Healthy Spaghetti?

Options

Replies

• ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    what's unhealthy about spaghetti?

It's high in carbs, calories, and has little actual nutrition. Plus, when you eat it, it's often mixed with other unhealthy things, like sugary/fatty sauces, excessive cheese, and fatty meats. And it's easy to overeat.

It's not necessarily "unhealthy", but there are way better options.

tomato sauce is high in vitamin A, C, and lycopene sounds like a winner to me
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

that question has been posed about ten times and the pasta nay sayers have yet to answer…my guess is that it has - gasp - carbs...

I guess I've been doing it wrong all these years then. My question was more for the OP, but I digress.

I like spaghetti, and linguine, and angel hair, and fettuccine, and um pretty much any other type of pasta. Except for whole wheat pasta, it's a little tough for me, definitely not my favorite.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

It's high in carbs, calories, and has little actual nutrition. Plus, when you eat it, it's often mixed with other unhealthy things, like sugary/fatty sauces, excessive cheese, and fatty meats. And it's easy to overeat.

:huh:
  • Biffybeans1
    Biffybeans1 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try Francesco Rinaldi "To Be Healthy" pasta sauces.....no added sugar and reduced sodium. These are really delicious sauces from a jar. Be aware they come in 16 oz. jars, not 26 oz. jars such as Ragu and Prego brand jar sauces.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Bam. Never fails.

And as far as overeating goes...have you tried weighing it then eating? I find it hard to eat more than two ounces when I weigh two ounces. Idk. Just a thought.
  • littlelexical
    littlelexical Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Lol - I suggested the carrot as a pasta alternative -yes. Considering it is quite normal to have grated carrot in the sauce - it seems acceptable it would go with the sauce & is hugely popular amongst low carbers I know. It was also suggested by my dietician (along with zuuchini) as pasta replacement... and yes - I have been there and done that (well mashed cauli & cauli rice) with the Cauliflower... Again - Yay dietician... I don't see her any more.

You may have noticed I also suggested just enjoying the actual pasta and monitoring portion size.... Personally - that would be my choice - but I'm all for giving alternatives & carrot is a valid alternative for some.
  • heypurdy
    heypurdy Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I've heard of making zucchini noodles. But I love spaghetti squash. It definitely does not resemble spaghetti and doesn't taste like it. It tastes like whatever sauce you put on it. I usually sauté some Italian chicken sausage and use a good jarred marinara sauce (Victoria brand). Cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds/guts, olive oil, S&P, roast cut side down for about an hour at 400.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief, everyone's always so literal on this site.

People in Italy don't mix zucchini strips into their pasta. Duh. The point I made was that a lot of Italian recipes use zucchini in them and therefore the flavors often mix well. The first time I went to Italy we made zucchini stuffed with bolognese. It was delicious. Therefore it stands to reason that pasta with bolognese and also zucchini would probably also be delicious.

Did I explain that explicitly enough for you?
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

People in Italy don't mix zucchini strips into their pasta. Duh. The point I made was that a lot of Italian recipes use zucchini in them and therefore the flavors often mix well. The first time I went to Italy we made zucchini stuffed with bolognese. It was delicious. Therefore it stands to reason that pasta with bolognese and also zucchini would probably also be delicious.

Food doesn't work like that. Fish is good with bread crumbs on it. Bread is also good with cheese on it. Using your logic, fish should be good with cheese. Fish and cheese don't go well together at all. Just because two recipes share a common ingredient, that doesn't mean that every ingredient from every recipe goes well together.
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I eat gluten free due to celiac so I buy either quinoa spaghetti noodles or brown rice spaghetti noodles. I buy a jar of pasta sauce. I use lean ground turkey, dice up some onion and green bell pepper, add some herbs, salt and pepper and that's it! My husband loves it.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options

Food doesn't work like that. Fish is good with bread crumbs on it. Bread is also good with cheese on it. Using your logic, fish should be good with cheese. Fish and cheese don't go well together at all. Just because two recipes share a common ingredient, that doesn't mean that every ingredient from every recipe goes well together.

Sorry but can't agree with that. Mornay sauce goes beautifully with many fish and other seafood and it has cheese in it.
  • ElizabethFuller
    ElizabethFuller Posts: 352 Member
    Options

I make my own pasta sauces with no sugar, minimal fat and controlled amounts of cheese. You can have vegetarian pasta dishes that are low calorie (butternut squash and sage is one of my favourites) and you can add bacon or chicken for other family members. Yes, you do have to be careful about portion size but a 3oz (dry weight) portion of pasta with a sauce is neither particularly high calorie or "unhealthy" for a main meal. Now, if someone could just sort out the buttery garlic bread I'll be overjoyed!
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    What's unhealthy about spaghetti?

I'd rather eat the regular stuff and make room for it in my cals. Spaghetti squash sounds nasty. (In my opinion)
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    I'm having tomato and olive pasta for lunch--50 grams of pasta, or 1/2 portion. It's 302 calories and, by the way, I never use sauces out of a jar. I make my own.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

sorry pasta with zucchini sounds gross to me….
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Depends entirely upon which foods. It often works wonderfully. There are LOTS of cheesey fish dishes that are delicious, ever tried deep fried mussels with mozzarella? It's fantastic.

ETA: Someone's going to point out that mussels aren't actually fish. I amend my statement to include parmesan-crusted white fish of most varieties.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Sorry but can't agree with that. Mornay sauce goes beautifully with many fish and other seafood and it has cheese in it.
    Mornay has Parmesan cheese in it, yes, but I'm talking about plopping a slice of cheddar cheese on top of a piece of fish, like you could with bread. Would you prefer me to replace cheese with grape jelly?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    If your husband requested spaghetti I seriously doubt he'll be happy with spaghetti squash as a substitute. I like squash, but it's not spaghetti. Just weigh out your portion, fit it into your calories, and enjoy.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    If your husband requested spaghetti I seriously doubt he'll be happy with spaghetti squash as a substitute. I like squash, but it's not spaghetti. Just weigh out your portion, fit it into your calories, and enjoy.

QFT.... My boyfriend would look at me like I grew another head if I served him spaghetti squash instead of real spaghetti.