Those who cut out sugar

Options

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I've noticed when I cut back on junk food in general it's much easier to maintain....by junk food I mean little debbie snacks, chips, cookies etc....not just sugar. IIFYM doesn't work with me in this case because I tend to go over when I indulge the sweet tooth.

I have a big weakness for them though, so I'm taking it a day at a time.

I don't think you understand what IIFYM is at all.
  • shabl
    shabl Posts: 5
    Options
    Cutting out fruit is not a great idea. Fruits also contain healthy fiber, vitamins and antioxidants, minerals, anti-inflammatory etc., etc. Just avoid the sugar heavy fruits like seedless grapes (bodybuilders call them a gateway drug :) ) and stick with lower GL fruits like bananas, apples, cantaloupe, avacado and berries. Sugar is everywhere and comes in many forms. Read labels and always scan for sugar. Never take anything with added sugar if you can avoid it. A lot of 0% fat products are loaded with sugar. Greek yogurt, skim milk for instance. Remember sugar is sugar regardless of where it comes from, fructose, sucrose, lactose, HFCS etc., etc.. Your body metabolizes it pretty much the same way. It's a simple carb and you want complex carbs like yams, brown rice, whole wheat. You want LESS sugar always.

13221367.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them. But natural sugar provides energy, not to mention the plethora of vitamins you get from fruit. Fruit is also a naturally sweet food, and will stop you from reaching into the cookie jar. Jonesing for a piece of cake or ice cream? Eat a fruit. It'll sate the sweet craving.

I recommend avoiding all added sugars, including artificial sweeteners. The easiest way to accomplish this is to eat *real* food as made in nature, not processed food.

As stated before, any diet or advice that suggests eliminating ALL fruit should set off warning bells.

I recommend avoiding this advice…

so eating fruit sugar will help you avoid eating other sugars, but then don't eat added sugar because that is worse than fruit sugar…sounds legit...

Well ... yeah. Processed sugar is far worse than natural sugar. Fruit sugar isn't 'added' sugar because it's already there by nature. So I followed through with what I said. But of course, still in moderation. If you're tanking out on fruit you could definitely gain weight.

Why is it way worse?
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Here in Australia the health authorities promote TWO fruit n FIVE veg - because fruit does have sugar.

I agree with the posters who say sugar is sugar is sugar .... fruit of course is better than eating a teaspoon or two of sugar because fruit has vitamins, fibre, etc. But it's still sugar when your stomach/bowel processes it.

Some fruits are lower in sugar than others - berries, kiwi fruit etc.

And I love artificially sweetened maple syrup ..... to each his own really.

Calories in, calories out - create a deficit - yep!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them. But natural sugar provides energy, not to mention the plethora of vitamins you get from fruit. Fruit is also a naturally sweet food, and will stop you from reaching into the cookie jar. Jonesing for a piece of cake or ice cream? Eat a fruit. It'll sate the sweet craving.

I recommend avoiding all added sugars, including artificial sweeteners. The easiest way to accomplish this is to eat *real* food as made in nature, not processed food.

As stated before, any diet or advice that suggests eliminating ALL fruit should set off warning bells.

so eating fruit sugar will help you avoid eating other sugars, but then don't eat added sugar because that is worse than fruit sugar…sounds legit...

Well ... yeah. Processed sugar is far worse than natural sugar. Fruit sugar isn't 'added' sugar because it's already there by nature. So I followed through with what I said. But of course, still in moderation. If you're tanking out on fruit you could definitely gain weight.

righhhhhhhhhhhhhh its the added sugar got ya..

sugar does not make you fat….overeating makes you fat...
  • Chizakura
    Chizakura Posts: 29 Member
    Options

Why is it way worse?

I'm not really articulating what I mean correctly, sorry. I guess what I'm trying to say is, at least with fruit you still get fibre and plenty of vitamins. Whereas a lot of items with added sugar are just empty calories, or is added in to make you addicted to it. Often they add in FAR more than what you might find in say an apple.

I do agree that it is still SUGAR in fruit though, which is why I say while you shouldn't cut it out completely, there is definitely such thing as 'too much' when it comes to fruits.
  • bawlzz
    bawlzz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them.

You don't gain weight from sugar, whether it's from fruit or otherwise...you gain weight when you consume more energy (calories) than you require to maintain your weight.

Really, just eat a balanced diet, hit your calories and hit your macros. I do a 40c/30p/30f ratios of macros which is pretty well balanced and I still get to enjoy plenty of carbs...all the fruit and veg...and even eat jelly beans and ice cream...which I'm just heading out the door now to Stone Cold...

Sugar makes you crave more sugar, it's proven. Weight loss is not all about "cals in/cals out do you even lift bro?". Weight loss is all about what you personally can sustain long enough to A.) Lose the weight B.) Keep the weight off. When you take into account how much sugar/carbs are in our daily lives around us you'll realize facts such as these "natural" fruits a.k.a genetically modified to be bigger and sweeter, do not resemble anything natural/whole/balanced or w/e word they're using nowadays to get people to buy their ****.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

As you can gain from eating too much of anything, everything in moderation :-)
  • bunny1006
    bunny1006 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Chizakura
    Chizakura Posts: 29 Member
    Options

WTF?

