etc)

my side is zucchini bites - it's zucchini cut into like 1" pieces with the inside scooped out. Place blue cheese to fill it up, top with parm chease, dried basil, and black pepper and top with tomatoes baked at 400 degrees for 6-8 minutes

i used to always make at least one healthy dessert but did not do that this year. there are soooo many substitutions but when it comes to christmas this year i want to eat what I want without substitutes - though there is a great fat free brownie recipe i would make had i not been using frosting on the brownies anyways

we do a family bake off so i have no idea what everyone else will bring :)
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Sounds good people. thanks for the ideas!
  • skyekeeper
    skyekeeper Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I had plans on making a Christmas brisket in the smoker like last year, but I think I'm going to a more traditional spread this year.

I'll probably have a turkey, gravy, homemade mashed potatoes, couple loaves of homemade bread, homemade blackberry-cranberry sauce, pecan pie, pumpkin pie, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, and maybe a desert item like cupcakes or something along those lines.

You can make a lot of holiday classic dishes with fewer calories by trimming fat and excess sugar out of ingredients. Depending on the item you're making, you can cut a lot and still maintain flavor and texture if you're careful about it. Last year, I made my mashed potatoes with about 1/2 the calories than the year before per serving, and no one even noticed.

Ummm, homemade blackberry-cranberry sauce?? Please share recipe.

Sure!

You need:

1 cup orange juice
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1 cup fresh blackberries
    3 cups whole cranberries

Add cranberries, orange juice, and brown sugar to sauce pan, give it a little stir to mix everything together, and heat over medium heat until cranberries pop. Once the cranberries pop, stir frequently. Add blackberries, cover and keep on medium-low heat until gel forms and all sugar is caramelized and there's no runny liquid in the bottom of the pan. You should stir often during this process or the bottom will burn. Remove from stovetop and cool overnight in refrigerator. The consistency should be a loose chunky gel. It's delicious over white meat turkey, and you don't need much since it's very tart and sweet.

ETA: you may need to play around with the amount of sugar you use to get a nice glaze. You might need to use a bit more, but I usually start with 1/4 cup and add 1 tbsp increments until it's the right consistency.

Thank you so much!
  • kiwigal41
    kiwigal41 Posts: 1,059
    Options
    i'll be on my own for xmas eve so probably a salad....maybe a sandwich with it

xmas day....going to my parents house.....turkey, mashed potatoes, carrots, peas, broccoli, gravy.....measured and counted....

no bread, no dessert....one glass of wine, maybe 2....logged.....:)
  • patrickblo13
    patrickblo13 Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Deer steaks. Not sure about sides yet.

Can I come over?!?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    XMAS EVE is finger foods, and treats and LOADS OF BOOZE.
    XMAS DAY,,,, a fine turkey and ham feast.
  • Camera_BagintheUK
    Camera_BagintheUK Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Will probably have a big bowl of Moroccan Chick Pea soup with some nice garlic bread - spicy, filling, warming and not too high cal :bigsmile:
  • iLOVEbabySARA13
    Options
    We're making homemade Chinese food Christmas eve, and I believe a roasted pork loin for Christmas dinner.
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    xmas eve- fried rice, pork stir fry, sweet and sour chicken, crab wontons, cucumber salad

xmas am- bacon and cin rolls

xmas dinner- ham, salad and scalloped potatoes
  • babyj0
    babyj0 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I'm bringing over spicy buffalo wings to my mom's house. :devil:
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    just wanted to get an idea of what people are making for christmas.

Sweet, sweet love