It's totally fine if you disagree with my point of view, but no need to be so rude. Yeesh.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Why is it way worse?

I'm not really articulating what I mean correctly, sorry. I guess what I'm trying to say is, at least with fruit you still get fibre and plenty of vitamins. Whereas a lot of items with added sugar are just empty calories, or is added in to make you addicted to it. Often they add in FAR more than what you might find in say an apple.

I do agree that it is still SUGAR in fruit though, which is why I say while you shouldn't cut it out completely, there is definitely such thing as 'too much' when it comes to fruits.

I agree that many items that have a lot of added sugar are can have little nutritional value, but in the situation, sugar is not the issue. I know when I am eating a marshmallow I am eating mostly sugar and not much else.
    I just don't get the demonizing sugar. Yeah, you can avoid foods with added sugar which will likely cut down not the amount of nutritionally void foods you eat, but also severely restrict your food choices. Or you could simply focus on eating nutritionally dense foods and limiting those we know have empty calories.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Fruit is healthy. Obviously if you eat too much you can gain weight from all the natural sugars contained within them.

You don't gain weight from sugar, whether it's from fruit or otherwise...you gain weight when you consume more energy (calories) than you require to maintain your weight.

Really, just eat a balanced diet, hit your calories and hit your macros. I do a 40c/30p/30f ratios of macros which is pretty well balanced and I still get to enjoy plenty of carbs...all the fruit and veg...and even eat jelly beans and ice cream...which I'm just heading out the door now to Stone Cold...

Sugar makes you crave more sugar, it's proven. Weight loss is not all about "cals in/cals out do you even lift bro?". Weight loss is all about what you personally can sustain long enough to A.) Lose the weight B.) Keep the weight off. When you take into account how much sugar/carbs are in our daily lives around us you'll realize facts such as these "natural" fruits a.k.a genetically modified to be bigger and sweeter, do not resemble anything natural/whole/balanced or w/e word they're using nowadays to get people to buy their ****.

so your saying if I cut out all sugar then I can eat 4000 calories a day and not gain weight?
  • transmute
    transmute Posts: 50 Member
    Options

so your saying if I cut out all sugar then I can eat 4000 calories a day and not gain weight?

That's not even close to what they said and you know it.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I am not really in this for weight loss, I am trying to be as healthy as I can be because I have an auto immune disease that gives me a great deal of pain. I do eat sugar in moderation, but it has to be as close to unprocessed as it can be. I have found that if I eat foods that have been overly refined and processed, my pain levels are dramatically higher than if I eat food closest to their natural state as possible. It works well for both the way I look and the way I feel.

I like to eat, a lot. I have found that I am not able to eat processed sweets and stay with in my macros, which is okay once and a while, but not as a norm for my lifestyle. I also have a hard time believing that if processed sugar treats give me a lot of pain, that they are not bad for you. Of course I had to come down with this stupid disease to realize this.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options

What was actually said didn't even provide a complete thought. I think he made a pretty generous attempt at deciphering it though
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Things don't become true just because they sound so nice and you want them to be true.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

How do you know what he knows? Presumptuous much? Or just a mind reader?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is all about what you personally can sustain long enough to A.) Lose the weight B.) Keep the weight off. When you take into account how much sugar/carbs are in our daily lives around us you'll realize facts such as these "natural" fruits a.k.a genetically modified to be bigger and sweeter, do not resemble anything natural/whole/balanced or w/e word they're using nowadays to get people to buy their ****.

Yeah, "never eat ice cream or cake or cookies or pie ever again; also, avoid most fruit" sounds 100% sustainable for most people. Well done.
  • ndj1979
    Options

poster specifically said that it is not about "calories in vs calories out" and also said that added sugar is bad for you…hence, if I cut out all sugar then I can eat as many calories as I want, because it is not all about calories in vs calories out", right?
  • bawlzz
    bawlzz Posts: 12 Member
    Options

Funny you say that, although im sure in a sarcastic way. There are actually people who have tried and logged this. If I remember correctly they did not, but i'm not confident enough in that case to say otherwise. I could probably dig something up with a google search, but anyway.

No that's not at all what i'm saying, obviously a calorie deficit still needs to be in place if you want to steadily lose weight. My point simply is, there is more than just maintaining a deficit. You could in theory lose weight eating nothing but candy bars as long as you keep a deficit right? That's insane of course, and you can only imagine how hungry you would be all day every day. If a "balanced" diet works for you, great. Everyone should stick to what works for them. There is no one size fits all, but cutting out sugar almost completely will help you drop the weight easily, and if you follow the HFLC diet you won't ever be hungry doing it. Just my opinions, i'll try to find that article.